FamilyVideo.com Pre-black friday sale 11/20-11/22

smoger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
UPDATE: This deal turned out to be somewhat of a bust. Prices are NOT 25% off, however they are a bit under MSRP and you can grab free shipping with promo code "ERLYBIRD"
-----------------------------

Received an email from FamilyVideo this morning about their pre-black friday sale which starts on Friday.

At the bottom of the email they vaguely list "watch for 25-40% off Video games".. so no definite prices yet but maybe something to watch.

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/browse_genre.php?browse_id=106&source=mailer0174

Games Listed:

• Modern Warfare 2 360/PS3
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Assassins Creed 2 360/PS3
  • Wii Fit Plus w/ Balance Board
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky (DS)
  • Scribblenauts (DS)
Also, while those are the only games on the linked page, the image in the email promo also shows: Mario & Luigi:BIS (DS), Uncharted 2(PS3), Lego Indiana Jones 2(360), Left 4 Dead 2 (360)

Sorry in advance if this turns out to be a bust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I just opened an account here so I could chime in (after checking with admin). Yes, it has been advertised on the site as 20-40% off MSRP so 'smoger' has that right. If it helps you out at all, I'm posting a Free Shipping coupon here for you guys here which will be good for the weekend. Coupon code is: 'ERLYBIRD'. I hope that helps. Have a good weekend.

these are the pre-black friday deals? these price are terrible. if these are the prices, i can wait till next week.

p.s. Prices dropped at 12:01am central time on all those games ($5 - $7 on the $50ish games and $20 - $30 on the higher priced bundles).

I dont think the prices are terrible, its just that people were expecting alot more out of this deal. Offers like this wont draw much attention, especially one week before Black Friday. Thanks for the coupon though!

What games and bundles are 20 to 40 percent off MSRP?

Edit:

Are any of these even approaching 20 to 40 percent off MSRP?

My math is the minimum off on $60 would be near $12 right?

Minimum off $100 would be near $20.

Not seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FamilyVideo']Hey guys, I just opened an account here so I could chime in (after checking with admin). Yes, it has been advertised on the site as 20-40% off MSRP so 'smoger' has that right. If it helps you out at all, I'm posting a Free Shipping coupon here for you guys here which will be good for the weekend. Coupon code is: 'ERLYBIRD'. I hope that helps. Have a good weekend.[/QUOTE]

That's a nice gesture, but speaking for myself I'd rather see a sale advertised as what it really is. If it's not 20% off, don't say it is. Consumer confidence goes a lot further than a quick cash grab/exposure from deals sites. You may have grabbed a ton of traffic over the past 2 days from CAG and SD and who knows what other deal sites linked to you, but all of those customers now have a bad taste in their mouths.

I subscribe to your email promos and daily deals, and have bought a handful of items in the past when there were good deals, but you know what this does for me? It's going to make me assume that any advertised deal may or may not exist, and at that point why would I bother coming to your site and waste my time checking? I could shoot over to Amazon and get these kind of prices as well as free shipping on nearly everything on a daily basis.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being annoyed by this bait and switch.

..and I'm sorry for directing this at whoever is behind the FV screename.. I fully realize that you may or may not have any control over promos, pricing, emails, or anything for that matter. If that's the case, please pass this on to those who do.

Thanks for popping in and addressing this directly, at least!

I know. I wanted to jump on and explain because people were getting so excited, but was afraid I'd get booted right away. So I had to get permission from admin. Everything on there is reduced below MSRP though. We always do the best we can. It's crazy competitive out there and all those prices are much reduced below MSRP.

Really quick. Caught that feedback and we'll try to improve communication even better for the future. Thanks.

[quote name='FamilyVideo']I know. I wanted to jump on and explain because people were getting so excited, but was afraid I'd get booted right away. So I had to get permission from admin. Everything on there is reduced below MSRP though. We always do the best we can. It's crazy competitive out there and all those prices are much reduced below MSRP.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for coming in and communicating with us, sorry the sale didn't work out how anyone expected. How could I possibly be mad at the company that sold me a pristine copy of Punch-Out for $20?

