Favre a Viking...official

mission42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
47 (100%)
Never would have guessed this was going to happen....He just won't give it up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811faa27&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings have signed three-time NFL MVP Brett Favre, the team announced on its website Tuesday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Sporting a red No. 4 practice jersey, Favre joined his new teammates on the field. John David Booty, who formerly wore No. 4 for the Vikings, had changed to jersey No. 9.

"We believe adding a player such as Brett Favre to our mix will be a strong positive for this football team," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. "As we have conveyed before, his unique knowledge of our system, the NFC North and his innate skills make this a rare opportunity. We felt there was a brief window to reconsider the possibility and we owed it to the organization to evaluate our options. After thorough discussion, the same variables that made this a unique and positive situation previously, still exist. Now, our attention turns to getting to work as a team, our next practice and preparing for the season."

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me crazy but the guy still has some gas left in that tank for as old as he is.

I wouldnt think he's a liability at this point....yet....

I hope to bloody hell that he gets booed to high hell at the Metrodome and then Childress gets his ass fired for wasting money on yet another crap QB and just not getting it.

Sigh...

I heard about this on ESPN about 20 minutes ago. While I could care less if he signed or not, it's just getting annoying at this point where he plays ring around the rosie retirement. At least we won't have to deal with this again until next year though.

I still wished he would've just retired when he left the packers. This only hurts his legacy in my opinion. Not so much the playing for other teams, but just the way he's going about it.

And I always hated the vikings. I think it'll be odd to see in in a Viking uniform. but I'd hate to see how Packer fans view this recent fiasco.

[quote name='spoo']I hope to bloody hell that he gets booed to high hell at the Metrodome and then Childress gets his ass fired for wasting money on yet another crap QB and just not getting it.[/QUOTE]

QFT. This is sort of a win-win either way. Either the Vikings do well with Favre or they do bad and Childress ends up fired and we get Shanahan or Cowher or Holmgren or Gruden or whatever other big name coach that is taking 2009 off. They'll still have to scrounge up a QB, but at least we'll be rid of Childress and the Tarvaris Jackson Experiment.

[quote name='spoo']I hope to bloody hell that he gets booed to high hell at the Metrodome and then Childress gets his ass fired for wasting money on yet another crap QB and just not getting it.[/QUOTE]

Favre will bring some experience to the team if nothing else. I'm sure they will be a better team with him than without him. Jackson has done nothing for the team, and awhile Favre is not what he used to be, he still knows how the game is supposed to be played. He's not going to do well for them, he can still get the ball down the field but for every touchdown, Favre seems to give up an interception as well.

I have no doubt the Vikings will be better now than they would have and hopefully for the Vikings sake he can teach Sage a thing or two before he goes. Sage has the talent to do well in the NFL and learning from Favre wouldn't be a bad thing.

I can go either way on farve. Cant hate his love of the game, but you know hes old enough to actually make, and live with a decision. Anyway with that being said, I think the best part so far is Chris Carter blowing up at how poorly the Vikes handled the whole situation because everyone knew that he was comin. Heres the link cause its so funny:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4406963

[quote name='mission42']Favre will bring some experience to the team if nothing else. I'm sure they will be a better team with him than without him. Jackson has done nothing for the team, and awhile Favre is not what he used to be, he still knows how the game is supposed to be played. He's not going to do well for them, he can still get the ball down the field but for every touchdown, Favre seems to give up an interception as well.

I have no doubt the Vikings will be better now than they would have and hopefully for the Vikings sake he can teach Sage a thing or two before he goes. Sage has the talent to do well in the NFL and learning from Favre wouldn't be a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

First off I'm a Vikings fan so I know how badly the Vikes need a QB. Don't get me wrong have a lot of respect for Favre as thee Packer QB. The problem is that he is Bret fucking Favre the enemy for the last 15 years. I see that you are a Bears fan so I hope you can understand that it is not easy to start rooting for a guy that has been the enemy for the last 15 years and greet him with open arms. The Vikes just spent $13-14M dollars this year for a 40 year old QB that played most of his career with their biggest rival. Vick would have been a better long run, cheaper and less hatted choice than Favre.

[quote name='tankass']I can go either way on farve. Cant hate his love of the game, but you know hes old enough to actually make, and live with a decision. Anyway with that being said, I think the best part so far is Chris Carter blowing up at how poorly the Vikes handled the whole situation because everyone knew that he was comin. Heres the link cause its so funny:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4406963[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great link from my hero. :lol:

I've always liked the guy, but all this "I'm retiring, no I'm not, yes I am, no I'm not" crap is getting old every post season.

But I think it's a good pick up for the Vikings never the less, as neither Rosenfels or Jackson are NFL starting QBs IMO.

Well this means I might fast forward through a couple Lions games to see Favre play. Watching him abuse the Lions never got old.

[quote name='spoo']First off I'm a Vikings fan so I know how badly the Vikes need a QB. Don't get me wrong have a lot of respect for Favre as thee Packer QB. The problem is that he is Bret fucking Favre the enemy for the last 15 years. I see that you are a Bears fan so I hope you can understand that it is not easy to start rooting for a guy that has been the enemy for the last 15 years and greet him with open arms. The Vikes just spent $13-14M dollars this year for a 40 year old QB that played most of his career with their biggest rival. Vick would have been a better long run, cheaper and less hatted choice than Favre.
[/QUOTE]

Oh I understand where you are coming from. I would hate it if the Bear's would have signed him, but the Bears know better than to do that. I'm sure Vikings fans will let them know how much they hate it as well, but the response they get will be "we are doing what we felt was best for the team to give us the best chance at winning", etc, etc.

