Fallout 3: GOTY edition $40 (Amazon, FS, PS3)

I've gotta say, this was probably the most boring game I've ever played. I platinumed it over the weekend (yeah, "Why would you play a game for 40 hours if you don't like it?" I had nothing else to do.).
It just felt like a gigantic waste of time, exploring huge environments with nothing to do in them. I'd look through a big building with rooms that all looked the same for the small chance that I'd find some special weapon, or a bobblehead, and 1% of the time I'd find something that advanced the game. This is one of the most overrated games I've ever played.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']I've gotta say, this was probably the most boring game I've ever played. I platinumed it over the weekend (yeah, "Why would you play a game for 40 hours if you don't like it?" I had nothing else to do.).
It just felt like a gigantic waste of time, exploring huge environments with nothing to do in them. I'd look through a big building with rooms that all looked the same for the small chance that I'd find some special weapon, or a bobblehead, and 1% of the time I'd find something that advanced the game. This is one of the most overrated games I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

I sort of agree. I beat the main quest, several side quests, and all of the DLC and what I found left to do in the game was just random exploring places with nothing really to do once you found them. I really enjoyed the bigger quests but I sold it once I was done. Between that and how horribly it would lock up I was all done with it.

[quote name='Serpent01']Fallout: New Vegas is being made by a different company. (the one that made the first two games in the series)[/QUOTE]

Huh?

Fallout 1 & 2 = Interplay and Black Isle.

Fallout 3 = Bethesda

Fallout: New Vegas = Bethesda and Obsidian

The only rights to Fallout Interplay has right now is for the MMO and to sell their old games. Though much of this is up in the air with the legal battle between the two companies, it has not changed who is developing or publishing any of the titles. So no, New Vegas is not being made by the same company that made the first two games in the series.

[quote name='Casteor']Well, I guess you guys aren't the RPG type.[/QUOTE]

depends on the RPG.

I LOVED Demon's Souls, the Final Fantasy games (before the PS2 era), Dark Cloud, and Okami.

On the other hand, I hated Zelda and Fallout.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']depends on the RPG.

I LOVED Demon's Souls, the Final Fantasy games (before the PS2 era), Dark Cloud, and Okami.

On the other hand, I hated Zelda and Fallout.[/QUOTE]

I'm an RPG fan and a shooter-genre fan, so I'm sure Fallout 3 will bode well with me.

I'll wait until a price drop and/or a patch release. The reviews as well as the comments on their message board have scared me away. Although I wonder what the percentage of users it affects (if not almost everyone).

[quote name='Serpent01']Fallout: New Vegas is being made by a different company. (the one that made the first two games in the series)[/QUOTE]

New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, which was founded by former members of Black Isle, the company that developed the original Fallout games as well as Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. But it's a different company as Black Isle Studios was dissolved in 2003.

[quote name='SentryOmega']I'll wait until a price drop and/or a patch release. The reviews as well as the comments on their message board have scared me away. Although I wonder what the percentage of users it affects (if not almost everyone).[/QUOTE]

I'm with you bud, I want it and have it for 360, but I'm currently switching over to ps3 and the reviews have scared me off, at least at 40 bucks.

[quote name='SentryOmega']I'll wait until a price drop and/or a patch release. The reviews as well as the comments on their message board have scared me away. Although I wonder what the percentage of users it affects (if not almost everyone).[/QUOTE]

Which version are you talking about? I find that people will complain about things not working on sites, but people who have everything working have no motivation to go to sites. I think I have had Fallout 3 crash once on me, and with a game with that kind of scope, you just need to accept that not every possible thing you think of could of been playtested.

Whether people like or dislike games is so subjective, adding opinions here really does nothing to add to the discussion.

[quote name='fyrflash1969']Which version are you talking about? I find that people will complain about things not working on sites, but people who have everything working have no motivation to go to sites. I think I have had Fallout 3 crash once on me, and with a game with that kind of scope, you just need to accept that not every possible thing you think of could of been playtested.

Whether people like or dislike games is so subjective, adding opinions here really does nothing to add to the discussion.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about PS3 version? And have you played the addons? I heard that is the bad part.

[quote name='ruiner']I'm with you bud, I want it and have it for 360, but I'm currently switching over to ps3 and the reviews have scared me off, at least at 40 bucks.[/QUOTE]

It's just The Pitt add-on that has the major freezes...at least that's what I've read, I haven't tried it myself yet.

