Favorite endgames of all time

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I was thinking the other day that my two favorite games this year have been Bioshock and Tomb Raider: Anniversary and they both had one unfortunate thing in common; their final levels and endings were in my opinion, the weakest parts of those games. This was true of possibly my favorite game of all time, Okami, as well, with it's anti-climactic final boss fight (though the actual ending cutscene was satisfying). So I started to think, what videogames have had really great endgames. My definition of an "endgame" is basically the last hour or so of gameplay + final cutscene. I'd like to focus more on the gameplay aspect though. Games where the ending was actually so good that it made you respect the rest of the game more. I'd also like to keep this thread as spoilerless as possible, so if you're going to discuss sensitive plot points, please use spoiler tags. thanks.

So here's a few that came to mind for me, and of course, I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

My favorite videogame endgames (in no particular order)

-Half-Life 2. This one is a controversial one that people will either love or hate. The game does end on a cliffhanger, but what's more interesting, the final level in Half-Life 2 is actually the easiest level in the entire game... on purpose. By defying conventional game logic that a game must increase in difficulty as it goes, Valve instead opted to give the game a real sense of unstoppable power in this game's closing sequence. But what really made the ending special was the absolutely astonishing art direction and setting. The interactive cutscenes leading up to the games finale were some of the most awe-inspiring moments I've seen in all my years gaming. Truth be told, I wasn't a huge fan of the game on the whole. I liked it quite a bit, but felt it was very much overrated. But the end really did it for me, and then I immediately wanted to play Episode 1. Kudos Valve. Kudos.

-Shadow of the Colossus. The closest I've ever come to crying from a videogame. The epic journey to the final boss, the devastating cutscene before you reach his lair, the actual boss itself with what I considered to be the hardest puzzle in the game, followed by a mesmerizing and completely unconventional finale. The entire game was brilliant, but it's finale was truly extraordinary and somehow managed to trump even the rest of the game's magnificence.

-Ico. From the last save point on Ico was an extremely engaging experience as you struggled to reunite with Yorda. Much like Half-Life 2, Ico allows you to slaughter several enemies whilst being invincible in an absolutely mesmerizing sequence that could arguably an interactive cutscene (as you can't die in it). Sad, haunting, beautiful, and very, very mysterious Ico knew how to make an amazing game and make it even better.

-Grim Fandango. While the whole game was brilliant, the finale really took the cake. The lonely greenhouse on a clear, stary night was one of my all-time favorite visuals in a game. Sal's last scene was nothing short of masterful, as was the final shot. I love Tim Schafer with a passion, and dearly hope neither he nor anyone else makes a sequel or prequel to this game, as it found such a perfect note to end on. Truly a work of art.

-Killer 7. Killer 7 has the distinction of being the only game I can think of that has boss fights, but doesn't end with one. This is probably for the better as Killer 7's boss fights weren't all that good (one could argue that of the gameplay in general). I wasn't sure what I thought of the game on the whole, but the final sequence, an extended interactive custscene through an abandoned hotel, was absolutely fascinating and made me want to replay the entire game again even though I wasn't sure that I liked it. Sadly, I never did make it that far (the gameplay is way too repetitive), but that fact that it made me want to was pretty amazing. Killer 7 was all over the map in terms of both story and gameplay, but it got one thing right; it went out on a high note.

-Silent Hill 2. I'm one of the few people who didn't really care for the Silent Hill games (at least 2 and 3, the only ones I played). I found the gameplay boring and tedious, the aesthetics bland and repetitive, and the dialogue hammy. But Silent Hill 2's final level (an abandoned hotel, much like Killer 7) was a stunner. It's sense of dreary isolation as you roamed the charred remains of the place looking for... well, i don't want to give it all away, but it was easily my favorite part of what I considered to be an otherwise mediocre game.

-Sly 3: honor Among Thieves. I loved the Sly games, but I felt that the third one was easily the weak link. Most of the story was a bit bland and plodding, but it really picked up in the end. Sharp dialogue that played against the conventions of the genre, great characters, and an ending so pitch-perfect that it managed to resolve the star-crossed love affair between a thief and a cop in a way that stayed completely true to the characters without being a cop out. I was hoping for a Sly 4, but this no longer matters as Sly knew how to go out in style!

Runner-up:

-Metal Gear Solid 3: I actually didn't like the ending cutscene to this game. It went on way too long and contained at least one plot twist too many. But the reason that I'm including it is because the final boss battle was amazing. And not just in gameplay terms (though it was amazing in that regard too), but the setting and art direction surrounding it was masterful and among the most epic boss battles I've ever played. This makes me sad MGS4 won't be on the 360.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. So what are some of your fave end sequences?

Paper Mario: TTYD. Final boss is crazy, especially when it's revealed that
you can't damage Peach until you survive a set number of rounds
. The ending sequence was also a really good one.

I had a pretty good time with the final levels of Jak 3. Ending was awesome too. I felt I very much so got my money's worth.

Good little surprise at the end.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']That thread was focused more on the actual ending, i.e. final cutscene. I wanted one focused more on final gameplay sequences (but would also include final cutscenes naturally). I figured it was a big enough difference to warrant its own thread.[/QUOTE]

not to sounds like an ass cuz I'm not trying to... I just can't think of any other analogy:

This is like the choice between natural vs circumsized?

