Fanatical Thread

Are you all talking about Gauntlet? Because it's not a Diablo clone at all. Nor is it an ARPG.

It's 100% pure arcade with a handful of leveling aspects. The gameplay is centered around combinations and teamwork, which may not be completely apparent from watching videos.
So basically Magicka, except not on sale 800 bajillion times.

i was disappointed with the reboot gaunlet. especially since i was playing solo, it was not as fun as diablo 3

Last edited by a moderator:
i was disappointed with the reboot gaunlet. especially since i was playing solo, it was not as fun as diablo 3
You know, I was too at first. I felt like there wasn't as much to do and it was too hard to do solo. It does require some grinding to raise your levels in several aspects and a very good understanding of the combos if you're playing it solo. With friends it's way easier. But I've leveled up enough now that I can solo most levels. Also, the Necromancer is very fun.

You know, I was too at first. I felt like there wasn't as much to do and it was too hard to do solo. It does require some griding to raise your levels in several aspects and a very good understanding of the combos if you're playing it solo. With friends it's way easier. But I've leveled up enough now that I can solo most levels. Also, the Necromancer is very fun.
i went into expect like a diablo 3 clone, the gameplay was totally not polish, especially with the wizard class. $4.99 was i paid, and that is probably what its worth. i highly doubt i will be support the sequel to it, if they do decide to make one.

i went into expect like a diablo 3 clone, the gameplay was totally not polished, especially with the wizard class. $4.99 was i paid, and that is probably what its worth.
I can totally see how you would be disappointed with Gauntlet if you were expecting a Diablo clone. It's actually quite close to its arcade roots in that it's a mostly linear key-chase interrupted by a ridiculous amount of bad guys.

I was expecting a Gauntlet reboot and it still wasn't quite what I expected it to be, but I've grown to enjoy it.

Are you all talking about Gauntlet? Because it's not a Diablo clone at all. Nor is it an ARPG.

It's 100% pure arcade with a handful of leveling aspects. The gameplay is centered around combinations and teamwork, which may not be completely apparent from watching videos.
I wasn't calling it a Diablo-clone I was saying Diablo-clones deliver what Gauntlet delivers and more. It's only good for nostalgia purposes. It's not bad, per se. I played a ton in the arcade back in 't3h day' but gaming has moved on and expanded on the original concept.

I wasn't calling it a Diablo-clone I was saying Diablo-clones deliver what Gauntlet delivers and more. It's only good for nostalgia purposes. It's not bad, per se. I played a ton in the arcade back in 't3h day' but gaming has moved on and expanded on the original concept.
Wat? Diablo = ARPG/clickfest. Gauntlet = hack and slash/arcade. Gauntlet isn't trying to be Diablo any more than DOOM is trying to be Skyrim. Both are separate genres and have a legitimate reason for existing, thus do not need to "move on" and morph into other genres.

You know, I was too at first. I felt like there wasn't as much to do and it was too hard to do solo. It does require some grinding to raise your levels in several aspects and a very good understanding of the combos if you're playing it solo. With friends it's way easier. But I've leveled up enough now that I can solo most levels. Also, the Necromancer is very fun.
Actually this is how I felt about Magicka. It's a cute idea but it sucks as solo game because about 5 levels in, the number of enemies the game throws at you is just ridiculous.

Wat? Diablo = ARPG/clickfest. Gauntlet = hack and slash/arcade. Gauntlet isn't trying to be Diablo any more than DOOM is trying to be Skyrim. Both are separate genres and have a legitimate reason for existing, thus do not need to "move on" and morph into other genres.
I think Mooby has a legitimate point here. The original Gauntlet was a pretty simple arcade game, essentially a top-down shooter. When people were pumping quarters into these machines back in the day, this really was about as sophisticated as games got. If you're looking for a "dungeon crawler" experience, which is a loaded phrase that can mean anything from a terrible roguelike (did I mention that I hate roguelikes?) to an ARPG like Diablo or Van Helsing to an old-school RPG like Baldur's Gate or Eschalon, then Gauntlet really isn't going to satisfy your desires in that context. I haven't played it myself but the gameplay seems to be very similar to the original version of the game with snazzier graphics and a few concessions to modern gaming (like equippable items) thrown in. Viewed as an arcade game, Gauntlet is fine (or so I've read), but viewed as a "dungeon crawler," I'm sure it does leave a lot to be desired.

Did anybody play Gauntlet on the Dreamcast? I remember having a good time with that back in the day, although I didn't have much opportunity to coop it.  I wonder how the recent incarnation compares.

Actually this is how I felt about Magicka. It's a cute idea but it sucks as solo game because about 5 levels in, the number of enemies the game throws at you is just ridiculous.

