Far Cry 2 (360) 14.98 - Amazon DotD

[quote name='Linkhero1']anything good that's $10-11? I want free shipping[/QUOTE]

I remember those days. :bouncy:

[quote name='Brother Daz']I was just about to hit post and thought I'll check one time to be safe someone hasnt been posted it yet. Here it was, you just beat me to it.

BTW
http://www.amazon.com/Far-Cry-2-Xbo..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=113S11E917YWN8W1GH1Q[/QUOTE]

how do you make a cheapassgamer amazon link like that?

And I'm going to pass on this crazy deal. I'll pass the info on though.

Its really not that great of a game IMO. I got really bored with it fast, then traded it in the next day.

[quote name='FurryCurry']^^^ I remember those days. :bouncy:

how do you make a cheapassgamer amazon link like that?

And I'm going to pass on this crazy deal. I'll pass the info on though.[/QUOTE]
Cut & paste:whistle2:$

Got mine during the Steam sale a couple of months ago. Pretty sure it was the same price too, but I have a beefy PC, so everything is turned up :)

With the Slim PS3 being the #1 seller on Amazon, you'd think that they'd be having DotD's for PS3 games/accessories, but I guess not...

So many great deals lately, but I havent jumped on any of them. Waiting a few more weeks then im going to get the three month amazon prime trial so i can get free shipping till christmas. Hopefully the deals will continue by then.

[quote name='earvcunanan']With the Slim PS3 being the #1 seller on Amazon, you'd think that they'd be having DotD's for PS3 games/accessories, but I guess not...[/QUOTE]

What are you talkin about? Yesterday, we got a whopping $12 off of Madden '10!!!

[quote name='earvcunanan']With the Slim PS3 being the #1 seller on Amazon, you'd think that they'd be having DotD's for PS3 games/accessories, but I guess not...[/QUOTE]

You can play games on a PS3?

I have farcry 2 and i really dont think its even worth the 15 dollars.

75 % of the time you are driving around in a car for 5 to 10 minutes you get out kill someone then do it again. It is fun for a little while but i just got sick of it at a certain point.

60 % completion i couldn't take it anymore.

The actually shooter game play is good but most of the time you will either be driving to and from a bus stop or driving to and from the city's.
With some kind of fast transport the game would be 100 times better.

Bought it on steam when it was $25 not worth it imo

[quote name='trufan2']I have farcry 2 and i really dont think its even worth the 15 dollars.

75 % of the time you are driving around in a car for 5 to 10 minutes you get out kill someone then do it again. It is fun for a little while but i just got sick of it at a certain point.

60 % completion i couldn't take it anymore.

The actually shooter game play is good but most of the time you will either be driving to and from a bus stop or driving to and from the city's.
With some kind of fast transport the game would be 100 times better.

Bought it on steam when it was $25 not worth it imo[/QUOTE]

I agree, its pretty poopy, I honestly wouldnt even take a free copy now.

[quote name='super_dawn']Not too bad a deal....but I got mine for $5 at the HV sale. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. Still haven't played it yet though.

[quote name='Geello']You can play games on a PS3?[/QUOTE]

Lol. Mine is pretty much just a blu-ray player.

While I "understand" the dislike of FarCry2 I always found it just a wee bit ironic. Now I hate to run things off topic as much as the next lad but (and while this isn't the intent of games in general) hasn't our hobby been steadily crawling towards the inevitable "true sims"?

I say that from a standpoint that; do you really think you'll go wandering even in a real live skirmish between two quarreling armies and always be balls-to-the-wall trigger squeezing like a gangsta for eight hours straight? This game deals in small firefights that last about as long as they would in real life. And if you enjoy sniping then even less so.

Mind you I'm not trying to be an elitist but I absolutely loved this games theory of combat and while yes I'll agree the game can be tiring at times but gosh darn-it if it isn't in some form or another original in the same vein that Assassin's creed was compared to the other games in that year. Yes both games were repetitive. Yes both had some short comings.

