Fatal Frame II (PS2) $30 (2 days only) and GameQuest Direct Weekly Specials

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last week, we got the heads up on the Fatal Frame II and Fatal Frame III reprints from GameQuest Direct. From now until Wednesday, CAGs can grab Fatal Frame II for $29.99 ($20 off) with coupon code CAGFRAME.

GameQuest Direct has also provided the following specials, valid until 3/10. Use coupon code CAG1SHIP for free shipping.
:ps2:Brave: Search For Spirit Dancer $9.99
:ps2:Zatch Bell! $14.99
:ps2:Eureka Seven Vol 2 $14.99
:psp:Dungeons & Dragons Tactics $24.99
:wii:Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer $16.99
:ps3:Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer $16.99

Don't forget, CAG and GQD are giving away copies of Wild Arms XF (PSP) via our CAG Buzz promotion. New winners announced every week!

Is there any special marking on the reprint for GQD that distinguish it from the original print run/production run?

[quote name='racerman8']Is there any special marking on the reprint for GQD that distinguish it from the original print run/production run?[/quote]I'm not sure, but I don't think so. IIRC from the previous reprints, there might have been a missing "sony seal" on the cellophane wrapper". I'm sure someone more familiar can post here and fill you in.

[quote name='maxgle']Thanks Cheapy for hooking us up... what about Fatal Frame 3? can we get it at a discount too?[/quote]That's all I got from them right now.

[quote name='tito1183']How do you use the coupon code?[/quote]
Once you add it to your cart, you will see the coupon code box in the bottom left corner.

FatFII 1st prints have a white strip across the top. GQD reprints do not have white strips. FatFIII never had one (as far as I know), so the GQD reprint should be same, as long as, they use the Y-Fold style sealing technique.

What I don't understand is why the first Fatal Frame isn't being reprinted. Do you need to play the first one to get into the story? If only they would've made a compilation like Devil May Cry or Hitman...

[quote name='CaoPi']woah I remember this being clearanced a few yrs ago for 9.99 at bestbuy[/quote]
Damnit, if only I knew about FF 2's awesomeness back then. Rented the Xbox version from Gamefly a month ago & it just topped my absolute favorite survival-horror REmake (Resident Evil remake for Gamecube) of all time.

So yeah, I ordered 1. Came out to $35.68 or something after applying the $20 discount. Now time to hunt down a used FF 2 for Xbox & then CHEAP FF 1 + 3 for PS2 for the complete series.

How's this game comparing to Fatal Frame III? I'm contemplating ordering a copy for $30 + $3.99 (cheapest media mail).

[quote name='mxpowar']What I don't understand is why the first Fatal Frame isn't being reprinted. Do you need to play the first one to get into the story? If only they would've made a compilation like Devil May Cry or Hitman...[/quote]

Not really, they all have their own stories. They are just somewhat related with the Camera Obsura + some little backstory on the characters that appear.

[quote name='CheapyD']Once you add it to your cart, you will see the coupon code box in the bottom left corner.[/quote]

lol i almost didnt see where to put in the coupon code. it was so far down the page >__< thanks for the deal cheapy! :bouncy:

[quote name='jeremywoods']lol i almost didnt see where to put in the coupon code. it was so far down the page >__< thanks for the deal cheapy! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, same thing happened here.

$30 for Fatal Frame 2... That was $30 I didn't really have, but that's better than having to fork over $30 for a used copy.

Now if only I had another $50 to get Fatal Frame 3.

I hate being poor. :(

This is a great game for Wife-watcher gamers. My wife can't play it per se because it's too intense for her with the action scenes (a few were quite intense for me, namely the old lady that you almost always have to run away from), but she loved watching it while I played. We got to what has to be darn near the end, but stopped playing it, always meaning to get back to it someday.

$10 at TRU on clearance was a steal, $30 is a bit high, but $50 is crazy. Reprints should be akin to a 5th printing of a book, never really worth the true value of the original work.

Should GQD really be charging $50 for these? I know there's probably a valid reason involving rights acquisition and internal costs, but the game's been made and done. I would feel justified with a comparable $20 greatest hits price-point.

With all that said, if GQD drops FFIII to $30 w/cpn, I will most likely bite, but I won't feel like I'm getting a deal.

I plan on watching Eureka Seven the anime someday, will playing the games beforehand benefit me? Any good background story in it?

I bought both of them! Even though I already own both of them.

These games probably had the most of my devotion into completing. I tend to stop in the middle of a game, leaving it uncompleted. Usually what keeps me from completing a game is if I get a new game to play or I just get bored of it.

The Fatal Frame series never got boring! I already beat all the games in the Fatal Frame series; playing through Fatal Frame once, Fatal Frame II at least 4 times (and getting S rank or higher on all the missions), and Fatal Frame III at least twice. Currently still playing on Fatal Frame III 3rd playthrough.

I recommend playing these games in the dark with loud sound. It really brings out the horror that was meant to be experienced. I feel that it runs on par on the same horror level as the Silent Hills series.

Anyways, that's my experience with the Fatal Frame series. Been a Fatal Frame Fan ever since Fatal Frame II (My 1st Fatal Frame into the series).

