Final Fantasy II for Free for Android and iOS through FF Portal App

Sharingan Tony

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, so there's an app called FF Portal which you can download for free until 02/14/16, and for the 1 year anniversary, they are allowing users to download Final Fantasy II for free. The only thing is that the game has to be launched for the app. I also realize this could get moved to the "Free" Thread, but I figured a few people would want to see it here.

The article is here: http://toucharcade.com/2016/02/04/final-fantasy-2-is-free-for-a-limited-time/

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the game yesterday real easy. 

Only thing Im wondering is what is FF Portal do, for? 

Side note: The game looks really nice on iphone 6s!

I would LOVE for the regular Android/IOS version to be free, but I may break down and get it this way.

Question - Since it's in IAP for the FF Portal app, is it safe to assume that if I uninstall the game and then go back to reinstall the game after the promo period is over that I will still own the game?

I would LOVE for the regular Android/IOS version to be free, but I may break down and get it this way.

Question - Since it's in IAP for the FF Portal app, is it safe to assume that if I uninstall the game and then go back to reinstall the game after the promo period is over that I will still own the game?
Yes, you have to keep portal active to play this. once it is deleted, no more FF 2.

Side note, the free version is also on Android. Just download the portal app, which im still unsure what it does.

I got ff1 for free last year and never really touched the app (iOS) again. When I opened the app for this, it updated and let me get ff2, but there's no evidence I had 1. Not sure if I care, but some people might.

I got ff1 for free last year and never really touched the app (iOS) again. When I opened the app for this, it updated and let me get ff2, but there's no evidence I had 1. Not sure if I care, but some people might.
You may have to look around for it.

The Portal has a pretty crappy system of keeping track of your games.

Takes me forever each time to remember where all my games are sometimes.

They updated Portal, so if you download FFII, there's a Menu Button on the top corner to click, and then you can select FFII. From what I've read, you want to keep the FF Portal App. If you erase FFII, and try to re-download after 02/14/16, you will have to buy it. I personally own this on 3 other platforms, so this is just an excuse to have another one. It's free though, so you can't really complain.

Isn't this 'Final Fantasy Portal' business just some attempt to insert an intermediary moderator between the software and the user?  It seems suspiciously like an attempt to DRM the games.  Final Fantasy II is widely available on Google Play / iOS without the portal, what benefit is there to the user to adopting the portal other than a temporarily free download? 

Thank to the original poster, it's cool to get a heads up - while cynical I'm grateful for the notice. 

Isn't this 'Final Fantasy Portal' business just some attempt to insert an intermediary moderator between the software and the user? It seems suspiciously like an attempt to DRM the games. Final Fantasy II is widely available on Google Play / iOS without the portal, what benefit is there to the user to adopting the portal other than a temporarily free download?

Thank to the original poster, it's cool to get a heads up - while cynical I'm grateful for the notice.
I'm actually having trouble finding FF2 in Google Play, can you link?

EDIT - A search in Google Play comes up with nothing, but a regular Google search come up with a link that says this:

Google Play said:
Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.
Fishy (I'm in the US)...

I'm not finding Final Fantasy II on Google Play right now either; although Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy III are still up... hopefully it will show back up after this "free" timeframe.  I might be classy of Square Enix to de-list the title so people don't 'accidentally' buy it when they could get it for free (granted that involved this sham portal crap).  

From what I gather they have created the portal as a marketing tool, that way when users log in to play their free games, they will be exposed to the various banner ads on display that advertise new FF products. doesnt really bother me so much as long as i have a free version of triple triad to play on the go.

bread's done
Back