FIFA 2005 reviews/opinions?

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I'm debating whether to pick this game up or not. I have not truly played a soccer game in a while, but it would be nice for a change of pace. Anyways, anyone have any reviews of this? Comes out tomorrow right (10/12)?

Should I pick this up or wait for the "OTHER" soccer game....Winning Eleven (that is supposed to come out next year though, right)?

Thanks!

Last soccer game I bought was Road to the World Cup on Xbox. Played it for about twenty minutes. I still have it somewhere.

Soccer's not really my sport. The new control features sound intriguing though.

[quote name='doubledown']wow, I'm suprised no one picked it up....seems to be getting good reviews.[/quote]

But the folks over at www.ibuygamesatfullpricenomatterwhat.com are eating it up. It's still not cheap enough for most of our blood. I'm still waiting on FIFA 04, and it's even got my favourite player on the cover, Henry.

It's funny, all of us that have used GameRush to it's fullest, still cannot use our CREDIT even. I have like $230 in credit, and I still don't want to drop it on FIFA....I may though, since MK:D sucks balls....I can trade that in and get credit

The biggest problem is that I hate EA, but I have liked the FIFA series most of the time, but with Live and all I might just have to break and get it! Plus that TRU sale is soon andI might wait till then!

I'd wait for WE8, Fifa has improved quite a bit. The AI just doesn't feel as good. What don't you like about MK:D? the konquest mode? I find it pretty fun online.

[quote name='Calico']I'd wait for WE8, Fifa has improved quite a bit. The AI just doesn't feel as good. What don't you like about MK:D? the konquest mode? I find it pretty fun online.[/quote]

The fighting engine just sucks to me. Haven't even tried the Konquest mode. The game just didn't seem right to me. Although I didn't master any of the moves yet, just not that fun though. I guess I'm not a big fighter fan anyways.

On to EA...not a fan of EA product lately, but I would like to get FIFA. Seems to be getting rave reveiws. And WE8 keeps being delayed (I heard a rumor it may be cancelled for XBOX...who knows)

I'd wait for Winning Eleven 8, which will probably be released next feb at a price point of $39.99. I've always liked the Winning Eleven series better than FIFA. WE 8 is worth the wait. Just pick up WE 7 if you can't.

[quote name='nachzeher']I'd wait for Winning Eleven 8, which will probably be released next feb at a price point of $39.99. I've always liked the Winning Eleven series better than FIFA. WE 8 is worth the wait. Just pick up WE 7 if you can't.[/quote]

As soon as you show me where Winning Eleven 7 is on XBOX, then I'll pick it up.....hmmm, what forum are we in here!!!! :roll:

Lol, my bad... I got into this link from the front page. I was confused by your first post when you said WE was coming out. Since you mentioned WE, I assumed you had a PS2.

Yo DoubleDown, have you checked your local GR??
I tried 2 different stores today and niether had a copy of FIFA to sell me!!!

[quote name='Santurio']Yo DoubleDown, have you checked your local GR??
I tried 2 different stores today and niether had a copy of FIFA to sell me!!![/quote]

I didn't ask, but they had the EMPTY BOX out for the PS2....I think they were behind the register.

I would've got it already yet my gut tells me to wait for the TRU sale in a couple weeks or so. And WE 8 is coming out in Europe nexwt week and it's supposed to make it here for "multiple consoles" though in spring according to the press release.

So, anyone pick it up or rent it this weekend? I'm still debating to pick it up......I may trade in MK:Deception finally so I get the most money back....since that game still blows.

I just rented this today, finally, they only got one copy to rent and they had it today!!!
I haven't played it yet but hope to get to it later tonight or tommorrow!!

[quote name='Santurio']I just rented this today, finally, they only got one copy to rent and they had it today!!!
I haven't played it yet but hope to get to it later tonight or tommorrow!![/quote]

So, did you play it yet?

I only played like half a game, I plan on playing it more tonight!!!
So far it seemed to be a very good game, very different since the last time I played a FIFA game, since 2003 I think. I will let you know more after I play it and learn the controls. I didn't like that I couldn't find a button layout in the options menu during a game!

Well I played more last night, and I really like this game. Granted I am not the biggest Futbol fan but the team selection is great, the league selection is great, the controls could be better but I liked them ebough. The main thing I didn't like was the way the computer decides which character you control, I am not sure if you can change this in the optionsyet but if you can take that off I will be 1 happy futbol player. You have better ball control where momentum plays into effect and on the fly team formation/strategy changes. Is it worth $50?....for me no, I'm a cheapass. But I will pick it up at either GR or at the TRU sale.

Thanks for the reviews......I've been reading lots a good, a few negative.

I may eventually pick it up....hoping GameRush has a good Trade-In deal in MI, or possibly the TRU sale....but that would require me spending $100 still.

Well, I went to pick up FIFA 2005 at GameRush today after i traded in MK:Deception, and they didn't have the XBOX version. Now, not sure if it was out of stock, or did not carry it. Oh well, I guess I will try another one. They did have it for rent though.

This topic is right in my wheelhouse, so I'll throw in my two cents.

