Final Fantasy IX/Anthology/Chronicles Deals @ Amazon

Tsukento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
for those getting the Chrono-Trigger anthology, please don't

the load times are completely ridiculous, and kind of cripple the port IMO

For what it's worth, Final Fantasy IX is probably the best deal considering it's one of the more under appreciated, yet spectacular of the PlayStation Final Fantasy titles. Not to mention, it's $15.

Cool, although I got some of those games at that price years ago. I still haven't beat IX or IV. IV ranked right down there with II in the FF games I've played.

[quote name='skeeballcore']for those getting the Chrono-Trigger anthology, please don't

the load times are completely ridiculous, and kind of cripple the port IMO[/quote]

Absolutely.

I bought this 2 or 3 years ago, got about 2 hours through Chrono Trigger, and gave up due to the loading. It was horrible. I didn't even bother with FF4.

[quote name='Monroeski']If I could be sure it wouldn't be a Greatest Hits version, I'd probably jump on FF9.[/quote]

I ordered these from Amazon about 4 or 5 months ago to complete my set and they were GH versions if that helps you make up your mind.

[quote name='Monroeski']If I could be sure it wouldn't be a Greatest Hits version, I'd probably jump on FF9.[/QUOTE]

those games are out years ago, so it will be GH

[quote name='skeeballcore']for those getting the Chrono-Trigger anthology, please don't

the load times are completely ridiculous, and kind of cripple the port IMO[/quote]

yeah plus the DS is getting a port of it I think...

the load times are completely ridiculous, and kind of cripple the port IMO[/QUOTE]

Seriosly. With the DS version coming out there is NO reason to get the PS1 version. It's nice on the big screen but the load times REALLY take away from the experience...

[quote name='prateeko']Seriosly. With the DS version coming out there is NO reason to get the PS1 version. It's nice on the big screen but the load times REALLY take away from the experience...[/QUOTE]

Not really. It depends on your perspective. The load times are bad compared to the original SNES cartridge. Compared to the load times of a modern game, the average gamer probably wouldn't even notice.

Chronicles has been as low as $14.99 before that I know of. Amazon's prices for all of the PS1 Square games fluctuate a ton (Origins has dipped as low as $12.99).

Chronicles is actually a good deal just for FF4. That's a good version of the game. The load times in CT are unreasonable, but in FF4, they're unnoticable.

FF9 is easily my favorite of the PS1 FF games.

[quote name='heybtbm']Not really. It depends on your perspective. The load times are bad compared to the original SNES cartridge. Compared to the load times of a modern game, the average gamer probably wouldn't even notice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, pretty much. It's disappointing that it takes a couple of seconds just to get to the menu, but other than that, I never had a problem beating it on PSX.

Plus, if you have a backwards compatible PS3, or don't have a DS, it's worth it just so you don't have to pull out a system for one game.

ff IV on the chronicles is pretty good, but chrono trigger not so great(the game is good, load times= terrible). Is origins any good?

[quote name='gocolts18']ff IV on the chronicles is pretty good, but chrono trigger not so great(the game is good, load times= terrible). Is origins any good?[/quote]
It's Final Fantasy I and II. You're better off just getting Dawn of Souls on the GBA, really. Or at least the PSP version of the first game. FFII is the most unfavorable of the FF series during the Pre-PlayStation era.

IX is my least favorite in the series, by far. I didn't like any of the characters and I just found the whole thing uninteresting. Maybe I'll try to give it another shot someday.

Good deal on FF IX.

Anthology and Chronicles both have load time issues, but with fast-load on a PS2 you can offset this a bit.

Chronicles is 63 dollars cheaper than buying both DS titles.

I really like this version of FF IV. It has the Japanese difficulty, a good, redone translation and a couple of decent FMVs. The loading in Chrono Trigger isn't too bad if you use fast loading. It's certainly worth the sub-20 that is being asked for it.

[quote name='Skexis']Yeah, pretty much. It's disappointing that it takes a couple of seconds just to get to the menu, but other than that, I never had a problem beating it on PSX.

Plus, if you have a backwards compatible PS3, or don't have a DS, it's worth it just so you don't have to pull out a system for one game.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has a ps1 backwards compatible ps3. It's the ps2 games that don't play on some.

[quote name='wolfpackgamer']Anybody have an opinion for a Final Fantasy noob- should I pick up FF 8 or 9 to start with?[/quote]

I'd go with IX. It's what got me into the series...as well as RPGs, in general. Personally, I've never been able to finish VIII, for some reason.

