Fat HD into new slim PS3

Chadt74

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (98%)
What is the best way to get my info off my fat HD onto my new slim PS3?

I did not back up very recently before my YLOD. I tried to put the old HD in the new slim and got an error message about updating the firmware.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

[quote name='Chadt74']What is the best way to get my info off my fat HD onto my new slim PS3?

I did not back up very recently before my YLOD. I tried to put the old HD in the new slim and got an error message about updating the firmware.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Unless you manage to get your fatty up and running long enough to either back it up(which won't include locked saves), use the transfer utility by networking the two ps3's, or uploading your saves to PS+. The last two will ensure that all of your saves, even the locked ones, will be transferred.

I was in the same situation as you last week and decided to just send it in to Sony hoping that they would fix it. Unfortunately, they just replaced it and I'll have a different unit at the end of the week, so there goes my saves! I tried the hair dryer trick, which didn't work, but if I could do it over again, I would just get it reballed to enjoy it for just a little bit longer to back everything up and then get a slim when it gives up the ghost.

You need to somehow get your old ps3 running long enough to back up your info onto a PC. Then you can link it with the new system. You can't just swap hard drives from one system to the next.

[quote name='Sk']You need to somehow get your old ps3 running long enough to back up your info onto a PC. Then you can link it with the new system. You can't just swap hard drives from one system to the next.[/QUOTE]
If you're going to use this method, you're actually going to need an external drive and not a pc, in which you'll lose some saves.

If you're going to link two units together, then all you'll need is an ethernet cable, in which you won't lose any saves.

Quick question,

The Hard Drives on a Fat PS3 are the same as those on the slim?

I updated my PS3's 80GB hard drive to 500GB. Will this 500GB hard drive fit on a slim PS3?

Also, I'm aware that I gotta back up the data first and then restore it.

The drives are the same, but they can't be swapped. The PS3 and the harddrive have some sort of pairing that occurs that prevents the drive from working in any other system.

The drives can be swapped hardware wise but the PS3 won't recognize the file system because it's not paired to it. The PS3 will want to format it.

If you just want the bigger HDD from the old system to get into the new system, back up the data on the old system and then swap the HDD. On the new system, format the drive and restore your data (sans locked game saves).

Nbballard is wrong and Eau is correct. I've done it when I moved from my fatty to a slim. I moved my 640gb to the slim and put the 160 in the fatty.

You can swap the hard drive, but it will need to be reformatted if it's on any other PS3 besides the one its been used on. You want to do a backup and get all of your non locked saves. To get the locked saves backed up, you have to bite the big one and get some PSPlus and use the cloud saving. It's also known as the Demon Souls service.

bread's done
Back