Fallout 3--which system?

[quote name='Meaning_of_lif']Does anyone know if the achievements will be available if you install on Windows XP?[/quote]
Yes, I'm playing it on Windows XP and I already have several achievements.

Just bought the Lunch Kit edition of Fallout for the PC. Decided on PC since I've started with Fallout on the PC, it'll continue to be on PC.

Sides I could just connect my computer to the TV if I wanted to play on the big screen. Its a shame that I can't start playing till Thursday due to Exams *Sad face*

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Didn't realize this had DRM. Well what doesn't have DRM these days? I'm still getting it for PC for obvious reasons.[/quote]
I read a post on another site and the DRM is a form of Securom. The poster couldn't launch the game due to conflicts with Daemon Tools. He ended up using a NOCD crack to get the game running.

Well, it looks like the Xbox 360 version for me.

Getting the PC Version for sure, mostly because I prefer these types of games on the PC with a Keyboard and Mouse. (That and I got a new PC :D)

Yeah, the game uses SecuROM, but only for the disc check. It doesn't install crap like Spore or FarCry 2 would, but it will have conflicts if it finds Daemon Tools installed.

Anyone running this with 256 video card RAM? The recommended specs say a 512MB video card?

Just wondering how my 256MB Radeon HD 3400 will run on my laptop before I buy it.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Whats your other specs for your laptop? I doubt it'l be able to run it very well, I'd say get it for the 360[/QUOTE]

It's a pretty new laptop

Thinkpad t400
XP Pro
2.53 Core 3 Duo (6mb L2)
3gb RAM

I think my main weakness is the video card.

From my understanding the worst weak link to have is your VC. Others may have different opinion, I would be curious if anyone can find any articles on this with actual benchmarks to back up an opinion.

[quote name='eswat']Yeah, the game uses SecuROM, but only for the disc check. It doesn't install crap like Spore or FarCry 2 would, but it will have conflicts if it finds Daemon Tools installed.[/QUOTE]

I've got Daemon Tools Lite and haven't had any problems installing or running the game. I unloaded it of course but it didn't care.

[quote name='OGHowie']Anyone running this with 256 video card RAM? The recommended specs say a 512MB video card?

Just wondering how my 256MB Radeon HD 3400 will run on my laptop before I buy it.[/QUOTE]

On the PC I'm playing on all I have is a Radeon 2400 PRO and it runs on medium settings just fine. For fun I installed it on a P4 2.4 GHz system with a 6600GT video card and it even ran on low settings on that! I think you'll be fine.

[quote name='keithp']What don't you like? Seems alot better than Oblivion, and I had fun with that despite it's flaws. Plus, it's FALLOUT, y'know? One of the best damn settings in gaming history! Not to mention the replay value it should have. Add in mods, and ohhhhh, yah, ba-b-y-y-y-y-!!!!![/quote]

It was the combat, dialogue, and quests that sounded bad, but I picked it up and HOLY fuck this game is awesome :lol: Totally exceeded my expectations and yeah, it destroys Oblivion.

ah man, this game sounds like a blast and i haven't been able to start playing yet because of work. i also have this crazy habit of finishing games before i start the next. so i need to finish far cry 2 first. yeah yeah, i know a lot of people don't like it, but i'm having a good time :)

[quote name='ninja dog']It was the combat, dialogue, and quests that sounded bad, but I picked it up and HOLY fuck this game is awesome :lol: Totally exceeded my expectations and yeah, it destroys Oblivion.[/quote]

Oblivion may not have been to everyone's tastes (no game is, thankfully), but many people really enjoyed it, myself among them.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']ah man, this game sounds like a blast and i haven't been able to start playing yet because of work. i also have this crazy habit of finishing games before i start the next. so i need to finish far cry 2 first. yeah yeah, i know a lot of people don't like it, but i'm having a good time :)[/quote]

I certainly plan on playing Far Cry 2 at some point! Probably on PC. Does it have the achievement features and what not of Windows Live? Even if not, I'll probably go PC, although I wish they'd fix the widescreen problem where all they do is zoom the camera in to get "widescreen".

Wow. The load times are disgustingly fast. As soon as I hit quickload the game just pops up. Very nice.

and FarCry 2 doesn't have GFW Live, so no achievements.

EDIT: Checked out the GFW LIVE list, and Dawn of War II will have LIVE. Interesting...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I certainly plan on playing Far Cry 2 at some point! Probably on PC. Does it have the achievement features and what not of Windows Live? Even if not, I'll probably go PC, although I wish they'd fix the widescreen problem where all they do is zoom the camera in to get "widescreen".[/quote]

no, there is no windows live integration, so therefore, no achievements :cry: it is a bummer, but we as PC gamers have gone without achievements for a long time so it's not as big a deal to me. i do believe there is a FOV fix for the improper widescreen. i forgot the link tho. whoops.

