Family Guy spinoff coming - "Cleveland" -- Delayed to Fall 2009

dastly75

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
The Fox network and the show's producer, 20th Century Fox TV, are developing a spinoff from their hit animated series centered on Peter Griffin's bathtub-accident-prone neighbor, sources said.

The project, tentatively titled "Cleveland," is being written by "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane, Mike Henry -- a writer/producer who voices Cleveland -- and Rich Appel, an executive producer on MacFarlane's other Fox cartoon, "American Dad."

Read more...

UPDATE

A "teaser" for the show:
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QTr-b2g_COc&feature=rec-fresh[/media]

UPDATE2

Delayed to Fall 2009
http://www.tv.com/story/11861.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JolietJake']Cleveland? He isn't even that funny a character. Quagmire on the other hand....:lol:[/quote]

I don't know, it would get a little old after awhile(especially with the sex jokes).

I'm guessing that's why the character hasn't been on the show lately.

If they do this, does it mean Cleveland won't be on family guy anymore? Is he gonna be movin' on up like the Jeffersons?

I don't know..If they do this right it could be good. I always thought of Cleveland Brown as the only sane person in a Insane world. If they approach it from that angle...it could work.

I can understand why people are saying Quamire, but his sex jokes can run a little stale after while.

I'd love to see a show about Quagmire's sexual escapades. From town to to town, country to country, he's nailed them all.:lol:

[quote name='CouRageouS']Well I guess since they already spun off Joe into American Dad... amirite?[/quote]
That was pretty funny when stewie msitook stan for joe.:lol:

You know, I'm sitting here thinking about everyone on that show and trying to decide who would be good for a spin off. I can't think of any. I guess it depends on they they angle this Cleveland show, as it could be pretty funny. A Quagmire show wouldn't be good. A family guy episode HEAVILY on Quagmire could be funny, but a whole show? Nah.

I really can't think of ANYONE really that would make a good series.

Yeah, but this would give youa chance to flesh out the quagmire character into more than a sex joke. Think about his talk with Meg and his love of Manalow. You could do such a cool run on quagmire.

True, but I don't think there would be enough for a whole series. Maybe like a special DVD containing 4 episodes or something :lol:

:lol: Actually Neil Goldman would be a pretty piss spin-off

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']The best Family Guy spin off would be one about Stewie and Brian.[/quote]
Yeah, the really odd couple.:lol:

wow... family guy used to be really good before it became watered down with waaaaaaaaay too long jokes once American Dad arrived on the scene... this would make it even worse... keep King of the Hill going but no more macfarlane shows.

First few seasons of family guy had me rolling over and over... since... an occasional chuckle or laugh.... but it just isnt as good as it used to be

[quote name='evilmregg']Please, no more Seth MacFarlane shows. For the good of humanity.[/QUOTE]

American Dad isn't to bad, Family Guy is not the show it used to be.

Cleveland doesn't really seem like main character material to me, I can't see him working out as anything other then a supporting character.

Not that it really matters to me all that much, since I don't watch the new Family Guy anymore and I wont watch this spinoff.

If you people don't like Family Guy, or this new show, then don't watch it, and don't come in here and bitch. I don't watch Lost or 24, and you don't see me bitching about those shows. We get it, you liked Family Guy back when it was cool to do so, now that all your friends like it, it's not funny anymore. Go find the next hip show to fawn over.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']If you people don't like Family Guy, or this new show, then don't watch it, and don't come in here and bitch. I don't watch Lost or 24, and you don't see me bitching about those shows. We get it, you liked Family Guy back when it was cool to do so, now that all your friends like it, it's not funny anymore. Go find the next hip show to fawn over.[/quote]

And your explanation for this ....

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4014357&postcount=4

And believe me, that's just one of hundreds of thread craps.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']If you people don't like Family Guy, or this new show, then don't watch it, and don't come in here and bitch. I don't watch Lost or 24, and you don't see me bitching about those shows. We get it, you liked Family Guy back when it was cool to do so, now that all your friends like it, it's not funny anymore. Go find the next hip show to fawn over.[/quote]

Huh. I actually hated Family Guy when it was first on. I started watching it again when it came on AS and grew to like it then. But then when they were brought back, it was really kinda hit or miss for me. I don't even go out of my way to watch it. I honestly feel like I don't have enough ADD to enjoy it.

Brian and Stewie has a spin-off could work...but then it'd tae away too much of the main show. I don't know how they could do Cleveland with his own show.

See, the thing is...actually doing a Cleveland spin-off is a joke in itself. Family Guy is obsessed with the old 80s sitcoms, and what did those sitcoms always do? Spin off the black family. The Jeffersons. Family Matters.

