Fan made Mother 3 strat guide. $26 shipped

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
http://handbook.fangamer.com/

headerExplosion.png

Seems like a quality product and hella cool and will probably be pretty limited. Thought I would give everyone a heads up.

I got mine today and all I can say is that the guys that made it truly have a gift as this guide is more professional and beautiful than most Brady Games guides. It's a STEAL at $20.

[quote name='shadylane']what about those action figures? do they come with the guide or were they first come first served?[/quote]

No, those were just clay models used for pictures in the guide... similar to the ones in the Earthbound guide... although they have hinted at making figurines for sale in the near future.

[quote name='bjstucker']I preordered it how long will it take to get to me?[/quote]

Check your email for a tracking number... but if you preordered it should be there by end of next week... unless you are outside of the USA

[quote name='Trollsmeesh']I think I am going to have to pick it up. :D

Even if it is mainly because I have been watching fans do badass things as of late, and I feel like I have to contribute to their badassity..yeah..badassity.

Basassity,
Seth[/quote]

I swear I've seen your sig/avatar elsewhere... just with different text on the signature...

As someone who has known reidman (he'll kill you if you capitalize it!) for 10 years or so, I can tell you with complete confidence that you're not going to get ripped off. He's a really honest, hard-working guy, and Fangamer is his livelihood.

It's good to see everyone supporting their talent and effort.

just received mine today. the book is fantastic! and it's even more amazing when you consider this is a fan made production. i can't recommend it enough to any mother fans out there - you must get it!

Just ordered mine. I'm a diehard fan of Earthbound since i bought with a ticket from toy r us back in the day. I still remember playing it and saying Holy shnikees. I hope nintendo pulls there heads out of their arses on this one...I really really really do. reidman, i don't know who you are, but here's MUCH respect from this guy. Thank you.

I hope the Franklin Badge gets produced again. I'd buy it if it were offered again (maybe up to $10).

I want the guide so that I could remember the great story and the moving sequences.

Got mine.

This shit is quality.

Why doesn't Nintendo just hire these guys to get the game officially localized if they're too lazy to get it done themselves?

26 bucks well spent.

[quote name='georox']I swear I've seen your sig/avatar elsewhere... just with different text on the signature...[/quote]

I really hope not, because I made it myself.

*edit* Well, a friend of mine made the actually color scheme, but I made everything else.

[quote name='Warn3rv3']Just ordered mine. I'm a diehard fan of Earthbound since i bought with a ticket from toy r us back in the day. I still remember playing it and saying Holy shnikees. I hope nintendo pulls there heads out of their arses on this one...I really really really do. reidman, i don't know who you are, but here's MUCH respect from this guy. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

OMG...I forgot about TRU "tickets." I remember buying Defender for my IBM PC jr. back in the day (early 80s), and having to bring the ticket to a cage where someone pulled out a boxed copy.

I can't wait to get my copy of the guide. I've already decided to play through this with open book, as an interactive adventure. The Flickr photos are drool-worthy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/reidman/sets/72157615876564984/

[quote name='Trollsmeesh']I really hope not, because I made it myself.

*edit* Well, a friend of mine made the actually color scheme, but I made everything else.[/quote]

I recognize the exact pentagram brush used in the sig, and I swear I made an avatar very similar to that one (aside from the border) when I go by "Theo" or "Theorize" in other places. I honestly wish I had kept backups of my old work now.

[quote name='georox']I recognize the exact pentagram brush used in the sig, and I swear I made an avatar very similar to that one (aside from the border) when I go by "Theo" or "Theorize" in other places. I honestly wish I had kept backups of my old work now.[/quote]

Well, I got the pentagram from google.
pentagram2wk.jpg

Then resized it. (Don't have it on this computer.)

Then I took my background image,
Trollsmeesh.jpg
, and combined it with the pentagram, placing it in the circle that had been made in the background image.

After all of that, I added the text and the border, obviously making the sig.
TrollsmeeshSig.jpg

Like I said, I made it myself. I wouldn't steal a sig.