Can anyone who got Fallout 3 from Steam comment on how it is? Does it do away with Securom, and are the achievements intact? Any stability issues?

game ran pretty well in the beginning inside closed environments but it started chugging once out in the open world.

im a little lost....as i dont really understand the map

[quote name='guyver2077']game ran pretty well in the beginning inside closed environments but it started chugging once out in the open world.

im a little lost....as i dont really understand the map[/QUOTE]

Did you play Oblivion? It's the same really.

I'm loving the game! GOTY for me, no question.

Getting into Rivet City. So far the game is good, having a blast with the side quests.

One question: can you get followers? Can they die and be revived?

I started playing this today and it is pretty awesome! I just left the vault but I hope I picked the right skills. I am overloaded in strength and my skills are medic, small guns, and melee weapons.

[quote name='Staind204']I started playing this today and it is pretty awesome! I just left the vault but I hope I picked the right skills. I am overloaded in strength and my skills are medic, small guns, and melee weapons.[/quote]

Well, to each their own, and I hate to tear ya down and all, but I've personally found medic and melee weapons rather useless. Small guns, on the other hand, is supremely useful. You'll want to utilize that to shoot people, and you'll probably never bother with melee weapons. Unless you really enjoy them or something, but optimally speaking, you'd want to use your tag on something else.

I focus on small guns, sneak (I'm always sneaking around) and speech (for the conversations). Repair is also really useful. And you'd want science and lockpicking... There are obviously too many useful skills to tag them all, but I wouldn't tag anything except one type of weapon, particularly small guns, and then whatever skills work with whatever style you want to play.

I am about at the level cap (about 19.5) and feel like I've barely scratched the surface of exploring/side missions. I have a feeling I'm in the last 25% of the story mode.

I've really enjoyed this game. I'm guilty of hardly finishing anything, but I really think I'm going to finish the story mode. I plan on actually playing through again after all the downloadable content is out as well. The last game I played through multiple times was probably something on the first playstation, lol.

Got this for $30 on BF at amazon, a really great deal.

Man I picked this up at CC for 50 (the CE) and what a great game. My system has no problems running it. The direct x 10 effects look good.

I am really digging this game. Right now I am doing the research quests for that scientist from Megaton.

At this time I am inside the subway station trying not only to get a crippled limb, but taking on that mission that other scientist wants me to do, like inject the queen fire ant's eggs with some sort of mutigen so they will stop growing so big. Now I am at that room with the flashing light and found the safe but it won't let me open it, it says I have to have a level 50 lock pick and I am at 38... do I really need to open that safe to inject the eggs?

Also do I have to pay Mortitey those 300 caps to finish that dad information quest? I did do it and all I got was a checkpoint to the GNR location, which if I try hard enough, I could discover on my own.

overall great game...god damn fireants!!!

Aw man, I picked up the PC version for 2 reasons (over the 360 version): 1) i thought the DLC would be free for PC (see Mass Effect/TF2), and 2) mod possibilities.

So I hope there's some kickass mods or some other cool reason I missed, cause I dropped retail on this bitch (haven't done that in a while). And while the 360 version was on sale at Target for $10 cheaper (so "free" DLC basically).

Still, seems like a cool game.

[quote name='52club']I am about at the level cap (about 19.5) and feel like I've barely scratched the surface of exploring/side missions. I have a feeling I'm in the last 25% of the story mode.

I've really enjoyed this game. I'm guilty of hardly finishing anything, but I really think I'm going to finish the story mode. I plan on actually playing through again after all the downloadable content is out as well. The last game I played through multiple times was probably something on the first playstation, lol.

Got this for $30 on BF at amazon, a really great deal.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I'm almost to the level cap and haven't done hardly ANY of the story missions. I'm around 50 hours I think. I really like just taking off and finding what kind of stuff is out in the world! Since it's Fallout I'm sure I'll play through multiple times trying different characters and ways to solve quests. I plan on making an evil character next (playing good this time), and then a smooth-talker who abhors violence...should be fun...

[quote name='humidore']Aw man, I picked up the PC version for 2 reasons (over the 360 version): 1) i thought the DLC would be free for PC (see Mass Effect/TF2), and 2) mod possibilities.

So I hope there's some kickass mods or some other cool reason I missed, cause I dropped retail on this bitch (haven't done that in a while). And while the 360 version was on sale at Target for $10 cheaper (so "free" DLC basically).

