FIFA 12 Thread: OUT NOW, 9.5 @ IGN. Sign up for the CAG League!

Gah, UPS still hasn't delivered my copy from Amazon. Hopefully it'll come soon! At least I can watch City v. Bayern in the Champs League this afternoon while I'm waiting.

Hmm, so apparently you can't be in two clubs? That sucks, I'm in a club with my RL friends and I guess I won't be able to join the CAG club. I would be totally up for an online league, though.

Any PS3 players? Started playing last night, I suck horribly since I haven't played a soccer game since the PS2/Xbox but I'm willing to lose a huge junk of my life to this game.

Anyone know of a site or has links on YouTube that would be good for explaining basic build-up/attacking strategies as well as defensive philosophies? I love playing these games, but I wanna learn more about the actual sport. Playing on Professional and I'm having a hard time getting wins. I usually get draws or losses even if my team is far superior. I do love the new defending system. I feel like I'm learning more on how they actually defend than last year's game. It'd be great to learn all these strategies for the Virtual Pro part 'cause I'm completely lost on where I'm supposed to go in that mode.

Why is it that I could win pretty easily on FIFA 11 legendary but I can barely win on semi pro now? Ugh. I can't help but feel like this game is a big step back from last year.

I've played like 10 games so far and don't feel like I'm getting any better at all. I hate this new defense. They literally just dribble through my entire team and I can't figure out how to stop it.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Why is it that I could win pretty easily on FIFA 11 legendary but I can barely win on semi pro now? Ugh. I can't help but feel like this game is a big step back from last year.

I've played like 10 games so far and don't feel like I'm getting any better at all. I hate this new defense. They literally just dribble through my entire team and I can't figure out how to stop it.[/QUOTE]
you cant just run at them like an idiot holding B like on fifa 11.. the best way to defend is to be patient and mark them from a comfortable distance like real life.. dont use the sprint button unless you have to or else you will get shook.. get your tackle timing down so you know the proper distance you can tackle people at.. try learning how to use the help button to force opponents a certain direction or force tough passes

my first few games were pretty rough for me on defense but then i settled down and just waited for opportunites for turnovers and now im consistently getting clean sheets

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Why is it that I could win pretty easily on FIFA 11 legendary but I can barely win on semi pro now? Ugh. I can't help but feel like this game is a big step back from last year.

I've played like 10 games so far and don't feel like I'm getting any better at all. I hate this new defense. They literally just dribble through my entire team and I can't figure out how to stop it.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling but the game gets better as you become familiar with the new defense. I still give up the occasional fluke goal but I feel like I'm getting better. The new defensive system allows for much better counter which is how've I've been scoring most of my goals.

Think I might sell this game. While my defense has been improving, every fucking shot I take either hits the post or goes directly in the keepers hands? I out shot a team on World Class difficulty 12-1 and somehow ended up losing 2-1. No, that's not a typo. The match facts said the computer had one shot on goal yet scored twice.

I want to like this game, but I'm tired of wanting to smash my controller every time I go to play a game.

Really, you're going to sell it? I mean, you're probably just getting unlucky with hitting the post. I do agree that in one-on-one situations, it seems more difficult to score than it should be. I think that using the finesse shot when the keeper comes in close is really important. If the keeper is farther away, then you do a normal shot.

I think FIFA 12 is far superior to 11, especially with all of the new online features. But the gameplay has improved dramatically as well. Who wants in on league; I'm going to set one up soon.

I love this game a lot. This is probably the best sports sim that has come out to date. Its gets a lot of the most important things right. I also love how listening to all of the Real and ManU fans cry because they cant just sprint down the wings and put in a pinpoint cross thats headed in by a 5 foot 9 guy over 4 defenders. I am not trying to rip on anyone nor am I some fifa god but I love how this game has separated the people who thought they were good at the game from the people who were actually skillful. Hell some people just developed horrid habits from Fifa 10.

Again, not trying to rip on anyone but from visiting the official forums and just talking to various people, you can instantly tell the camp the person was in from what they are complain about. Here are some insights.

The defense is too godly! You mean they actually get into a tactical position instead of mindless sprinting toward the ball handler like the only way to mark is to make a tackle. Work on actually making passes that move the ball down the field. Hell you might even have to pass backwards a couple times. Stop solely using just the wings for progression...the middle of the field is where most of your passes should be made from.

Also, learn some of the skill moves that are helpful...even basic body fakes will work....they worked last year to. I know...the spin move looks so cool but it rarely ever helps.

I CANT SCORE!! You know they changed the assisted aiming correct? It will aim it towards the goal...it will not aim it past the keeper. Meaning...you can no longer get a perfectly struck ball that hits upper 90 with just a button press. Your shots are going wide because....and get this...YOU ARE AIMING THEM WIDE. You still have aim the sticks in a direction that will score. In fact you should just put it on manual shooting because it better in every way....You will challenge for more goal once you get used to it.

