Favorite Version of Tetris

DickTowel

CAGiversary!
There are so many versions of Tetris, ranging from the original to Dr. Mario to now even Human Tetris.

My question to you: What is your favorite version of Tetris? Any system. Any console. Any game.

My favorite that I wish I can play again and again and again at the comfort of my own home? Tetris the Grandmaster 3: Terror Instinct. There are only two places in the US that has the arcade release and I happen to be right next to one. There are free clones out there like Heboris that mimic the TGM series as well.

Other than that: Tetris DS fills in the rest of my Tetris void. I just wish that the infinite rotation system doesn't get implemented in every new Tetris game that comes out now.

Nintendo published version for NES. it was my first, and thanks to the awesome music it has always stood out in my memory.

For sheer amount of variety (and fanservice) I'd say Tetris DS. For pure simple game I'd say it's a 3 way split between Tengen/Arcade Tetris , GB Tetris and Tetris DX.

My favourite is the original GB Tetris, but that's only because I don't really play Tetris.

I recommend avoiding Tetris for the iPhone, it's crap.

Tetris DS. I got lucky and found a new copy hidden at a Hollywood video for $30 when it was going to $50 on eBay. Well worth the price.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I like Tetris Attack for the SNES.[/QUOTE]

That's cheating. Tetris Attack has nothing to do with the Tetris series other than being named that to spur sales over here initially (which I'm sure your well aware of that ;)).

Though I do love me some Panel de Pon/Puzzle League , preferably the aforementioned Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League.

Agreed with StarKnightX. Tetris Attack doesn't count.

Panel de Pon is my favorite puzzle game, though (and my own favorite variant is Planet Puzzle League). Tetris and Puyo Puyo are right behind it as my other faves.

1- Original Gameboy Tetris - I still remember the first time I made the Kremlin take off.

2- Tengen Tetris for the NES - 10x better than the Nintendo made version.

3- Tetris DS - Infinite rotation almost kills it, but the sheer amount of fan service and online play make up for it.

I'd have to go with the original Game Boy version, but that could be just nostalgia speaking.
And even though Tetris Attack is not really "Tetris", it is still my favorite puzzle game. (And it does have the word Tetris in it!)

AWESOME! I am loving all the TETRIS love going on in this thread! I just downloaded Tetris for my iPad. Pretty cool, but lacks the classic music!!!

Also, I liked Tetris 3D on the Virtual Boy! Where else can you get a 15 minute Tetris fix AND a throbbing head ache and turn everything in your view a nice shade of red?

I played the hell out of both Tetris DS & Tetris GB. If your favorite Tetris isn't portable then there's something wrong.

I see the Tetris DS is getting rather pricey. Glad I decided to hold onto my copy.

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']N64 Tetris. The Next Tetris is it called?
Wish I could get it...[/QUOTE]
The N64 game was The New Tetris, and I agree... that game was a lot of fun multiplayer.

[quote name='Rodimus']I played the hell out of both Tetris DS & Tetris GB. If your favorite Tetris isn't portable then there's something wrong.

I see the Tetris DS is getting rather pricey. Glad I decided to hold onto my copy.[/QUOTE]

Tetris definitely needs to be mobile! Nothing better than playing some Tetris while getting work done in "The office!" haha

Hey Rodimus have you played any of the online versions of Tetris like Tetris Friends?

TGM3 is the greatest single-player incarnation of Tetris.

If you can find Texmaster, it's a PC clone.
After playing TGM3 it's really hard to play other versions of Tetris. Very difficult to get used to rotation rules and the hard drop.

I used to play Tetris GB for days, now, for some reason, the field feels so... small. Also the piece system is a jerk, they can literally give you non-stop S/Z...

[quote name='kainzero'] I used to play Tetris GB for days, now, for some reason, the field feels so... small. Also the piece system is a jerk, they can literally give you non-stop S/Z...[/QUOTE]

Hmmm sounds like it might be time for you to to get an ipad and play tetris on there! Gotta love that huge new screen!

and ps: I still play GB Tetris. FER DAAAAAYZ

[quote name='DickTowel']Hey Rodimus have you played any of the online versions of Tetris like Tetris Friends?[/QUOTE]

No, I haven't. I've tried playing a few on consoles, but it just doesn't hold the same apeal as a handheld

[quote name='DickTowel']Hmmm sounds like it might be time for you to to get an ipad and play tetris on there! Gotta love that huge new screen!

and ps: I still play GB Tetris. FER DAAAAAYZ[/QUOTE]
The screen is not the problem, the vertical field is smaller than in modern Tetris.

It is a bigger problem on the GB because the movement system to move pieces sideways is much slower. At a certain speed, once the stack gets to a certain level, you automatically die.

That's also why I don't play GB Tetris anymore, there are just way too many flaws.

Atari Tetris (Arcade).

tetris-arc.png

[quote name='Rodimus']No, I haven't. I've tried playing a few on consoles, but it just doesn't hold the same apeal as a handheld[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's true. You should at least take a look at this Tetris version on Facebook called The Human Tetris Project http://www.humantetrisproject.com

Kinda cool cause you get to put your face onto a Tetrimino and even win prizes

I remember being little and wanting to see which characters would pop up when you beat the stage 9 challange stageson the NES. My mom was the only one in the house good enough to win beyond level 2 or 3, though- she did eventually beat 9/9. We were stoked lil' kids.

I wish I had a link to the World's Hardest Tetris my brother once had- it shows NES tetris on an old TV... when you rotate, the dropping tetrimo is stationary and the background/game board spins, re-orienting the TV to suit your rotation. It's HARD. Especially night mode.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I remember being little and wanting to see which characters would pop up when you beat the stage 9 challange stageson the NES. My mom was the only one in the house good enough to win beyond level 2 or 3, though- she did eventually beat 9/9. We were stoked lil' kids.

I wish I had a link to the World's Hardest Tetris my brother once had- it shows NES tetris on an old TV... when you rotate, the dropping tetrimo is stationary and the background/game board spins, re-orienting the TV to suit your rotation. It's HARD. Especially night mode.[/QUOTE]

You mean First Person Tetris?

[quote name='TheCapn010']I like First Person Tetris now.

Thanks DickTowel.[/QUOTE]

No prob! Sorry for any cases of nausea or vertigo that you develop in the next few days because of it though! Have you played any of the other online versions of Tetris?

[quote name='DuelLadyS']YES. Thank for the link- I must torture my friends with it now. :D[/QUOTE]

No problem! I've got plenty of other amazing Tetris links to share with you if you are interested!

I had Tetris on a keychain. That was the one I played most since it was portable. I missed out on the PSP mini version of Tetris when it was on sale.

I might pick up the coming soon Tetris Party for the DS since Tetris DS is kind of expensive in my area.

[quote name='JoKu']Tetris: The Grand Master Ace[/QUOTE]

Thats the second time GMA has been mentioned to me this week. You must be the Tetris Grand Master Ace that everyone has been talking about!

@anotherpoorgamer: Where are you that Tetris DS would be expensive in your area? I know of a pretty cool new version of Tetris for Facebook if you are interested in it....you can win some sick prizes for playing it too.

bread's done
Back