Fans Threaten to Boycott Sonic 4....By Purchasing Sonic 1?

chatgirl4

Banned
Sega hopes to rejuvenate their flagship franchise with Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but one group in particular isn't on board: deranged Sonic fans. Destructoid discovered an internet petition by a sect of gamers who believe -- based entirely on the exceedingly brief footage that's been leaked -- that their money would be better spent on downloadable versions of the original Sonic. That's right -- they intend on punishing Sega by throwing money at them. Here's their spiel in all its unedited glory:
"Fans of the sonic series are like most sega fans, we want their old games brought back to the glory days when sega was pretty much the power in video games. Seeing the gameplay of sonic 4 has made many of us realize what we already knew, Sonic 4 will simply not be anywhere near as good as the original sonic games. Either way, We will decide to finally show sega what the fans truly want. A real sonic 4, as long as sonic 4 stays the way it is, we will not buy it, we will in fact buy sonic 1 on release in protest of sonic 4, till we end up with a re tool, or change, we want sonic in hd, not sonic RUSH HD. We will not buy a future sonic game, till we get a true successor to sonic 1/2"​
Whatever your opinion on Sonic's upcoming 2D adventure, you'd be hard-pressed to find much logic in their proposal. Never mind the fact that, by definition, these Sonic fans have almost certainly played through the original Genesis game already -- probably on several platforms. And what message, exactly, will Sega get if people march in droves to buy the nearly 20-year-old Sonic the Hedgehog instead of Sonic 4? It's sure to be about as effective as shopping at Sam's Club because you're boycotting Walmart.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178122

read about this while learning about yakuza 3, they are just stupid. Sega already made a collection for there games. I tryed to beat sonic recently on the Genesis, HARDEST S#!+ ever! got to the airplane level and died at the boss which made me lose all my progress. Never played a sonic game again.

[quote name='phantasyx']read about this while learning about yakuza 3, they are just stupid. Sega already made a collection for there games. I tryed to beat sonic recently on the Genesis, HARDEST S#!+ ever! got to the airplane level and died at the boss which made me lose all my progress. Never played a sonic game again.[/QUOTE]

oh man you just made me have flashbacks from my childhood. i think i played sonic every day and would get up to that level, lose, then turn it off for the rest of the day and repeat the next day. damn that level!

wtf.... those greedy spoiled fans need to just go back to their basements.

No one lashed out at Capcom for MM9 or MM10???

I'd say go fuck yourself, Sonic 4 will be great. Not everything needs HD.

[quote name='xycury']wtf.... those greedy spoiled fans need to just go back to their basements.

No one lashed out at Capcom for MM9 or MM10???

I'd say go fuck yourself, Sonic 4 will be great. Not everything needs HD.[/QUOTE]
Megaman 9 was exactly like the others before it with no technical overhaul in its 8 bit glory. Sonic 4 will be part 3d on a 2d surface but I will still be getting it. Its a dumb arguement for them

So its kinda like new Super Mario Bros except its Sonic and people are angry? I understand the frustration of the sonic fans but this fanboy logic boggles the mind sometimes. These people that say they will buy the first one instead of 4 know they are going to end up buying it anyway, dunno why they want to raise a stink about it. I dont think I heard anything this stupid when the last sonic games were released. Those were pure crap and treated like they should be, with garbage reviews and sales. Figure this weill have a similar fate if its as bad. Im curious about where the people are that want to see another Shenmu instead of watching Ryu ride a forklift in their new cart racing game, now theres something a little more understandable.

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']I just read something thats even more STUPID . . . . people are buying Snuggie's just cuz it has Street Fighter 4 on it :applause:[/QUOTE]

Whoa whoa, I have conclusive scientific evidence that having sleeves on your blanket make you 1000 times more cool than your sleevless bretheren.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Best laugh I've had in a long time. Thanks future Sonic 4 buyers

I guess I am the only one that gets what they are saying and what they are trying to do. They want a Sonic game done just like MM9 was. A full 2d game not this 2.5d, 3d with a 2d background or 2d with a 3d background stuff like SFIV was. With buying the first game and the sales for it going up they think that Sega will say hey sales were really low for Sonic 4 but really high for the first Sonic game. I think people what it to be like that. I don't think it is a bad idea however the people that would be for it already have the Sonic games on every media they have come out on.

