Fav. Beer (namebrand)

Sam Jackson (Adams)
image019.jpg

I usualluy drink Miller Light, but lately, I've been turned onto Strongbow. Unfortunately, there is only one bar i know of that has it locally.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']Jesus, no one's said Juengling yet?![/QUOTE]

Its actually called Yuengling, and the factory was about 10 minutes from where I went to college so cases were $10 and I pretty much considered it water for 3 years. Its recently been showing up at a lot more bars around Jersey so I'm pretty happy about that.

Also, Brooklyn Lager is pretty damn fantastic if you are ever near NYC.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Since many people are mentioning Newcastle, I recommend that you try Sam Adams Winterfest (? Winter-something, anyway). I had a sample tonight at the bar, and the color/flavor is distinctly a nut brown ale, almost undetectably similar to Newcastle. What gave it away was that it had a incredibly clear honey aftertaste (and it was a touch higher in carbonation, but that's no surprise given Newcastle's texture). It was pretty interesting, and I think many of you Newcastle fans would like it - but it wasn't what I expect when I think of Wintertime beers.[/QUOTE]

Sam Adams Winter Lager, perhaps? If I find some, I'll give it a shot. I'm not much into beer, but Newcastle as been my favorite thus far. I wasn't too big into regular Sam Adams ,though.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']Jesus, no one's said Juengling yet?![/QUOTE]

LOL I'll drink it when i'm desperate, friend swears by the stuff

I just recently started drinking beer because i turned 21 a few months ago. But i quickly realized that i hate pretty much all domestic macrobrews.

I have been loving Grolsch and McEwans.

Although I normally hate Sam Adams, I've been really loving this spring seasonal variety called White Ale. It reminds me of Blue Moon.

[quote name='Maklershed']Although I normally hate Sam Adams, I've been really loving this spring seasonal variety called White Ale. It reminds me of Blue Moon.[/QUOTE]

I need to try Blue Moon, I've heard a lot about it.

My current fav is Warsteiner.

[quote name='CitizenB']I need to try Blue Moon, I've heard a lot about it.

My current fav is Warsteiner.[/quote]

It's good. It's a white Belgian with a citrusy hint to it. It goes down quicker than a $5 hooker.

[quote name='Maklershed']It's good. It's a white Belgian with a citrusy hint to it. It goes down quicker than a $5 hooker.[/QUOTE]

It's a Coors product with more cilantro than hops. It tastes about as Belgian as curried rice does.

Belgian-style ales. Good god, that's a five-week seminar just to get the basics down. I know fuck-all about Belgians (compared to what I wish I knew), but I can highly recommend any Chimay, Orval, or Grimbergen brewery product.

Which reminds me of my new favorite brewery: Montreal's Unibroue. Some of you have probably tried Maudite, but my personal favorite is Trois Pistoles. It has a high alcohol flavor to it (9% APV), a great, unique floral scent, more sweet than hoppy, and a fantastic sipping beer. It should take you about 45 minutes to have one 12-oz bottle; it's too flavorful to gulp in 15 minutes. Their beers, while unique, all share something in common, such that you can taste a beer and tell Unibroue made it. The best thing about them is that they brew special seasonal beers for Trader Joes, and they sell large (24+oz) bottles for $5-6.

I really want a drink tonight; between typing that, reading this thread, and reading a book about the Brooklyn Brewery, I hate being down with the flu. fuck!

[quote name='mykevermin']It's a Coors product with more cilantro than hops. It tastes about as Belgian as curried rice does.

Belgian-style ales. Good god, that's a five-week seminar just to get the basics down. I know fuck-all about Belgians (compared to what I wish I knew), but I can highly recommend any Chimay, Orval, or Grimbergen brewery product.

Which reminds me of my new favorite brewery: Montreal's Unibroue. Some of you have probably tried Maudite, but my personal favorite is Trois Pistoles. It has a high alcohol flavor to it (9% APV), a great, unique floral scent, more sweet than hoppy, and a fantastic sipping beer. It should take you about 45 minutes to have one 12-oz bottle; it's too flavorful to gulp in 15 minutes. Their beers, while unique, all share something in common, such that you can taste a beer and tell Unibroue made it. The best thing about them is that they brew special seasonal beers for Trader Joes, and they sell large (24+oz) bottles for $5-6.

I really want a drink tonight; between typing that, reading this thread, and reading a book about the Brooklyn Brewery, I hate being down with the flu. fuck![/quote]
No offense Myke, but I bet you $100 if someone blindfolded you and put a pint of Delerium Tremons and a pint of Blue Moon in front of you, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. And all this talk of Belgians has me wishing I had a crock of Corsendonk right now.

