Final Fantasy Chronicles.. which game is better?

OkeSmokey21

CAGiversary!
Final Fantasy Chronicles is a great compilation of the two greatest games for SNES. However, which do y'all think is better, Final Fantasy 3 or Chrono Trigger? If neither, post your fav. SNES RPG

I played FF4 until my memory card corrupted my save data. I tried to enjoy Chrono Trigger but I can't. I found it to be mediocre at best.

Yes, that's my opinion and I know it's unpopular. Move along.

I find it hard to play these games with the newly introduced load times. I did however have the good fortune of playing them back when they were first released, and since then I've spent more time with FF3/6.

I feel it is more broad in scope, less one-track linear, and has more interesting character then Chrono Trigger. This is not to say that CT is not excellent, since it was fantastic, but in the context of when I played it first FF3/6 suited me better.

Nowadays I prefer a little more linear feel to my RPGs. Wandering around for no other reason but to wander around ticks me off. CT would win more points if I were to play it for the first time now.

I agree with WildWop in regard to the load times, because it single handedly ruined all of the PSX remakes.

Final Fantasy 6 is the better game, with an excellent plot line, a plethora of interesting characters, and a good combat system (though the translation is lacking in the second half of the game, the World of Ruin). I did enjoy Chrono Trigger, and the time travel theme was relatively intriguing (though the storyline goes to hell once you get into the alternate dimension bullshit of Chrono Cross). The tech system--especially the ability to combine special attacks and magic with other characters--was an excellent and refreshing idea, but the game is simply far too damn easy and a much shorter romp. Final Fantasy 4 was, well, decent. Worth a playthrough, but not really noteworthy outside of it being the first SNES Final Fantasy.

yup..load times really messed it up... but i like Chrono Trigger better.. its awsome..so is chrono cross..i hear they also making another Chrono game..forgot what it was called.

I like FF 4 more then Chrono Trigger, but both are great games.
[quote name='batman2million']yup..load times really messed it up... but i like Chrono Trigger better.. its awsome..so is chrono cross..i hear they also making another Chrono game..forgot what it was called.[/quote]
Square registered the name Chrono Break a few years ago, but they have not announced anything yet.

Even though the loading times on FF Chronicles is horrendous, i find Chrone Trigger, and the Chrono series in general to be the better of the two. But that's only my IMO

They were both so poorly emulated (why does the music actually sound better on a cart?!) but I enjoyed FF4 on FFC more than Chrono Trigger.

The updated script and junk removed from the original SNES release made it seem like a whole new game.

I have yet to play on the PS port. (have it just not played it yet) but FF4 (FF2 SNES) was my all time favorite :) it got me hooked on video games, and RPGs all at the same time.

FF4 was the better of the two games.

Chrono Trigger wasn't really as great as so many people said it was. (Though I did like the soundtrack and the characters a lot.)

[quote name='PsyClerk']I played FF4 until my memory card corrupted my save data. I tried to enjoy Chrono Trigger but I can't. I found it to be mediocre at best.

Yes, that's my opinion and I know it's unpopular. Move along.[/quote]

This guy is crazy, imo chrono trigger can never be topped by any rpg ever, except ff3 (6) is about as close as one will come

[quote name='WildWop']I find it hard to play these games with the newly introduced load times. I did however have the good fortune of playing them back when they were first released, and since then I've spent more time with FF3/6. [/quote]

I agree with the loading times. I too was able to play the originals back in the day and the PSX emulations just don't compare. I've got the PSX compilation with FFV and FFVI, and I just don't enjoy playing them.

My favorite SNES RPG was probably Super Mario RPG. It's short enough that I've played through it a handful of times (last time was probably about a year ago). Most rpgs take so much time to complete, I only have the patience to go through them once (Chrono Trigger, FFII [US] and Ys Book I & II are exceptions).

bread's done
Back