Favorite arcade game never released for a console?

DrMunkee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
We all know that arcades have slowly died off in the US, leaving us only our memories, MAME, and a shitty wikipedia article of some of our favorite games.

Two games that have held a special place in my gaming heart are "The Lost World : Jurassic Park" and "Carnevil". Both were top notch lightgun games, and both never saw a home release. (And Carnevil will probably never see a console release, with Midway being dead and all ). I would have also liked to see a perfect port of "The House of the Dead". Hell, they still need to release "The House of the Dead 4".

X-men (6 player). Why on earth this has yet to hit XBLA with 4 player support is beyond me. That, or The Simpsons Arcade game. I'd pay dearly for those.

Great topic! I always enjoyed Police 911. Konami was going to release it for the PS2, but it never came to be (maybe now that motion controllers are the current fad though...). Many great games simply get mangled in their jump to home consoles, either through bad programing/porting, home hardware being underpowered, or the lack of the arcade controls (special controllers, sit down cabinets, the overall experience). I could list a couple of dozen for sure.

Oh yeah! Not to mention that a few minutes of great fun in an arcade doesn't always equate to a game that is worth sitting down with at home. Some great arcade games just feel shallow, or show their shallowness, if played for too long at one sitting at home.

Aliens or Aliens vs Predator. Carnevil maybe, a few others but the brains not thinking. Of course I just remember how fun these were as a kid, but as I've grown I would probably skip on buying them. I have a buddy who owns the X-Men six player arcade, it was his X-Mas gift two years ago, it was fun for about an hour. Sometimes you just can't recreate the magic.

Wing War is up there for me. I kept waiting and waiting for a 32x or a Saturn port to pop up but it never happened. Too bad for Sega, I would've bought whatever console necessary to play it ASAP. Granted, I eventually got both systems but still, it could've happened sooner.

[quote name='integralsmatic']always wanted to see
X-Men Arcade
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Combattribes
Sengoku 3[/QUOTE]

Sengoku 3 got an AES release back when it was new but I don't know if it has exploded in price.
Combatribes just came out on VC but I have no idea how close it comes to the arcade version.

I thought I was the only one who remembered Caddys & Dinos! I still bust that out once in a blue moon on my MAME cabinet.

[quote name='crowbb']X-Men Arcade and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for me.[/QUOTE]

Anyone remember The Grid? It was a 3rd person shooter with a game show backdrop (similar to Smash TV). You run, you kill, you get points that can unlock new characters like Scorpion and Sub-Zero. Was cool the first and only time I played it back around 2001 or 2. Was supposed to get a Dreamcast port until the system was killed off.

[quote name='Halo05']Sengoku 3 got an AES release back when it was new but I don't know if it has exploded in price.[/QUOTE]

seen a couple go in the $150 range, cheaper to buy the MVS

"Crazy Climber" 1 and 2. Yeah, it was released in Japan, but never in the U.S.

Oh, and "Nam '75" (SNK). And "TNK III" (SNK). And "Crime Fighters" (Konami); great music.

And "Punch Mania: Fist Of The North Star". C'mon, tell me they couldnt release it on the Wii WITHOUT the giant pads.

[quote name='Illustr8r']"Crazy Climber" 1 and 2. Yeah, it was released in Japan, but never in the U.S.

Oh, and "Nam '75" (SNK). And "TNK III" (SNK). And "Crime Fighters" (Konami); great music.

And "Punch Mania: Fist Of The North Star". C'mon, tell me they couldnt release it on the Wii WITHOUT the giant pads.[/QUOTE]

Nam 1975 got a cart release

[quote name='Illustr8r']"Crazy Climber" 1 and 2. Yeah, it was released in Japan, but never in the U.S.

And "Punch Mania: Fist Of The North Star". C'mon, tell me they couldnt release it on the Wii WITHOUT the giant pads.[/QUOTE]

"Crazy Climber" was released for the Atari 2600 in very limited numbers; a very rare and expensive 2600 cartridge. That being said, I would love to see a modern release taking advantage of the dual sticks the controllers have today.

[quote name='Mafia']Anyone remember The Grid? It was a 3rd person shooter with a game show backdrop (similar to Smash TV). You run, you kill, you get points that can unlock new characters like Scorpion and Sub-Zero. Was cool the first and only time I played it back around 2001 or 2. Was supposed to get a Dreamcast port until the system was killed off.[/QUOTE]

I remember that game, me and my friends loved playing against each other very fun for its time. However it probably wouldn't be as fun today, with all the great 3rd person shooters that have come out over the years.

X-Men, Simpsons, Aliens vs Predator, WWF WrestleFest/SuperStars

Out of those I'd like to see X-Men the most. 6 player online would be the greatest.

[quote name='mtxbass1']X-men (6 player). Why on earth this has yet to hit XBLA with 4 player support is beyond me. That, or The Simpsons Arcade game. I'd pay dearly for those.[/QUOTE]

Seconded! I loved that game.
X-Men would be amazing with 4 or 6 player multiplayer.

Killer Instinct 2! I would love this one as well. I figure Nintendo has let it settle in the grave for good though.

Moon Patrol
Rad Mobile (there was a Japanese Sega Saturn release called "Gale Racer" but as far as I know, no U.S. release. plus the word is that it was a very buggy and unpolished port.)
L.A. Machineguns

Last edited by a moderator:
Dance Freaks aka Dance Maniax

One day I hope to own a cabinet of this.

Someone also mentioned Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters (or whatever it is called), which would be another nice one to have.

[quote name='luvmysegadc']Moon Patrol
Rad Mobile (there was a Japanese Sega Saturn release called "Gale Racer" but as far as I know, no U.S. release. plus the word is that it was a very buggy and unpolished port.)
L.A. Machineguns[/QUOTE]

L.A. Machineguns was awesome.

