Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

[quote name='Alastor']3.51[/quote]

Thanks, still haven't opened my copy yet, lol. Wished I didn't update to 3.71 m33 now, since I only needed 3.51 fw

[quote name='Setzer'] There's no in game quick save during battles but you can always put your PSP in stand by mode if you need to stop playing during a battle. [/QUOTE]

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know

The slowdown is a little weird, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Actually, what's more annoying to me is that it seems like the music is missing the reverb it had in the PS1 version, so a lot of the tracks sound kind of flat. Why would they mess with that?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Wished I didn't update to 3.71 m33 now, since I only needed 3.51 fw[/quote]

Is there something wrong with 3.71 m33? I'm still using 3.40 OE-A but at some point I'd like to upgrade to take advantage of stuff like online remote play. I might wait till they release the firmware with remote PS3 power on/off that they talked about at TGS.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']You think the slowdown is that bad? You should see Spectral Souls (it says LOADING before EVERY attack...).[/QUOTE]

i take souls anyday over this game. at least you know whos turn it is in souls

got this game Last night (sat) off gamefly will send it back tomorrow BLEH

i would rather play my GBA version at least there is no slowdown there

Did you try the game via headphones? The reverb could be unnoticeable on PSP speakers. And is Wide mode still there for a sound option? That might create reverb just by faking surround sound.

[quote name='metaly']
Is there something wrong with 3.71 m33? I'm still using 3.40 OE-A but at some point I'd like to upgrade to take advantage of stuff like online remote play. I might wait till they release the firmware with remote PS3 power on/off that they talked about at TGS.[/quote]
It was just a hassle to upgrade it. Was using a tutorial and you gotta go from 3.40 oe-a -> 3.52 m33 -> 3.53 m33-4 ->3.71 m33 to get the lastest update. The tutorial didn't say to put the kernal thing in 3.52 and and I had it in 1.50, so I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't let me upgrade to 3.71 for like an hour.

Also, I hear that 3.71 has a few bugs in it and the 1.50 kernal is gone, so no homebrew if you update to 3.71 m33. There is a fix for it, but it deletes location free player and korean language. Not that I use those, but I don't like losing features and I already lost homebrew support.

Do you have FFT WoTL metaly?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Did you try the game via headphones? The reverb could be unnoticeable on PSP speakers. And is Wide mode still there for a sound option? That might create reverb just by faking surround sound.[/quote]
Just tried it with some headphones on stereo and surround, and the reverb is definitely gone. I think it was more of a MIDI effect in the original soundtrack, and they just zeroed it out for some reason.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']It was just a hassle to upgrade it. Was using a tutorial and you gotta go from 3.40 oe-a -> 3.52 m33 -> 3.53 m33-4 ->3.71 m33 to get the lastest update. The tutorial didn't say to put the kernal thing in 3.52 and and I had it in 1.50, so I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't let me upgrade to 3.71 for like an hour.[/quote]
That does sound like a real pain. I hope going from 3.40 OE-A to future firmwares will be a little easier.

[quote name='ZerotypeX'] Do you have FFT WoTL metaly?[/quote]
Yeah, I do. I'm playing it a little bit now, although it's mostly just to get a quick taste of the remake. I'll probably start a serious game of it in a few weeks.

[quote name='metaly']
Yeah, I do. I'm playing it a little bit now, although it's mostly just to get a quick taste of the remake. I'll probably start a serious game of it in a few weeks.[/quote]

Any your playing it in 3.40 oe-a? I thought you need 3.51 fw to play it?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Any your playing it in 3.40 oe-a? I thought you need 3.51 fw to play it?[/quote]

Yeah, it works fine on my 3.40 OE-A. That does seem weird now that you mention it, since the UMD includes the official 3.51 updater.

[quote name='metaly']Yeah, it works fine on my 3.40 OE-A. That does seem weird now that you mention it, since the UMD includes the official 3.51 updater.[/quote]

lol, and I updated for nothing :bomb:. Oh well, I guess I could downgrade since I liked 3.40 oe-a. We will see....

I don't think the original were MIDI track though. Could just be a DSP effect being used in the original, in realtime layered over standard non-reverb CD audio. Realtime DSP effects can be CPU intensive, so I'm betting it was a realtime effect that they didn't want to use the PSP's already limited resources on.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I don't think the original were MIDI track though. Could just be a DSP effect being used in the original, in realtime layered over standard non-reverb CD audio. Realtime DSP effects can be CPU intensive, so I'm betting it was a realtime effect that they didn't want to use the PSP's already limited resources on.[/quote]

Well, whatever MIDI-equivalent, I mean. (I'm not familiar with the sound technologies in PS1 games.) Actually, I take it back because the reverb seems to be missing from sound effects as well, like the job/level up fanfares and death screams. So it was probably a wider-used effect they removed to help the CPU, like you say.

gave it another chance tonight and just dont like it (Dont know if cause i already own the GBA version and think its just a poor remake (why blow 40 on a game i already own)

probally sending it back tomorrow only played it for around hour before i just couldnt play it anymore

[quote name='greydemise']i am THIS close to buying a PSP again just for this title, or borrowing my brothers maybe hehe[/QUOTE]
DO IT!.... thats what i did :D
bought the system just for this title.....
ive had a psp before, bought it on launch..... sold it after 6 mo.