Wow. I received mine today and all I can say is.... wow.

I don't tend to buy guides too often, but had to jump on this.

The quality is amazing and other companies should take a hint from this quality.

Thanks Fangamer!

Just picked it up from the mailbox.

This IS quality. You can really feel the care that went into everything. The guide is awesome, the illustration, the layout, the color and the quality of the pages is really impressive.
The keychain is nice, good quality stuff, not like the cheapy Soul Calibur ones :p

I love the hand drawn picture, stuff like this make you want to support them.

I guess it is time for me to get my hands on the game...

Just to reiterate, if any of you are willing to part with your keychain, lemme know. My original preorder got lost in the mix so I've ordered another but sadly with no keychain...

I'm not offering up my keychain until I see it in hand to decide if I want it/see going rate for it.

If the keychain ends up being able to pay for something I'm after... I may very well part with it.

Absolutely amazing. Hard to believe it came out this well.... Fangamer, you guys rock. The keychain is very high quality by the way :)

Maybe if we ask them to re-release the keychain, I can imagine fangamer doing it. They're fans themselves, so I'm sure they'd understand us wanting to get our hands on awesome merchandise like the Franklin Badge keychain.

I would totally buy another handbook just for that keychain.

Not right now they won't. I emailed them letting them know I had placed an order but something must have gone wrong (no confirmation email?!) but they said they're all out of keychains right now :(

Not to go against the current, but... the condition of my keychain wasn’t what I expected. Unlike the picture on the handbook site, which has a very bright, yellow color for the keychain, mine is very faded, especially around the edges of the lightning bolt. It’s also scratched up a little! :(

Was everyone else’s keychain like this? :\

I can attach a picture later if that helps. Or actually, it would be better if someone could upload a picture of theirs!

I got my guide + keychain today and I am incredibly impressed. The guide is better than any guide I've seen in recent years from either Prima or Bradygames. The pages are all heavy gauge glossy paper with amazing print quality. The layout/design/art work is also phenomenal. It baffles me to think that this was a fan project.

As stated before, I'm a very vocal disliker of Earthbound. I just couldn't get into the game after eight hours of playing it. This guide, however, has actually made me want to jump back into the game and see what everyone is so in love with (and then try Mother 3). If fans were willing to spend so much time making this guide, there's got to be something special about that game that my cold heart has yet to see.

Anyways, if you've held off from buying this guide. Buy it. It is quality stuff. I usually only buy guides if they are a penny. This one is totally worth the full $26.00

[quote name='Doomstink']I got my guide + keychain today and I am incredibly impressed. The guide is better than any guide I've seen in recent years from either Prima or Bradygames. The pages are all heavy gauge glossy paper with amazing print quality. The layout/design/art work is also phenomenal. It baffles me to think that this was a fan project.

As stated before, I'm a very vocal disliker of Earthbound. I just couldn't get into the game after eight hours of playing it. This guide, however, has actually made me want to jump back into the game and see what everyone is so in love with (and then try Mother 3). If fans were willing to spend so much time making this guide, there's got to be something special about that game that my cold heart has yet to see.

Anyways, if you've held off from buying this guide. Buy it. It is quality stuff. I usually only buy guides if they are a penny. This one is totally worth the full $26.00[/quote]
I'm curious as to why you bought it if you weren't a devoted fan.

I bought it and I'm not a "devoted" fan (I've only played a few hours of Earthbound and that's it). I bought it because I'm a huge RPG fan and was impressed/stunned by how beautiful the guide looked. And maybe one day I'll find the time to actually play the mother games and become a fan. :)

[quote name='prateeko']Not right now they won't. I emailed them letting them know I had placed an order but something must have gone wrong (no confirmation email?!) but they said they're all out of keychains right now :([/quote]

I e-mailed Reid Young, and he said that they may create a variation of the Franklin Badge at some point far into the future, as well as DP coins possibly sooner.

