Far Cry 2 ... Am I Wrong?

AvidWriter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
*SLIGHT SPOILERS*

I just finally got around to playing the game and boy does it suck. I mean, all I managed to do in the first half hour was somehow get malaria....pass out. Wake up to shoot some guys to pass out again then finally I get to walk around. Only to drive 5 minutes to a place, shoot for 15 seconds then drive another 5 minutes to get a mission.

Now I figure the game will start.... Nope. Driving another 5+ minutes along the way getting attacking by everyone just because only to get to my destination, kill 3 guys and have to drive 5+ minutes back to get another mission.

Am I wrong? I'm playing the game correctly or am I missing something? I like games like this usually. I like fallout 3 and oblivion but this is NOT those games. This game really needed better fast travel then those damn bus depots which are spread way too thin.

Also what is up with the enemies taking that many shots to die. I unloaded a half a clip into something clearly not wearing armor and he started to get back up... Also fixing your car every time you hit one too many things is really annoying.

So help me out, anything redeeming here or just move on and forget I ever got it?

I've put like an hour into it and yeah, I had the same feelings. Been to busy to check around and see if there any mods that can redeem it, but I'll give it one more try if I can't find any mods.

So far though, it is my most regrettable Steam purchase

I dunno if you played the first Far Cry, but if you played that you should have realized that Far Cry was never about good gameplay.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I dunno if you played the first Far Cry, but if you played that you should have realized that Far Cry was never about good gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Tried the first one way back, never got more then an hour in.

I played Farcry one when it was F2P. I did not see what the hubba was all about...which made me stay away from Farcry two...even when it was free. I did not feel the urge to play it.

Other games to go after.

Those open-world first person shooters always hook me with their premise and then I get bored after a few hours. I happened to me with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Fallout 3, and this game.

Nope you're exactly right, Far Cry 2 sucks big ball sacks and I bought it not knowing it wasn't made by Crytek. The first Far Cry and Crysis are pretty great though in my opinion. I'm positive that Far Cry 3 will suck and Crysis 2 will be awesome :whistle2:$.

I was in the same boat as you when I first started playing the game. I absolutely hated the gameplay but after playing more the game started to grow on me. I started to enjoy the weapon upgrades and different ways to complete the missions. The horrible travel system isn't going to change though. I suggest playing some more and see if you will start enjoying it.

I put maybe 16 hours in to the game and while the lack of direction was a bit annoying, I've enjoyed the game a good bit. They AI weren't aimbots but they weren't dumb as bricks either. The gunplay felt nice aside from weapon degradation. Loved the graphics and fire mechanics. All in all, no GotY but I felt satisfied buying it for 15 bucks.

Using the flamethrower and watching a massive fire spread as every dry piece of grass caught on fire was the only fun I had with the game.

Bought it for $5 during Black Friday. I say it was well worth it. It's not a game for everyone; you need a ton of patience to do a lot of things. The travel system is really, really annoying (especially when vehicle handling is iffy), and you'll expect one or two shootouts everytime you go anywhere (Namely from patrols/Guard Posts). But I found it to be really really fun.

It's really gratifying when you finish an objective using your own methods. Take the assassination missions, which gave you a ton of flexibility on how to kill fools. Take your sniper rifle and LMG, shoot the guy, then fight your way out using the LMG? Drive a jeep mounted with a machine gun, and just gun everyone down? Do it stealthily?

So on and so forth.

Fixing your vehicle is one of the biggest annoyance here. Malaria really hasn't proved to be a problem; maybe it's because I'm lucky that it only happens when I'm doing boring stuff (like not shooting people.)

Not wrong, while the driving did not bother me, the every enemy base in the middle of the road re spawns with enemies once you drive away from it. Even if you killed everything in it.

I loved the first game on PC, when I picked up the sequel on PS3 with an open world I was expecting something like the first but more. We got more, huge world, boring driving for minutes and repetition on taking out a strong hold or going up river.

I tossed this game quick and moved on, what a let down for the Far Cry franchise.

I thought this game was fantastic. It has it's share of problems, but it also has more soul than most of the other FPSs released in the last two years.

There were certainly annoying things about the game (malaria, constant driving, instant respawning checkpoints), but I enjoyed my time with the game. It was mostly trying out new tactics to assault a base/checkpoint and trying out different weapon combinations that made me keep playing for as long as I did. However, after about 15-20 hours, I moved on.

REALLY wish I hadn't bought it on release though. This was before I learned to be patient and wait for sales.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I dunno if you played the first Far Cry, but if you played that you should have realized that Far Cry was never about good gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on the first Far Cry was great and you know it. The graphics and AI were phenomenal and it was the first game where you would see a mountain miles away and actually be able to travel to it. The outdoors were pretty much a snipers paradise and indoors weren't too shabby either. Then again I might give it the worst ending of all time award.

I have Far Cry 2 (paid maybe $4 for it) but I keep reading all these negative posts about it so I don't really feel like giving it a chance.

Had it on the Xbox 360 and while it has some positive points, the driving around just drove me nuts. That and the really odd stealth system.

I have the 2nd and have yet to play it. Though the first one and some of the others I really enjoyed. Hell the first one had some very very memorable multiplayer

I hear you. Farcry 2 can be a frustrating games, but I have a few tips for you to enjoy it more:

1- use your grenades and molotovs! At first I was afraid to "waste" then, but you can find lots of it, and it helps clear guard posts quite easily;

2- buy the repair upgrade for the assault truck: it might seem useless, but the assault truck is the vehicle you will encounter the most, and that will speed up it's repair quite a lot.

3- the malaria will stop bothering as you progress through the game, just do the Underground missions as soon as they show up.

4- use the bus system to travel! It might not be the ideal solution for the long travel time, but it helps a lot.

Hope that helps! Also, if you want my weapon recommendations: for slot 2, grenade launcher, for slot3, ak-47 or ar-16, slot4, dart rifle. Have fun!

sarcasm, why all the hate, but you can start fires and the wind will spread it out, and you can get in a flying machine and fly "forever" because of the games miles of territory....LOL I kid I kid, I didn't like the game either.

Remember all the teaser and demo footage always showed off the fire spreading via wind stuff?

I actually went back and gave it a second try because I wanted to pad the space between the next game I play. I had some (a little) fun with it but a lot of the little things that were annoying kept happening too frequently and I wound up rushing through the main story. Odd ending, odd story in general.

[quote name='kamui34']Had it on the Xbox 360 and while it has some positive points, the driving around just drove me nuts. That and the really odd stealth system.[/QUOTE]
Bah tell me about it.

I was doing an assassination mission, and I managed to get myself in a hut, with a guard a few feet away from me.

Mind you, this is night time.

I would think a machete attack from behind would do a silent, one-hit kill.

I guess not.

It was a poor choice to bring a sniper-rifle that day :(

Far Cry 2 is a game that can grow on you.

Far Cry 1 was an amazing FPS game for its time. However Far Cry 2 was not made by the same people, just another company trying to cash in on the success of the first.

The driving at the start can be extremely annoying, and yes, there is a lot of driving to do in the game. However you can minimize this driving by using the bus stations that automatically transport you instantly to a location near where your objectives are.
When I started to get a lot of diamonds, and really beefing up my weapons collection, is when the game started to become very fun. I love open environment and this environment is pretty open. The landscape and setting is awesome in my opinion, along with the music. If you want to get your moneys worth and actually want to enjoy this game but seem to be having trouble doing such at the start, I suggest you play it for a bit before you pass judgement. Get some weapons, and start blowing stuff up, it can be really fun.

bread's done
Back