Far Cry 2 - Thread of Cash-Money, Diamonds, and Blood OUT NOW (B+/10 says 1up)

leveskikesko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I'm not much of an FPS fan, but this game has me really intrigued me. Not because of its awesome traditional fps gameplay, but for its immersion and realism. It seems almost like a living breathing game, not just in the details like other sanbox games, but in gameplay that is constantly evolving and entertaining....at least from what I've read.

I will be playing it for a long time to come if it even half way-delivers on the hype.

REVIEWS:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170792

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/far-c...101515462250036622/g-20070221105850448013/p-2
With gameplay this organic and a world so rich and explorable, Far Cry 2 is a game you’ll live in. You’ll regularly play it until embarrassing o’clock in the morning, and then you’ll get up and shamelessly start all over again. And you’ll love every second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--zR5BQAW0

http://www.justin.tv/gameronline -check this if you're interested in seeing the map editor feature

Far Cry 2 is getting a home space, neat stuff.

2942778276_e01bcca166.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/16/far-cry-2-comes-home-today/

Anyone else interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently not. I made a Far Cry 2 thread about a month ago and nobody posted in it. It's kind of sad, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of interest in this game, even though it looks fantastic. I can't wait for it to be released.

I haven't seen too much of the game but from what I have it looks amazing. I might pick it up. I gotta look into the game a bit more.

I follow its news and want to get it, but there is too much coming out. Something has to be cut from release day purchase and relegated to sometime later in 2009.

[quote name='Squall835']Apparently not. I made a Far Cry 2 thread about a month ago and nobody posted in it. It's kind of sad, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of interest in this game, even though it looks fantastic. I can't wait for it to be released.[/quote]

Oh, really? The 360 forum seems to be somewhat interested, but ps forum is weird when it comes to certain games. Like Pure for example, that's gotten no buzz for some reason, which is weird because it kind of reminds me of an even more arcady motorstorm.

I always wanted to get into the sandbox games, but none of them actually feel truly sandbox. Even GTAIV, great game, but the world still felt very gamey and shallow with its scripted missions. This game looks like it could finally bring the sandbox gameplay I've been dreaming about.

Comes out Oct 21st. I'm still waiting on some more impressions, but so far it all seems positive.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Oh, really? The 360 forum seems to be somewhat interested, but ps forum is weird when it comes to certain games. Like Pure for example, that's gotten no buzz for some reason, which is weird because it kind of reminds me of an even more arcady motorstorm.

I always wanted to get into the sandbox games, but none of them actually feel truly sandbox. Even GTAIV, great game, but the world still felt very gamey and shallow with its scripted missions. This game looks like it could finally bring the sandbox gameplay I've been dreaming about.

Comes out Oct 21st. I'm still waiting on some more impressions, but so far it all seems positive.[/quote]

All of the reviews logged by gamerankings.com have been really high scores so far. The only downside is that they're all magazine reviews, so you can't get a good idea of what the game is like, yet. I'm still pumped for this game though, and will be picking it up as soon as it comes out. I'll post impressions if anyone is interested.

I downloaded the trailer from the store. I'm gonna buy the game. I dunno how I'm gonna get the money, but I'll find a way, lol.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, squall. Sometimes the best and most honest impressions are from regular posters just like us.

It's kind of funny, I wasn't really interested in this game at all until a couple of days ago when I read about it in EGM.

i was just wondering why no one is talking about this game, i may be the only one whos happy that LBP is delayed so i can play this game instead

I'm actually just as excited about for this game as I am for LBP. Both games seem to have incredibly unique concepts that are capable of pushing the gaming industry forward. A lot of seemingly innovative games popping out this season.

Not just your standard action adventure, rpg, or fps hit, and that makes me happy.

I referred to Far Cry 2 as a dark horse this mad season. I really hope it is. Previews make it look and sound like a real unique experience. I also really want to try its map editor.

I was just thinking about making a thread. It looks like a KILLER. I mean come on. People are more excited for games that dont look near as good as this.

Ever since I watched the trailer from the Store I have this great urge to play the game. How have the other Far Cry games been? I have never played them before. Are the stories any good?

[quote name='Blackout']Ever since I watched the trailer from the Store I have this great urge to play the game. How have the other Far Cry games been? I have never played them before. Are the stories any good?[/quote]

I haven't played them but I thought it was pretty interesting that this game is completely ditching the plotline and character perspective of the last game.

You were some Navy seal type guy in the last game - this game seems to be basically copying the mercenaries storyline.

[quote name='camoor']I haven't played them but I thought it was pretty interesting that this game is completely ditching the plotline and character perspective of the last game.