I think Mooby has a legitimate point here. The original Gauntlet was a pretty simple arcade game, essentially a top-down shooter. When people were pumping quarters into these machines back in the day, this really was about as sophisticated as games got. If you're looking for a "dungeon crawler" experience, which is a loaded phrase that can mean anything from a terrible roguelike (did I mention that I hate roguelikes?) to an ARPG like Diablo or Van Helsing to an old-school RPG like Baldur's Gate or Eschalon, then Gauntlet really isn't going to satisfy your desires in that context. I haven't played it myself but the gameplay seems to be very similar to the original version of the game with snazzier graphics and a few concessions to modern gaming (like equippable items) thrown in. Viewed as an arcade game, Gauntlet is fine (or so I've read), but viewed as a "dungeon crawler," I'm sure it does leave a lot to be desired.
diablo 3 is a huge disappointment , in terms of the player count, i had play diablo since the diablo I. they dropped the player count from 8 to 4, and then the color pallete looks way too bright like world of warcraft.

i am hoping to get the new korean arpg like mmorg call LOst ark online , whenever it releases in the states

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL5zGvsmSM0

Did anybody play Gauntlet on the Dreamcast? I remember having a good time with that back in the day, although I didn't have much opportunity to coop it. I wonder how the recent incarnation compares.
I had the playstation version which I think was the same thing. I enjoyed that and playing the original with friends not long ago. I haven't played the new one yet, but I'm gonna go in figuring it's like the others and that'll be fine for me.

Gauntlet was probably one of my favorite games of 2014. It's a pretty solid hack-and-slash, though it suffers from linear levels, a somewhat drab aesthetic, and shoehorned 'RPG' elements. The various characters are distinct not just visually, but also mechanically, and their movesets need to be mastered and coordinated with other characters in order to clear the game. Encounter design is quite decent with a good variety of enemies that demand varying approaches, as well as things like spawn chambers that punish conservative gameplay. It's a co-op arcade game, so for best results don't consider playing on anything less than Hard (where you have to earn respawns with crazy combos), play with at least three people (any less and you're ruining the experience), and always aim for the '1 credit-clear' (no continues).

Gauntlet is an action game, it require mastery of a character's moveset (proper positioning, timing, crowd-control, coordination with teammates, etc.), understanding enemy behaviors and encounter design, constant on-the-fly situation assessment and being able to adapt your tactics accordingly (which ties the first two points together), and non-stop aggression. I haven't played Diablo III, so I can't comment on it, but Diablo I and II were neither of those things, and not even good games, for that matter. They're just grindy, item-collecting, click-a-thon 'RPGs' -- utterly mindless games.

I can understand liking the latter more, it's easier to play and if you're into aspects like narratives and lore, than the Diablo games definitely offer more on that front, but I'm really not seeing the straight comparison people have made in this thread. Is it because of the top-down camera and fantasy theme? I suppose Chrono Trigger (and other JRPGs), the fantasy-themed Harvest Moon games, and 2D Zelda titles are also the same thing. We can probably also throw in DMC, Warcraft, and some fantasty-themed city building game!

diablo 3 is a huge disappointment , in terms of the player count, i had play diablo since the diablo I. they dropped the player count from 8 to 4, and then the color pallete looks way too bright like world of warcraft.

i am hoping to get the new korean arpg like mmorg call LOst ark online , whenever it releases in the states
A F2P Korean "mmorpg" that's a blatant ripoff of other, more successful games? Never seen that before.

Gauntlet is an action game, it require mastery of a character's moveset (proper positioning, timing, crowd-control, coordination with teammates, etc.), understanding enemy behaviors and encounter design, constant on-the-fly situation assessment and being able to adapt your tactics accordingly (which ties the first two points together), and non-stop aggression. I haven't played Diablo III, so I can't comment on it, but Diablo I and II were neither of those things, and not even good games, for that matter. They're just grindy, item-collecting, click-a-thon 'RPGs' -- utterly mindless games.

I can understand liking the latter more, it's easier to play and if you're into things like 'narratives' and 'lore', than the Diablo games definitely offer more on that front, but I'm really not seeing the straight comparison people have made in this thread. Is it because of the top-down camera and fantasy theme? I suppose Chrono Trigger (and other JRPGs), the fantasy-themed Harvest Moon games, and 2D Zelda titles are also the same thing. We can probably also throw in DMC, Warcraft, and some fantasty-themed city building game!
Based on my understanding of the games, I don't disagree with most of what you said. Personally I didn't finish Diablo or Diablo II because I found them rather tedious. Diablo III was fine for what it was, but if your tolerance for clicky things is low, you won't like it too much either. For me, it was short enough and with competent enough storytelling not to wear out its welcome.

