filed 1st complaint against GS :-X

greydemise

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
honestly, im not the complaining type at all, and it usually takes alot to get my goat (years doing retail does that), but i honestly felt really cheated and compelled to write a complaint yesterday.
basically, i go in to take advantage of that "get 20% more on trade ins toward fable 2 reserve" deal, my little brother left a ton of GC and PS2 games that he looong forgot about, so i went to put them to good use, along with BF:BC and orange box of mine that i havent played in a bit. i go to trade them in, and before anything, i mention that i want to take advantage of aforementioned deal. the clerk looks confused as hell, but then says "yes we are doing that" he asks for my edge card, and then i lay out the mountain of trade ins before him (actually it was like 11 games). i watch the little keypad tell me that my credit is about $93, and at this point, i planned on using the rest of the credit towards a fallout 3 reserve. he kid stares are the screen, mouth open, asks manager how to do a reserve. manager comes over and says he did it wrong, that edge and 20% doesnt stack. its okay, but now i watch my credit go down to $69 (wtf), call me crazy, but 10% off of $93 isnt the $29 loss that i just took to my credit. so i ask about if im stll getting the 20% towards fable, she ignores me twice, and then gives me an "uh huh". i ask about the hit my credit took, and she said "well, you can either get the 20% more, or get an extra $10 (yes, dollars) towards the game. i say,i wasnt aware of a $10 more promo, she cuts me off and says "you'll get more if you choose $10", so i take it, dont see a change in my credit. so i was charged for fable 2 (thats cool), but now that i look at my receipt, i just see the 10% edge card bonus, no supposed $10, no 20% to anything, nothing. and when i go to ask her about it, she interupts and says "we dont have the pub games anymore" and walks off, i call her over twice and she walks off.

i wrote the complaint on tellgamespot.com and requested to be contacted by a DM, if im annoyed at a store, fine, but i honestly feel cheated out of an extra 10% that im entitled to, normally i wouldnt make a stink out of an extra $6.90, especially since i had no problem putting it towards another reserve. i have requested to be contacted by a DM. has anyone experienced something like this, made a complaint and seen results? been contacted or compensated at all? i really dont know how this works :(

I note a complaint about the manager at my GS every receipt I get. I've never been contacted by a DM though, the most I got was an automated phone call asking if I would recommend the store to anyone. I said "no" and they said "thats a shame" or something.

Iv had GS try to tell me one deal is better than another, but I calculated it myself, which they didn't like since it took a few minutes and went with the deal they didn't suggest for some of the games then came back later for the other deal with the rest.

Really, Id be ok with that attitude from a casual worker, but I hate when managers, my GS' included. are jerks. They are supposed to be the example every one follows, but Im glad to the workers here don't.

this one is seriously a 5 minute walk from my house, which beats driving 20-30 mins to the closest gamestop (the other close one is a 10 min drive, but that turned into a hangout for all sorts of creeps who seriously make you feel uncomfortable for walking in), the old manager was very friendly and went out of his way to help you, he quit due to family business and moved away, this new one sits there staring at the same piece of paper and wont hop on to ring even if there is a huge line, and is just very curt with customers.

You need to call the DM, not wait for the DM to call you. If your store won't give you the number, call another store to get it. You were ripped off. Save your receipt.

Wow, I don't know how you didn't get any promos at all. You traded in two current-gen games. You should have at least gotten the bonus $10 automatically on them without anyone doing anything. It's like she actually went out of her to screw you.

^ thats just how it feels like, and thanks chakan, im gonna look it up, they are probably closed on weekends, so ill give them a call in the morning before work
-and im definatley holding onto the reciept, i think the worst part was wathcing my $93 in credit go down to $69 in one click, no way that just a "10%" loss..grr!

[quote name='greydemise']this one is seriously a 5 minute walk from my house, which beats driving 20-30 mins to the closest gamestop (the other close one is a 10 min drive, but that turned into a hangout for all sorts of creeps who seriously make you feel uncomfortable for walking in), the old manager was very friendly and went out of his way to help you, he quit due to family business and moved away, this new one sits there staring at the same piece of paper and wont hop on to ring even if there is a huge line, and is just very curt with customers.[/quote]

Wow. Same thing for me. Only difference is my GS manager doesn't stare at a piece of paper... though he does toss games down onto the counter instead of just putting them down, and doesn't look to see if he has any sealed new games in stock, even though he always does, and says he doesn't...:bomb:

That was personal ranting, please continue with the original topic.

Here's the low-down just in case you didn't know what was going on.

