Far Cry 2 -Discussion & Info - 360 Map Editor & Gameplay Footage

I have a new unopened copy that I picked up from GS that came with the bonus missions, but they already have a few used copies at one of my local stores. Is there a way I can pick up the bonus content with a used copy, or will I miss out on it?

[quote name='Razzuel']finding them is not as obtuse and stupid as the pigeons in GTA IV for example. You have a tracker that will beep green when you are close to a diamond—which are the hidden packages. The closer you are the faster it beeps. When you are pointed in the direction of the diamond, the light constantly stays green, that way you know where it is.[/quote]

It may not be as obtuse, but it's definitely, definitely more inconvenient. You have to freakin' pull out the map, point, aim, walk a few steps, readjust, aim, etc.. it's like treasure hunting (which, I guess, it is). It's annoying. I wouldn't have mind if something made an actual sound.. or even if the controller rumbled.

[quote name='ajh2298']I have a new unopened copy that I picked up from GS that came with the bonus missions, but they already have a few used copies at one of my local stores. Is there a way I can pick up the bonus content with a used copy, or will I miss out on it?[/QUOTE]

It's just a code that you use on the menu to unlock the missions. I'm pretty sure they're on every disc. The codes aren't one time use only either. Use the one posted in the thread when you buy the used one.

I picked up the used copy today and returned my unopened copy and with the cellphone coupon plus my edge card it saved me $23.00. I was wondering my used copy only came with a manual am I missing a fold-out map or anything else?

[quote name='Scorch']It may not be as obtuse, but it's definitely, definitely more inconvenient. You have to freakin' pull out the map, point, aim, walk a few steps, readjust, aim, etc.. it's like treasure hunting (which, I guess, it is). It's annoying. I wouldn't have mind if something made an actual sound.. or even if the controller rumbled.[/quote]

Eh, I am enjoying finding the diamonds. There was this really cool time where I was driving along the railroad tracks when my tracker started blinking. I was searching around and I figured out it was on top of a large plateau-esque rock with only desert around it. My first thought was that I needed a glider. A glider is going to be somewhere up high right? So I start walking up the closet mountain. When I reached the top I started looking around for any gliders in the distance. That was when I spotted a glider up on a mountain on the other side of this valley in front of me. I went up there grabbed it and flew down to the diamond, it was really cool.

Oh and the sunset in this game is beautiful, seriously beautiful.

I wish I could carry an assault rifle and a sniper rifle at the same time. It is kind of annoying having a close range gun (silenced pistol), a long range gun (sniper rifle), and a flamethrower, when having a medium range gun with those three would be the perfect combination.

Anybody else have a feeling that this game is going to be long. I only have 16 percent of the game done with seven hours. I have only done about six story missions and eleven side missions. I guess Fallout 3 is going to have to wait because I am playing Far Cry 2 and Fable 2 right now.

Wow, it doesn't seem like this game is getting the loving it deserves.

I am about eight hours in and I am still thoroughly enjoying it. I decided to switch up my play style a bit so I bought some new weapons. Instead of using a silenced pistol and the Dragunov sniper rifle, I picked up the hand held grenade launcher and an AK47.

That hand held grenade launcher is bad ass. One of my favorite weapons so far.

[quote name='Razzuel']Wow, it doesn't seem like this game is getting the loving it deserves.

I am about eight hours in and I am still thoroughly enjoying it. I decided to switch up my play style a bit so I bought some new weapons. Instead of using a silenced pistol and the Dragunov sniper rifle, I picked up the hand held grenade launcher and an AK47.

That hand held grenade launcher is bad ass. One of my favorite weapons so far.[/quote]
Good to hear that you're liking the game more Raz, I figured that once you put more time in and changed from the run-gun style you'd enjoy it more. I'm digging it, and I really like how the AI can loose you in the brush instead of always knowing where you're at.

its suprising to see how little attention this game seems to be getting.
i really think it sort of snuck up on people and theres just so much coming out.
i was going to wait but i couldnt resist.
i love this time of year.

Well it was also releasing against Fable 2, while not a FPS seemed to take all the 360 attention in the US.
VGChartz estimated sales for first week 360 games US:
Fable II 705k
Farcry II 116k
Midnight Club 79k
Spiderman 51k

100k isn't bad and it will probably sell over 250k by the end of December. Only only concern is the makers of this game are Ubisoft. Every time they put something out they tend to have a good sale on the game within 3 months for about half the price, and that's what I'll be waiting for.

How is the multiplayer? I don't care much for the single player. I'm more concerned about the MP community and longevity.

