Favorite Fruits...

tiredfornow

Banned
Yesterday at lunch, I was eating my sandwich and this lady comes in with an ice chest full of fruit cups for 5 dollars a piece. Biggest rip off in the world, but one of the attorneys bought 10 of 'em just to have for whoever wanted one and it rekindled my love for fruits.

Mangoes, Strawberries, Pineapple, Apple, Cherries, Grapes, Oranges... all in one cup! My mouth had never been as satisfied and half way down the cup I decided to add some Trechas (kinda like Lucas, I guess) and that made it even more delicious.

Anyways, the point of this thread is to post what fruit you absolutely love and why you love it.

I'm a mango guy, and theres something about taking a knife and just cutting that mango in half and taking a mouthful out of the sweet, sweet fruit that just makes my knees weak. :drool: I think I could squeeze mangoes above my head while in the shower and be happy for the rest of my life smelling like an asshole... just as long as I had my mangoes.

To show my love for Mangoes, here is a poem called ''Mangoes - King of Fruits'' -

Luscious, succulent mango fruit!
How do we guard you from the brute?
King of fruits, without dispute
To you we all humbly salute!

Ripe, and unripe in forms many,
Enjoyed universally by all and any!
Ah., delicious and sweet as sugar cane,
Protecting you can be wildly insane!

Your name derives from the word "mAngaai"
You are linked to the legend of Surya Bai**!
Food of the gods! How you enchant!
O’ tangy Drupe! Wishes you grant!

Akin to Maya - you are the fruit of gold,
That sages in Arunachala have extolled;
Witness to battle and thunder storm
You let Soorapadman take your form!

O’ earthy, ripe "Sappattai" delight,
Envy of the "Alphonso" this starry night!
Gazing at onlookers from the compound wall,
How gracefully you sway amidst trees tall!

Then, in the quiet afternoon Chennai sun,
When the siesta of ladies has just begun,
Fearless street urchin and vagabond alike
Gear up towards you to aim and strike.

Alas! Shouting to protect is of no avail,
For the wily ones on the prowl prevail;
As adroitly they grab and you will snatch
Pray, can any match a more princely catch?

A well directed stone at you they throw
Following victory cries of "kokku"* ru kO!
Ah.. heavenly "kokku" sweet as cane,
Yes, protecting you is indeed in vain!

*Kokku is another name for mango tree **Legend has it that the sun princess - Surya Bai, transformed
herself into a golden lotus to evade persecution of an
evil sorceress. The sorceress became angry when the
King of the land fell in love with the beautiful lotus,
and she burnt it to ashes. But as things would be in
the battle of good overcoming evil a magnificent mango
tree sprang from the ashes and Surya Bai
stepped out from a ripe mango that had fallen to the
ground.

Faves:
pineapple
strawberry
grape
banana
orange
peach
watermelon
kiwi
lemon/lime

Like:
honeydew
mango
apple

Hate:
melon
papaya

There's lots of misc ones I didn't list.

Can we post our favorite nuts as well? Biologically, a fruit is the mechanism used by a flowering plant to spread seeds.

True nuts have to have inside a hardened ovary.

Many of the things we call nuts are actually fruits:

Almonds, cashews and macadamia nuts fall in this category.

Thus my favorite fruits are Mango and Macademia

My King fruit?

morrissey-thumb.png

I second tiredfornow's poem. Mangoes are a god among fruits. ...And I actually do have lotion with mango and green tea in it. It smells like heaven.

Close second is pineapples. So much L-ascorbate, the damn things burn holes in your mouth. And you can seriously injure a person by beating them with a ripe whole one. :whistle2:D

I think Cherries are my favourite, but I agree with Daroga that a really good apple is a thing of beauty.

I can't stand it when I bite into an Apple and it's a bit chalky, that might not be the best word to use but it's lost its crispness if you know what I mean, that sucks :bomb:

Apples. Oranges. and of course.....

Peaches and cream
I need it cause you know that I'm a fiend
Gettin' freaky in my Bentley limousine
It's even better when it's with ice cream
Know what I mean, peaches and cream

Holla 112 bitches :D

I like raspberries!
blueberries and strawberries in a parfait with granola are nice.
apples are good, if you get the right kind.
stick some vodka in the watermelon and let it keep drinking.
bananas are good, but not if they get too yellow or spotty.
clementines are the bomb, but too much effort for such a small fruit.

not so big on mangoes. though.

Well, of the common fruits I'd say strawberries.

However, nuts are technically fruits, and my favorite nut is definitely Macadamia.

I like Nectarines, good apples, star fruit, kiwis, oranges, bananas, pinapples, cantaloupe, honey dew, and peaches and pears.

I'm not really a fan of watermelon.