The computers(supposedly) cannot combine the 2 for $10 promo(which is going on til 11/2 I believe NEXT GEN GAMES ONLY) and the 20% promo for pre-orders. The manager pretty much ripped you off saying you get more for the 2 for $10 deal. The 20% deal would have gotten you much more. That's why you saw your credit take a huge hit. It probably went from the 20% promo to the 2 for $10 promo which you only got on Orange Box and BF: BC.

I would seriously call the DM and ask him to fix this.

Edit - I might be wrong on this, but I'm almost 100% sure this is what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is, the OP said he didn't get any promo at all, which seems odd. OP, under Battlefield and Orange Box, does it say promo and $5 next to it? If so, you got the $10 promo.

Post a pic of the receipt and we'll see what happened. Also, when you want to do things like this, you should split up the transactions and do them separately. Then you get the promos applied appropriately. i.e. trade in the 2 360 games first and then trade in the old stuff.

Please please please give an update when you get a chance. Oh, and for your reference, the cashier's name should be at the top of the receipt so that you know who to point the finger at when calling that DM.

is this the store in Willis Avenue in the bronx? i could just see them doing this to someone. they need to learn a thing or two about customer service..

Hope everything works out for you man. That sucks royally. There used to be two Gamestops that I would visit frequently depending on what part of town I was in. There was one that was about 25 minutes from where I live but there was one salesperson that made me feel so uncomfortable every single time I walked in. If I asked him for a game that he couldn't find or was out of stock, he acted like it didn't exist and I was out of my mind. I think he was in the mindset that girls don't play video games and he would follow me like I was going to shoplift something. When I would buy something, if I didn't sign up for a magazine subscription, the Edge card or pre-order something he would get all upset and just throw my stuff in a bag.

I am so glad that I have never run into some of these problems at my local GS stores. The employees there aren't great, but they don't give me any lip, which is good. I have only had a handful of really negative experiences.

1) When I bought my PS3, one cashier was ringing me, while the other was dealing with another customer. They were talking about the Wii, and the cashier was like, "Yeah, everyone is buying them up, so we don't have any. But only losers and ("homosexuals") are buying PS3s." He wasn't referring to me...or else I would have killed him...but it's pretty unprofessional to a) knock products you are selling and b) throw around such colorful language.

2) I went to buy a copy of the MGS Esssentials. It was release day or the day after, so they still have the display copy on the front counter. I was like, "Do you have any of these in stock?" The cashier then tries to sell me the display copy. I refused, and he was all like, "Why not?!" as if I was crazy for wanting a sealed game.

3) I completely forget what I was buying, but it was something that had just come out. So, I ask for it, and the cashier asks if I pre-ordered. I hadn't, but they had a bunch of copies of it, anyway. So, she sells me one, but has to add the, "You better pre-order next time, or else you might have to wait." So, I was like, "Then, I'll just go somewhere else."

To the OP:

Edge always stack with every promo, whether it be the 2 for $10 or the extra 20% bonus. In fact, the 20% bonus should still work with the extra $10 promo. Sounds like she might have turned off the promotions and manually added the amounts to keep you from getting the bonus. Next time if you think you are getting jipped, split the trade. Do the 2 for $10 on one transaction and the 20% bonus on another.

But ask her for the DM's number. You probably won't be able to get the credit but the DM might be able to get you a gift card at least worth the amount that you were denied.

[quote name='Sa2vador']To the OP:

Edge always stack with every promo, whether it be the 2 for $10 or the extra 20% bonus. In fact, the 20% bonus should still work with the extra $10 promo. Sounds like she might have turned off the promotions and manually added the amounts to keep you from getting the bonus. Next time if you think you are getting jipped, split the trade. Do the 2 for $10 on one transaction and the 20% bonus on another.

But ask her for the DM's number. You probably won't be able to get the credit but the DM might be able to get you a gift card at least worth the amount that you were denied.[/quote]

The 20% bonus will not stack with the 2 for $10 bonus promo. The computer only lets you do one and it chooses the one that gives you the most credit.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Really, Id be ok with that attitude from a casual worker, but I hate when managers, my GS' included. are jerks. They are supposed to be the example every one follows, but Im glad to the workers here don't.[/QUOTE]

They're also the employee most-directly affected by how much money the store brings in, which gives them incentive to pull a fast one on you occasionally.

I'm a regular at two GameStops in the same mall (Starbucks effect, heh) nearby. The one downstairs is awesome, with a cool manager and cool cashiers that always ask me to bring in extra copies of my coupons. The one upstairs tends to have the better/newer used games in stock, but they're pains in the ass to deal with.