Good deals on these games. I bought mine ages ago when the PS1 was still around and PS2 was on the horizon. FFIX is one of my favorites PS1 FF games besides FFVII.
FFVIII I just can't into the game. GF junction crap? I don't care. I'm still stuck in the first disc for about 4 years now because of lack of interest.

I would recommend everybody to get FFIX. FF Antholgy is good but now that the GBA versions are out, I recommend those. As much as I love CT, I'll say wait for the DS version. Think of it as a port with 2 new dungeons.

Seriously Square, how many times do I have to buy these games?

FF4 in the collection with Chrono Trigger isn't bad. I DESPISED Chrono Trigger in that collection, only around two hours as well. But I happily completed FF4, was good to play a legit Japanese version on a console after only having the EasyType one for SNES all those years.

Although, if you want the original FF4, just get it for the GBA. I hear thats the best version.

Oh, and THANK YOU OP! Ordered myself a copy of FFIX... the one I've been missing for years. $15... HELL YEAH!

[quote name='Greenboom98']Good deals on these games. I bought mine ages ago when the PS1 was still around and PS2 was on the horizon. FFIX is one of my favorites PS1 FF games besides FFVII.
FFVIII I just can't into the game. GF junction crap? I don't care. I'm still stuck in the first disc for about 4 years now because of lack of interest.

I would recommend everybody to get FFIX. FF Antholgy is good but now that the GBA versions are out, I recommend those. As much as I love CT, I'll say wait for the DS version. Think of it as a port with 2 new dungeons.

Seriously Square, how many times do I have to buy these games?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the FFVIII more or less sucks club, I played through it alllllllllll the way to Lunatic Pandora only to get my save corrupted. Didn't like the fragging thing within 10 hours of starting it. Ugh, the junctioning... so... very... DULL. So, few years ago started over again. Think I'm near Lunatic Pandora again.. but... WHY.

But, hell, one of my best friends loves the game and I respect that. I just can't stand the game myself.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I'd go with IX. It's what got me into the series...as well as RPGs, in general. Personally, I've never been able to finish VIII, for some reason.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't aged worth a damn. I still love the story, flawed it may be for whatever reason... but DAMMIT does it have the 5th console gen curse. Hoping IX doesn't have it as bad, since this'll be my first time playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
VIII is the best Final Fantasy I've played (I've played them all but IX and didn't finish XII). The story is easily the greatest of the series, and I loved the Junctioning system and the GF system. That's all my opinion, of course, and I do realize I'm in the minority. That's why I'm being vocal about it 8-P.

Hey Katslover

FF8 SPOILERS

So like you can stomach that "oh, we all grew up together, in an orphanage, and whatsherface was our foster mother... but umm, we forgot. What a coincidence we're all together now! and she's our enemy!"

Not flaming you, or any other FF8 fan... but, THAT is what made me kick over to not giving a DAMN about the story. And a lot of the people I've talked to that dislike it. Sense of disbelief... BLOWN AWAY.

Just curious, the opinion of someone that likes the story a lot. Again, NOT attacking it... just wanna hear the other side of the spectrum =)

eh - origins 1 is kick ass since that's what started me on RPG's (and it kicks your ass too.... go all white mages =) )

FFII was stupid - you beat yourself up to gain skills

I'm here to bash the Chrono Trigger in anthology, but for a different reason. The idiots at sqare put the japanese cutscenes in the GH release, ie. non-translated japanese text in all the cinamas - that ruins it moreso

IX was great IMO. I don't get all the people that didn't like it, especially after the abomination that was XIII.

Vivi FTW!

[quote name='bigl523']Ordered IX with a Persona 4 pre-order for free shipping. Too bad I can't buy more time to play them.[/quote]

Ah, spoken like a true game ;)

I'm in for FF VIII and IX 'cause I've always wanted to play them, but college was "in the way" when they were released--thanks for posting the deal, OP!

anyone else find it odd that Chrono Trigger is part of "Final Fantasy Chronicles"? I didn't think it had anything to do with FF ;)

[quote name='mattoz85']Absolutely.

I bought this 2 or 3 years ago, got about 2 hours through Chrono Trigger, and gave up due to the loading. It was horrible. I didn't even bother with FF4.[/QUOTE]

this is no lie, each screen takes a good 4-5 seconds (i counted) to load and this happens every time you go into battle, or go to a new screen or go to the equip/save menu, so unless if you can find something fun to do in those 4 seconds besides for staring at a black screen, i strongly don't recommend getting it.

Really? It says in stock again on July 31. I was under the impression that Square was still printing these as long as retailers are still asking for them.

bread's done
Back