I haven't played any of the add-ons yet (don't know if I will), but I played everything up until that and completed the game with maybe 4 or 5 freezes total.

if you have a 360, you ll enjoy the least buggy version of all three
if you have a PC, you ll get GECK editor for free
if you have a PS3, buy the old version not the GOTY version, the DLCs are some bugfest, also tbh these DLCs arent that great to make your money worth

btw: I havent encountered a single freeze during my play of original Fallout 3 on 360

How much is Oblivion GOTY now?

[quote name='Jonsoncao']if you have a 360, you ll enjoy the least buggy version of all three
if you have a PS3, buy the old version not the GOTY version, the DLCs are some bugfest, also tbh these DLCs arent that great to make your money worth

btw: I havent encountered a single freeze during my play of original Fallout 3 on 360

How much is Oblivion GOTY now?[/QUOTE]

It's $30.

I bought it NEW PS3 for $20

[quote name='Jonsoncao']if you have a 360, you ll enjoy the least buggy version of all three

How much is Oblivion GOTY now?[/QUOTE]

i got the PC version and was happy to say the least. my rig was able to handle the game with decent frame rates.

[quote name='fyrflash1969']Which version are you talking about? I find that people will complain about things not working on sites, but people who have everything working have no motivation to go to sites. I think I have had Fallout 3 crash once on me, and with a game with that kind of scope, you just need to accept that not every possible thing you think of could of been playtested.

Whether people like or dislike games is so subjective, adding opinions here really does nothing to add to the discussion.[/QUOTE]
The PS3 version although I'm not really talking about in-game glitches like stuff getting stuck and not working properly. A lot of people are reporting that the game full on crashes every once and a while, and can get as bad as crashing every few minutes making it unplayable.

[quote name='SentryOmega']The PS3 version although I'm not really talking about in-game glitches like stuff getting stuck and not working properly. A lot of people are reporting that the game full on crashes every once and a while, and can get as bad as crashing every few minutes making it unplayable.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion can feel "glitchy" as well. I have Oblivion GOTY on PS3 and Fallout 3 is a similar game.

Regardless of these glitches, I'll get it at $20 or $30.

[quote name='Lordgestle']I'm waiting also.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if its because they are still selling the DLC for it.

[quote name='Shady3011']Where the fuck is the deal on the 360 version?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been watching and waiting for this too. Kind of frustrating that they've price matched the other versions, but not the 360 one. They have a fairly good price on the strategy guide and I was thinking about throwing that in with the order.

[quote name='consoleman']I've been reading some of the reviews on the PS3 version on Amazon and there were a number of comments on game lockups which kept me from jumping in on this deal and wanting to wait to get the XB360 version instead.[/QUOTE]

The 360 version of the game is only marginally better. As with all Bethesda games, it's a crashy bug fest, but it's a blast to play.

And for all you people bitching about the 360 version not being on sale, just go to Best Buy. It's $40 there all week.

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']
And for all you people bitching about the 360 version not being on sale, just go to Best Buy. It's $40 there all week.[/QUOTE]

Yup...$39.99 plus tax...would have preferred Amazon but I'm playing now versus waiting for something that may not happen. I can't believe that the 2nd disc just installs without any codes, etc. - so essentially if I loaned the disc full of all 5 DLC (worth $10 a pop) my buddy could have the GOTY version just using his basic F3 disc (disc 1 is just a re-labled standard F3 disc).

[quote name='sk3tchcom']Yup...$39.99 plus tax...would have preferred Amazon but I'm playing now versus waiting for something that may not happen. I can't believe that the 2nd disc just installs without any codes, etc. - so essentially if I loaned the disc full of all 5 DLC (worth $10 a pop) my buddy could have the GOTY version just using his basic F3 disc (disc 1 is just a re-labled standard F3 disc).[/QUOTE]

Yeah

[quote name='mywhitenoise']It's just The Pitt add-on that has the major freezes...at least that's what I've read, I haven't tried it myself yet.

I haven't played any of the add-ons yet (don't know if I will), but I played everything up until that and completed the game with maybe 4 or 5 freezes total.[/QUOTE]

For me it was FLAWLESS during the main quest. As soon as I finished the main quest and launched into Broken Steel it would get laggy(like 30 seconds of freezing then would slowly go back to normal) or would hard freeze required a restart of the PS3. This occurred during ALL of the DLC (Broken Steel, Point Lookout, The Pitt, Operation Anchorage, and Mothership Zeta).

Now, perhaps if you play the other DLC BEFORE finishing the main quest and doing broken steel, you won't have the problems. The thing is though I found most of the DLC pretty damn hard so I wanted to level up more than the level 20 the main game lets you. Great game and still worth playing but I'm very glad I was able to sell my copy for around 40 bucks!

bread's done
Back