You were some Navy seal type guy in the last game - this game seems to be basically copying the mercenaries storyline.[/quote]

So it's basically a "restart" of the series?

[quote name='Blackout']So it's basically a "restart" of the series?[/quote]

The two games have nothing to do with each other, really. The first one was made by a completely different development team (The guys who recently made Crysis), this new installment is made by Ubisoft Montreal; so it's really only a sequel in name, not content or even developer.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Map Editor looks like fun times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBi_Yd-KENQ&feature=related[/quote]

I spent several hours with the map editor and no matter how much I edited the map, it never ended up being a valid map. Thus, I never got the Creat a Valid Map acheivement. And in case anyone was wondering GS managers got their free copies from Ubisoft last week. ;D

[quote name='Ziv']I spent several hours with the map editor and no matter how much I edited the map, it never ended up being a valid map. Thus, I never got the Creat a Valid Map acheivement. And in case anyone was wondering GS managers got their free copies from Ubisoft last week. ;D[/quote]

I hate you Ziv; I hate you so much! Just kidding, so how is the single player aspect of the game?

Pretty good I guess. It plays solid, but not outstanding. After playing a lot of COD 4/W@W, I wished I could duck by clicking right stick (I use tactical layout) Aside from that, the controls work well. The graphics up close don't seem too good, but from a distance everything looks amazing. Like a Monet.

The map editor has tons of options, and is fairly easy to manipulate. I wish it were a little easier to finalize a valid map. Better than an ever changing checklist. Just when you think you're done, it adds a new parameter.

And I can't say anything about the multiplayer, as the servers weren't up while I was playing. Strangely enough though, there were already ranked players. Seems like it will be a good game overall. I'm looking forward to Fable 2 and Gears of War 2 and Call of Duty: World at War, so I'll be passing this game over to a friend of mine who lives and dies by user created content.

Anyone that pre-ordered at Gamestop know how the six bonus missions are available? Is it a download code or built into the game? May hold off on the purchase if I can download the missions later.

So, anyone get it yet? I'm still on the edge, the first reviews for this got me hyped, but Eurogamer and 1up's reviews have gotten me a little weary. Some of the realistic effects like repairing your cars and your weapons jamming up are starting to sound gimmicky, especially considering your enemies don't have to worry about their guns ever jamming. The checkpoints also are starting to sound a little too unforgiving. At the same time this game still looks awesome to me.

I'm going to need more impressions, so if any of you are really enjoying this game give this thread a well-deserved SHOUT OUT!

[quote name='leveskikesko']So, anyone get it yet? I'm still on the edge, the first reviews for this got me hyped, but Eurogamer and 1up's reviews have gotten me a little weary. Some of the realistic effects like repairing your cars and your weapons jamming up are starting to sound gimmicky, especially considering your enemies don't have to worry about their guns ever jamming. The checkpoints also are starting to sound a little too unforgiving. At the same time this game still looks awesome to me.

I'm going to need more impressions, so if any of you are really enjoying this game give this thread a well-deserved SHOUT OUT![/quote]

I'll be picking it up tomorrow afternoon, once I'm out of class. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Is this definalyot out today? Gamestop .com still says ships 10/21 and amazon says in stock on october 23 and im gettin worried i wont be able to pick this up today

I'm grabbing it (hopefully) at lunch in about an hour if Best Buy has it in. IGN gave it an 8.8, Gamespot gave an 8.5, I saw one review which was 9/10 so it's getting really good marks.

The thing that IGN (or was it Gamespot) knocked it on was that there aren't varying degrees of difficulty in the enemies. The guys you fight initially are the same guys you'll fight at the end (maybe just more of them). I'm fine with that because the ramp up is what tends to kill a game for me if your character doesn't progress as well (like in the first FC).

I just love the idea that I can approach a situation by whatever means I want.

Hey guys, I picked up the game about an hour ago. I've only scratched the surface of it so far, but as of this time, I like what I see. I've gotten into a few fights with enemies thus far, but AI is pretty good in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is how movement speed is controlled. Unlike most FPS games where you look at a constant speed, with this game, the speed of turning increases as the analog stick gets further from the center. It's not really a big deal, just something I'm not used to. Other than that the controls work well. Anyone who has logged in time with CoD4 will be able to jump in right away and feel comfortable. One last thing for the curious ones out there: the extra missions are on the disc, but must be unlocked with a code that comes with the package.

Awesome first impressions, squall, can't wait to hear more. If you could touch on how bad or well implemented checkpoints are, how the overall difficulty is, online multiplayer, and the overall freedom in missions is that would be awesome too.