But I get the feeling that games such as these; these alternate variations of tried and true can be one day (hopefully in case of AC2 then come Nov) be panned out into truly riveting experiences. After all who wouldn't like some virtual reality that truly lived up to our enormous expectations?

Hopefully I didn't annoy anyone as that was not my intention. And just for some connection to the thread; I paid $26 for it during black Friday (amazon) and while I'll admit I still haven't completed it, I do hop back to it occasionally and would recommend the game to the willing. Oh and before the PC gamers chase me with pitchforks; I know I'm not big in keeping up with their genre bending games that only grace their platform and thus if FarCry2 is ultimately peanuts floating in an ocean of crystallized water then ignore all my comments.

Except the one about the peanuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm enjoying the game. I spent the first 20 hours just searching for safe houses and diamond cases. Normally I don't waste time doing stuff like that, but I'm having fun. The world is huge and I love sniping guards at the safe houses. I do agree that walking on foot and even driving can get a bit tedious. After having 20+ hours into it. I only have 4 main missions done. haha. Hopefully they don't make you drive from one side of the map to the other too often. That would be very lame.

[quote name='Hardware']I'm enjoying the game. I spent the first 20 hours just searching for safe houses and diamond cases. Normally I don't waste time doing stuff like that, but I'm having fun. The world is huge and I love sniping guards at the safe houses. I do agree that walking on foot and even driving can get a bit tedious. After having 20+ hours into it. I only have 4 main missions done. haha. Hopefully they don't make you drive from one side of the map to the other too often. That would be very lame.[/QUOTE]

Oh they will :D If you're doing missions for the gun-dealer, or any other mission, you occasionally have to travel to the whole opposite point of the map that you may be at during the time being.

I enjoyed the gunplay and physics, but the game just seemed so long. I might think of rebuying it, but idk

[quote name='Spatchmo']I agree, its pretty poopy, I honestly wouldnt even take a free copy now.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it is a crappy game. Definitely not worth $15.

I think Amazon screwed up by mistake yesterday, that DOTD was supposed to be for the XBOX 360, not PS3:

Saturday, August 29, 2009
Tales of Vesperia: Xbox 360 $14.98 (Reg. $29.99)

Sunday, August 30, 2009
Fight Night: Round 4: Xbox 360 $52.99 (Reg. $59.99)

Monday, August 31, 2009
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Xbox 360 $9.98 (Reg. $29.99)

Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year: Xbox 360 $29.98 (Reg. $49.99)

Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood: Xbox 360 $54.99 (Reg. $59.99)

Thursday, September 3, 2009
Madden NFL 10: PLAYSTATION 3 $56.99 (Reg. $59.99)

Friday, September 4, 2009
Far Cry 2: Xbox 360 $14.98 (Reg. $29.99)

[quote name='Hardware']Hopefully they don't make you drive from one side of the map to the other too often. That would be very lame.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what happened to me when I played. I enjoyed the game a lot at first but all the driving really put a damper on the fun factor.

The game was awesome for like two hours and then it became too repetitive. Multiplayer was fun (but basic) though, reminded me of the old Delta Force games on PC.

Overall I'd say it's an enjoyable game. I would have gotten it for $5 at the HV sale, but a few weeks before I got it for $12.50 (still not a bad price, but I didn't know the HV sale was coming) along with Prince of Persia for the same at their 2 games $19.99 and under for $25 sale.

I didn't find the driving quite as bad as other people did. The game kind of sputters at the end, just not all that much more they could add to the gameplay that you didn't already do, so don't expect a huge, exciting conclusion. But it was a decent experience overall, and the multiplayer's decent, with a good enough community that you won't usually have trouble finding a game, at least for deathmatch/team deathmatch. Plus the people who play it don't seem to be as annoying as those with whom I've played other games online (Halo 3, Saints Row 2, and GTA 4 coming to mind).

People are being way too hard on this one. It's a really enjoyable game. In fact, my largest complaint would be that it's too much of a really enjoyable game. I'd echo the sentiment that it drags on a bit too long, it really requires a serious time commitment if you're going to finish it and do all the other stuff you can do.