He should have just retired from the Packers, I agree, but look at it this way, he played nearly his whole career with the Packers, that's two games that the Vikings should be able to win this year now since Favre should know the ins and outs of everything they do.

[quote name='mission42']
He should have just retired from the Packers, I agree, but look at it this way, he played nearly his whole career with the Packers, that's two games that the Vikings should be able to win this year now since Favre should know the ins and outs of everything they do.[/QUOTE]

I'd more say he should have just kept playing for the Packers. He had a great year and the team was 13-3 his last year. If he still had the desire to play, he had no reason to retire and could have kept playing for what was a very competitive Packers team.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd more say he should have just kept playing for the Packers. He had a great year and the team was 13-3 his last year. If he still had the desire to play, he had no reason to retire and could have kept playing for what was a very competitive Packers team.[/QUOTE]

Ted Thompson's ego would disagree with this statement.

One has to really wonder, are the continuous shots to the body and head really worth the money that he's likely to make off of this? Is it worth risking your health when you've already had a successful career and have enough money to be set for life?

[quote name='mtxbass1']One has to really wonder, are the continuous shots to the body and head really worth the money that he's likely to make off of this? Is it worth risking your health when you've already had a successful career and have enough money to be set for life?[/QUOTE]

Well, he's clearly not doing it for the money.

So it's really more along the lines of "Is his desire to compete and/or get back at the Packers worth the risks?"

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, he's clearly not doing it for the money.

So it's really more along the lines of "Is his desire to compete and/or get back at the Packers worth the risks?"[/QUOTE]

Well, of course. He's set for life in that regard. But you still have to wonder, just why even take a risk like that at this point in his life? He's been lucky to escape relatively injury free. Retire, go live it up on some island. Seriously.

BOO! Go away. I am sick of seeing you cry at the end of the last few seasons and then come back.

Whining Bitch! BTW I'm a Bears Fan :)

Idea. Rather than trading players, just have them retire then come back a few weeks/months later. As a Green Bay fan first, Favre's ego is way too big. He is not the face of football. No offense to the Vikings fans here but everybody knows that people go to a dome because they can't hack it.

Unfortunately this means a lot of nationally broadcasted vikings games. I've always despised Favre. It's nice to see I have so much company all of a sudden.

madden-nfl-10-20090818005335275.jpg

Ed Werder is reporting that Brett Favre has a slight tear in his rotator cuff(throwing arm)

GOOD LUCK with that Vikings!

I only came in here because I thought he became an actual norse viking... maybe even a Techno viking or something....Im leaving now.

[quote name='Lice']I only came in here because I thought he became an actual norse viking... maybe even a Techno viking or something....Im leaving now.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to mislead you with the title. :booty:

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']About time we get a good quarterback.[/QUOTE]
well don't be discouraged by this. you guys will find one one day.

[quote name='TC']Well this means I might fast forward through a couple Lions games to see Favre play. Watching him abuse the Lions never got old.[/QUOTE]
Hell I'm considering going to see my first Lions game when the Vikes come to town.

I wonder if he will still be around come December 28 when the Vikings visit Da Bears in Chicago (I'm going to the game so I'm hoping he will be around, I want to see Briggs rearrange his face).

as a packers fan, i can say who cares with a straight face. i live in WI, and most people i know are just sick of him. all he's done as of late is ruin his legacy here.

I'm sick of the hoopla and looking forward to seeing if it actually works or not. he may be old, but there's no doubt the guy is a legend.
I'm in MN, but I hate football so this isn't as big a deal to me as it is to some, but everyone is going nuts at the office today...

[quote name='help1']I hope that he gets hit so hard that he retires.[/QUOTE]
It's already happened. Twice.

Brett Favre is in Michael Jordan territory, where people say "Yeah, you WERE great, now just go the fuck away." So tired of these hobbled old players taking roster spots some young kid would kill for. It's all about selling tickets in the end.

Not to say Favre is a bad QB. They should put him on the Lions. Maybe we'll win a game.

As a die hard Vikings fan, I do not want. I hate his guts and he's washed up.
However, since I put the team first, I'd love for him to prove me wrong and take us to the Superbowl.
Very mixed feelings.
I hate him, but every media outlet loves Favre so I am confused as to whether I should be happy or not.
Either way, Brad Childress should be fired for something this season.

[quote name='Azumangaman']As a die hard Vikings fan, I do not want. I hate his guts and he's washed up.
However, since I put the team first, I'd love for him to prove me wrong and take us to the Superbowl.
Very mixed feelings.
I hate him, but every media outlet loves Favre so I am confused as to whether I should be happy or not.
Either way, Brad Childress should be fired for something this season.[/QUOTE]

dont hate the coach hate the game

And he has such an easy hit there. He didn't even know Favre was about to throw a block, he could have just threw his weight up high and leveled him with a block everyone would be talking about because of how great it would have been. Instead, he does something like this.

Looks like he almost broke his ankle. That would have been cheap as hell, put another guy out for the season just to win a preseason game.

bread's done
Back