I have been following the Far Cry 2 thread on NeoGAF and the consensus is that the enemy AI is pretty good, aggressively hunting down your character when you are spotted using flanking tactics to surround and kill with superior numbers. Sounds like fun to me.

[quote name='Squall835']One last thing for the curious ones out there: the extra missions are on the disc, but must be unlocked with a code that comes with the package.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if this is a one use code or if the missions are specific to the limited edition discs. If its not, I may just hold off and buy it when its cheaper.

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']I wonder if this is a one use code or if the missions are specific to the limited edition discs. If its not, I may just hold off and buy it when its cheaper.[/quote]

A few people on GameFAQs reported getting the same code for their game, so it may be that anyone can enter it and get the missions. I believe someone posted one of the codes as a cheat on the Far Cry 2 page over there.

So, on a scale of 1-10 how awesome is the game to you?

I'd buy this in an instant if it didn't have such a wallet raping price right now. The reviews haven't exactly sold me on it, but maybe some of you guys like squall will.

I would say a 6. I have been playing for awhile and it has picked up some its still regreting spending the money I did on it. But the multiplayer is a blast. Single Player visuals are amazing. Just the missions are a bore. But I dunno like I said maybe it picks up heres hoping.

[quote name='leveskikesko']So, on a scale of 1-10 how awesome is the game to you?

I'd buy this in an instant if it didn't have such a wallet raping price right now. The reviews haven't exactly sold me on it, but maybe some of you guys like squall will.[/quote]

It depends on how much you like FPS games, and how open minded you are. This isn't like Call of Duty 4, the action is much more methodical (at least if you want it to be). It can get boring driving between areas, and the respawning enemies do grate on the nerves here and there, but the AI is really good, and I also like that you have to do missions for the gun shop in order to unlock better weapons. I can see why some people wouldn't be that enamored with it, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

im intersted with seeing it in person on the 360. it has look to it that reminds me of uncharted, bt not really in a good way. the plants look funny to me. i guess its a lack of smoothness overall.
i picked it up from gs in the b2g1 and im on the fence with it. because of the graphical look mostly.

as far as the guns jamming, it makes sense. if you pick up dirty beat up looking guns thats a sign that theyll jam. it certainly lends a frantic pace when youre in a big shoot out and your junker gun jams up.

the gameply has some freshness to it which makes it different than other shooters.

if youre on the fence i suggest at least renting it intstead of passing completely.

I have this game for my PS3 and I am having lots of fun with it. It started out tougher than I expected but I have adapted and am starting to appreciate this game. This game is huge.

the game has a smoother look to it on the 360. I dont know what it is exactly but the foliage just looks better on the 360 imo.
ive put a good bit more time into it since my last post and the game is solid. the more you play, the more resources you have, the more fun it is.
my only issue so far is its too hard to sneak around, i havent been able to complete missions via only stealth.

i dont know about how well the 360\ps3 versions run, but this is def a must buy. I hate all the driving and random encounters but the rest is fantastic A in my book. i have it on the pc and it looks and plays better than Merc 2(ps3).

The game can start of frustrating, but after you get some missions under your belt and upgrade your equipment it actually becomes a good deal easier. Once you pick up the silenced MP5 and tack on the Accuracy Upgrade for the gun and the Stealth upgrade for yourself, the difficulty level decreases dramatically in my opinion.

When you start out, the first person you take down in an area will cause enough commotion to raise everyone to their feet. With the combination mentioned above, I could sneak around and take out the entire Shanty Town one by one and never get seen.

i agree completely, its sort of daunting when you start out.
the more you play the more fun the game gets.
the mp5 is solid. i LOVE the mk140 though. that thing is hilarious.

im glad i bit on this game i was really on the fence with it but its a great game.
im going to mess around with the map editor for the first time tonight.

Alright so after playing multiplayer and getting to rank 7 last night, I logged on today and dropped to rank 4, nice glitch ubisoft, good thing you never checked that out.

The online lags somewhat, I kill someone and it takes 3-4 seconds to register, unless of course I host.

Uprising is really fun to play, just with the right team, too many people have no idea what they're doing :(

I was just as excited if not more than other people about this game coming out, then after playing it for 31 hours I find out it's a broken game. I'm stuck at 69% with a mission i can't get inside the building to be told about. I've done every possible thing i could otherwise and still there is no one to let me in the building. I've heard of other people being stuck at 27%, 73%, 48%, and 88% without anything to do to get beyond it other than loading a previous save, which poses a problem for someone like me who only kept a single save file.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/3131031896/p/1

bread's done
Back