I fail to see how an absolutely gorgeous FPS with good controls and probably 75 hours of gameplay if you do everything is "not worth $15". It's not the best game ever made, but it is, ahem, "worth $15". If you haven't played it, go for it.

Save system in this game is SHIT. I played the PC version where you can quicksave anywhere and I still got bored with it. Pretty much an african wasteland with no bobbleheads to find.

I think one of the problems is people not being able to see the forest for the trees on this game.

Does Far Cry 2 have serious flaws? Absolutely. But the overall experience is still a fun one, and just driving around the absolutely gorgeous game world is worth the price of admission alone.

All three versions have an 85 on Metacritic. This is a good game. Not great, but worth $15 for sure.

[quote name='danh920']hows the achievements in this?[/QUOTE]

from what I've heard, it takes a long time to get 100% completion in this game.

Picked it up for 5 dollars at the Hollywood Video sale. I loved the first Far Cry and thought this would be a no brainer. I suffered through the whole game. What an awful pile of crap this game is. While the graphics are quite good, that is the only plus I can think of at the moment.

The story is a disjointed mess. Everyone in Africa (except your 12 buddies) hate you and will kill you on sight (actually they'll try to kill you even if they can't see you, in the middle of the night from hundreds of yards away). Even if you drive by them at 50 MPH and they drive by you at 50MPH, they still know it's you and will do a 180 and somehow be on your ass firing away at you, until your car (that's apparently made out of paper mache) goes up in smoke after a smattering of bullets hit the backside.

There's about 3 or 4 different types of missions in the game. 1. You receive ovjective from a cell tower. The goal is to kill people. 2. You receive objective from a weapon dealer. The goal is to kill people. 3. You receive an objective from the faction leader. The goal is to kill people. 4. You receive an objective from a buddy. The goal is to kill people. I guess I understand why everyone wants to kill me now, I'm a real asshole! I guess Ubisoft thinks that popping malaria medicine every half hour would be a fun game mechanic. They were wrong. I guess Ubisoft thinks that having a gun jam after firing one magazine would be a fun game mechanic. They were wrong.

Here's the entire game for you: Receive objective to kill person. Take a vehicle, preferably a jeep with mounted gun. Drive a half a kilometer until you get to an place where people are. Kill the people since they are trying to kill you. Get new jeep or repair the one you have. Repeat this process of driving, killing, repairing every half KM until you reach your objective. Kill your intended target and drive back to get new objective, stopping again every half KM to kill the people that are after you. That's it. That's the game. Have fun!

I bought this with the buy two get one free Gamestop had over the holidays (combined with the temporary $20 discount on Ubisoft games)... played for maybe an hour before I traded it in. Normally I give games of all types a fair shake, but I just couldn't stand this one and could that, for me, it wasn't going to get better.

Cheers to those who do enjoy it... I wish I could.

[quote name='danh920']hows the achievements in this?[/QUOTE]

You can get 140 hours out of this game. After 20+ hours I have 110GS. If you're looking to 100% this one quickly, walk away. I completed Just Cause 100% and I personally think Far Cry 2 is the way Just Cause should have been. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying it so much. I agree that driving around just exploring is worth it alone. For some reason I just got sucked into the world of the game and even though I don't game often I don't mind putting hours into this and not really advancing the story. I figure unlock all safe houses first, this way if you get into trouble you have a place to get rest and save. If you're willing to put time into this game I truly don't see why you wouldn't enjoy it. I paid $20 a few weeks ago through go gamer. I love it!

[quote name='johnsdoe00']from what I've heard, it takes a long time to get 100% completion in this game.[/QUOTE]

Ya....I believe it takes around 80-100 hours of playtime to get 1000/1000

AAAAAAAAARGH!

I *just* bought this this week along with Watchmen in the Best Buy sale...meaning I paid more for the whole thing. *doh*

Oh well, I still got a decent deal. Can't believe people wouldn't try this for $15.

This game seemingly has blended an RPG with a Shooter. And Fails. It's so repetitive and boring.
If you want an RPG, go get an RPG. If you want a shooter, go get a Shooter. I got this for 10 bucks on clearance at target, played it for a bit, and looking to get rid of it.