[quote name='Monsta Mack'] Only only concern is the makers of this game are Ubisoft. Every time they put something out they tend to have a good sale on the game within 3 months for about half the price, and that's what I'll be waiting for.

How is the multiplayer? I don't care much for the single player. I'm more concerned about the MP community and longevity.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean.
im fairly certain this could be had before the holidays pass under $40

Id have waited if i wasnt able to pick it up in the gs b2g1

Well decided to start this game tonight and have a bit of a break from GH and Fable 2. Wow do I suck or is the game hard. I'm on normal but man I don't like how you can't tell where you're getting shot at. I don't know what or how but something blew up and then the fire just spread, wow that was cool. I just finished the first mission and I took my buddies advise. What do you do in this game if you don't have a car, like the spot where I left my car was gone so I had to walk, run, all the way back to my safe house.

The game isnt hard, its cheap. At first I thought it was a good thing but the game just pisses you off and thats what caused me to rid myself of it. You will literally drive for 10 minutes and then get killed by some random guy. The game is way to big for its own good b/c of the difficulty. Honestly they put the missions so damn far away then they decide that b/c you wasted 20 minutes of your life you dot get to finish your mission. Also the game is just repetetive. It gets old fast. If they had helicopters or a better variety of vehichles then it may be better. Games like Just Cause, GTA 4 and SR 2 should help games like Far Cry 2 improve but I dont think ubisoft got the message. Also the enemies all look exactly a like and their AI consists of, hey theres a guy two feet away. Shoot, run back and forth, shoot, rinse and repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
to say they all look exactly alike isnt really true.
ive also found save points to be close enough, if im on my way across the map to a mission i pull off to a safe house or weapons depot close to the mission.

my only issue is up to this point i cant be sneaky enough.

This game is somewhat underrated. Leave it to UbiSoft to not spend any marketing money on one of their holiday releases. I probably only heard about this game because of the GameStop pre-order bonuses thread! I've only finished what turned out to be the tutorial, so perhaps I am speaking too soon. But I think overall the game isn't too bad.

I started on hardcore, and the game doesn't seem that hard. It's somewhat like a FPS GTA in Africa. You've got a lot of driving, referring to maps, and small bursts of combat for your missions. The combat feels Bioshock-like without the plasmids. It takes a few shots to kill your enemy, and you've got plenty of health syringes on you. I'm kind of disappointed that as far as combat goes, all you've got is take cover and fire on the enemy which attracts all of the enemies to you. I wouldn't mind a little more AI. I can see how the game could get boring with the driving, large map, and having several tasks and side tasks to do, but I hope it doesn't wear me out.

Yeah it is a shame that this game got overshadowed by Fable 2 and Fallout 3 because I really enjoyed it.

I just beat it and I gotta say, I really liked it. Yeah there were some slight annoyances, but overall this game was great. The game is fucking beautiful. The best shadows and sunlight I think I have seen in any game. Sunsets and Sunrises are unbelievable.

Yeah the game was hard, but if the game is so hard that it is frustrating you then just turn it down to easy. That is what I did. I started on normal, but I kept getting my ass kicked. Once I moved down to easy and got used to playing the game I was having great time. Dieing is not really a problem in the game either because almost every time I became incapacitated, one of my buddies came and rescued me.

About the ending:
I chose the car battery. That was really cool in a epic/sacrificial/heroic sort of way. My guy cut some wire, threw his machete to the ground, and then waited for me to press them against the battery. I enjoyed the story and thought that sacrificing myself was nice way to end the game.

Here are my statistics at the end of the game, if anybody is interested in seeing them:

FarCry2Statistics.jpg

[quote name='wgpfly']How much GS did you get from completing it?[/quote]

I played through it on PC. Sorry if that was ambigious, but there really isn't a Far Cry 2 PC thread to discuss the game, which is why I have been talking about it here.

I've been playing for about an hour. The game looks even better than the first one. My only complaints thus far is the very poor dialogue (the characters dont take break between lines,everything just kinda runs together) and the fact that this seems more like Mercenaries 3 than FarCry 2.

Though I dont know if my Mercs comparison is valid as I never played FarCry 1, I have only played/beat Far Cry Instincts Predator. I just remember FCIP being a lot more linear, in a good way.

[quote name='Bezerker'] My only complaints thus far is the very poor dialogue (the characters dont take break between lines,everything just kinda runs together) [/QUOTE]

Weird huh? Its like they needed to slow down the actors or something.. Its pretty distracting portion of the game actually.