[quote name='handsomepete']Thanks for coming in and communicating with us, sorry the sale didn't work out how anyone expected. How could I possibly be mad at the company that sold me a pristine copy of Punch-Out for $20?[/QUOTE]

Its not that it didn't work as "expected", more like "Didn't work as advertised".

The site specifically says a minimum of 20% off selected games, which as far as I (and it seems like anyone else) can tell are the 52 games on that page because family video stocks ALOT more games than just those 52. Also, so far as I can see, none of them are 20% off. Okay deals all, but none of them meet the advertised 20% minimum, well, to be honest I'm really only looking at the 3 or 4 that I'd want to buy.

Between this and the constantly non-working discs I get from my local store, I'm not loving FV right now.

Oh and if I misunderstood the sale somehow, I am sorry and I rescind my criticisms, but I don't think I did.

guys, this is pre-black friday, if you go to where you search, go under that, there's a yellow bar, at the end, where it says genre, click black friday and read the message. ther'll be a bigger sale (i hope) next week

your actual prices, which are allegedly "much reduced below MSRP," don't equal your advertised "20-40% off MSRP", as smogger said.
ditto, on the bad taste in my mouth.
i know it's nonsensical to judge a company from one incident, but it's not helping my overall impression of FamilyVideo

Wow I was looking at his status as an Official Rep and wondering what that was for a sec. Well after that brain fart I realized that the prices I saw were as low as it was going because I was going to ask if anyone saw different or if I was too late.

I don't see a single game here that is 20% off MSRP. That's flat out false advertising. I guess some of those games are ok deals but they're not at all what they advertised. I'll pass.

[quote name='aylien']your actual prices, which are allegedly "much reduced below MSRP," don't equal your advertised "20-40% off MSRP", as smogger said.
ditto, on the bad taste in my mouth.
i know it's nonsensical to judge a company from one incident, but it's not helping my overall impression of FamilyVideo[/QUOTE]

After the 16.49 Spore Hero incident, where they didn't honor it, and their official response to my Better Business Bureau claim is "I think the 5.00 off coupon we gave was fair, we will not honor this price"...I already have the lowest possible impression of the company.

Well, they just ruined any goodwill their rep built up for them with their response to my email:

[quote name='FamilyVideo CS']Hello Eric,

The percent off is from the MSRP price which is Manufacturer's suggested retail
price, in business. The prices are listed correctly.

Thank you for choosing FamilyVideo.com as your choice for entertainment.

Your friends @ FamilyVideo.com

1-888-332-6843[/quote]

Am I wrong here? Are the MSRPs of these games over 59.99 and 49.99 ?

Oh well.

@ Cmosfm

Which is why I can't understand why a FamilyVideo rep would bother registering at CAG to make a half-hearted attempt at PR in the face of all this.

Super weak, hope they do better on black friday, but since they are advertising this mess as 20-40% off i would doubt it.

Even with all their weak deals, they do have Wii Fit Plus for $85.49 which is the lowest price (by $4.50) that I've seen since they shouldn't charge tax as they are not located in CA.

The BF 2009 list so far only has Wii Fit Plus pegged at $99.99 (MSRP). Maybe Amazon will come through and sell it for $85 or less themselves.

[quote name='sjcarlo408']guys, this is pre-black friday, if you go to where you search, go under that, there's a yellow bar, at the end, where it says genre, click black friday and read the message. ther'll be a bigger sale (i hope) next week[/QUOTE]

probably more bait and switch tactics. i'm not really interested in anything Family Video has to say anymore. its was a blatant lie! If you are going to sell below MSRP say "Below MSRP" not "20-40% off MSRP" Math cannot be that hard.

bread's done
Back