I've been playing this one for a little bit and I really enjoy it. Granted, I'm not looking to get to 100% completion of a game in a weekend and I honestly don't care one bit about achievements/trophies, so I play in small portions when I need to head out and snipe some peeps, make incremental progress. I absolutely love the atmosphere it creates and I appreciate the gritty realism and desolation it conveys, the ability to set fires and just watch them burn is fantastic. But I can understand that people looking for a run-and-gun experience could be turned off by this game. I'd definitely pick it up, though, if I didn't have it already.

Just wanted to echo that this is worth skipping for most gamers. I picked it up for $40 after good reviews and was really disappointed. As many have stated the game has way too much travel time. To add to that repetition the guard outposts respawn every time you pass them leading to the same exact time-consuming battles every time you drive by them: and you will drive by them frequently. I would say the only good price to pay for this game is $0, otherwise you've got plenty of better options out there for the same price you'd pay for this.

I've heard totally mixed things with this game-I mean there are definitely people who love it too, though it's not Crysis or something.

Still, I was willing to pay about $20 to give it a shot, so hopefully...

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Looks like Amazon has their lips right back on Microsoft's ass today.[/QUOTE]

tinfoil_hat.jpg

We're back with this again? :D

I have very mixed feelings about this game. I absolutely hated the re-spawing enemies at the roadblocks. I don't see how anyone could defend that part of the game. The safe house save system was also annoying. Both of those things increased the length of the game for no benefit.

Once I found the weapons I liked, the game did redeem itself somewhat. The sniping was probably more satisfying than any other shooter I've played. The flare gun also added a different strategy to "firefights."

The three recommendations I can make to people just starting the game: SAVE OFTEN (not sure if the save bugs have been fixed), PLAY ON EASY (you do not want to repeat most missions), and try each weapon (you will find a style you like).

Thanks for the advice! Dang, now I'm a bit worried about it again...the repeating stuff sounds HORRIBLE. It would be one thing if you leveled up or something, so you were getting something for it, but to just arbitrarily do it again and again...

Oh well, I do know some people have really liked it, so there's a chance... (I think that "perform surgery on yourself" stuff is super gross though :lol: give me a damn health pack :p )

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Looks like Amazon has their lips right back on Microsoft's ass today.[/QUOTE]

:roll::roll:

Well, honestly I'll admit it is a little weird when it's a multiplatform game, though I'm assuming they just have stock of the one platform they want to reduce, or something.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well, honestly I'll admit it is a little weird when it's a multiplatform game, though I'm assuming they just have stock of the one platform they want to reduce, or something.[/QUOTE]

We have a winner. Some people treat it like its some grand conspiracy, and he was in the DotD thread yesterday saying the same thing "finally got their lips of Microsoft's ass". Same reaction here. Amazon is a business, they put deals on stuff they want to move.

I dunno who is this guy, but seriously if you dun like a game or have no willing to buy it, then just walk away

but of course you have the right to show everyone that you are such a douche

With this game, you either love it or hate it. I loved it and from what I can tell, most people who hate it are the people who run into the middle of the enemy's camp and wonder why they die so quickly.

Here's a few tips on how to survive and make the game easier overall:
Play most of the game during the night, the enemies visibility falls dramatically. During the day, you can be hiding in the grass and be shot from who knows where. During the night, you can almost walk up to a guy's face and he won't start attacking you.

My favorite combo was the sniper rifle and silent pistol. Use the sniper rifle to clear out as many as you can from a distance and then use the silent pistol to clean everyone up without alerting whoever is still alive.

Never drive in anything besides a jeep with a weapon attached to it. That way, if you see someone coming, it's a quick move to the weapon and you can fuck them up pretty quickly. Also, try to avoid the roads when you're driving, you can avoid a lot of people that way as well.

You should be saving frequently and also, make it a point to replace your guns at the armory whenever it's easy to. Use the bus stops almost every time as they make traveling waaay more convenient.

bread's done
Back