Regarding the comparisons, it's basically that the devs invite you to draw the comparisons by calling it a "dungeon crawler" on the store page and, as you said earlier, shoehorning very limited ARPG-like elements into the gameplay.

Also its pretty hilarious anytime someone says "Game X is like game Y" and you get people crawling out the woodworks trying to prove them wrong.

Like "OMG how dare you compare this game I hate to this game I love? Game Y is crap and anyone who plays it is a dumb doodoohead and all the kool kids are playing game X because it's comparatively better in every possible way even though the two games are different genres and are incomparable".

I played Magicka single player too, didn't find anything wrong with it.  

Also Gauntlet is like Ghosts and Goblins and F-Zero.

Also, I don't care, I just want another Kill4r Bundle. 

Hit large groups of enemies with a water spray, then hit them with an electric bolt. Mmmm, toasty.

Regarding the comparisons, it's basically that the devs invite you to draw the comparisons by calling it a "dungeon crawler" on the store page and, as you said earlier, shoehorning very limited ARPG-like elements into the gameplay.
Fair enough, false advertising rubs me the wrong way, too. Certainly, if you were expect a Diablo-esque experience, the game will most definitely not satisfy you. That said, I think it's unfair to make broad, and consequently vague comparisons to claim that one game or the other is obsolete or worthless or whatever when they both appeal to specific audiences -- especially when those comparisons are based on misguided beliefs and misinformation.

Also its pretty hilarious anytime someone says "Game X is like game Y" and you get people crawling out the woodworks trying to prove them wrong.
I am going to assume you're referring to me here, since I don't see anyone else that would qualify as "crawling out of the woodworks".

I'm not sure how or from where in my post you grasped all that hostility, but maybe you should, like, chill out, bro. All I did was type a mini-review of sorts for Gauntlet and clarify the incorrect comparisons being made, and possibly encourage people to try out (or give a second chance) to a good game in a new light. The comparisons at the end were facetious -- I figured that was obvious, but I guess I'll tread lightly in the future.

"[...] it's comparatively better in every possible way even though the two games are different genres and are incomparable".

Funny, considering this whole conversation started when the very people you're presumably defending attempted to make exactly that kind of comparison!

I think there's just a misunderstanding here. I agree that anyone buying Gauntlet expecting Diablo III is going to be disappointed. The fault, however, is not in the game itself, but rather in the expectation.

You mentioned the use of "dungeon crawler", but prior to that, the description says "dungeon brawler", which is probably more accurate for people who are not fully aware of the type of game that Gauntlet is. Dungeon crawler is a fairly ambiguous term and shouldn't really invite an automatic assumption that it falls into a particular genre, let alone one different than that of the original game. Either way, there are enough videos available that there should be no confusion. They simply aren't the same genre.

Dungeon crawlers are more associated to games like Wizardry and Etrian Odyssey, but pretty much any of them qualify as dungeon crawlers. From the Soul games, to Gauntlet, to Diablo, to roguelikes, they're all technically dungeon crawlers. It's one of those stupid and archaic terms like CRPG.

Calling them separate genres is a stretch. Someone else mentioned the different gameplay/skillsets. The only Gauntlet I played was in the arcade and there really wasn't any type of special moves other than default attack and I think some screen clearing blast when you got a magic potion. It's been decades, I can't remember. You run around large open levels killing lots of monsters. In Gauntlet it was simply for a high score, in Diablo-clones it's for loot (since people tend not to care about scores these days). Of course in Diablo-clones you have talents, gear, you progress in levels, etc. Fundamentally you're doing the same thing in both games.

Magicka is probably a closer approximation of Gauntlet but that's simply because they focused on the combat/magic (which is far more intricate than Gauntlet) and ignored most aspects of improving your character.

Still trying to understand why someone would play Magicka in singleplayer. WTF?
Unlike your popular self, I have no friends to play Magicka with..

ls0c1.jpg

Based on my understanding of the games, I don't disagree with most of what you said. Personally I didn't finish Diablo or Diablo II because I found them rather tedious. Diablo III was fine for what it was, but if your tolerance for clicky things is low, you won't like it too much either. For me, it was short enough and with competent enough storytelling not to wear out its welcome.

I finished Diablo 1, but never D2 + LoD.

From what I have played of D2, loved it. It's just...always something else seems to get in my way of finishing it!

Though, I have finished D3 + RoS. RoS + Loot 2.0 basically make Diablo 3 finally great & worthwhile, IMHO.

