Feeling lucky? Maybe get a Wavebird for $18!

davyd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=900532

First time I've ever seen this in stock on the gamestop website, and I check often to see if any gamestops get Wavebirds in. (one more to go until I have a full set!)

This is the product ID that gamestop labels all Wavebirds under. Unfortunately, they label -any- wireless gamecube controller under this number as well. If you buy from the above link you have a chance at getting a wavebird, but might also get a third party POS like the one pictured on the page.

I gambled for the $18. If I don't get a wavebird, the manager at my closest gamestop knows me well enough to let me return it instore.

Coupon SAVER for free shipping. Unfortunately AFF25 doesn't work on this.

EDIT: So apparently policy is that b&m returns are ok for internet purchases! Less of a chance of being burned.

I'd just like to mention that it isn't up to the manager to let you return the item. This is clearly listed under their return policy on their website:
"
Store:
  • Items may be returned by taking them to an EB Games/GameStop store location in the United States. Items returned to an EB Games/GameStop store location must be accompanied by the original packing list.
Handling costs are non-refundable. If the reason for your return is due to our error, please contact us at the number below for a handling credit."

Edit: I forgot to mention: the above policy is why I almost always recommend for people buying from Gamestop.com to use the SAVER code rather than AFF25 because they will not refund your shipping cost if you use AFF25.

best places for wavebirds are pawnshops. They treat em like any other controller and mark them cheap. I just picked up a set of 4 for $52 from one place.

Are you saying you can't find them in the store? I just got a used Wavebird from my local B&M Gamestop for $17.99.

It works like new. It was a little grimy, but I swabbed it with some alcohol and now it looks new too.

I looked two weeks ago on the same link; I've been keeping diligence on it for the past year (via backordered link at the bottom of the page) and I'm positive it was posted more than a year ago (though a repost in this case isn't a bad thing!).

I found two MINT Wavebirds this year last year; tons of GC wireless crap. One Wavebird was at a local GS and I went to buy it two weeks ago and the damned thing was gone when I finally had money to get a third! There are other Wavebirds in the city but I've visited those stores and they look they they've passed through someone's rectum. Pass.

I just grabbed a used wavebird form GameCrazy for 14.99, plus I'm an MVP member so I got another 10% off. what a deal! I felt like I stole that thing.

still looking to get at least 1 more, maybe I'll give this a shot

[quote name='techstar25']Are you saying you can't find them in the store? I just got a used Wavebird from my local B&M Gamestop for $17.99.

It works like new. It was a little grimy, but I swabbed it with some alcohol and now it looks new too.[/quote]

I've been looking at my three regular gamestops for around a year now, and I've only managed to get 3 through b&m.

there's a wal-mart near me that had 10 platinum wavebirds for $16 each.

I bought 3 for myself and 3 for a friend. the person that checked me out in the Electronics Dept. did ask why I was buying so many. when I showed her my christmas themed giftcard she got that rare look of understanding.

now I just have to get my money from my friend. I'm nice enough to save him the trip out there, not nice enough to GIVE him the controllers.

I went last week to a B&M store.. and found 2 of them there.. when I saw the 17.99 Pricetag.. i was amazed and got them both.

I was thinking about flipping em and selling them on ebay... but since brawl comes out next month, imma keep them.

Ok, I suppose I'm a little slow here but does this affect B&M Wavebirds? The one I saw it marked at $35 I believe, would it ring up as less or is this a YMMV deal?

zoidberg.gif

"Lucky? Maybe get a Wavebird for $18, you say..."

[quote name='Apossum']best places for wavebirds are pawnshops. They treat em like any other controller and mark them cheap. I just picked up a set of 4 for $52 from one place.[/quote]

I'll second that.

I picked up two last week (one gray, one platinum) at a pawn shop for $7. And I mean $7 total, not each.

[quote name='KrAzY3']Ok, I suppose I'm a little slow here but does this affect B&M Wavebirds? The one I saw it marked at $35 I believe, would it ring up as less or is this a YMMV deal?[/quote]
Used wavebirds at gamestop are $17.99. I'm not sure about new ones, I've never seen one. Nor have I ever seen one in another b&m store. And there are no pawn shops around me. I guess I'm the only one having trouble finding wavebirds!

Zoidberg ftw.

EDIT: And my order shipped today! We shall see...

[quote name='davyd']Used wavebirds at gamestop are $17.99. I'm not sure about new ones, I've never seen one. Nor have I ever seen one in another b&m store. And there are no pawn shops around me. I guess I'm the only one having trouble finding wavebirds!

Zoidberg ftw.

EDIT: And my order shipped today! We shall see...[/QUOTE]

I just saw one yesterday marked at $35.xx. I know Gamestop doesn't always get around to marking down stuff when the price changes though so I was curious if this is the regular price or not.

I suppose I'm a late comer because I never used my Gamecube much or was that big on wireless... I passed up on a few sub-20 buck deals on Wavebirds and now I'm regretting it. I suppose I'll end up regretting passing up on a 35 buck wavebird?

I went to take advantage of this with the 50 dollar gift card I got.... and GS doesn't take gift cards online!!!! (are you kidding me?!)

I couldn't believe this, I went into the help section and it says...

"We do not currently sell or redeem Gift Cards online. We understand this is an important feature and plan to add it in the near future.

Visit your local store in the U.S. to purchase a GameStop or EB Games gift card."

it can't be THAT important to them if they haven't added it by now.I mentioned this to my sister who gave me the gift card and she said "I never would of bought it fi I knew that" yet another reason to hate these guys....