[quote name='pete5883']I plan on watching Eureka Seven the anime someday, will playing the games beforehand benefit me? Any good background story in it?[/quote]

From what I've read, the games have little to no bearing on the anime. btw go watch it now, it's fantastic.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']]Now time to hunt down a used FF 2 for Xbox. . . [/QUOTE]

For anyone looking at FF2 on Xbox, Game Crazy has it on clearance new for $7.50. It wasn't a big seller (and most consumers aren't familiar with it), so your chances of finding it there are decent. My local store has at least one copy on hand.

Thanks, ordered a copy of DnD Tactics. I've been waiting for a price drop on that title. Just fyi for any others who are ordering, you have to select USPS First Class as the shipping method to get free shipping with the coupon code. It took me a bit before I figured that out.

$33.98 for a copy of FFII was too good to pass up considering the cost elsewhere. Here's to hoping that we get a similar offer for FFIII in the future!

I made the mistake of buying Fatal Frame 2 early and hoping that I can get 3 with the coupon. But now the coupon is only good for 2. So I had to reorder the two games and ask for a refund on the 2 that didn't come in yet. Hopefully they can keep that one that didn't ship yet and give me my money back.

why is every one so eager to buy this, if you find it in a gamestop, ffII is 19.99 plus discount and its not particulary rare, plus you do realize what gamequest does, they sell a bunch of "new copies" to gamestop, who sells them as used, so this game will become very common in store
in regards to the fifth print value, the problem is you cant distinguish the gqd copy from an original once its open, on books they at least tell you what print it is, thats why i dont care for this company, there goals are clearly not humanitarian only as they claim otherwise they would indicate there stuff are reprints

too bad they cant reprint my signed copy of DMC4

All the FF games had regional shipping quantities differences in distribution, much like Atlus games seem to. Some parts of the country got more than their fair share, so some GameStops has plenty of used copies, while other areas (central Virginia) got too few -- which usually sold out before any clearances hit (CC, etc.),.

[quote name='kira uzumaki'] , plus you do realize what gamequest does, they sell a bunch of "new copies" to gamestop, who sells them as used [/QUOTE]

link to proof???

[quote name='expane']link to proof???[/quote]

http://www.siliconera.com/2006/01/16/the-business-of-reprints/
But if Game Quest Direct really is controlling the flow of these imports by acting as a pseudo-publisher how are they appearing at Gamestop? Simple, Game Quest Direct is selling them directly to Gamestop. A representative spokesperson has said that they decided to unload a sizeable amount of inventory to Gamestop at a bulk price. However since Gamestop sells used copies of these games at a higher price they’ve taken the liberty of unsealing and selling the brand new game as a used copy. Game Quest Direct is happy to sell a bulk lot to any distributor or even eBay seller if the price is right. Even though they may be the masterminds behind many reprints gamers shouldn’t be surprised to see copies appear at other video game specialty stores

As for this, I'll pass. There are a bunch of FF2s on the Xbox at GS's around here that are about $18, so I'd rather save some money and get it on the Box. now if they do a sale on FF3, I'll be on that in a jiffy.

[quote name='opportunity777']FatFII 1st prints have a white strip across the top. GQD reprints do not have white strips. FatFIII never had one (as far as I know), so the GQD reprint should be same, as long as, they use the Y-Fold style sealing technique.[/quote]

Is the white strip you are talking about that sony seal? If so, after you take off the strip is it true you can't tell the difference?

On the GQD site on the Fatal Frame II for the xbox it has Director's Cut on it so is this differant from the ps2 game like anything new?

[quote name='gobz']Broke down and bought one after all... cut into my food money for this week (again)[/QUOTE]

We are cager, but hey.. food should always come before games.

[quote name='pete5883']I plan on watching Eureka Seven the anime someday, will playing the games beforehand benefit me? Any good background story in it?[/quote]
Other than actually turn you off from watching Eureka Seven at all, nope. Just stay away from them, they are just spinoffs most likely since I've seen pics + vids yet none of the characters from the anime show up.

[quote name='meerkatgamer']On the GQD site on the Fatal Frame II for the xbox it has Director's Cut on it so is this differant from the ps2 game like anything new?[/quote]
Xbox version has upgraded visuals & audio (only played the Xbox version so far but compareble to most 360 launch games :) ) + LOADS of extras. Though I don't see them appealing to people who just beat a game once & thats it. You know, post-game extras & stuff like that.

[quote name='maxgle']We are cager, but hey.. food should always come before games.[/quote]

im guna have to agree.

food > girls > games

Fatal Frame 2 isn't as rare on the xbox is it? It probably didn't sell so well so FF 3 was never released. Just like the Metal Gear series, MGS 2 substance sold like crap on there.

[quote name='CaoPi']Fatal Frame 2 isn't as rare on the xbox is it? It probably didn't sell so well so FF 3 was never released. Just like the Metal Gear series, MGS 2 substance sold like crap on there.[/quote]

the xbox ones aren't that rare. i was browsing through the 360 backwards compatibility list and saw both games on there, so i hunted both games down. they got them for $17.99 used at gamestop.

the xbox version of FF2 is the director's cut...so i guess it's better? anyone know the difference between the PS2 and xbox ones?

If I already ordered Fatal Frame 3, is it worth buying 2? I don't care much about collecting games, so is it actually better than the third?

bread's done
Back