Still, seems like a cool game.[/QUOTE]

Mods are already out. Tons in development. The place to be is the Bethesda forum. Just looking at the mods forum is beautiful, makes me truly feel sorry for anybody who didn't purchase the PC version.

Two mods to watch:

DarNified UI F3 (from the creator of the best/most popular Oblivion UI mod): http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=929918

Mart's Mutant Mod (from the creator of the best/most popular creature mod for Oblivion): http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=932382

Using an 8800 GT and a Q6600 I'm able to run Fallout 3 at 1920x1200, all settings maxed, it looks glorious. Far better than any X360/PS3 game I've played. Plus, it was $10 cheaper than the console versions. Seems like a no brainer if you've got a decent comp.

Never mind

I took out the Ant Queen.

Now on that mission where I have to put some sort of Observer at some nest of those crab like thingies WITHOUT KILLING ONE OF THEM, even though ALL OF THEM ARE STALKING ME, including the KING!! Not to mention the nest is in radioactive water which my radiation suit isn't doing much to help.

So, should I even continue helping this chick out with her research or just give up and do something else?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Never mind

I took out the Ant Queen.

Now on that mission where I have to put some sort of Observer at some nest of those crab like thingies WITHOUT KILLING ONE OF THEM, even though ALL OF THEM ARE STALKING ME, including the KING!! Not to mention the nest is in radioactive water which my radiation suit isn't doing much to help.

So, should I even continue helping this chick out with her research or just give up and do something else?
[/QUOTE]

I finished those quests, but gave up on trying not to kill any of them. You don't get the best reward, but oh well. The radiation water I think I just ran through, but I always carry alot of RadAway and Rad-X.

I just want a mod that removes the level cap. I understand the purpose, but shouldn't the choice be left up to the player? It seems like to me they included the level cap based on economic factors (encourage DLC that removes the level cap) more so than game play factors.

I've got 11 missions left, based on my outstanding achievements. I will no doubt finish the game. Especially since at level 20 you get a perk that essentially gives unlimited VATS against most enemies. I'm also hoping to knock out some of accumulative ones as well (kill 300 people, discover 100 locations, etc).

[quote name='52club']I just want a mod that removes the level cap. I understand the purpose, but shouldn't the choice be left up to the player? It seems like to me they included the level cap based on economic factors (encourage DLC that removes the level cap) more so than game play factors.

I've got 11 missions left, based on my outstanding achievements. I will no doubt finish the game. Especially since at level 20 you get a perk that essentially gives unlimited VATS against most enemies. I'm also hoping to knock out some of accumulative ones as well (kill 300 people, discover 100 locations, etc).[/quote]

Yeah--there's a lot to do in the game, and it seems short-sighted not to expect someone to do as much as they can on a single play-thru. Factor in DLC, and there are people who are going to go way beyond the level cap. Even without DLC, it's a problem that it seems they should have anticipated. I do think their DLC will increase the level cap and add new perks, probably, as well as tackle the whole issue of the fact that when you finish the game, it ostensibly "ends".

It's a problem in Fable 2 as well, maybe more of a problem. I did everything I could in the game during the course of a single play-thru, and way before the end, I'd purchased every single spell and ability I could. It was pretty awkward. It's supposed to be a game where you use your experience to mold your character in the way you want to play. That's fine, but it loses some of the point if, well before the end of the game, you've not only maxed out the paths you've chosen but also acquired every single ability outside of the paths you'd planned. And now with more quests coming in DLC, even if they add new abilities, I've got enough experience built up that I could probably buy them all. Again, we run into the same problem.

All this customizability is great, and I understand level caps and their need (Fallout 3 might become totally unbalanced if the player were allowed to rise 10 levels above the cap), but there also comes a time when it feels a little pointless to be getting experience at all if there's nothing to spend it on, and even if there is something to spend it on, you end up going the kitchen sink route. Kind of defeats the purpose of one of the main mechanics in an RPG.

[quote name='52club']I just want a mod that removes the level cap. I understand the purpose, but shouldn't the choice be left up to the player? It seems like to me they included the level cap based on economic factors (encourage DLC that removes the level cap) more so than game play factors.