One time, the manager switched registers mid-transaction and conveniently forgot to scan my coupon.

hey guys, thanks so much for the ideas and insight :) it really helps
im gonna post a pic real soon, the GS isnt on willis ave, but on westchester sq, and you guys have a great idea for the splitting trade in..i seriously didnt even think of it, i got some GS gift cards coming in the mail because of survey sites, after that , i really doubt ill be heading back there anymore, i dont mind a little bad service, but when it cheats me out of something that i am entitled to, then it hits another level

holy freaking shit, thank you bigdaddybruce, she didnt take it in...ive had it with this bitch, im going in right now..wish me luck

Wow. So she not only denied you every promo, but didn't scan in a game and took it anyway? She must have seen you shopping at Game Crazy and got pissed off at you man.

okay, i just got back from the GS and the guy there helped me out really quick, i just mentioned DM (CAG taught me a few tricks :) ) he actually found the copy that she didnt scan in. he said when i come in tommorow, they are going to take care of the $10 because the main manager isnt in, and they are giving me a 10% discount on fable 2 when i pick it up.
to be continued ;-X

thanks for the help and advice everyone, now then..i pick up fable after work tommorow..lets see how this plays out (and no, he didnt forget to ask me if i wanted to pre-order something else )

i got back from GS awhile ago, picked up the game, i got a $10 gift card to make up for the 2 for 10 gone wrong, and pickedu p my fully paid for fable 2. the guy was incredibly polite which was great, as the few tiems ive gone there, he's the onyl guy who does anything and is actually polite to customers.
all in all, it was pretty straightforward, the main manager lady wouldnt come out of the back, even though it was her who did most of the transaction, i heard her in the back yelling over the phone about something...personal haha
thanks for the help everyone, and thanks bigdaddybruce for spotting that orange box wasnt on the reciept!
i really appriciate everyone's help with this and in helping me get it taken care of :)!

one time i traded in a stack of about 14 games. as soon as i walked out i saw they only scanned 13. the guy was really cool about it. he voided the transaction and just redid it.

[quote name='greydemise']i got back from GS awhile ago, picked up the game, i got a $10 gift card to make up for the 2 for 10 gone wrong, and pickedu p my fully paid for fable 2. the guy was incredibly polite which was great, as the few tiems ive gone there, he's the onyl guy who does anything and is actually polite to customers.
all in all, it was pretty straightforward, the main manager lady wouldnt come out of the back, even though it was her who did most of the transaction, i heard her in the back yelling over the phone about something...personal haha
thanks for the help everyone, and thanks bigdaddybruce for spotting that orange box wasnt on the reciept!
i really appriciate everyone's help with this and in helping me get it taken care of :)![/QUOTE]

Did you get the 10% off Fable 2 as well? I was pouring over that receipt (before reading the follow-ups - d'oh!) and I thought maybe you cut part off but then the total was right for everything shown. So yeah, "forgetting" to scan something - awesome :roll:

I'm wondering what the original guy did that was wrong that she went to correct, though? It sounds like he may have been manually overriding to give you the 20% bonus which really would have worked out in your favor (as manual overrides get the Edge card boost too plus you'd get both promos). Too bad the manager had to butt in!

But the reason I asked about the 10% off it would somewhat make up for them not doing separate transactions for you - now, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to have offered that originally. I see people all the time trading stacks of games with an odd amount of next gen stuff (so they don't get the $5 bonus on one) and older stuff mixed in as well that they could get the 20% for since they ended up reserving something... Many GS clerks aren't savvy enough to know about the promos even if they wanted to help you.

Anyway, I miss the manager that used to give me preorder boosts on top of all the promos. Of course, as all competent people do, he moved on, presumably to bigger and better things :lol:.

I've had several clerks recently try to tell me I am currently getting $x dollars, but if I preorder something I'll get an addition 20%. Then I ask them if that is on top of the $10 bonus which is inlcluded in the $x and they invariably say, no, it won't work that way. So, yeah, they are trying to tell me I'll get more when, in fact, if they force it through (not sure they can though) I'd get less plus be stuck with a preorder I'd have to deal with later.

[quote name='greydemise']i got back from GS awhile ago, picked up the game, i got a $10 gift card to make up for the 2 for 10 gone wrong, and pickedu p my fully paid for fable 2. the guy was incredibly polite which was great, as the few tiems ive gone there, he's the onyl guy who does anything and is actually polite to customers.
i really appriciate everyone's help with this and in helping me get it taken care of :)![/QUOTE]

You know what you ought to do, since the original manager was no help at all and wouldn't listen to you, and the guy that fixed it was great, call the DM and tell them that. Make that guy look good and her look like poo. That's what she should get considering how poorly she treated you & how much time you've spent on a simple trade in.

It sounds like she thought you were wasting her time.

bread's done
Back