FFXIV Discussion - Will We See the Return of Taru Tarus?!?!

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oLRDwESK3A

Just starting this discussion off in the right place. Here's some notes taken from the questionare at E3:

Q: What are the ties to the old races of FFXI?
Tanaka: The world of FFXIV is a different one from FFXI. The races look similar so that they will feel familiar to players of FFXI, but the world is a different world, and thus the races are also different.

Q: What’s going to happen to FFXI?
Tanaka: Development for FFXIV actually began about four or five years ago and has been developed along side FFXI. FFXI is still going strong after seven years and there are no plans to stop development of FFXI.

Q: What influence has more casual games such has World of Warcraft have had on FFXI?
Komoto: While we want to make sure our players see more casual game play, we will not be a WoW clone.

Q: What features from FFXI will carry over to FFIV? Will you keep the level synch system?
Komoto: Yes, many features of FFXI will be improved upon. We want to bring content for solo players and casual players as well as large party play from the beginning of the game.

Q: Will launch and servers be global?
Tanaka: Yes, we will launch simultaneously in all regions, in English, Japanese, German and French, on both the PS3 and PC platform. Whether we will continue to have global cross region / cross platform servers remains to be seen. Players tend to congregate and play with each other, so we may designate language preferred servers. But for now, they will remain the same as FFXI

Q: Will there be a Spanish version?
Tanaka: If we find that there are enough Spanish speaking people that want to play FFXIV in their native language, we will certainly consider it, but at this time, no. We have in house translators working closely with our Dev Team in house for the global launch. Any Spanish version at this time, we would have to start again from scratch.

Q: Will player requests have the same impact on FFXIV as they have on FFXI?
Komoto: Certainly, we think that the players’ voice is very important and we want to continue to get feedback from users. FFXIV like FFXI will be sensitive to what users want from the game.

Q: Are there any especial elements you want to import or improve from FFXI to FFXIV?
Komoto: Our goal from the beginning was to make the best Final Fantasy game possible (with each title).
Tanaka: We are implementing new systems (that cannot be revealed at this time) that other MMOs have not used in the past.

Q: Was the trailer shown actual game play footage?
Komoto: Parts of it was. Some parts were pre-rendered but others, like the combat were run on the game engine.
Komoto: FFXIV’s key word through out its development is Growth. FFXIV will have new in-game systems for character development as well as expanded job system. It is quite different from FFXI.
Tanaka: The Game system will provide the type of content that players want. FFXIV will be more than just party based. There is solo content, party content, content for those that just want to play 40 minutes a day and content for those that wish to play all day.
FFXIV is completely different from FFXI and as such, there won’t be any porting over of characters from FFXI to FFXIV, even though the character design is similar. We will not be using the playonline system but a new design.

I'm normally not the type to support a MMO, but seeing as what they want to do with this game (user friendly) and the fact that FFXI was the only MMO I ever liked (but still had alot of problems with how it worked for me personally), I'm interested.

screw FXIII, FXIV is where it's at for me at least.

when my bastard friends bought me FFXI in college circa 2003 I figured I might as well give it a try. Ended up playing way too often for a year until I got a job and realized it was a fat waste of time. Sold my chara for $350 and was done w/ it....

I think I'll pass on this one lol.

but if you love FF and MMO's this outta get yer pants wet. I will admit playing MMO's in the long run saves money because it sucks up so much of your time that u don't need to spend money on other things. Quite a bargain @ the monthly price.

Definitely hope there is a beta to participate in or at least a free trial. After playing FFXI and WoW extensively on and off for years. Definitely wary of MMOs at this point in time.

Don't get me wrong I personally believe FFXI > WoW, but gil farmers/sellers and the economy really took out the fun factor. Guess leveling could also be a detriment or trying to get certain quests done that needed to be done to progress and didn't help if you didn't have a healthy linkshell or people to help out.

/endrant

Anyways, here's to hoping this is the MMO to make me/people want to get back into the genre.

Given the degree they seem to be building off FFXI they're going to have to do a lot of work to make this thing feel accessible enough to compete with WoW. It's going to require more than just fixing the big issues that plagued FFXI, though from what they're saying they seem to have the right idea.

Time will tell.

yeah, my largest gripe with FFXI was the leveling system... it was more of a bitch than it needed to be. Plus playing alone was a pain, thus I'm glad they agree it was a problem.

[quote name='m_d_amore']a lil OT but has anyone been able to play ffxi on the ps3?[/QUOTE]

Should allow you to install it if you download the little free thingie off of PSN. Needs to be a BC PS3 though, of course.