[quote name='Nephrinn']I bought it and I'm not a "devoted" fan (I've only played a few hours of Earthbound and that's it). I bought it because I'm a huge RPG fan and was impressed/stunned by how beautiful the guide looked. And maybe one day I'll find the time to actually play the mother games and become a fan. :)[/quote]

I was actually a little surprised anyone would question why someone would buy this guide even if they aren't a 'devoted' fan. Personally, I like the mother series, at least what I have played, but would not describe myself as a 'devoted' fan. Do I like it enough to buy a guide set out by Nintendo? Nope. I am buying this guide because I highly respect and admire what these people are trying to do.

With that being said, I would probably buy a god damned dora the explorer guide if it was made well enough by fans that spent time translating the game and then making a quality guide.

I know I have said it quite a few times, but my respect for these guys is huge. People should want to support such determination.

[quote name='Trollsmeesh']I was actually a little surprised anyone would question why someone would buy this guide even if they aren't a 'devoted' fan. Personally, I like the mother series, at least what I have played, but would not describe myself as a 'devoted' fan. Do I like it enough to buy a guide set out by Nintendo? Nope. I am buying this guide because I highly respect and admire what these people are trying to do.

With that being said, I would probably buy a god damned dora the explorer guide if it was made well enough by fans that spent time translating the game and then making a quality guide.

I know I have said it quite a few times, but my respect for these guys is huge. People should want to support such determination.[/quote]

That makes sense - you're a fan of devoted fan projects. I don't really like Halo so much, but the McFarlane action figures had so much detail on them I decided to get one.

[quote name='Strell']I got mine. It smells wonderful. I was high enough already just opening the package.

The keychain is fun and sturdy, much better than other promos have offered in the past. Fangamer also sent a sticker of their logo and even a little hand drawn picture! And there's even a coupon code for their store! Hooray!

Awesome times nine billion.[/QUOTE]

Would anyone want to PM me one of those coupon codes so I can buy this guide as well? I would appreciate it!

[quote name='outphase']I'm curious as to why you bought it if you weren't a devoted fan.[/quote]

I'm a collector and this is a product related to Earthbound. It's a no brainer purchase to add to a collection. I'm really glad I bought the guide because it is seriously an amazing piece of work. If these guys put out their own version of the Earthbound guide, or a guide for Mother 1, I'd buy those too.

[quote name='EvilAkana']Would anyone want to PM me one of those coupon codes so I can buy this guide as well? I would appreciate it![/quote]

Code is only good for $40 or higher order, so guide alone won't cut it.

[quote name='georox']Code is only good for $40 or higher order, so guide alone won't cut it.[/QUOTE]

Well, then I will get a shirt as well! They got lots of cool swag in the store. So a code would still be appreciated, if anyone would like to part with it.

[quote name='Trollsmeesh']I was actually a little surprised anyone would question why someone would buy this guide even if they aren't a 'devoted' fan. Personally, I like the mother series, at least what I have played, but would not describe myself as a 'devoted' fan. Do I like it enough to buy a guide set out by Nintendo? Nope. I am buying this guide because I highly respect and admire what these people are trying to do.

I know I have said it quite a few times, but my respect for these guys is huge. People should want to support such determination.[/quote]
Maybe "devoted" went beyond my intended scope of the statement, but the quoted post pretty much stated he was a "very vocal disliker" of Earthbound. I was just wondering why someone would buy a project based on something one would dislike.
[quote name='Doomstink']I'm a collector and this is a product related to Earthbound. It's a no brainer purchase to add to a collection. I'm really glad I bought the guide because it is seriously an amazing piece of work. If these guys put out their own version of the Earthbound guide, or a guide for Mother 1, I'd buy those too.[/quote]
Fair enough. Now play more than Onett in Earthbound!

[quote name='outphase']
Fair enough. Now play more than Onett in Earthbound![/quote]

I actually got to Peaceful Rest Valley. I got really bored of the combat system and that is what got me to stop playing the game. I guess my problem with the combat system mainly stemmed from not having more than one party member. I think I was about to get Paula in my party, but I just couldn't push myself to play it more. It's still in my SNES right now, so I'll probably give it another shot soon.

bread's done
Back