FEAR vs. FEAR Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

chi.bri

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Can you CAGs tell me the difference between FEAR and FEAR Files. I've been thinking of picking up one of these but I'm a little confused about the two.
Do I need FEAR to play FEAR Files?
Are they full games?
Which is better? Or are they equally good.
Do they both have multi-player?

Vote and help me choose.

FEAR is the original game.

FEAR Files is the two expansion packs for it.

Just get FEAR and play it first. Then if you like it, you can get FEAR Files.

[quote name='chi.bri']Can you CAGs tell me the difference between FEAR and FEAR Files. I've been thinking of picking up one of these but I'm a little confused about the two.
Do I need FEAR to play FEAR Files?
Are they full games?
Which is better? Or are they equally good.
Do they both have multi-player?

Vote and help me choose.[/QUOTE]
FEAR Files is basically two expansion packs together on one disc, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. Extraction Point takes place right where the original game left off and Perseus Mandate follows a different character while the original game is taking place.

You don't need the original FEAR disc to play Files but it helps to have played the original to understand what's going on in the games Files has on it. The original Fear is the better value though as it has a pretty lengthy single player campaign where both games in Files can be finished in less then six hours or so. Extraction Point can even be finished in less then three.

And both of them have online multiplayer.

I bought FEAR when it first came out for the PC and loved it.

Tried out the demo for FEAR Files and thought it was meh. It wasn't as scary or atmospheric. Something about it seemed "off". I guess it might be because of the new developer for the expansion.

So I'd suggest getting FEAR, which I thought was very good. BTW, you can play the FEAR multiplayer on the PC for free.

FEAR Files is not considered the "true" sequel by Monolith, the people who actually made fear. Sierra owns the name FEAR, Monolith owns the rest of the IP for the series. They are putting out a game this year called "Project Origin" that should be good, you can go on Xbox live and watch the teaser trailer.

I have played FEAR and have FEAR Files in my stack to play after I finish Splinter Cell. I would start with FEAR first, and decide if you like it before you purchase the expansion packs (FEAR Files will work without having the original, it is a stand alone expansion pack like Kane's Wrath for C&C 3.)

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Where can you find FEAR on the cheap?[/quote]

YMMV, but Toys R Us has it on sale for $9.98 new. Barring that, GS has it for I think 19.99 used, and there's the 25% off up to 2 used 360 games coupon that's good until the 10th. If you have an Edge card, that comes out to $14.67 after tax.

Personally, I'd go for FEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back