Metal Gear Solid 3. I loved the final boss fight. Beautifully set, fun to play, and not over-the-top. I'm pretty bad at remembering stuff, but that one definitely sticks out for me.

In the opposite spectrum, a game I thought was great but had a craptacular last hour was Psychonauts. I was loving that game SO MUCH until the frustrating and boring meat circus at the end. UGH.

I felt that Sly 3 had the worst ending ever. The ending came out of nowhere and I was like " Are you kidding, that is how this game ends?"

Final Fantasy VI. Kefka really went off the deep end.
Final Fantasy VII wasnt bad either.
Final Fantasy IV was also tight (damn Im on a trend)
Lunar 1 & 2 both consoles, the reason why Ghalleon is the most underrated video game character ever!
Dragon Warrior IV - Necrosaro really came into his own at the end.
Ninja Gaiden 1 (Nes) - World 5 sucked but because of the difficulty and music, I have come to respect it over the year
Super Metroid (SNES) - Last 20 minutes is awsome
VS series - Apocolapse and Onslaught were great to fight and the ending blurbs were pretty decent
............many more too numerous to name but these are the some of the best

Banjo-Kazooie. Final showdown with the witch and those damn little jinjos you've been helping the whole time finally do something.

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. After facing waves of Baal's minions, you finally confront the lord of destruction himself. If you manage to beat him you are treated to one of the most awesome cutscenes of its time.

Legend of Zelda: OoT. So much awesome here. You make it up one of the best dungeons in any game to face off with Ganondorf. Once you beat him, though the real "awesome" begins. Fighting the massive pig creature feels very epic.

Theres 3 of my favorites.

definitly zelda: Ocarina of Time

The final boss fight is fucking epic. Your just beat ganondorf and you are running with zelda out of his evil castle as it falls around you. You finally make it out thinking its over but then, out of the rubble comes a giant boom. You push zelda behind you and head over sword in hand to find the source of the noise! then..Boom ganondorf is back but transforms into ganon! enclosed in a circle of fire your master sword is flung outside with zelda. Its you and him in this circle of evil. It gets dark and theres lightning booming all over the sky. Your faithful fairy navi who couldnt help you in your previous battle with ganondorf defies the wave of evil this time stating 'theres no way hes going to hold me back again. This time we fight together!" Holy Moly EPIC. The music is even more epic. Epic EPIC EPICCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as you fight him zelda screams in horror everytime you get hurt. When you hurt ganon enough he falls to his knees and BOOM out of nowhere a beam of light hits ganon and zelda comes in 'Im using all of my power to hold the evil king in place, use the master sword and deliver the final blow!! EPIC! Zelda almost faints using up the last of her power. The master sword starts to glow and you know what to do! BOOM you slice his head up and then stick it straight into his head. Ganon gets up hurt and angry but then BOOOM zelda calls forth the sages they open the sealed door and banish the evil king into darkness. Greatest game of all time.

F*CK i gotta go play oot now. later.

edit:found a vid. EPIICCCCC
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmr_PCoqzA[/MEDIA]

Metal Gear Solid. The final battle atop the Metal Gear with the final boss heightens an already-excitement filled scene. And afterwards, on the way out... and just how it ended with the epilogue on the codec of sorts, with a panned shot of the artic was very moving for me.

I also really enjoyed Star Fox 64's endgame. The music was epic and the escape from Venom is always a fun ride.

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals was quite a ride, too.

Ace Combat 4
You win the last battle of the war, and Yellow 13 challenges you to a fight. He knows his country lost, but he challenges you to prove who is the greatest pilot. Was one of the few times I felt bad defeating an enemy. Then the whole last level with the meteors raining down, and the choir singing. Epic.

Metal Gear Solid 3
Been mentioned already.

Fatal Frame 2
I won't say much because of spoilers, but wow. Such a great, depressing ending sequence.

I loved the ending to the original Halo. It wasn't all that creative, having a timed explosion and all, but driving that Warthog through narrow passage ways to get out in time, all the while, your enemies are torn between fleeing for their lives and killing you. It's still a lot of fun to play.

That endgame is made even better by the uber disappointing "bullet sponge" boss at the end of Halo 2. I certainly hope that Halo 3 capturs more of the original's flavor than its sequel.

Freedom Fighters is one of those "huh, it's over?" games.
You'd expect it to end with you killing the spy who was a russian general. But no, it ends with you saving the girl and putting up 4 flags. Then the final cutscene is a mushy lovefest with the russians supposedly pulling out of New York.
Had to be the worst end levels and ending I've played this year. Makes me wish EA would get IO to develop a second game, so it would have a proper ending.

I just beat Suikoden II yesterday, the end game was hella tite!

u set up a suicide mission to weaken enemy forces, but the dood actually ends up not dying (becoz one of your other doods realizes what he is gonna do and saves him). Then you bumrush the enemy castle only to realize the king ran away! you can end the game rite there, or you can chase down the king all alone and kick his ass!!

bread's done
Back