I cant stop anyone when I play defense!
Well defense isnt about making tackles anymore...as it should be. Its about getting into a position to intercept passes which is what 90 percent of what real defense is. You really have to work hard at being in the right position and just adding pressure. Holding RB will put a teammate in position to cut off 1 angle you are suppose to be controlling someone else to cut off the other. Holding RB DOES NOT CAUSE YOUR TEAM MATE TO MAKE A TACKLE. It just tells them to get into position. They will make a tackle if it presents itself but RB isnt..go make a tackle its...go get into position.

Also, and maybe this is naturally to me because I played soccer in college but for the love of god STOP STABBING AT THE BALL! Pressing B should be a last ditch effort..or if your player is extremely strong (it will push people off the ball) or if you are in a perfection position. You should be hold LT and A 90% of the game...and this wont actually tackle the ball...it just puts you in position to cut of angles.

The biggest thing I notice is that people are not actually playing defense...they are mindlessly running around hoping the CPU will auto tackle for them..you could do this in FIFA 11 but no longer. The constant B presses is hilarious to watch as it preforms a stab move that takes you completely out of the play.

I hope that helps and doesnt come off to bitchy as I didnt mean it that way.

finesse shots dont work as good as they did in 11.. its all about low driven shots to the corners this year

[quote name='kingtut313']finesse shots dont work as good as they did in 11.. its all about low driven shots to the corners this year[/QUOTE]
How do you do that? I agree, the finesse shots really don't seem to do much for me when I have a wide open break away.

And I agree with Soodmeg's post, I feel like I want this game to be FIFA 11 where I can just spam some bullshit tactic and have them work 99 percent of the time and get the win like 4-1 lol.

But the goalies really do feel godly, either that or I'm not placing my shots well at all. I get on average about 1 or 2 shots off the post, so I don't really feel like it has anything to do with luck, I must be doing something wrong. And even when I have a straight break away on the keeper it seems like I'm drilling them right at the him and it's a wasted effort.

Seems like there is a more active community oon the 360 than on the PS3 right? I have always owned the FIFA games on 360 but I have always heard people say the PS3 is the console to play it on. I just got a PS3 and I played the demo on both and this is the only game where I think the PS3 controller might be a little better so I am still trying to decide. Anyone else try it on both consoles?

I just wanna say that this version blows last years version out of the water, and I didn't think that was possible. I'm gonna save alot of money on other games because I will be playing this exclusively for a while. In response to some of the complaints about playing defense, I tried playing defense like I did in FIFA 11, by just running at them and taking it away, that does not work now. I got killed my first match. Like someone stated already, just be patient and stay in front of them and pick your spots carefully. I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase :D

[quote name='MillerTime2523']How do you do that? I agree, the finesse shots really don't seem to do much for me when I have a wide open break away.

And I agree with Soodmeg's post, I feel like I want this game to be FIFA 11 where I can just spam some bullshit tactic and have them work 99 percent of the time and get the win like 4-1 lol.

But the goalies really do feel godly, either that or I'm not placing my shots well at all. I get on average about 1 or 2 shots off the post, so I don't really feel like it has anything to do with luck, I must be doing something wrong. And even when I have a straight break away on the keeper it seems like I'm drilling them right at the him and it's a wasted effort.[/QUOTE]

keep your kick meter under 50% and aim for a corner.. if you have the time, stop running with the ball and your shot will be more accurate.. the stronger you kick the ball, the more it rises so try and find that sweet spot in between a slow roller and a hard rising ball.. you really have to aim the ball in fifa12 or else you will shoot it right at the keeper.. my advice for this year is to basically re-learn the game again as if it was your first time playing.. start out on amateur and work your way up until you are comfortable scoring and defending

[quote name='kingtut313']keep your kick meter under 50% and aim for a corner.. if you have the time, stop running with the ball and your shot will be more accurate.. the stronger you kick the ball, the more it rises so try and find that sweet spot in between a slow roller and a hard rising ball.. you really have to aim the ball in fifa12 or else you will shoot it right at the keeper.. my advice for this year is to basically re-learn the game again as if it was your first time playing.. start out on amateur and work your way up until you are comfortable scoring and defending[/QUOTE]
Cool, thanks, that definitely just made this game a hell of a lot easier for me. I've pretty much done just that, relearn the game from the ground up, just got a 4-0 win on professional with my ultimate team, so I'm getting somewhere.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Cool, thanks, that definitely just made this game a hell of a lot easier for me. I've pretty much done just that, relearn the game from the ground up, just got a 4-0 win on professional with my ultimate team, so I'm getting somewhere.[/QUOTE]
no problem

Okay, who wants in for a league? I'm setting one up tonight. The league functionality seems very barebones, but we'll make it work. It would be nice to get at least eight people, although it's round robin style so it's not a big deal if we get more or fewer.