It's just one more tribute to old sitcoms. :) Who knows if it'll be any good, but that at least has some merit.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']If you people don't like Family Guy, or this new show, then don't watch it, and don't come in here and bitch. I don't watch Lost or 24, and you don't see me bitching about those shows. We get it, you liked Family Guy back when it was cool to do so, now that all your friends like it, it's not funny anymore. Go find the next hip show to fawn over.[/QUOTE]

Give me a break... I am a fan of the old family guy... when Seth Macfarlane did only that show, and could devote the time needed to make it a great show... he has spread himself thin with all the writing and voices he does for the TWO shows at the moment, in addition to the direct to dvd videos, etc... doesnt have a damn thing to do whether it is hip or not...lol... I just think the shows will become even more watered down than they are already... I never said newer family guy was horrible, only it wasnt as good anymore

[quote name='hxhawkeye']See, the thing is...actually doing a Cleveland spin-off is a joke in itself. Family Guy is obsessed with the old 80s sitcoms, and what did those sitcoms always do? Spin off the black family. The Jeffersons. Family Matters.

It's just one more tribute to old sitcoms. :) Who knows if it'll be any good, but that at least has some merit.[/QUOTE]

Family Guy references all sorts of pop culture. It's not confined to the 80s at all. Doesn't help that a good portion (if not the majority) of sitcoms around that time were with white people anyway.

American Dad already is a Family Guy spinoff. It's just different characters with a few artificial inserts to allow slightly different jokes.

This is why I've lost all interest in McFarlane. He's already got two shows plus works on Robot Chicken. That's three shows all pulling from the same inventory. Why he'd want to make a third show that's going to drain that ever-decreasing bounty more quickly is beyond me.

People will eat it up like candy though.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So, saying a shitty game will be shitty is threadcrapping? I believe that is called "telling the truth".[/quote]

Just like calling Family Guy unfunny.

It kills me how people will hate things just because it's cool to do so. Everybody thought family guy was the shit back in the early seasons, now people think it's already getting old. People change opinions more often than their clothes.

I liked the old family guy, and I like the new family guy. I honestly don't see that big of a difference, if any.

But anyway, I think they could do really well with a Cleveland spinoff. Cleveland is the character who has really had the least involvement in the series in the first place and has the least-explained life. I think the best way they could do it is in a different timeline, somewhere in his past.

Threadcrapping? This is just like the time I went verb with the pop culture reference. Insert flashback that drags on.

Family Guy's original run was great. Let's not pretend it didn't turn into Mad Libs after they brought it back. Good writing keeps things fresh. Like South Park, also topical humor but isn't just random. Even the new Simpsons episodes have taken note of this. I caught one of the newest episodes where they revamped Homer and Marge history (took place in the 90s instead of the 70s since Bart still only 10 in 2008) and it was actually really great.

[quote name='CouRageouS'] Even the new Simpsons episodes have taken note of this. I caught one of the newest episodes where they revamped Homer and Marge history (took place in the 90s instead of the 70s since Bart still only 10 in 2008) and it was actually really great.[/QUOTE]

God.

It's good to know that the new episodes have to completely suck. Changing up the history of all the characters is asinine.

Like when they went into the future (for about the 18th fucking time) and Marge had left Homer for Krusty. 'Cuz that's always a good idea - ruining whatever semblance of history and experience all the characters have.

[quote name='JolietJake']Well if they wanted to stay close to time and history, bart should be around to 30 by now.[/QUOTE]

Not if they want to freeze the Simpsons in time, which is what countless shows, comics, comic strips, and other entertainment media has always done.

I guess it's hard to do that when your writers desperately want to make Britney Spears jokes.

[quote name='JolietJake']Well if they wanted to stay close to time and history, bart should be around to 30 by now.[/QUOTE]

All animated shows kinda keep things "frozen in time"... King of the Hill is the same way... you keep what works for you

So I guess Fox is content with just handing over their entire animation line up to Seth?

I guess next year we can look forward to a Francine Spin-off of American Dad.

[quote name='JolietJake']It kills me how people will hate things just because it's cool to do so. Everybody thought family guy was the shit back in the early seasons, now people think it's already getting old. People change opinions more often than their clothes.[/quote]

Shockingly, it's because it is getting old.

[quote name='JolietJake']It kills me how people will hate things just because it's cool to do so. Everybody thought family guy was the shit back in the early seasons, now people think it's already getting old. People change opinions more often than their clothes.[/QUOTE]

It was the shit in the early seasons... but the jokes now seem to be more drawn out than before

One on my favorite episodes was the one where the family has to hide Chris from an escaped prisoner by relocating in the deep south... hilarious... the jokes kept coming rapid fire

There have been a few moments that have been funny since it started back up... one of the best examples was the Little shop of Horrors musical salute with the old pedophile man and Chris... hilarious only if because Ive seen the movie 100 times... but even that was drawn out a little too long

If Macfarlane was only doing family guy, the quality would be much better than it is now... it has nothing to do with wanting to be trendy or cool... Im 34, I have more pressing concerns in my life

bread's done
Back