Fatal Frame 3 (Asian version) $15.90: Play-asia weekly special

I didn't even know it was out in Japan yet. Too bad I don't know Japanese (and it's probably required for a game like that :D), that's a great deal. Good find.

Aaagghhh I'm SO tempted to get this since I'd really like to play a Fatal Frame game with appropriate Japanese voices and it's cheaper than it'll be when it comes out in the US for probably a year at least.....my comprehension of spoken Japanese is about 50/50, written Japanese practically zero...has anyone played it that knows how text heavy the game is aside from the written entries that you find lying around? Is there any puzzles or anything that require you to be able to read?

EDIT: Ordered it...hopefully a translation guide will come soon. I should do okay for now though. Thanks a bunch OP.

My girlfriend in Japan on exchange has it, and yeah, she says its text heavy. She's pretty much fluent in Japanese (three years studying it, plus a month in Japan with no problems communicating/writing school work) and had to have her host sister help with some. Other than that she says its great, and a serious improvement over FF2, which is one of her favorites.

EDIT: Also, she paid like $46 USD for it there a week ago :p.

I already got both FF & FF2 and its great games but i am not spend $45 on FF3 unless it drop down $30 or less. ;)

Also, don't forget TRAPT from Tecmo :)

[quote name='LaseK']My girlfriend in Japan on exchange has it, and yeah, she says its text heavy. She's pretty much fluent in Japanese (three years studying it, plus a month in Japan with no problems communicating/writing school work) and had to have her host sister help with some. Other than that she says its great, and a serious improvement over FF2, which is one of her favorites.

EDIT: Also, she paid like $46 USD for it there a week ago :p.[/QUOTE]

Dude, let me borrow your girlfriend.;)

I'm tempted by this so badly. I love this series but I'd rather wait for the US version so I don't miss out on any of the story.

For those of you thinking about getting it but worried about not understanding the puzzles(due to the japanese text), gamefaqs.com has a FAQ up already for the japanese version. I don't think it explains the story that much, mainly a walkthrough to help you understand how to get through the game.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I already got both FF & FF2 and its great games but i am not spend $45 on FF3 unless it drop down $30 or less. ;)

Also, don't forget TRAPT from Tecmo :)[/QUOTE]

what is TRAPT?

[quote name='maxgle']what is TRAPT?[/QUOTE]

trapt is the PS2 sequel(I assume it's some kind of sequel) to the PS1 Deception games. I looked at a few vids of it and it looks really nice.... might get it eventually(comes out in a couple weeks).

[quote name='Esper']Dude, let me borrow your girlfriend.;)[/QUOTE]

Trade me a Dreamcast with 4 controllers/VMU's and hookups and we'll see ;d

[quote name='twen']I hate asian versions. I always go with the japanese versions (yes there's a difference).[/QUOTE]

Care to explain what that difference is?

Also despite the stupid name change Trapt should rock, I totally loved the PS1 Deception games.

[quote name='russtophiles']Care to explain what that difference is?

Also despite the stupid name change Trapt should rock, I totally loved the PS1 Deception games.[/QUOTE]

Usually the Asian version is pretty much the same as the Japanese version, except they have different catalog numbers and the manual includes translations in other languages such as English, Chinese, etc. (this varies from title to title - some have no translated manual at all except for the standard warnings and PS2 usage instructions).

Asian version games will play on Japanese PS2s. However, when a game comes with a bonus DVD, it'll be region coded 3 instead of 2 so you won't be able to watch it if you don't have a region 3 or region free DVD player.

Added: TY OP, I'm gonna get myself a copy. Since Tecmo never includes the original Japanese voice track for FF games, this is the only affordable way I can get an authentic edition of the game. Some of the US voice they did were horrible... like Sae's maniacal laughter from FF2. The Japanese voice sends chills down to my spine, while I die from laughter hearing the US voice.

Thanks for the explanation. Totally in agreement with the voices, I could get so much more into the game if they'd just include both language tracks. Reminds me of Shenmue games. Still, $19 shipped for a great import that's still pretty new in Japan is a great deal either way. It goes for $65 on lik-sang.

sometimes the Asian version sometimes might be in Chinese. This could be a problem if you know Japanese but dont know Chinese.

[quote name='62t']sometimes the Asian version sometimes might be in Chinese. This could be a problem if you know Japanese but dont know Chinese.[/QUOTE]

The Asian versions of PS2 games are usually in Japanese, but the thing with the two languages is if you can read one, you can usually fumble your way through the other. Listening is completely impossible, but the writing system is very close.

I just wish they had some english text in-game. I would love to enjoy this series with the original japanese voices.... heck, I'd buy most horror games like this if they had english text/sub-titles...

...bummer.

Its new, they only sell new.

What do I need for my PS2 to play this? I have an original launch day PS2. I'd rather not mod it, is there some boot swap or something?

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Its new, they only sell new.

[/QUOTE]

I believe they do sell some used stuff but that is mostly for older stuff (I think I saw some used sega saturn stuff there).

I know usually if the game contains chinese language they would mention it but, does anyone know if this contains chinese also?

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Its new, they only sell new.

What do I need for my PS2 to play this? I have an original launch day PS2. I'd rather not mod it, is there some boot swap or something?[/QUOTE]

It's called the flip-top cover and Swap Magic discs. Seek it. There's also a cheap "slide card," which will do a number on your drive, and so I don't recommend it.

bread's done
Back