Favorite "Forgotten" GB Titles?

SadieDee

CAGiversary!
What are your favorite "forgotten" titles for the GB/C? Personally, I never had any GB games until I got the GBA so I have some of the more popular titles, but not many of the good obscure ones. I'd like to get more, so I would like your opinions.

Right now, I'm looking for a good platformer (a la Super Mario Land 2). I'd like one that has a game save, but will consider ones that just use passwords and the like too. Thanks!

You might want to give Gargoyle's Quest a try. The actual platforming is a little slow moving compared to a Mario game, and there's an RPG overworld built in, but overall it's an excellent game. It's really too bad the series died on the SNES.

While not a platformer, I enjoyed the Sword of Hope games on the old Gameboy. They're about as old school RPG as you can get on the GB.

[quote name='xenoman80']i think it was called elevator action[/quote]

I didn't know they made one on Gameboy. It's a great series.

[quote name='SadieDee']What are your favorite "forgotten" titles for the GB/C? Personally, I never had any GB games until I got the GBA so I have some of the more popular titles, but not many of the good obscure ones. I'd like to get more, so I would like your opinions.

Right now, I'm looking for a good platformer (a la Super Mario Land 2). I'd like one that has a game save, but will consider ones that just use passwords and the like too. Thanks![/quote]

Same thing with me pretty much, I had an original style gameboy, but I hardly played it, I think I had 2 games, and a spell check cart. Once I got my GBA though I started to go back through the library and get games. Here are my favorites so far:

Lemmings
Zelda GBC games
Dragon Warrior GBC games
Metal Gear Solid
Crystallis
Mario Tennis
Kirby Tilt N Tumble (only works with GBC, or regular GBA)
Revelations: The Demon Slayer
Bust A Move Millenium

Also, this isn't a GBC game (although I think they did make some bubble bobble games for the gbc) it is IMO an overlooked GBA game, "Bubble Bobble Old and New"

I realize none of these are platformers and most aren't obscure, but they help you anyways.

[quote name='Mafia']You might want to give Gargoyle's Quest a try. The actual platforming is a little slow moving compared to a Mario game, and there's an RPG overworld built in, but overall it's an excellent game. It's really too bad the series died on the SNES.[/quote]

Great Great Game.

[quote name='Mafia']You might want to give Gargoyle's Quest a try. The actual platforming is a little slow moving compared to a Mario game, and there's an RPG overworld built in, but overall it's an excellent game. It's really too bad the series died on the SNES.[/quote]

yes! Gargoyle's Quest was really good. One of my favorite games for the old gameboy.

I'll fourth the motion to find Gargoyle's Quest. It was the hardest title for me to give up when I cashed in all my GB games a few years ago. I should be sure to get a MAME of it at some point. It is slow, but it's slow in that early GB way where if the motion was too fast everything got blurry. Good controls, good design, proper difficulty level -- I can't think of a better video-game franchise that never happened.

[quote name='Parathod'][quote name='xenoman80']i think it was called elevator action[/quote]

I didn't know they made one on Gameboy. It's a great series.[/quote]

There is a new version coming with updated graphics and a nostalgia mode. It's part of the "old and New' series that started with Bubble Bobble.

I still think that the Metroid for the GB was the greatest one EVAR!!1!

It had a gerat story, great enemies. It's a classic. I wish they would rerelease that one line they did with Zero Mission.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Parathod'][quote name='xenoman80']i think it was called elevator action[/quote]

I didn't know they made one on Gameboy. It's a great series.[/quote]

There is a new version coming with updated graphics and a nostalgia mode. It's part of the "old and New' series that started with Bubble Bobble.[/quote]

It's been out in Japan for a while, but importers want an arm and a leg for it. Was it announced for the States?

Funny you should mention it, because I just pulled Dragon Warrior III out of my gamebox and popped it in today. Sooo good.

As for Bubble Bobble Old and New, I do have one gripe with that game. Old vs. New is nothing but different graphics. The "old" isn't even a port of the original game. Play the NES version and then the Gameboy "old" and you'll see they are different. Examples....

1) Your starting speed is much different
2) "Bubbling up" barely exsists or is not possible where it once was
3) On the old quest there is no continues or passwords
4) You can blow bubbles faster

I would have much preferred a port and a new version, this "old and new" is deceiving.

for titles that I find to have been slightly "forgotten" are, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters and James Bond 007, and Tecmo Bowl, as well as some others that are not coming to mind. Conker's Pocket Tales is a pretty fun game that is slightly obscured due to its far superior N64 version.

Games that I recommend/are must haves are: Metroid 2, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/Oracle of seasons/ages, Dragon Warrior games (be they 1&2/3 or the Dragon Warrior Monsters variation), the Kirby games (proud owner of every Kirby game made for GB/GBC (still have to get the GBA ones),.

For a great platformer like Mario, Wario Land 1,2,and 3 are musts.

[quote name='radjago']Great GB/GBC Puzzle games:

Mario's Picross
Quarth
Boxxle I and II
Dr Mario
Tetris
Tetris DX
Mr Driller[/quote]

I have both Quarth and Boxxle. Both are good, but they are those games that are good in small doses.

bread's done
Back