[quote name='m_d_amore']a lil OT but has anyone been able to play ffxi on the ps3?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I play FFXI on my 60gb PS3 with no problems whatsoever. You must download the PS2 software utility thing from PSN.

i got the biggest laughter when i watched that sony e3 conference and the guy said final fantasy 14 will be exclusive to the ps3. you gotta laught at that because final fantasy 13 isn't even out yet and he mentions final fantasy 14. lol!

this is probably telling you that final fantasy 13 will suck and want you to focus on final fantasy 14 instead of 13.

or...that two games were being developed for two different audiences by two different teams that just happen to be part of the same company...

these totally don't impact the gameplay at all, but i wish they would add in a new race or greatly expand the character customization lol.

and something that does impact gameplay, i hope they keep in skillchains and magic bursts or something similar. that was possibly the most fun i've had in teamwork play in a mmorpg lol

FF14 has been in development for probably three or four years now. There are some aspects of FFXI that need to be changed, but they shouldn't try to compete with WoW. FFXI is more a "old school hardcore" mmo with a massive timesink.

My friend and I are actually looking forward to this a great deal since FFXI was one of our favorite games, but did have several flaws.

What I would like to see is more of the ability to duo and trio instead of being forced into a needing that sixth party member each time. Being a DRG was not fun, waiting days and weeks without getting a party. I would also like to see new races and more different armor instead of everybody getting the same armor and having the same look. There are many other things but hopefully they fix a lot of the flaws of FFXI. Damn you digital crack.

[quote name='Thongsy']FF14 has been in development for probably three or four years now. There are some aspects of FFXI that need to be changed, but they shouldn't try to compete with WoW. FFXI is more a "old school hardcore" mmo with a massive timesink.[/QUOTE]

You really think that kind of MMO can survive in a post-WoW landscape?

i'm pretty sure it'll do a lot better than age of conan or tabula rasa that's for sure, and not just because of its Final Fantasy pedigree. Not sure how Warhammer's doing, but the thing that connects those games is that the core gameplay is awfully similar to WoW. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but if you're trying to imitate a game that has been and still is extremely popular, I don't think flattery will get you very far. FFXI was something that has always been different and a breath of fresh air (for me). Even after WoW came out I gave that a try and stopped a couple months later and kept on playing FFXI. It is a bit catered more to the patient and hardcore I guess since you can't really jump in and play a bit like WoW, but I'm sure it'll have a place alongside WoW.

Most of my dislikes from FFXI were aesthetic things. The game moved far too slow, and I mean that in a literal sense. The character seemed like they were surrounded in sludge when they moved. Everything seemed to go so slowly.

I also hated the menu system. Your equipment and items management should really be more than a big text list in this day and age.

Aesthetically I liked FFXI way more than WoW. Playing it after WoW, though, pretty much every aspect of it felt archaic, especially how gigantic each area was combined with how slowly you moved. If they update the gameplay I might check it out for a month or so, but it would have to be pretty incredible to get me paying a fee after that.

And yeah Taru Tarus are key.

[quote name='imascrub']It is a bit catered more to the patient and hardcore I guess since you can't really jump in and play a bit like WoW, but I'm sure it'll have a place alongside WoW.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much my point. There were a lot of qualities I liked in FFXI that I wouldn't want to see lost in FFXIV, but Square needs to figure out how to marry those with the kind of ease of use that made WoW so accessible. This doesn't mean they need to become a WoW clone (you have Warhammer/LotRO for that), but creating another awkward, slow-paced grindfest like FFXI isn't going to lead to much success in the long run even if it does cater to a small selection of hardcore MMOers.

[quote name='Zoglog']but if you love FF and MMO's this outta get yer pants wet. I will admit playing MMO's in the long run saves money because it sucks up so much of your time that u don't need to spend money on other things. Quite a bargain @ the monthly price.[/QUOTE]

The whole saving money in the long run is used by so many of my friends who play WoW. But I also remind them that instead of saving money, one could make money by getting a job.

I played WoW for a summer and quit.. too much time commitment. If they can cater FF14 more for the casual gamer, I'm sure I'll be game.

I played FFXI for about 5 years and I loved it, but it's definitely not conducive to having a job or going to school. I'm really glad to know that FFXIV isn't going to be so time-consuming. I guess I know what the next MMO I am going for will be.

