Id= Wolfenstein 3d - the grandpappy of fps games

Other Id games:
Doom
Doom II
Doom III

Quake
Quake II
Quake III

They also did the Hexen & Heretic games, but I think that Raven Soft had more to do with the actual game designs...

Saying you like EA is like saying you like videogames, since they own like 100 developement teams. But anyway I'm pretty down with EA Big, Criterion, Irrational, Monolith, and Triumph.

Whoops, Irrational Austrailia is the ones that do the Freedom Force series (the superhero one not the other one) so scratch them off the list :(

Rockstar really isn't American, with the exception of Rockstar San Diego and NY, they're all foriegn/

Ubisoft is French, as is Atari (Infogrames), but Atari does a lot of American development.

As for my favorite

US Developer: Epic Games
US Publisher: EA

North American Developer: EA Burnaby

UK Developer: Psygnosis/SCEE London
Rest of Europe: Croteam
European Publisher: Codemasters

Asian Developer: Konami KCET

[quote name='Xevious']I thought Psygnosis went out of business? Maybe my information was wrong..[/quote]

They're now SCEE London, they got bought up by Sony.....

EDIT: Proper name is Studio Liverpool......

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Is Nintendo of America an answer? :whistle2:D[/quote]

As a matter of fact, Nintendo is an American developer through NST (Nintendo Software Technologies), who developed Ridge Racer 64, Wave Race Blue Storm and 1080 Avalanche. It was prety much established for the would-be developers who graduated from Nintendo-funded Digipen College.

Correct me if they're foreign (I still can't believe no one said this) but my favorite American Gaming Company is BLIZZARD.
Ever since I got my new computer I've been picking up every Blizzard game I could find, and loving them all

[quote name='King Bahamut']Hmm tough one....the good game developers aren't in North America...[/quote]

Huh? Are you one of those people who play only Japanese games (perhaps a die-hard Square and/or dating sim fan?) and diss American games without ever having bothered to play most of them? Get off it, good games come from all over.

It's funny, a lot of the top japanese makers are now saying that American games are better, as American developers are more creative.

When you think about it, aren't most Japanese games either a bit too rediculous to be called creative (Ribbit King anyone?).

Of course there are the great japanese studios, but an ass load of smaller makers there are just making dating sims and wierd RPGs, not changing the industry like many small american companies do

Almost all of the games that I really like have come from Japan. I think Naughty Dog is a North American developer though. If they are, they're my favorite from NA.

[quote name='smalien1']Oh yeah, I forgot Rare, the maker of the three best n64 games, (Try to geuss which I'm talking about)[/quote]

Not to burst your bubble, but Rare is British.....

[quote name='meteors']The Collective (the GOOD Xbox Buffy game, Indiana Jones, etc.) because I work there ;-)[/QUOTE]

Hey, Kudos to The Collective! I'm at the point where I have more games than time to play them all, and have tons of games sitting around un-played. Both BTVS and Indiana Jones had me involved enough that I played all the way thru. Solid games, they both seemed quiet hype-wise, but I thought Indiana Jones was an especially good adaptation. I really liked the way that the game led-off at the end, so that the story seems to blend right in with one of the movies. (Don't want to spoil any endings, so I won't get more specific.)

Keep up the good work, what else do you have in the pipeline?

Definately Id. If Interplay and Black Isles were still around they'd be my number one choice. Some honorable mentions include Firaxis, Maxis, and Bullfrog (though I'm not sure if they're around anymore either).

[quote name='smalien1']Oh yeah, I forgot Rare, the maker of the three best n64 games, (Try to geuss which I'm talking about)[/QUOTE]

Blizzard is my choice. I owe my gaming addiction to Warcraft I.

Rare is actually British.... but they still rock - And I guess GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Conker?

(But if those are correct you ignore both Banjos, which were quite good, Jet Force Gemini, which rocked, and Blast Corps, which was funny if not a bit flawed.)

Silicon Knights are quite awesome too. (Eternal Darkness, MGS Twin Snakes)

Bullfrog was amazing in its day. Syndicate anyone?

aww man, old old thread... heh, i was such a noob back then

but i still gotta say blizzard, I'm picking up WoW eventually (as in: when i get money)

Blizzard, Bioware, Activision, Temco are pretty good. I wish I can say GT interactive but they still haven't release Duke Nukem Forever.

[quote name='smalien1']oonce again changing my mind, based on upcoming releases I choose American McGee, they have CIty of the Dead, scrapland and Oz[/QUOTE]

No good; American McGee (the person; yes that's REALLY his name) left the US to become Creative Director at Enlight. Both the man and the company are now based out of HongKong.

[quote name='Xevious']Blizzard, Bioware, Activision, Temco are pretty good. I wish I can say GT interactive but they still haven't release Duke Nukem Forever.[/QUOTE]Actually, Bioware is Canadian, and Tecmo is Japanese...and GT interactive was eaten by Atari (then Infogrames) 5 years ago...I think you mean 3D Realms, as the DNF developer. No biggie. :)

Oh, and psiufoxx2:
[quote name='psiufoxx2']Silicon Knights are quite awesome too. (Eternal Darkness, MGS Twin Snakes)[/quote]Actually, Silicon Knights is also Canadian, so if we're talking about America the country and not America the continent, then I guess they don't count. Oh, well.

As for my favorites...
If we're talking about America the country, then I guess I'll say it probably used to be Lucasarts...but these days, I just don't know. It's getting hard these days.

If we're counting American-based localization companies WITHOUT Japanese parent companies...then I sure do love Mastiff and Working Designs. Natsume and Atlus rock, too, but they have Japanese parents, of course.

I tell ya what, Midway has been impressing the hell out of me lately. Awesome resurrections of Gauntlet, Spyhunter, Defender, Rush, Area 51, and others (new Smash TV rumor has me drooling) earn kudos from me, and having the incite to go out on a limb and localize an amazing Japanese game (that would surely have been overlooked, otherwise) like Shadow Hearts: Covenant also earn tons of respect. Having Unreal in their corner is also going to be a huge asset. Unreal Engine 3 is gonna be huge in the coming years. Plus, their pre-order bonuses kick ass! Free games! It doesn't get much better than that.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I tell ya what, Midway has been impressing the hell out of me lately. Awesome resurrections of Gauntlet, Spyhunter, Defender, Rush, Area 51, and others (new Smash TV rumor has me drooling) earn kudos from me, and having the incite to go out on a limb and localize an amazing Japanese game (that would surely have been overlooked, otherwise) like Shadow Hearts: Covenant also earn tons of respect. Having Unreal in their corner is also going to be a huge asset. Unreal Engine 3 is gonna be huge in the coming years. Plus, their pre-order bonuses kick ass! Free games! It doesn't get much better than that.[/QUOTE]

I love Midway but they took a huge step back with Narc and Spyhunter. They did well with the Suffering and Psi-Ops. I feel though that they are not a premier game company for some reason. They never came up with an ass-kicking game that floors you (like a Halo or a GTA or even Diablo). Mortal Kombat remains their best loved franchise for now. Still, they need more to be the best.

bread's done
Back