Millertime2325

:edit: it would also be nice to set up an Ultimate Team tournament or something to that effect, if there's enough interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MillerTime2523']Millertime2325

:edit: it would also be nice to set up an Ultimate Team tournament or something to that effect, if there's enough interest.[/QUOTE]
im interested in a UT tourney.. i got my Cameroon team ready :cool:

I've been playing the PS3 version and OMFG! is it buggy. My players keep crashing into each other and stumble all the fucking time. It's really getting on my fucking nerves. Is the 360 version the same? I got it on the PS3 because I got a gameshare but if the 360 version does not have a problem with the collision engine I would gladly pay $60 for it.

EDIT: Also, whenever I play online and the game tries to give me a replay I always get a static shot of the empty field with no players on it, has this happened to anyone on the 360?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eliter1']I've been playing the PS3 version and OMFG! is it buggy. My players keep crashing into each other and stumble all the fucking time. It's really getting on my fucking nerves. Is the 360 version the same? I got it on the PS3 because I got a gameshare but if the 360 version does not have a problem with the collision engine I would gladly pay $60 for it.

EDIT: Also, whenever I play online and the game tries to give me a replay I always get a static shot of the empty field with no players on it, has this happened to anyone on the 360?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's a little buggy but not so bad IMO. I couldn't compare the two, but I don't think it's horrible. Once I had my guy go for a 1 on 1, the keeper saved it and tripped my guy and he flew from the PK stripe to the end line :lol: That only happened once though, but yeah, the collision engine could use some work.

Never seen that issue online though I've only played like 4 or 5 games.

[quote name='kingtut313']im interested in a UT tourney.. i got my Cameroon team ready :cool:[/QUOTE]
lol, i've made like 7 squads so far. I'll probably never have an 80+ squad since I blow all my coins on cheaper people. I have 3 bronze squads (USA, Korea, then a random team of quick guys), an Italy Serie A Silver squad, Liga BBVA gold (got everyone for like 300 each so they're all like 77), AJAX FC, and I'm working on a South Africa team right now.

Once I complete a squad, instead of saving I always buy someone new and build a squad around that, next thing you know I have 0 coins lol. I'm sure I'd have like an 85 overall team right now if I had 1 good team instead of 7 average ones lol.

Side note, JUST BEAT A TEAM ON LEGENDARY! It was two 3 star teams, but I actually won a game 2-1 and got the achievement. I'm determined to 1k this game at some point before '13 releases haha.

yea the whole appeal of UT for me is to build teams.. last year i always had a full 15 teams and most of them were teams nobody had like Silver Cameroon, Jamaica, Congo DR, Ghana, etc.

so far i have a Brazil, Cameroon, MLS and now im working on my USA squad.. i get bored just using the same teams over and over

[quote name='kingtut313']yea the whole appeal of UT for me is to build teams.. last year i always had a full 15 teams and most of them were teams nobody had like Silver Cameroon, Jamaica, Congo DR, Ghana, etc.

so far i have a Brazil, Cameroon, MLS and now im working on my USA squad.. i get bored just using the same teams over and over[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the problem with me though is I don't even use the teams, I just like to make them haha.

Does anyone else think that the collision system needs work done to it?..Maybe its just me but everytime Im playing...and the opposing defender comes after me..We literally get tangled up everytime and one of us ends up falling.

Sometimes I will even get kinda sucked into the defender and Im not able to maneuver my way around the defender.

I mean I can see if it happens every so often but it just keeps going.

If anyone plays with manual controls and shooting and want to play a vs occasionally, add me on Xbox 360. LiquidSwords216

If you use automatic controls or shooting online please don't add me.

I am an average player who just plays for fun, my record is something like 15-18-20

I prefer manual controls to make it more rewarding , but don't like playing people who use auto.

[quote name='kingtut313']yea the whole appeal of UT for me is to build teams.. last year i always had a full 15 teams and most of them were teams nobody had like Silver Cameroon, Jamaica, Congo DR, Ghana, etc.

so far i have a Brazil, Cameroon, MLS and now im working on my USA squad.. i get bored just using the same teams over and over[/QUOTE]
How do you have 100,000+ trade profit? lol

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Does anyone else think that the collision system needs work done to it?..Maybe its just me but everytime Im playing...and the opposing defender comes after me..We literally get tangled up everytime and one of us ends up falling.

Sometimes I will even get kinda sucked into the defender and Im not able to maneuver my way around the defender.

I mean I can see if it happens every so often but it just keeps going.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it could use a little work. It gets pretty frustrating sometimes but hopefully it won't be a problem in '13.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']How do you have 100,000+ trade profit? lol
[/QUOTE]
haha i work the kits & badges market.. if you know what you are doing you can make a nice profit for only a little investment at a time.. my other boy deals in inform cards and had over 500k profit in a week

[quote name='bobthecat23']so did we ever get that cag fc started?[/QUOTE]
the cag fifa community is nowhere to be seen

bread's done
Back