I will check out a demo of it and that will be about it unless I really like the demo. I do know that I don't want another game like they have been doing. I didn't mind it on the DC for a change but after that it got to the point that it was not in the right direction.

Also after looking at the site for the game it says it will come out on the Wii, PS3, 360 and some mystery system. I'm wondering if that will be Steam, GFWL, or that OnLive thing.

Anyway with what little of it has been shown I think people need to just get the demo play it and if they like the demo buy it. Or do like me and hold off if the demo is good and see if they anounce that they plan on releasing this on disc. The fact that it is DLC only is what will stop me from getting it. I don't want to download it then 5 or 10 years later want to play it only to have my HDD or 360 go out on me. Then get another 360 and not be able to download it like the original xbox content now.

[quote name='chatgirl4']Sega hopes to rejuvenate their flagship franchise with Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but one group in particular isn't on board: deranged Sonic fans. Destructoid discovered an internet petition by a sect of gamers who believe -- based entirely on the exceedingly brief footage that's been leaked -- that their money would be better spent on downloadable versions of the original Sonic. That's right -- they intend on punishing Sega by throwing money at them. Here's their spiel in all its unedited glory:
"Fans of the sonic series are like most sega fans, we want their old games brought back to the glory days when sega was pretty much the power in video games. Seeing the gameplay of sonic 4 has made many of us realize what we already knew, Sonic 4 will simply not be anywhere near as good as the original sonic games. Either way, We will decide to finally show sega what the fans truly want. A real sonic 4, as long as sonic 4 stays the way it is, we will not buy it, we will in fact buy sonic 1 on release in protest of sonic 4, till we end up with a re tool, or change, we want sonic in hd, not sonic RUSH HD. We will not buy a future sonic game, till we get a true successor to sonic 1/2"​
Whatever your opinion on Sonic's upcoming 2D adventure, you'd be hard-pressed to find much logic in their proposal. Never mind the fact that, by definition, these Sonic fans have almost certainly played through the original Genesis game already -- probably on several platforms. And what message, exactly, will Sega get if people march in droves to buy the nearly 20-year-old Sonic the Hedgehog instead of Sonic 4? It's sure to be about as effective as shopping at Sam's Club because you're boycotting Walmart.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178122[/QUOTE]
Maybe they should throw their money at learning how to capitalize proper nouns.

People are strange. Also, fuck Sega. Sonic 4 is actually a new Sonic game, whereas they shit all over the rest of their franchises. Where's my REAL Shining Force? Phantasy Star? Oh yeah, dungeon crawlers and online shit do not count.

And I better get my VF5 Final Showdown console port. :bomb:

[quote name='Halo05']I like the fact that they're clamoring for a follow up to Sonic 1/2. What the fuck was Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles?![/QUOTE]

Tohse gaems were not cannon becuz they used teh sonic with different colored shoes that were diffrent from teh ones in sonix 1/2 and also tails is obviously not teh tails from sonic 2 because his fur has a couple different color sprites so it is probably tails' brother

wanna see sum of my sonic and tails drawingz?

[quote name='tankass']Whoa whoa, I have conclusive scientific evidence that having sleeves on your blanket make you 1000 times more cool than your sleevless bretheren.[/QUOTE]

HA HA HA yea rite . . . when will people realize that Snuggies are a FREAKING 'ROBE'!!!! Also side note wearing snuggie doesnt dub you COOL ha ha ha

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']HA HA HA yea rite . . . when will people realize that Snuggies are a FREAKING 'ROBE'!!!! Also side note wearing snuggie doesnt dub you COOL ha ha ha[/QUOTE]

ha ha ha you are so right ha ha ha

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']HA HA HA yea rite . . . when will people realize that Snuggies are a FREAKING 'ROBE'!!!! Also side note wearing snuggie doesnt dub you COOL ha ha ha[/QUOTE]

ha ha ha i actually hadn't considered that it's just a robe ha ha ha

[quote name='Halo05']No, I saw enough of those from Strell's buddy and his fan fictions.[/QUOTE]

That was such a great find.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Maybe they should throw their money at learning how to capitalize proper nouns.[/QUOTE]

Bah...you beat me to it.