I've got 11 missions left, based on my outstanding achievements. I will no doubt finish the game. Especially since at level 20 you get a perk that essentially gives unlimited VATS against most enemies. I'm also hoping to knock out some of accumulative ones as well (kill 300 people, discover 100 locations, etc).[/QUOTE]

Here is a mod that slows your leveling: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=97

Here is one that removes the cap; there are several available, but this one has the most downloads (2x more than the next most popular) and the highest rating on Nexus: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=121

[quote name='keithp']
I finished those quests, but gave up on trying not to kill any of them. You don't get the best reward, but oh well. The radiation water I think I just ran through, but I always carry alot of RadAway and Rad-X.
[/QUOTE]

During the course of the game, you can pick up some of the Stealth Boy and use it even if you're not a stealth specced character. That was the only time that thing came in handy for me. Turn it on, creep around for a bit and voila! Mission done :)

I wish there were many more levels, and enemies got much more difficult... that's a gripe I have with a lot of western RPGs, low level caps. I wish western RPGs took after JRPGs, giving ~100 levels and letting the typical end-game level be about half that, adding a few legendary enemies to level up for.

[quote name='kamui34']
During the course of the game, you can pick up some of the Stealth Boy and use it even if you're not a stealth specced character. That was the only time that thing came in handy for me. Turn it on, creep around for a bit and voila! Mission done :)
[/quote]

I actually have a few of those in storage.

in Megaton's womans and men bathrooms lol. I am sure it's safe there right?

Anyways the mission says place the observer at the Memorial. It means outside of it, or inside the actual caves underneath with the King? I didn't get anything from the chick , just the mission.. so I just use my stealth boy and walk around the nest til the mission is complete and that's it?

Also, what the hell is with those 3 guys trying to kill me that has a contract out to get me? Who did I piss off to get this on my head? I can take care of them, but after awhile it gets annoying to speed travel to a point and have them waiting for me there.:bomb:

[quote name='ITDEFX']I actually have a few of those in storage.

in Megaton's womans and men bathrooms lol. I am sure it's safe there right?

Anyways the mission says place the observer at the Memorial. It means outside of it, or inside the actual caves underneath with the King? I didn't get anything from the chick , just the mission.. so I just use my stealth boy and walk around the nest til the mission is complete and that's it?

Also, what the hell is with those 3 guys trying to kill me that has a contract out to get me? Who did I piss off to get this on my head? I can take care of them, but after awhile it gets annoying to speed travel to a point and have them waiting for me there.:bomb:

Ok, never mind.

After multiple reloads and usage of SB's (only had 3 :hot: ), I managed to get thru the facility and into the lair (with the king) by luck and random glitches (like the Merleks getting stuck between objects and me running like crazy). Stealth boys were fairly useless even when walking around. Planted my observer and ran like hell out of there.
But man, kind of scary when one argos you and starts FOLLOWING you up and down the stairs and passed lock doors I was like holy fuck I am being stalked and that's when things got scary.

Anyways I am at Rivet City and just picked up the quest to pick up the historical document and to find that android.

I have yet to pay Morioty his 300 caps to tell me where my dad went (even though I know he's gonna give me the GNR map marker).
[/quote]
nvm

Just beat Fallout 1 and 2 on workmens comp time (yay for one handed games!)

Gotta say FO3 is the best of the bunch outside of the endings which the first two did so well on.

I've got this on both 360 and PC. I played through it on 360, and on the PC I've got 2 chars going. One is a legit one that I'm playing through the storyline again with. The other is basically pure evil and is for screwing around. I've found a couple of fun mods, like ones that modify power armor to work like they did in older Fallout games (such as the fact that they should carry their own weight when worn), and things like that. Glad I picked up the PC version!

Wish there was an "autosave every X mins" or something similar...crashed to desktop twice last nite in Greyditch. Game still has me coming back like a bitch!

I have been messing around with the console/debugger that was left open on the PC. It basically allows you do to anything including max out your character, unlock doors, and adjust inventory. I'm sure I was the only one not aware it existed other than thinking, why every time I hit the "~" key it would let me type on the screen.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_console_commands

Is it cheating, yes. However in a post apocalyptic world, would you not do what you need to do to get what you deserve (with the imposed level cap)?

A new patch has been released.
Careful... this patch bugs out of the PC version of the game. Subtitles and options aren't showing up causing it to lock you out of the game and having to quit it completely. Damn it! :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']A new patch has been released.
Careful... this patch bugs out of the PC version of the game. Subtitles and options aren't showing up causing it to lock you out of the game and having to quit it completely. Damn it! :([/quote]

I still this is the curse of the words below the avatar. I'm going to do more research on this patch.

[quote name='hero101']I still this is the curse of the words below the avatar. I'm going to do more research on this patch.[/quote]

ok I just did a rollback on my computer. Seems to have fixed the problem.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok I just did a rollback on my computer. Seems to have fixed the problem.[/quote]

How do you roll back? After the patch my mouse movements are super sensitive on the menus/Pip Boy, and VAT is also very touchy on selection. Fiddling with mouse sensitivity does nothing since normal in game is fine.

bread's done
Back