I've been into Carlsberg and Stella Artois a fair bit lately. I really, really liked Sam Adams' black lager, but I'm pretty much over domestic stuff, particularly the overly hopped ales and the stouts with no imagination, just too much of a cloying chocolate flavor.

I just like a more refined, easy drinking beer these days, and I really only seem to be able to get that from imports.

Myke -- in ref to a comment way back in this thread about Samuel Smith's stuff, I wholeheartedly agree, but with one crucial caveat: don't ever try to buy it from a non-specialty outlet unless you're absolutely certain the turnover is high. Grocery store Sam Smiths is almost guaranteed to be skunked. The high quality comes with too high of a price for the average consumer, myself included.

Their oatmeal and imperial stouts are a rare treat and a thing of absolute beauty. I've also really enjoyed the Taddy Lager and Nut Brown Ale. I had the opportunity to try several bottles of their Winter Welcome Ale over this past holiday season and thought it was one of the best seasonal beers I've ever had.

This is a toughie... favorite at the moment is probably Sam Adam's Summer Brew. I'm not a huge beer drinker though.

The Winter Welcome is phenomenal; for Winter beers this year, Rogue's Special Christmas Ale (I think that's the name) is great, but not "wintry." It tastes more like your run of the mill American Pale Ale, which isn't a bad thing at all...just not a Winter one. Anchor's Our Christmas Ale for 2006 was awful - the texture was thick, low carbonation, and flavors of nutmeg and holly (?) made it far too medicine in flavor. I couldn't finish one of them.

Truth be told, I don't know that I've ever had an "old" beer. At least, I've never tasted it or been aware of it. There's a nice liquor store a few blocks from me with hundreds of micro and imports, so you'd think it's inevitable that I do. I must not notice it. I can tell if wine's turned, but other than that, nada. Perhaps I'll know it when I have it.

When I brew, I buy from a small warehouse a few miles up the highway; they sell kits at the above liquor store, but they're those "Brewer's Best" kits. Canned malt extract is fine, I suppose, stored in a warehouse for months - hops and yeast, though? You gotta be outta your fuckin' mind, man. Especially at room temperature.

I'm enjoying Dead Guy Ale, Arrogant Bastard, and River Horse Ale as of late. I think I'm just going to start going to the liquor store and buying a 6 pack or so of random mix and match beers to see what I like.

I've grown to like Moosehead, Rickard's red, Corona lately. I never tend to go really cheap, but discount brands are pushing down prices. I like that.

[quote name='mykevermin']Truth be told, I don't know that I've ever had an "old" beer. At least, I've never tasted it or been aware of it. There's a nice liquor store a few blocks from me with hundreds of micro and imports, so you'd think it's inevitable that I do. I must not notice it. I can tell if wine's turned, but other than that, nada. Perhaps I'll know it when I have it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you'll know it alright. It's like somebody punched a rotten egg into your face. Samuel Smith's has a triple whammy against it -- it's expensive, it's "weird" for the average Joe Six-Pack, and it's in clear glass bottles in open four-pack containers, which massively increases the chance of being light struck, particularly with the lighter beers.

I've also had badly skunked Newcastle Brown Ale, Corona (it always seems like there's at least one in the six-pack that's skunked to hell and back), and a few rarer high end beers like Hobgoblin and the other varieties from that brewer.

Before I discovered Total Wine, I actually had such a run of bad luck with imports and micro brews that I said "fuck it" and switched over to Miller Light, Michelob, Steel Reserve, and Mickey's almost exclusively.

If you've got a Total Wine nearby, then fortune has truly smiled upon you. Even the oddest, most expensive beers get turned over quickly from that place. The volume they do is ridiculous. I've been there on Friday evenings and watched as shelves got absolutely decimated. It's just a hard workin', hard drinkin' town I guess. :)

[quote name='mykevermin']C'mon over, hombre. I can smell Blue Moon 25 feet away. I'm not exaggerating.[/quote]

I'd love to. But then I might have to admit I have a problem if I travel all that distance to drink with someone. :lol:

Anything by Samuel Smith
Carib with lime on a hot summer day
Old Speckled Hen
Boddingtons
Blue Moon on draft with an orange wedge
Three Philosophers

Too many to list...

All time: Oaken Barrel Brewing Company's Razz-Wheat, but I've never seen that outside of Indianapolis. Actually, I've never seen that in a store other than their resturant.

Otherwise: Pabst, if only for the look on everyone else's face that says "why in the hell are you drinking pabst?"