I for one will get Sonic 4....I think it'll be nice. And to be honest I hated the 1st one. But Sonic 2 was awesome.

[quote name='phantasyx']read about this while learning about yakuza 3, they are just stupid. Sega already made a collection for there games. I tryed to beat sonic recently on the Genesis, HARDEST S#!+ ever! got to the airplane level and died at the boss which made me lose all my progress. Never played a sonic game again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really hate when people get bent out of shape over petty shit in games. Those people are totally lame, don't you agree?

DarknessBear is right, you know - gamers never stick by their threats to boycott whatever it is they're against.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']People are strange. Also, fuck Sega. Sonic 4 is actually a new Sonic game, whereas they shit all over the rest of their franchises. Where's my REAL Shining Force? Phantasy Star? Oh yeah, dungeon crawlers and online shit do not count.

And I better get my VF5 Final Showdown console port. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

This.

I was such a Sega fanboy when I was a kid... I grew up on Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Streets Of Rage, Alex Kidd etc. but Sega has seemingly made it their mission to ignore most of their good franchises and rape the others until they are unrecognizable garbage.

Honestly though, I truly believe we're better off without Sega trying to do a real Phantasy Star V or Shining Force IV... look what they did to Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Shinobi (GBA) etc. We're better off with good memories than seeing these two franchises ruined.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']People are strange. Also, fuck Sega. Sonic 4 is actually a new Sonic game, whereas they shit all over the rest of their franchises. Where's my REAL Shining Force? Phantasy Star? Oh yeah, dungeon crawlers and online shit do not count.

Hell, I am willing to kill for a translated version of the ps2 remade of Phantasy star 1 AND 2.

I paid 12.99 for a used Sonic Unleashed - the last Sonic game I will ever buy. That first level you do is just so damn close to capturing the charm of a 2D sonic, then, the fucking Werehog happens. The single slowest walking character I have ever seen in a game.

[quote name='loganx1187']This.

I was such a Sega fanboy when I was a kid... I grew up on Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Streets Of Rage, Alex Kidd etc. but Sega has seemingly made it their mission to ignore most of their good franchises and rape the others until they are unrecognizable garbage.

Honestly though, I truly believe we're better off without Sega trying to do a real Phantasy Star V or Shining Force IV... look what they did to Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Shinobi (GBA) etc. We're better off with good memories than seeing these two franchises ruined.[/QUOTE]

They already made a new Shining Force IV. They call it Valkyria Chronicles. And they already made Phantasy Star V. It's called Skies of Arcadia.

Sega. TROLL BIG or GO HOME.

[quote name='loganx1187']This.

Honestly though, I truly believe we're better off without Sega trying to do a real Phantasy Star V or Shining Force IV... look what they did to Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Shinobi (GBA) etc. We're better off with good memories than seeing these two franchises ruined.[/QUOTE]
I see you guys never actually played Phantasy Star IV, as you would know Phantasy Star V would not be possible due to the overall story being FINISHED. It even says it's the conclusion on the boxart.

And why do they keep doing Sonic? Because Sonic is one of their profiting franchises. Do you honestly think Sega's older franchises are capable of pulling in heavy numbers like Sonic or some of the newer IPs?

The Phantasy Star series hasn't sold too well until hitting online. And even though it's sad that a good number of players have no idea there were PS games prior to Phantasy Star Online, that's what sells and what's in demand.

Remember what happened to Shenmue? Despite the massive demand for it, the two titles didn't bring in enough for Sega to deem profitable.

It's also worth noting that many of the key players involved with the past series' aren't around anymore. Sonic Team's not the same Sonic Team it was 10 years ago. STI is long gone, hence why Dimps picked up the slack when ST wasn't doing any Sonic games. It's also why NiGHTS on the Wii tanked. Key players within development groups and the overall company are no longer there.

[quote name='Tsukento']I see you guys never actually played Phantasy Star IV, as you would know Phantasy Star V would not be possible due to the overall story being FINISHED. It even says it's the conclusion on the boxart.
[/quote]
I have played Phantasy Star IV, finished it multiple times. it's great. I don't care if they intended it as the end of the original storyline, just make a new one with a new story.

