Fallout: New Vegas – Ultimate Edition (PC)

Crystal Shards

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Fallout: New Vegas – Ultimate Edition (PC)

The Scores:
Story: GOOD
Graphics: DECENT
Sound: DECENT
Control and Gameplay: DECENT
Replayability: MEDIOCRE
Balance: MEDIOCRE
Originality: ENJOYABLE
Addictiveness: MEDIOCRE
Appeal Factor: GOOD
Miscellaneous: GOOD
FINAL SCORE: ABOVE AVERAGE GAME

Short Attention Span Summary
Fallout: New Vegas – Ultimate Edition feels old compared to other games released during this time, but it works for the most part. The story and characters are fine, and the inclusion of the DLC is nice, but I can’t say I was impressed with this particular title. It really just boils down to this: if I were introducing someone to the Fallout universe, this would not be the game that I would choose for him/her to start with. There’s really no other way to explain how I feel about this game. It worked fine, for the most part, but it’s by no means a game I’m going to come back to anytime soon, and if I do come back to it, I’d probably just start over entirely.

Does it go MEDIOCRE < DECENT < ABOVE AVERAGE < GOOD < ENJOYABLE?

The brevity of your review suggests to me that you didn't really play the game. Or rather you didn't pay attention. I've found that people who actually play FNV/F3, no matter what they think of it, have a lot more to say than, "There’s really no other way to explain how I feel about this game."

They bitch about the choices, or the lack of choices, or they commend the warped sense of humor, or they discuss the music, or the lack of music, or useless base stats, or neglected weapons, or awesome weapons, or stupid perks, or creative quest lines. They don't restrict their thoughts to an extremely vague summary.

Try again.

[quote name='dothog']Does it go MEDIOCRE < DECENT < ABOVE AVERAGE < GOOD < ENJOYABLE?

The brevity of your review suggests to me that you didn't really play the game. Or rather you didn't pay attention. I've found that people who actually play FNV/F3, no matter what they think of it, have a lot more to say than, "There’s really no other way to explain how I feel about this game."

They bitch about the choices, or the lack of choices, or they commend the warped sense of humor, or they discuss the music, or the lack of music, or useless base stats, or neglected weapons, or awesome weapons, or stupid perks, or creative quest lines. They don't restrict their thoughts to an extremely vague summary.

Try again.[/QUOTE]

If you click the link posted at the very beginning of the article, you can read the full review. I simply provided a summary in case people didn't feel like doing so.

I'm talking about the summary. It's vague.

As for the full review, even if you don't like FNV, saying that it has the "potential for replayability" is quite an understatement. The last 30-40% of the main narrative annoys the hell out of me, but that hasn't prevented me from playing it out at least 3 times. And I'm fall from a typical Fallout fan, it's my first introduction to the series.

I'm still confused about the rating metric. You might want to qualify that in future reviews. Or if you'd rather not, you might consider making it more dynamic to widen the audience. Throw in Schrute bucks and Stanley nickels, for instance.

I'm sorry. I just didn't get excited about the game. It was buggy, and it just... I mean, it was okay, but it wasn't fantastic. That's why I said it has a potential for replayability: if you want to do so, the option is definitely there. But if you weren't really impressed with it, as is what happened with me, why would you? And if having a different opinion than you means I "obviously didn't play the game," then I don't really know what to tell you. I'm willing to have a discussion with you, but not if you're going to talk to me like that. This was the first Fallout game I've actually played and not just watched play, but sorry, I just... wasn't excited over it. That's okay; reviews are just opinions, after all. If you don't agree, that's fine. You can write your own review. That's how the system works. This isn't to say I'm not open to discussion, but rather I'm not open to having whether I actually played the game be called into question just because I didn't come to the same conclusion you did.

It's not my rating system, it's DieHard GameFAN's. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to change it, as I'm not particularly a fan of it, actually. I'm not actually sure I can post the metric, but I'll ask and let you know. Again, I'm not personally a fan of the rating system, but others like it and it's not my site, so I don't have much say. And if you're wondering why I write for them despite that, it's because I like writing for them. If you have specific complaints about the system, you can direct them to pr -at- diehardgamefan -dot- com, as they're the ones that can actually affect change in that area and like hearing from readers.

I hope that helps.

This was the site recruiting unpaid interns, wasn't it?
Story: GOOD
Graphics: DECENT
Sound: DECENT
Control and Gameplay: DECENT
Replayability: MEDIOCRE
Balance: MEDIOCRE
Originality: ENJOYABLE
Addictiveness: MEDIOCRE
Appeal Factor: GOOD
Miscellaneous: GOOD
FINAL SCORE: ABOVE AVERAGE GAME

Cute.

The summary was incredibly vague but actually did its job at making me want to read the article to see what wasn't well received about the game.

The review itself was okay, but their rating system is really awful and kind of discredits the review, to be honest. The Schrute bucks/Stanley nickels reference was pretty spot on. I understand that the ratings aren't the reviewer's fault, she was just going by their guidelines, but their guidelines suck. Numeric values hold much more weight than "good", "decent", and "mediocre".

I agree the system is odd, but I felt like the Miscellaneous rating was justified. I don't know that I'd go so far as a GOOD, but it's Obsidian, when it comes to Miscellaneous they're usually good for at least a TANGERINE or a PRETTY GOOD IF YOU DON'T LIKE CATS when it comes to Miscellaneous.

[quote name='Scorch']The summary was incredibly vague but actually did its job at making me want to read the article to see what wasn't well received about the game.

The review itself was okay, but their rating system is really awful and kind of discredits the review, to be honest. The Schrute bucks/Stanley nickels reference was pretty spot on. I understand that the ratings aren't the reviewer's fault, she was just going by their guidelines, but their guidelines suck. Numeric values hold much more weight than "good", "decent", and "mediocre".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the ratings system either.

With scores we found that people just skipped the review. People didn't like not having a quick summary though. There's no politics with PR folks over Metacritic scores, and so on an whatever. There was a lot of back and forth about it, and the result is not the best compromise, but the text of the review is really what people should give a damn about any way.

As far as anyone having a problem with Misc. being a metric, it's like this, Misc. is where the reviewer can add their personal opinion about the game, but since it is only one part of ten in the scoring process it doesn't have enough weight to overrule any other thing. For example, I like Deadly Premonition. That area would allow me to rave about it, even if the graphics, sound, controls, etc, technically suck. Usually this is made clearer by actually reading the review.

Don't hate the rating system, hate the game. Or hate the ratings system. It isn't like there's a lack of video game review websites.

I haven’t spent too much time with the Fallout franchise; I’d seen a couple friends play it and they seemed to be pretty interested in it, and it seemed like the kind of franchise I’d enjoy, being as I’m into post-apocalyptic storylines, pulp magazine art, and satirical/dark humor.

If you got paid to write that, PLEASE tell me where I can send my résumé.

[quote name='j-cart']If you got paid to write that, PLEASE tell me where I can send my résumé.[/QUOTE]

The only pay is in gratitude and a feeling that you are trying to contribute to the wonderful and understanding community of video game fans.

bread's done
Back