I was at my gamestop recently, and found a used wavebird for 8$! I was pretty skeptical, since I don't usually get controllers used, but it's in great condition and I tested it and it all works great. It had me wondering since the wired GC controllers were 16$ used. One time special perhaps?

[quote name='dubbfoolio']my dog chewed up my wavebird's analog sticks. I wonder how hard it would be to replace them from a regular controller.[/quote]

Well I know you need a tri-wing screw driver sometimes called a gamebit screw driver. Once you opened up the shell of the controller you can just pull up the analog sticks from the analog shaft and then rinse and repeat from the regular controller. I think its easier to pull out the grey primary analog stick because it has a mushroom top but the C stick has a nipple top so it can be a little but not so much harder.

All analog sticks usually have a bottom that shaped like a cup so you should expect little resistance pulling them out or pushing a new one back in just don't damage the shaft mechanism and you should be fine.

just for the record, i'd like to say that i picked up some madcatz or something wireless GC controller for 18 bucks at gamestop(new), and it's really good.. easily the best 3rd party controller i've ever owned.(no, i havent ever had a wavebird)

i think it's smaller than a typical cube controller, but its perfectly responsive and the D pad is fine too(which is usually the downfall of 3rd party controllers IMO)

so.. just throwing that out there as an alternative for you guys

[quote name='KrAzY3']I suppose I'll end up regretting passing up on a 35 buck wavebird?[/quote]

Yep.

I haven't seen a Wavebird, new or used, in over a year. Nintendo recently came out and said no more would be made, which is stupid.

[quote name='smoger']just for the record, i'd like to say that i picked up some madcatz or something wireless GC controller for 18 bucks at gamestop(new), and it's really good.. easily the best 3rd party controller i've ever owned.(no, i havent ever had a wavebird)

i think it's smaller than a typical cube controller, but its perfectly responsive and the D pad is fine too(which is usually the downfall of 3rd party controllers IMO)

so.. just throwing that out there as an alternative for you guys[/quote]

I have one too and I like it - but it is pretty small. If you have gargantuan hands be prepared for some cramps.

I always stroll back to electronics no matter the reason for the visit and last week, long and behold, there sat a Wavebird. I hadn't seen one there for at least six months so I was just lucky. Price? $12.00! G'luck.

[quote name='Indonesia']the link point to 3rd party wireless controller not first party wavebird.[/quote]

read the OP. GS groups all wireless controllers under the same product id, so that purchase represents ANY wireless controller, wavebird included. as to which one you receive? luck.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']my dog chewed up my wavebird's analog sticks. I wonder how hard it would be to replace them from a regular controller.[/QUOTE] Apparantly it's quite easy. I'm thinking about buying some broken Nintendo regular controllers and replacing the C stick with the analog sticks...

sweet thanks for the link it showed one store 8 miles from me having one in stock and called and sure enough they had one wavebird :D

edit: now I just need a Wii :p

[quote name='buckythekat']sweet thanks for the link it showed one store 8 miles from me having one in stock and called and sure enough they had one wavebird :D

edit: now I just need a Wii :p[/quote]

Isn't that supposed to be the other way around... :whistle2:s:whistle2:s:whistle2:s

[quote name='KueMan10']Isn't that supposed to be the other way around... :whistle2:s:whistle2:s:whistle2:s[/quote]

probably but I have almost $100 in Best Buy gift cards and reward certificates so just waiting to find a Wii at one and couldn't pass up the only wave bird within 20 miles of me so just snatched up now in preparation :)

I got lucky and found a auction on eBay for 3 *MINT* barely used gray Wavebirds for $95 and FREE SHIPPING! That breaks down to like $31.50 a 'bird. And they really were minty fresh too!

That brings me to a total of 5 wavebirds, so I'm good. I might be a CAG, but somethings you just can't skimp on....wavebirds being one of those things. Amirite?

Wasn't going to revive this thread since not a lot of people seemed interested to begin with, but since it was already topped I'll mention that I received my order yesterday, and it had a platinum wavebird!

It was disgustingly dirty, but a few sanitary wipes and it's squeeky clean.

It works once it's connected, but for some reason when I start it up I have to hold it up to the receiver in order for the signal to "cactch on." After that it works fine. It's weird, none of my other wavebirds do that. Oh well, I can deal with it.

[quote name='davyd']Wasn't going to revive this thread since not a lot of people seemed interested to begin with, but since it was already topped I'll mention that I received my order yesterday, and it had a platinum wavebird!

It was disgustingly dirty, but a few sanitary wipes and it's squeeky clean.

It works once it's connected, but for some reason when I start it up I have to hold it up to the receiver in order for the signal to "cactch on." After that it works fine. It's weird, none of my other wavebirds do that. Oh well, I can deal with it.[/quote]

I had a completely different experience. My order arrived, and I opened it to find a "G3 wireless" controller." Upon plugging it in, I discover that the down function on the analog stick doesn't work. I'm returning it today. Glad to hear you got lucky, though.

I went to EB/GS and found a wavebird on the rack (behind 2 generic wireless controllers) for about 17 bucks, I had a giftcard so I also grabbed some M$ points, and still have 10 bucks left over.

I'm going to check another EB in the area to try and get wavebird number 3.

The one thing I don't like about wavebirds is that the battery spot can give you a blister on your middle fingers where it sits when you hold it. Does this happen with everyone or do I just have big hands?

It's good to see GS hasn't raised the price on used Wavebirds just yet. I just got one yesterday for around $16 after Edge discount. Now I just need to find one more for a set of four.

bread's done
Back