I'm bumping this due to the fact that

A. my friends wants to play this so I'm essentially buying it for both of us now
B. it seems like it, like someone said, is underrated.

NO ONE ELSE GOT THIS? Reading some backstory and everything, it seems like a likely competitor of Fallout 3. Although Fallout 3 is probably the better of the two, Far Cry 2 is getting a heavy price drop. It's already down to like $36 on eBay, and it seriously doesn't look that bad. This is good for me, because then I can get it on the cheap lol.

edit: This reminds of me Zack & Wiki for the Wii. No one really heard about it, but it did catch some media attention. It's under the radar, now that it's out, still nothing! Everyone's busy playing Fallout 3 and whatnot.

I can't decide how I feel about this game. It's a lot of fun. It gives me this feeling where I want to tell my friends all the crazy shit that happens while I'm on a mission. The driving all over the place gets old though. Anyone else have conflicted opinions of this game?

I only played it for like 5 minutes so far, since I got Gamefly and I've been receiving some of the games from my GameQ. The only real thing I don't like about this is the diamond radar. From what I've seen and played with so far, the radius of the diamond radar is pretty big, and it doesn't really tell you where it is. I ended up walking around for like 5 minutes finally finding the case. Sneaking up on enemies is fun though, especially in the dark.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I only played it for like 5 minutes so far, since I got Gamefly and I've been receiving some of the games from my GameQ. The only real thing I don't like about this is the diamond radar. From what I've seen and played with so far, the radius of the diamond radar is pretty big, and it doesn't really tell you where it is. I ended up walking around for like 5 minutes finally finding the case. Sneaking up on enemies is fun though, especially in the dark.[/quote]

I wish they had the diamond radar feature in a game like Crackdown so I could find those orbs. They do have an audio radius but yea. I can't believe this game is like 40 bucks now, total bargain. After turning down my difficulty I enjoyed it tremendously.

[quote name='Razzuel']Wow, it doesn't seem like this game is getting the loving it deserves.[/QUOTE]

+1. Ubi really hit this one out of the park.

Destructoid was pretty much right on by saying after a few hours the game clicks with you and becomes totally awesome. For me, it was driving to intercept a caravan, hiding in the brush, blowing the caravan the fuck up, followed by dispatching a few severely wounded survivors with a casual bullet to the brain.

So awesome.

[quote name='Snake2715']Weird huh? Its like they needed to slow down the actors or something.. Its pretty distracting portion of the game actually.[/quote]

Have you ever spoken to an African before? they don't breathe when they talk.

The driving and dieing from god knows where is the thing that drove me away from the game. It was solid, but driving for 20 minutes only to get killed by a guy in the grass 50 yards away just got annoying

[quote name='slickkill77']The driving and dieing from god knows where is the thing that drove me away from the game. It was solid, but driving for 20 minutes only to get killed by a guy in the grass 50 yards away just got annoying[/QUOTE]

Agreed, that's how I used to feel like but then I turned down the difficulty and didn't have this problem.

I have put a few hours into this game, and I am liking so far. However, the one thing that really wrecks it for me is that there are no civilians and you never get to fight with buddies or allies.

I mean, your buddy will come save you, but then he pretty much just stands there then. Not like he ever helps you with anything.

Also the whole "This mission is so super secret that we won't even tell our guys about it, so they are gonna shoot you up and possibly jeopardize the mission" is kinda annoying.

However, I still really do love the game. It probably has the most beautiful environments of any game I have ever seen.

The one thing I hate about the game is that no matter how many times you clear a guard post, the enemies always come back. Crashing your assault truck into their crappy huts and unloading them with the turret never gets old though. Lol wow just tried multiplayer, I suck. Well I held my own against lvl 13 and 8s, I'm now lvl 2, wooo.

I highly recommend to just do the weapons depot missions first, its a lot easier and stick with your weapons, enemy weapons suck and jam.

[quote name='deszaras']I can't decide how I feel about this game. It's a lot of fun. It gives me this feeling where I want to tell my friends all the crazy shit that happens while I'm on a mission. The driving all over the place gets old though. Anyone else have conflicted opinions of this game?[/quote]

I rented it and felt like I wanted to like it more than I did. Its one of those games I'd buy at a cheap price like $20. Its good, and I love the idea of a FPS open world game, but at times, getting to far away places just had me bored. I loved the graphics and some of the game physics, like wind affecting grass that was on fire.

wow this game's price is dropping faster than the economy

Currently:
$40-Amazon
$40-$10 GC= $30-BestBuy (have to be a reward zone member & in store only)
$30 range- eBay

I might have to try this game from GameFly after I beat Dead Space

I will buy Far Cry 2 once it drops to 20 bucks, like Hell's Highway. Ludwig Kietzmann loves the game, and I trust his opinion.