[quote name='mis0']I played WoW for a summer and quit.. too much time commitment. If they can cater FF14 more for the casual gamer, I'm sure I'll be game.[/QUOTE]

Kind of a naive thing to say at the least because it's not the casual crowd who keeps the MMO genre going. At most a casual gamer will play for maybe at least a month or so until the next big mainstream title hits to distract them and take their attention away.

I'll probably play. I never played FFXI but played WoW for the past 5 years. I'm tired of sitting in front of my computer and would like to be able to sit on my couch, even if its with a keyboard.

It's a PS3/PC game. Also you'll probably be able to play with the controller, just need a keyboard to chat, just like in FFXI. I hope they add some kind of voice chat or something if possible, though I'm not holding my breath on that.

ooo voice chat ya i completely forgot about that... much better than having to get on Vent when in FFXI :D have they dropped a release date yet?

I'm already on board. :D

I've played FFXI on and off for quite a few years, but I've recently stopped returning after hearing rumors of Square Enix updating the game with a new title. I was personally hoping to see a new design based on the Final Fantasy Tactics/FFXII universe, but I'm happy seeing the old game get a fresh start.

Yea, seems like they're bringing back all the old races. Which is a bit disappointing. I do hope they add more races instead of just renaming them. I kinda wish they're bring in the Viera and Moogles, as playable races in it, wishful thinking.

What I been reading that is kinda interesting is how they're supposely doing away with job classes and levels, I wonder how that will work out.

no job levels would be great to be honest since it was always just a little too much of a grind. it was almost the right amount of grind, then it went a bit too far IMHO.

[quote name='Thongsy']Yea, seems like they're bringing back all the old races. Which is a bit disappointing. I do hope they add more races instead of just renaming them. I kinda wish they're bring in the Viera and Moogles, as playable races in it, wishful thinking.

What I been reading that is kinda interesting is how they're supposely doing away with job classes and levels, I wonder how that will work out.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Though I would prefer if the just removed the new races. Replace Galka with Bangaa, Tarus with Moogles, Mithra with Viera.

. . . Mithras can stay. >>

Where did you read this though? All I can find is information confirming that there will be changes but not the actual changes. :S

[quote name='helmet']Exactly. Though I would prefer if the just removed the new races. Replace Galka with Bangaa, Tarus with Moogles, Mithra with Viera.

. . . Mithras can stay. >>

Where did you read this though? All I can find is information confirming that there will be changes but not the actual changes. :S[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that all playable races in FFXI are playable in FFXIV, I just cant confirm if they will be named the same.

on the official ffxiv site, there is a gorgeous panoramic illustration showing all the races of ffxi so...yea... I think it was kind of a stupid move to make the races the same, or by their definition, "different". I don't think they'll be called the same, since the staff already mentioned that though they look similar, they are different. I just hope they blow character customization up with a load of options. I was also hoping they'd add Viera or Moogles or some other cute animal + female anthropomorphic race lol. Maybe there are more races that they have yet to introduce.

[quote name='Zoglog']Sold my chara for $350 and was done w/ it....[/QUOTE]

Ah... I was 13 when I played FFXI.. If only I had freaking known about selling your characters back in the day, It would have seriously helped a poor kid like me with all the cash i wasted paying monthly for that. Haha.

I do think Taru's will be back, they were great XI, I don't see why they wouldn't make a return, but it is quite strange we didn't see them on XIV... but hey, a taru is even on Dissidia, why the heck not on XIV? Puhh-lease!!

I'm so damn getting this though, and here my social life will go back to hell in 2010, just like in 03'.. I remember I ended up having to lie to friends about why I had to stay home, just so I could go and play.

I'm just glad that this time around leveling up won't be as extraneous anymore, thanks to the fact that you won't have to be forced to be in a party in order to level up. It'll be more friendly to those with less time.

[quote name='Xenthor']I'm so damn getting this though, and here my social life will go back to hell in 2010, just like in 03'.. I remember I ended up having to lie to friends about why I had to stay home, just so I could go and play.

I'm just glad that this time around leveling up won't be as extraneous anymore, thanks to the fact that you won't have to be forced to be in a party in order to level up. It'll be more friendly to those with less time.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I remember wasting so much time on the game. I had around 100 days of game time. I knew people who had 500 to 1000 days of game time, probably more by now since they still play. I really truly hope it isn't as intense as last time, it makes me sad thinking about how much time I wasted on the game, though I made some good friends who I still keep in contact with and and fond memories.

I'm actually excited for this game. FFXI was the first MMORPG that a bunch of my friends played so there is a special place in our hearts for it, and we will raise our Linkshells again I'm sure Team Meatsheild (yes we spelled it incorrectly) and the JustUsFriends will return once more.