Durian. They smell like crap (literally), but if you can get past it they taste GREAT.

If you haven't heard of it look it up.

I also love young coconuts, commonly called Thai coconuts.

[quote name='keithp']Durian. They smell like crap (literally), but if you can get past it they taste GREAT.

If you haven't heard of it look it up.

I also love young coconuts, commonly called Thai coconuts.[/quote]

I've never heard of a Durian, but all I read up about is how bad they smell. I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of commitment. :/

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWrhD0uyMQU[/MEDIA]

[quote name='tiredfornow']No mangoes on that list.

Failure.[/quote]

Mangoes would be right between Strawberries and Peaches on that chart.

[quote name='darthbudge']Mangoes would be right between Strawberries and Peaches on that chart.[/quote]
Uh, no.

Mangoes are more difficult than peaches.

Mangos are complex, needing A LOT of work to get right.

If you didn't know the mango, the first time you saw it you'd say 'WTF'?

The mango takes a longer than most fruits to ripen.

Once the mango opens up to you, you can see the goodness that lies within.

But the mango still holds a hard core that no matter how hard you try, you will not make yield.

My housemate always makes these bowls of cereal that are pretty amazing. Something simple and non-sugared like Fiber-One, with milk and then he dumps blueberries, strawberries and banannas on it ... sometimes raspberries too.

He made me a bowl the other night and it was almost something you could have for desert.

Generally, I'm not a huge fruit eater. I love smoothies and do eat a couple pieces a week but I'm more of a veggie fan.

[quote name='BillyBob29']"Honeydews the money melon."[/QUOTE]
:lol:

I love me some melon. And pineapple. But its expensive and takes work to make myself a nice bowl of pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew. Lately I've just been buying a couple melons every weeksand cutting them up in half and eat with a spoon. As for pineapple I love it in all forms, canned and dried are the easiest to snack on.

Apples are some of the most convenient things in the world. And for $4 you can grab a bag of apples to last you a couple weeks. I got love for oranges and bananas too. Kiwis have recently hit my shopping list.

I love Grapefruit, Red-Delicious Apples (although everyone in my family hates those), grapes, Mangos, cherries, bananas..even peaches.

I hate Strawberries and Pomegranates though

[quote name='tiredfornow']Yesterday at lunch, I was eating my sandwich and this lady comes in with an ice chest full of fruit cups for 5 dollars a piece. Biggest rip off in the world, but one of the attorneys bought 10 of 'em just to have for whoever wanted one and it rekindled my love for fruits.[/quote]

Did anyone else see the irony in this statement? ;)

Favorite fruits? I can't think of a damn one I don't like. Strawberry+banana+yogurt+milk smoothies in the morning are like bliss. I'm inspired by this thread to give mangoes a shot now. Lord knows all the crap I eat, yet I always walk straight past the produce section of the grocery store every visit.

strawberries - i had the pleasure of trying the varietals of gaviota and seascape, both of which are awesome. the gaviota tastes like candy; not as much as water, not as acidic, whereas the seascape is more of a meaty strawberry.

the supermarket variety (most likely camarosa), i find, is nowhere near as good. and i used to eat baskets of those in one sitting.

cherimoyas - mark twain's favorite fruit. it tastes like an apple, but with a very custard-like texture.

mandarins - sweeter than oranges and easier to peel. i love these.

nectarines and pluots are great too. same with kiwis, i can eat those out of hand with the skin on.

i wish i liked mangoes. i really wanna try a fresh philippine mango again because those are great. the ones from mexico aren't the same.

i wanna try a mangosteen, a fruit grown in east asia. they just allowed it in the US recently.

haven't had a good watermelon. cali watermelons are terrible. i'd have to go to texas for the real thing.

i think the only fruits that i haven't acquired a taste for are papayas and grapefruit.

[quote name='dallow']What's the best method for watermelon and vodka frosty?[/quote]

Chika has more experience than I do, but I believe you cut a small hole in the top of the watermelon and dig some out -- fill to the top with vodka of choice, cover the hole, put it back in the fridge. Check on it regularly. When the watermelon starts saying "I've had enough, I'm not going to absorb what you put into me anymore", it's time to slice that puppy up in the method of your choosing and let people at it.

Last time we did it, we just had standard slices, but I've seen people cut it up into small chunks like you'd see in a fruit salad too.

[quote name='lilboo']Blueberries, Kiwi, bananas, apples, mangoes, and pomegranates (sp?).
Mmm!![/quote]

Cranberries!

[quote name='dallow']Damn, now I really want some nice cool vodka watermelon. :)[/quote]

Ditto.. although vodka doesn't agree with me. What other liquors would work with that?

bread's done
Back