IMO, Winning Eleven 7 is without a doubt the best sports game I have ever played, and quite possibly the best game I have ever played period. No other game succeeds so thoroughly at simulating its sport of focus. There is nothing to me in gaming that can compare to scoring a critical late-game goal in European club competition in WE's Master League mode. Success at the highest difficulty levels in WE requires a gargantuan time investment; I'm currently in the ninth season of play in Master League mode, not to mention the hundreds of exhibition matches I've played against friends. The time you put into the game pays off, however, when you see yourself using real football tactics to set up amazing scoring plays. I've filled up a solid MB on my PS2 memory card with my favorite replays.

On the other hand, EA's FIFA Soccer is more geared toward the casual football fan. It's easy to pick up and play, and scoring goals isn't all that hard on the default settings once you learn how to use lob passes and through balls to your advantage. On higher difficulties, it's harder to score, but you can still successfully run the length of the pitch with one player to set up a scoring play. The goals you score don't feel natural as they do in WE; most of your crosses from the wings will connect with your forwards, and their success seems to depend on what animation the game triggers upon receiving the service. FIFA is the kind of game I play with my friends who are more casual about football than I; they can hop in an exhibition match with a strong team and be competitive with me. The other main advantage? Unlike WE, which has fictional players and club teams, FIFA has all the real teams and players. It's the only game I can buy to play as my MetroStars or Bundesliga minnows Hannover 96.

I buy each game every year, and usually find myself satisfied with both purchases for different reasons. I think it's telling, however, that WE7 came out in February, and I'm still playing it in October, while I often rely on an import purchase of Total Club Manager to sustain my interest in FIFA throughout the season.

As Tiger Woods says in the oh-so-lame ESRB ads that play on EBTV 20,000 times a day, in the end, "You've got to play the game that's right for you."

Junk....I will check another here eventually. Maybe someone will trade one in and I'll get lucky....yeah right. They had empty PS2 boxes out for FIFA, but no XBOX. oh well...guess I may miss the game after all

[quote name='Tbolt7']This topic is right in my wheelhouse, so I'll throw in my two cents.

IMO, Winning Eleven 7 is without a doubt the best sports game I have ever played, and quite possibly the best game I have ever played period. No other game succeeds so thoroughly at simulating its sport of focus. There is nothing to me in gaming that can compare to scoring a critical late-game goal in European club competition in WE's Master League mode. Success at the highest difficulty levels in WE requires a gargantuan time investment; I'm currently in the ninth season of play in Master League mode, not to mention the hundreds of exhibition matches I've played against friends. The time you put into the game pays off, however, when you see yourself using real football tactics to set up amazing scoring plays. I've filled up a solid MB on my PS2 memory card with my favorite replays.

On the other hand, EA's FIFA Soccer is more geared toward the casual football fan. It's easy to pick up and play, and scoring goals isn't all that hard on the default settings once you learn how to use lob passes and through balls to your advantage. On higher difficulties, it's harder to score, but you can still successfully run the length of the pitch with one player to set up a scoring play. The goals you score don't feel natural as they do in WE; most of your crosses from the wings will connect with your forwards, and their success seems to depend on what animation the game triggers upon receiving the service. FIFA is the kind of game I play with my friends who are more casual about football than I; they can hop in an exhibition match with a strong team and be competitive with me. The other main advantage? Unlike WE, which has fictional players and club teams, FIFA has all the real teams and players. It's the only game I can buy to play as my MetroStars or Bundesliga minnows Hannover 96.

I buy each game every year, and usually find myself satisfied with both purchases for different reasons. I think it's telling, however, that WE7 came out in February, and I'm still playing it in October, while I often rely on an import purchase of Total Club Manager to sustain my interest in FIFA throughout the season.

As Tiger Woods says in the oh-so-lame ESRB ads that play on EBTV 20,000 times a day, in the end, "You've got to play the game that's right for you."[/quote]

Nice review. But I couldn't resist commenting on the fact that you opened your post about the various soccer games with a baseball cliche :D

[quote name='doubledown'][quote name='nachzeher']I'd wait for Winning Eleven 8, which will probably be released next feb at a price point of $39.99. I've always liked the Winning Eleven series better than FIFA. WE 8 is worth the wait. Just pick up WE 7 if you can't.[/quote]

As soon as you show me where Winning Eleven 7 is on XBOX, then I'll pick it up.....hmmm, what forum are we in here!!!! :roll:[/quote]

if you want to see what WE is about, and don't have a PS2, pick up WE7 on PC. I saw it's $20 at most stores (if they have it, or just look online). I may end up picking up an Xbox for WE8 when (well "if" i guess, since it's not %100 yet) it comes out in the US.

If you wait for gamerush to get fifa, you will be waiting for a while. As I said before, i preordered fifa and didnt even get a copy. I went and got it at gamestop

Ok thanks....maybe I'll wait for a PreOwned copy to come in then. I have so much credit there now, that I refuse to spend "my" money on a game at another store......trying to save some cash.

Maybe I will rent it when I get my free game rental coupon from BlockBuster.com

well, finally played the game....gopt it from GameFly with free trial. Pretty good game, although I did not get into it too much. I liked what I saw. I had no instructions, so I was learning as I played....still fun. I wish GameRush would get it in....hopefully a PO copy comes in.

bread's done
Back