Sierre Nevada pale ale - mass produced

Less produced
3 Floyds - Alpha king pale ale (the best ale eva)
dogfishhead - 60 min IPA
dogfishhead - immortale (I only drink this warm and slowly - very potent)
dogfishhead - 120 min IPA (one bottle of this is easily equalt to drinking a regular six pack. best when aged for a year or 2 sold by the bottle by me at $10 a piece)
Magic hat - Blind Faith (I only drink this icy cold in a frozen mug - great in
summertime )
Smuttynose IPA - very very tasty - excellent with a steak

I am still in a stage (3 or 4 years) or pretty much only drinking American Microbrews. I will drink imports, but really enjoy our countries brews.

One of my first favorites was Blackened Voodoo by the Dixie Brewing Company. I don't know if it's still around cause the last time I bought it, it tasted very old and can't find it anymore. It was a perfect beer to enjoy with cajun food.

Other favorites are any Abita beers, Deadguy Ale, and Old Rasputin.

For a major brewer I really enjoy Sam Adams various products. Their Summer wheat ale is awesome. Wheat Ales Rule!

[quote name='jbuck138']One of my first favorites was Blackened Voodoo by the Dixie Brewing Company. I don't know if it's still around cause the last time I bought it, it tasted very old and can't find it anymore. It was a perfect beer to enjoy with cajun food.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Dixie is still around; Katrina may have caused a long-term disruption in their distribution/brewing, but since then they do exist, as they've made a special beer, with a proceed of sales going to hurricane relief and/or renovation efforts in New Orleans.

[quote name='snotknocker']Sierre Nevada pale ale - mass produced

Less produced
3 Floyds - Alpha king pale ale (the best ale eva)
dogfishhead - 60 min IPA
dogfishhead - immortale (I only drink this warm and slowly - very potent)
dogfishhead - 120 min IPA (one bottle of this is easily equalt to drinking a regular six pack. best when aged for a year or 2 sold by the bottle by me at $10 a piece)
Magic hat - Blind Faith (I only drink this icy cold in a frozen mug - great in
summertime )
Smuttynose IPA - very very tasty - excellent with a steak[/QUOTE]

I passed up a chance to try Alpha King on draft last Monday, when I was in Chicago to see The Pogues (I had to be passe and drink Guinness pints instead). ratebeer.com has Three Floyd's IPA rated as the best of its kind on their site, so I have little doubt they're phenomenal. Strange that, of all the "exotic" locations beers can be made, Muncie, Indiana tops them all.

Given your list of top-notch IPA, you're clearly a well-versed hophead. I'll have to hunt down Smuttynose someday. In the meantime, while I'm sure you've tried it, Stone Brewing's Ruination Ale is right up your alley.

[quote name='jlseal']

Otherwise: Pabst, if only for the look on everyone else's face that says "why in the hell are you drinking pabst?"[/QUOTE]

I normally drink Rolling Rock but I agree, the "Pabst look" is awesome.

My favorite beer of the moment is my avatar. Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock. I had it about a month ago at a local German beer garden on a friend's (homebrewer, BTW) advice and I loved it. Now I am going nutty trying all kinds of German bocks and dopplebocks. This weekend I picked up Aventinus, Ayinger Celebrator, Spaten Optimator and Einbecker Ur-Bock.

I'm also trying to track down Sam Adam's Double Bock since January - March is when they typically put it out, but I can't find it anywhere.

Christian Moerlein is a classic Cincinnati beer (though contract brewed in Boston now, I think). They have a very very good double bock.

In addition, being a German town, we have several local breweries, including the Barrelhouse, who make and distribute bocks locally. In addition, I've mentioned that the only American Hofbrauhaus is a few blocks from my home: they brew a bock on site called the Adulterator. It's fucking phenomenal. Jealous yet? ;)

I've not tried Weltenburger; bocks are hard to come by outside of this time of year, so I may have to look soon.

[quote name='mykevermin']Christian Moerlein is a classic Cincinnati beer (though contract brewed in Boston now, I think). They have a very very good double bock.

In addition, being a German town, we have several local breweries, including the Barrelhouse, who make and distribute bocks locally. In addition, I've mentioned that the only American Hofbrauhaus is a few blocks from my home: they brew a bock on site called the Adulterator. It's fucking phenomenal. Jealous yet? ;)

I've not tried Weltenburger; bocks are hard to come by outside of this time of year, so I may have to look soon.[/quote]

Jealous? Yes. The Bier Garden is run by German immigrants so besides having a massive beer menu from all over the world, they have a ton of German beers on tap (Aventinus, Optimator, and Celebrator off the top of my head).

You mentioned Unibroue Trois Pistoles. They had that on draft the last time I was there. I'll need to check that out. The only Unibroue beer I have had is Fin Du Monde, which was great.

bread's done
Back