And why do they keep doing Sonic? Because Sonic is one of their profiting franchises. Do you honestly think Sega's older franchises are capable of pulling in heavy numbers like Sonic or some of the newer IPs?
Not after they keep getting burned by shitty games. They'll learn, at some point.

The Phantasy Star series hasn't sold too well until hitting online. And even though it's sad that a good number of players have no idea there were PS games prior to Phantasy Star Online, that's what sells and what's in demand.
I agree with this. Also, fuck MMOs.

Remember what happened to Shenmue? Despite the massive demand for it, the two titles didn't bring in enough for Sega to deem profitable.
That's because Sega hates its fans. Case in point, they are sending Yakuza 3 and Resonance of Fate to die at the hands of FFXIII and God of War 3.

It's also worth noting that many of the key players involved with the past series' aren't around anymore. Sonic Team's not the same Sonic Team it was 10 years ago. STI is long gone, hence why Dimps picked up the slack when ST wasn't doing any Sonic games. It's also why NiGHTS on the Wii tanked. Key players within development groups and the overall company are no longer there.
Sonic Team has sucked for a long time now. I think the last Sonic game I enjoyed was the first Sonic Adventure, and it's not even good anymore. Dimps is OK, but they can't really make an authentic Sonic game IMO. Nights on Wii was an abortion.

Sega just sucks ass now.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I have played Phantasy Star IV, finished it multiple times. it's great. I don't care if they intended it as the end of the original storyline, just make a new one with a new story.[/quote]
They did that with NiGHTS. Look what happened.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Not after they keep getting burned by shitty games. They'll learn, at some point.[/quote]
Regardless of the quality, Sonic's games still sell. Whereas their other properties have a harder time struggling to stay up there. Phantasy Star is their second property that's doing well, that's also an older franchise.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I agree with this. Also, fuck MMOs.[/quote]
Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Zero and Phantasy Star Portable 2 are fun. They're good games within their own rights. Phantasy Star Universe, however...

[quote name='hankmecrankme']That's because Sega hates its fans. Case in point, they are sending Yakuza 3 and Resonance of Fate to die at the hands of FFXIII and God of War 3.[/quote]
It's unfortunate timing, yes. However that doesn't imply they hate their fans. Obviously the fans who asked for said games WILL buy them. Meanwhile, it's also obvious that non-fans won't go picking up Yakuza 3 if they've never even played the first two. You also probably won't be seeing Final Fantasy fans debating over which to pick.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Sonic Team has sucked for a long time now. I think the last Sonic game I enjoyed was the first Sonic Adventure, and it's not even good anymore. Dimps is OK, but they can't really make an authentic Sonic game IMO. Nights on Wii was an abortion.[/quote]
While Dimps can't completely recapture the Sonic franchise like the Sonic Team of old and STI did, they have done a fairly good job of it with the Sonic Advance series and portions of Sonic Rush.

I do agree that Sonic Adventure was probably the last good one as it captured quite a bit of the Genesis games' feel (musically and level layout-wise). Sonic Unleashed might have been better if it wasn't for the awful Werehog bit that completely slowed down the game.

And yeah, NiGHTS on Wii was a fucking disaster. This is partially due to the fact that they abandoned the 360 version and rushed the Wii version.

[quote name='diddy310']I paid 12.99 for a used Sonic Unleashed - the last Sonic game I will ever buy. That first level you do is just so damn close to capturing the charm of a 2D sonic, then, the fucking Werehog happens. The single slowest walking character I have ever seen in a game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I feel like a genius, I downloaded the first level demo for free and appaerently its the best level of the game. Plus the way it loads, you just play it over and over till you get sick of it.

I would love a new Sonic to go back to almost 100% racing.

To make it interesting keep the 3D-on-rails part but also have Sonic get stuck in 2D for a few levels. Just nail the speed aspect, throw in some simple tracks, top it off with some eye candy and fuck anything else.

[quote name='paddlefoot']sigh, I just want to purchase Panzer Dragoon Saga on the virtual console[/QUOTE]
Not possible.

1) Saturn emulation is barely there. It's almost impossible to emulate most of its library.

2) The source code for the game has officially been lost. So a port is highly unlikely, as Sega works with the source codes rather than straight up ROMs.

bread's done
Back