Famicom Basic? Data Recorder?

cochesecochese

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Anyone have one of these? I have become increasingly interested in snagging one. It's been a lifelong dream to make an NES game. Assembly is just too much effort for too little gain, IMO. This would at least allow me to make something simple which is better than having nothing at all.

So does anyone have experience with these? How about a list of games made with them?

Thanks hoss. I'm working with a ROM of the setup right now and it's pretty interesting.

I'm a little spread thin on funds so I am going to 'wait and see' on the progress of a few hacking groups who are trying to make exporting to cartridges (and distributing them) feasible.

I fucking hate hate hate programming in assembly and would really love to avoid it.

I picked up a Family BASIC cart for 100yen in Japan years ago but I never got around to getting the keyboard/data recorder so I haven't been able to test it out, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if they're still easy to find, but I occasionally saw keyboard/cart sets in Japan for 3000-5000yen (About $30-50). If you can get someone in Japan to track one down for you it shouldn't be too expensive to import!

I sold off the Famicom Basic, Keyboard, Recorder that I had, but I still have a really cool--and Rare!--Famicom Basic Programming Book. It shows you how to use the sprites from Mario and other games and move them around the screen. The actual programming lines are in English, but not much else. Really, cool, though. (Asking $100 if someone is interested. It's up on eBay, but I'd prefer dealing directly with a trusted CAG.)

$(KGrHqF,!jUE3L,hK-fLBN8F3fbiC!~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqIOKj!E3t(vO6VrBN8F3ief+Q~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqV,!hME3vhJk!G-BN8F3l,f,!~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqEOKpIE3tOV4VbLBN8F3pn)Wg~~_12.JPG

[quote name='soonersfan60']I sold off the Famicom Basic, Keyboard, Recorder that I had, but I still have a really cool--and Rare!--Famicom Basic Programming Book. It shows you how to use the sprites from Mario and other games and move them around the screen. The actual programming lines are in English, but not much else. Really, cool, though. (Asking $100 if someone is interested. It's up on eBay, but I'd prefer dealing directly with a trusted CAG.)

$(KGrHqF,!jUE3L,hK-fLBN8F3fbiC!~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqIOKj!E3t(vO6VrBN8F3ief+Q~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqV,!hME3vhJk!G-BN8F3l,f,!~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqEOKpIE3tOV4VbLBN8F3pn)Wg~~_12.JPG
[/QUOTE]

This looks amazing!
I wish I had a resource like this when I was tinkering with BASIC back in High School. :D

[quote name='Gameboy415']I picked up a Family BASIC cart for 100yen in Japan years ago but I never got around to getting the keyboard/data recorder so I haven't been able to test it out, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if they're still easy to find, but I occasionally saw keyboard/cart sets in Japan for 3000-5000yen (About $30-50). If you can get someone in Japan to track one down for you it shouldn't be too expensive to import![/QUOTE]

If you're just looking for a working unit with maybe a little cosmetic damage and no box/manual, then you can still find sets for relatively cheap. The recorder as well, when it emerges.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I sold off the Famicom Basic, Keyboard, Recorder that I had, but I still have a really cool--and Rare!--Famicom Basic Programming Book. It shows you how to use the sprites from Mario and other games and move them around the screen. The actual programming lines are in English, but not much else. Really, cool, though. (Asking $100 if someone is interested. It's up on eBay, but I'd prefer dealing directly with a trusted CAG.)[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I got your hopes up on a sale, but I'm going to have to pass. That is an awesome book but after tinkering around with a loaner unit I realized Famicom Basic is just too limited. If I end up completing something it will have to be a game made from scratch.

Unfortunately the BASIC takes up a lot of overhead and the Famicom has practically no power to spare for it. So the most complicated games you're going to get running with Famicom Basic would be something like the 'pulse line' games but nothing more complex than that. I really have something a little more complicated than those in mind so I grew out of this machine quickly.

Excellent collector's item though!

That's fine... there's a collector out there somewhere who will want it. (I'm sure the book has a few tricks how to get more out of the Basic also, but if you can't read it the code alone might not lead you directly there.)

The Famicom and SG-1000 keyboards have two things in common. Required by their matching data recorders, in addition to how both use expansion ports re-designed on later consoles.

It should be possible to modify them to connect respectively to NES and Master System. (yes even the now-expensive Japanese SMS dropped keyboard support, by switching to the international expansion port)

Yet whether either idea will work correct... Isn't quite clear. Neither has had sufficient testing.

An unfinished NES project for Famicom keyboard is in progress last I've heard.
http://nickmaynard.tumblr.com/tagged/nintendo+keyboard+project/chrono

SG-1000 keyboard on SMS, we only have promising pinouts to go by. No known attempt. It'd also likely enable the official FM sound unit. Because that too uses SG-1000's expansion port.
http://www.smspower.org/Development/SG-1000ExpansionPort
http://www.smspower.org/Development/SMSExpansionPort

bread's done
Back