Most of my friends were Taru Taru, so it will matter more to them really. I was fine being Elvaan, and I'm sure my buddy Twizon will be back as a Galka if possible. It will be interesting to see what develops.

[quote name='mis0']The whole saving money in the long run is used by so many of my friends who play WoW. But I also remind them that instead of saving money, one could make money by getting a job.

I played WoW for a summer and quit.. too much time commitment. If they can cater FF14 more for the casual gamer, I'm sure I'll be game.[/QUOTE]

Well that depends, in college students tend to have tons of free time. And comparing WoW to working a job in terms of satisfaction (no matter how much it might as well be one sometimes) isn't quite the same thing ;).

If you feel intent on wasting your time on entertainment, MMORPGs will def save money in the long term.

One thing I'm wondering is how casual they'll make it. From the interviews, they sound like they're gonna make it a wow clone w/ FF makeup on top.

I want the game now. Better to stop thinking about until some new information comes out.

I will be playing as a Galka, for sure. Those teddie bears :whistle2:D

I recently canceled my "World of Warcraft" subscription & now I want this more than ever.

You guys know about any new news on this?

Been dying to get into another MMO after quitting WoW (it just became way too casual).

I have a question though... Can you play an MMO like this efficiently with a Dualshock controller? I kind of want to get this on my PS3 since my laptop won't run it, but it seems like a huge disadvantage to be playing with a gamepad.

This game is going to be cross-platform enabled so I don't want to be at a disadvantage. How was controlling XI with a gamepad? And wouldn't playing on a console mean not having access to useful mods?

FFXI was made exclusive for the PS3, they only added support for the PC a few months afterward. My linkshell I was originally in was full of PS2 based players with me being the only person on the PC. There shouldn't be any trouble, only that you'll need to have a keyboard or the chatpad for chatting, unless they enable voice chatting.

[quote name='Thongsy']FFXI was made exclusive for the PS3, they only added support for the PC a few months afterward. My linkshell I was originally in was full of PS2 based players with me being the only person on the PC. There shouldn't be any trouble, only that you'll need to have a keyboard or the chatpad for chatting, unless they enable voice chatting.[/QUOTE]

Voice chat would be F-ing amazing. Considering the current generation, I REALLY hope this happens.

I'm on the fence with this game...

I was hugly addicted to FFXI for 2+ years., game is a huge time sink as many have said.. very hard for me to quit!
I would log on for 4-6 hr. at 1 time and not get a single thing done...

If being able to solo and not needing a 20+ person team to do a event. I would down for..

My only beef with FFXI was no jump. How do you run millions of miles with being able to jump here and there to break up the running? Also solo was hard as shit from go. My poor white mage didn't stand a chance against that bee :(

I look forward to FFXIV.

Post video view edit: Are people co-op creating a sword or something? That would be something.

The cooling kind of bothers me. It's fun to watch on occation, but I don't know if I want to watch that process all the time.

I can get over the lack-of-a jump feature due to being an ex-WoW player. The act of seeing people randomly jumping everywhere annoyed the hell outta me. Reminded me of OCD crack addicts. Besides it doesn't really add to the experience. It just gives your thumbs something to do.

The crafting/smithing/tradeskills/etc does look really awesome and in depth.

Can.not.wait. Now, just send me a beta invite now, Square!

I loved the jumping, maybe it's because I went from FFXI to WoW and it gave me something to do while running, though I quickly got tired of it. Hopefully the crafting is more friendly this time around than it was in FFXI. So much gil wasted for nothing.

We would first like to express our appreciation for your interest in
FINAL FANTASY XIV, and thank you for your application. It is our
pleasure to inform you that you have been selected for the role of
FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tester.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Requested testing platform: Windows PC

Game Login: Your Square Enix Account Login/Password
Tester Site ID/Password: Your Square Enix Account Login/Password
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Applicants selected as testers will be eligible to participate with
the beginning of the second stage of the Alpha Test.
We hope that you will continue to assist us in improving the game
throughout the entirety of the Alpha and Beta Tests.

* To PlayStation 3 Version Applicants:
This test phase will deal only with the Windows version of the
software.
Details regarding the test schedule for the PlayStation 3 version will
be released by email at a later date. If possible, we still ask and
encourage you to take part in the testing on a Windows PC

guess we gotta wait a lil bit longer for the ps3 if we get a beta at all(Game informer says its not) hopefully my laptop can run the beta for pc

bread's done
Back