fighting games: analog stick, arcade stick, or d-pad?

metroidkiller9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
-1 (0%)
which do you prefer? i personally prefer the d-pad since i was raised on console fighting games. i cant even bust out a quarter circle on an analog or arcade stick. my friend though lived the first 15 years of his life in an arcade and cant play with anything but a custom arcade stick. then my other friend uses the analog stick. but he has an odor problem so we dont really play with him often enough to find out why.

The green/gray Ascii arcade stick for the DC is the best stick i've ever used. If I can get a good stick, it's that all the way for 2d fighters. 3D fighters on the other hand, I tend to use the Dpad.

Just out of curiosity, if you use the dpad, what do you use to press the punch/kick buttons? I use my index/middle, for fast movement and to make double-presses easier. Anyone else?

^^ I think thats an Agetec stick if I am not mistaken

I traded for an ASCii stick on here and it has made a world of difference. No longer do I come with blisters by going to the arcade as now there is no need

[quote name='evilmax17']
Just out of curiosity, if you use the dpad, what do you use to press the punch/kick buttons? I use my index/middle, for fast movement and to make double-presses easier. Anyone else?[/quote]

yeah me too. for instance, the raging demon. that doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell of coming out with my thumb. unfortunately when i switch to my index/middle finger its a dead give away to all my friends by now what im about to do. god damn these slow lumbering thumbs of mine.

[quote name='punqsux']yeah im pretty sure agetec stands for ascii game entertainment technology[/quote]

makes sense. The stick I have looks very similar to the Agetec one so you are proabably correct

D-pad is prefered, arcade stick is second, and analog is only for soul calibur 2 on GC (i REALLY hate that small d-pad).

I use a custom arcade stick myself for all my home purposes, but sometimes i'll use a hori pad if i am playing capcom vs snk2 on gamecube... just sometimes when i am in the right mood.

In my mid teens, I played a lot of tournies. And spent much of my time in arcades. I perfer an arcade stick in most fighters. I have a Hotrod(like x-arcade) and a pair of happs arcade parts that I plan to convert when I have spare time. + a xbox/pc cabinet porject.

The advantage that I see is in 6 button fighting games doing a left (dragon punch motion) while using a sholder button is a pain. While, there are the 3rd party pads with 6 buttons. These are not usually set up that well. Mostly because buttons are either too small for rapid precise button smashing. or Awkwardly placed.

I also find certain crit/super moves in some neo games easier to perform because of the various motions involved.

I have to say the D-pad for me. Since I didn't go to arcades very often when fighting games were big, I got my fix from the SNES. The analog stick is just terrible.

I never went to arcades much either, but now I'm all arcade sticks. The thing is, there are so many crappy ones out there that they discourage people from using them. You really have to spend some decent cash to get a great one (X-Arcade, Hotrod, etc.). There are some decent cheap ones for around $30-$30 (the DC one is a perfect example), but those are few and far between.

I prefer arcade sticks, but I'm generally too cheap to shell out the extra funds. I have adapted well to using the d-pad over the years though.

I've always liked the d-pad...but then again, I do most of my gaming on consoles. There never were very many arcades in my area, so most of my fighting game experience came to me at home...

Yeah, I have to agree. D-Pad is the best for fighting games. It's the most precise, I mean when you press the Hadoken motion, you're not going to be randomly jumping. Well unless you suck that badly yeah.

bread's done
Back