Not only is Campaign Mode a blast in RoS, but Adventure Mode is freaking awesome.

Calling them separate genres is a stretch. Someone else mentioned the different gameplay/skillsets. The only Gauntlet I played was in the arcade and there really wasn't any type of special moves other than default attack and I think some screen clearing blast when you got a magic potion. It's been decades, I can't remember. You run around large open levels killing lots of monsters. In Gauntlet it was simply for a high score, in Diablo-clones it's for loot (since people tend not to care about scores these days). Of course in Diablo-clones you have talents, gear, you progress in levels, etc. Fundamentally you're doing the same thing in both games.

Magicka is probably a closer approximation of Gauntlet but that's simply because they focused on the combat/magic (which is far more intricate than Gauntlet) and ignored most aspects of improving your character.
Gears of War and Doom are the same genre because they both have guns, am i rite?. Oh and everyone in CDS said to say hi and they hope you come back so you can be banned again. Just passing along the message, don't shoot the messenger. Hugs n kisses!

Calling them separate genres is a stretch.
Calling them the same genre is a stretch. One is an arcade game, the other is an ARPG. Despite some of the superficial similarities, one is not an approximation of the other.

Against:

• Storyline: Diablo ./ Gauntlet X
  • Inventory: Diablo ./ Gauntlet X
  • Loot: Diablo ./ Gauntlet X
  • NPCs: Diablo ./ Gauntlet X
  • Towns: Diablo ./ Gauntlet X
  • Quests: Diablo ./ Gauntlet X

For:

• Vague Fantasy Setting: Diablo: ./ Gauntlet ./
  • Kill Monsters: Diablo ./ Gauntlet ./

Fundamentally you're doing the same thing in both games.
Fundamentally, you're doing the same thing in every game. Hell, why not stretch (see what I did there) the comparison to its utmost extreme: fundamentally, you're doing the same thing all the time!

The only Gauntlet I played was in the arcade [...]
Word of advice: when I don't know much or anything at all about a given subject, I generally refrain from making authoritative statements about it. That way I can avoid inviting snarky comments because I won't be saying and implying that, for example, Gauntlet = Diablo = Warcraft = DMC = GoW = DOOM = chess with a fantasy aesthetic = basketball = hide-n'-seek = life = chess with a traditional aesthetic = collecting Steam games = everything ever.

You know someone has their panties in a bunch when they won't let things go.

Grats bro, you've totally convinced us on the fine nuanced differences between Gauntlet and Diablo using your sound logic and rationale, now can we move on? /ycs

Moob continued the discussion and referenced my post, so I replied. Responsibility of a thinking human and all that. I would've gone into greater detail, explaining the differences between Gauntlet and Diablo, but I the differences are obvious to anyone who actually plays video games. One is action, the other is some action-strategy blend (that ends up being poor at both).

Word of advice: you have no avatar therefore your argument is irrelevant.
lol, that was actually pretty good!

Moob continued the discussion and referenced my post, so I replied. Responsibility of a thinking human and all that. I would've gone into greater detail, explaining the differences between Gauntlet and Diablo, but I the differences are obvious to anyone who actually plays video games. One is action, the other is some action-strategy blend (that ends up being poor at both).

lol, that was actually pretty good!
Protip: Mooby only plays retro, "pixel art", rogue-like games. Save your keystrokes.

Jesus H Christ can people STFU about Gauntlet and Diablo?

Go find some other corner of the internet to argue about something inane and useless in the name of being 'right'.

Who the fuck cares what he likens Diablo to? He's entitled to his opinion. You have to be pretty sad to be offended by something so trivial.

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

I love how flip-flop the SJW dipshits are about what can or cannot be discussed in a thread. First you scream bloody murder about people (and mods) telling you to stick to deal talk only in deal threads. Next, you bitch incessantly when the posts are off topic in regards to something you don't want to read about. Basically, the thread should just be about what the hivemind SJW wackos want it to be about at any given moment, eh? I'll get right on that.

The SJW hive mind hears your feedback and deems it irrelevant. You will be assimilated.

And you will STFU about Gauntlet and Diablo.

Didn't know a basic discussion about video games had the ability to trigger so many people. I understand 'thinking' is a terrifying concept for some of you, so I'll back out and you guys can go back to chattering about your Steam levels and DRM software 'collections'. But just one last thing:

He's entitled to his opinion. You have to be pretty sad to be offended by something so trivial.
Considering I haven't sperged out about a harmless discussion, I would say that I'm not the one who has been offended. Also, the whole 'entitled to an opinion' stance is a very dangerous train of thought and I really hope you seriously don't need me to explain why. Later!

bread's done
Back