I had no idea that Moon Patrol never got a console release. I mean, really?! I remember seeing that game everywhere when I was little.

[quote name='Halo05']I had no idea that Moon Patrol never got a console release. I mean, really?! I remember seeing that game everywhere when I was little.[/QUOTE]

because it got released on every platform you could think of in the 80's except for the NES and Master System. The Apple II and Atari 5200 had the best ports, at least IMO

Ah. I never saw it outside of the arcade.

We never got good home ports of X-men - Children of the Atom or Marvel Superheroes. I kept hoping and praying for a Japanese Saturn compilation of both games that used the 4 meg RAM cart but that dream never came true.

The-Lost-World:-Jurassic-Park-Arcade-EUR.JPG

lostworldb.jpg

Simpsons (like other have said), and an obscure puzzle game called Battle Balls they used to have at a Red Robin up here. Nothin' special, but I liked it a lot and was very sad when they got rid of the cabinet (not surprised, though- by the time they got rid of it, the joystick has half-busted and the screen color was distorted... it's VERY hard to play a color-matching puzzler when the colors keep changing!)

X-men and Simpsons I loved!
Dungeons and Dragons(not sure if this one was ever released on a console)
Jurassic Park The Lost World
Carnevil was a great light gun shooter!
A proper Killer Instinct
Caddys and Dinos
HOTD 4
Star Wars Trilogy

t-mek was fun

star blade alpha was amazing but there really is no way to do that at home 6-8 chairs with the game projected onto the 25'x18' screen. Was a blast to play at the arcade. or was it starblade delta. hmmm

hmmm might have been Starblade : Operation Blue Planet from the looks of this youtube video except for that there were 6-8 guns firing at the screen all at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyqk4yuk0w8

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Dungeons and Dragons(not sure if this one was ever released on a console)
[/QUOTE]

Japanese Saturn, has both side-scrollers on 2 discs in one package. Expensive if you want a complete copy but discs only copy is more manageable (about $50). Great ports too, wish I kept my copy

Any of these on XBLA & PSN would be fantastic.

X-Men (Loved it!)
Simpsons
WWF WrestleFest/SuperStars (never happen due to most of the roster being dead/gone from WWE)
Star War Trilogy Arcade (it was short, but I loved it so)
D&D Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara (Had the Saturn version, but I'd like it in english and not cost an arm and leg. I'd love an XBLA release with 4 player.)

I know I'm forgetting a lot, but a few that come to mind are Star Wars Trilogy, T-Mek, the Starblade sequel, and most especially, After Burner Climax (though apparently, that might finally be getting a home release, as it has apparently received age ratings for a console version).

I'll repeat the two obvious ones - Wrestlefest & X-Men arcade. I also wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of Vs. Karate Champ...the ports we got back then for the NES, et al didn't really do it justice due to the limited control and weak sound. Now that controllers have 2 analog sticks it could be faithfully recreated. While it did suck when MS was only releasing the 400 point 80's arcade ports on XBLA, at this point it seems like they've stopped completely, which isn't good either.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']After Burner Climax (though apparently, that might finally be getting a home release, as it has apparently received age ratings for a console version).[/QUOTE]

one of these day's, I will own a R360 cabinet

damn haven't heard of The Grid in awile. We used to play the hell out of that back when I was in Omaha, even put together a tournament for it. Great arcade FPS

That and a proper port of Spawn (from Capcom) would be ace as XBLA

I totally forgot about the Star Wars Trilogy arcade.

I would always get to the last light saber duel with Vadar and would always screw up one of the actions.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Heh, Climax is only a couple years old, so it wasn't on the R360[/QUOTE]

I know it wasn't in the R360, you mentioning After Burner in general made me remember how much fun I had the couple of times I played G-Loc even if it cost I want to say $5 a play in 90. That shit kicked so much ass at the age of 8.

Which reminds me, anyone remember the space shuttle game that had gyroscope cabinet? Remember watching that for a good hour at Disney World and being pissed off because I wasn't big enough to play it (I was 6 or 7, before my first big growth spurt)

[quote name='Halo05']Ah. I never saw it outside of the arcade.

We never got good home ports of X-men - Children of the Atom or Marvel Superheroes. I kept hoping and praying for a Japanese Saturn compilation of both games that used the 4 meg RAM cart but that dream never came true.[/QUOTE]

I thought the U.S. Saturn version of Xmen: Children of the Atom was great as is. But I never got to play it in the arcades, so I'll take your word for it.

[youtube]MToyA9wWVWo[/youtube]

[quote name='fart_bubble']because it got released on every platform you could think of in the 80's except for the NES and Master System. The Apple II and Atari 5200 had the best ports, at least IMO[/QUOTE]

OIC. I was a Master System kid while friends had NES and Atari 5200. I still don't remember that one coming out either.

But you did just remind me of a game that I was dying to play in the arcades and never found one that carried it: Planet Harriers. It would have been great if the Dreamcast was around long enough to port this over.

[youtube]HXVbaWJbSKM[/youtube]

Shit, forgot about Planet Harriers. That's another one. I believe there was actually a Dreamcast version in development, at one point, but it died for obvious reasons.

Also, another big one just came to mind: SCUD Race/Sega Super GT. I can't believe I forgot that one.

Also, one game that's actually new out in arcades that I pray to god gets some sort of home release is H2Overdrive. It is, quite literally, the sequel to Hydro Thunder (a lot of staff from Hydro Thunder worked on this game), and it looks abso-fucking-lutely amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbeJsqVpyvkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdIA_HLWO-U

bread's done
Back