Good game so far, but what was up with that intro. Basically jacked it from COD 4. It was cool for a minute, but got boring really quickly. It was just way to long. I like the game though.

You know another thing that bothers me, but isn't game breaking, is that fire lasts for only like 30 seconds.

I would love to torch a dry field and watch it burn for a long time, or use it to block off enemies from chasing me. But unfortunately, it just goes away almost immediately.

I believe they had to do that to cut down on all the resources the game engine has to calculate when fire eliminates foliage. It's amazing in the first place, your standards are a bit too futuristic as we don't have the power to do that while having the game optimized with everything else, (lighting, AI, physics, wind, flame, particle generation). However I do not disagree that watching a whole field of grass go up in smoke in the hot African sun wouldn't be entertaining to watch.

ebgames.com has this game listed at 34.99 used. You could use the cag16 to get it discounted. I just purchased it last nite, but i'm holding my breath and hoping that it comes in pretty decent condition with the manuel....could be wishful thinking though.

I got the game for xmas and its my next game to beat.. is anyone still playing this? Is the driving the reason the thread has seemed to have fallen off the earth?

I have an extra gamestop pre-order code that has the extra missions or whatever is included with it, I'm not completely sure.

The first person who wants it and PMs me proving that they actually have the game can have the code.

[quote name='homeland']I got the game for xmas and its my next game to beat.. is anyone still playing this? Is the driving the reason the thread has seemed to have fallen off the earth?[/QUOTE]

YES! Traveling sucks ass. I got rid of this POS after playing it a couple times. YAY a car, wait, here comes three groups of guys, blow up my car and now I get to RUN to the next check point, BLAH!

I'm generally pretty easy to please when it comes to games, but man this one is a stinker IMHO.

[quote name='FrankySox']YES! Traveling sucks ass. I got rid of this POS after playing it a couple times. YAY a car, wait, here comes three groups of guys, blow up my car and now I get to RUN to the next check point, BLAH!

I'm generally pretty easy to please when it comes to games, but man this one is a stinker IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I'm about half way through the game and I'm really trying hard to like this game. I hate how much of the game is spent just traveling to missions. I wish they put more bus terminals in the game.
Respawning guard posts/areas are also a pain...right now i'm just trying to beat the game as quickly as possible and get rid of this.

[quote name='jjunior1212']I'm about half way through the game and I'm really trying hard to like this game. I hate how much of the game is spent just traveling to missions. I wish they put more bus terminals in the game.
Respawning guard posts/areas are also a pain...right now i'm just trying to beat the game as quickly as possible and get rid of this.[/quote]

How long is the game? I've heard 50 hours to complete is that correct?

I think the main problem is the length...

I am about half way through, I just (very small spoilers)
went to the southern area.
and it is just kinda getting old...

I really loved the game at first, but it feels like it should be a 15 hour game at max. Plus the exploration side really has no benefit.

Definitely one of the best missions though is
After you got shot up at the bar and ended up in the desert and was given the order to assassinate that leader dude. I was very careful to sneak up on a hill nearby and I spotted him out and killed him with one shot and was able to escape undetected.

[quote name='homeland']How long is the game? I've heard 50 hours to complete is that correct?[/QUOTE]

I've done exactly half of the main mission quests and it has taken me about 12 hours...i'm pretty sure the 50 hours would include all of the sidequests and such

[quote name='jjunior1212']I'm about half way through the game and I'm really trying hard to like this game. I hate how much of the game is spent just traveling to missions. I wish they put more bus terminals in the game.
Respawning guard posts/areas are also a pain...right now i'm just trying to beat the game as quickly as possible and get rid of this.[/QUOTE]

Well you did better than me, I couldn't even get into this game. Played it twice for a combined 2 or 3 hours and ditched it quick, like Kobe and bloody panties.

Farcry 2 was easily one of the most enjoyable game I'd played all year. It completely usurped any attention I was giving fable 2 or Fallout 3. Like most games that are around 20 hours long, it takes 1 or 2 to get hooked. I'd easily take an mission pack/added faction expantion for this over Fable 2 or Fallout 3.

Anyone have suggestions on what would make Farcry 3 even better? Maybe some Stalker RPG elements?

bread's done
Back