[quote name='slidecage']gave it another chance tonight and just dont like it (Dont know if cause i already own the GBA version and think its just a poor remake (why blow 40 on a game i already own)

probally sending it back tomorrow only played it for around hour before i just couldnt play it anymore[/QUOTE]
Why do you keep saying that? This isn't a remake of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Not even close.

[quote name='slidecage']gave it another chance tonight and just dont like it (Dont know if cause i already own the GBA version and think its just a poor remake (why blow 40 on a game i already own)

probally sending it back tomorrow only played it for around hour before i just couldnt play it anymore[/quote]

Yeah this isnt remotely related to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

The translation alone makes this one hell of a good remake. The plot have a lot more relevance without the junior high dialog the original had.

I've played quite a bit and I laugh at all the people pissing and moaning over the "slowdown." It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Only thing odd I noticed was the sound is off for things like the Bonesnatch enemies that do that thunder bolt attack. The original game wasn't a technical marvel, so I see no point in bitching about the slowdown or audio hiccups. I got it for $20 from Frys and it's worth every penny.

The only thing that pisses me off about this game is the fucked up percentage bugs were not fixed. Where you always seem to miss with less than 80% chance to to hit and enemies can break all your gear with less than 40% chance. At least there's still the arrow cheat to level the playing field (intentionally aiming beyond your target for a 100% chance to hit when the arrow is stopped by whatever is in front of the target square, be it an enemy or friendly).

Did anyone get the strategy guide to this game yet? My local gamestops don't have it and I haven't seen it at any b&m and book stores. Just wondering wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the guide. I have the one for the playstation and just wondering if there is anything worthwhile in it to warrant a buy.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']At least there's still the arrow cheat to level the playing field (intentionally aiming beyond your target for a 100% chance to hit when the arrow is stopped by whatever is in front of the target square, be it an enemy or friendly).[/quote]

Ha, I never knew about that. Maybe now I'll actually use archers. Does it work for guns, too? I was so excited to finally get a gun in the original, and then it was really disappointingly bad. (If I remember correctly.)

Works for any projectile weapon I think. The only thing calculated (in regards to a hit or miss) is the target being hit. So if you shoot an enemy with a 1% chance to hit him and there's a bystander between the arrow and your target, the bystander is a guaranteed hit. The percentage for the actual target doesn't matter. You can shoot at empty tiles if you want (which honestly shouldn't be allowed anyway).

It's cheap. I almost wish they fixed that too. But the cheat is optional and you don't have to use it, whereas the hit percentage inconsistencies (where the enemy has a gargantuan advantage) is built into the game. Nothing sucks more than buying an expensive helmet and having some douchebag enemy Knight break it. For some items you'll want to reset the game just because it was so rare you can't afford to lose it.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Did anyone get the strategy guide to this game yet? My local gamestops don't have it and I haven't seen it at any b&m and book stores. Just wondering wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the guide. I have the one for the playstation and just wondering if there is anything worthwhile in it to warrant a buy.[/quote]

Amazon has it "in stock". Gamestop says it's "back ordered". I haven't seen it in any b&m stores either. wtf?!:bomb:

I was able to pick up the guide at Best Buy b&m, so you might want to check there. Two gamestops I went to before didn't have any of them in the same day.

Its not bad, pretty much an updated version of the old FFT guide.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Works for any projectile weapon I think. The only thing calculated (in regards to a hit or miss) is the target being hit. So if you shoot an enemy with a 1% chance to hit him and there's a bystander between the arrow and your target, the bystander is a guaranteed hit. The percentage for the actual target doesn't matter. You can shoot at empty tiles if you want (which honestly shouldn't be allowed anyway).

It's cheap. I almost wish they fixed that too. But the cheat is optional and you don't have to use it, whereas the hit percentage inconsistencies (where the enemy has a gargantuan advantage) is built into the game. Nothing sucks more than buying an expensive helmet and having some douchebag enemy Knight break it. For some items you'll want to reset the game just because it was so rare you can't afford to lose it.[/quote]
Actually you can still miss even if you aim at a point behind your intended target. When my ally's brave is at near 100 and I try to shoot them (for xp and jp) when they are too close and they have some reaction ability like blade grasp, I almost always miss. It seems to happen for enemies w/ either a high brave alongside a high evade reaction ability. And the guns and longbows are conditional. If it's a magic-based gun like the blaze gun then I think it's based on your MA instead of your line of sight. If it's a longbow, the cheat only works if the enemy (or ally) is directly next to you.

[quote name='metaly']Ha, I never knew about that. Maybe now I'll actually use archers. Does it work for guns, too? I was so excited to finally get a gun in the original, and then it was really disappointingly bad. (If I remember correctly.)[/quote]

Don't knock guns out completely. They're great for inflicting battle skill statuses (knight skill). If you want to rack up xp and/or jp, what I do is I whittle away at enemies by killing their speed, PA, MA and MP and then kill them. So it changes things up instead of doing it the normal way of surrounding a monk w/ Hp Restore and hitting him.

hey guys, i haven't read anything about this game at all to be honest, but i just wanted to know if it's very similar to the PSX FFT? not like the advance version at all. This is what will make me buy a PSP...

[quote name='AshesofWake']hey guys, i haven't read anything about this game at all to be honest, but i just wanted to know if it's very similar to the PSX FFT? not like the advance version at all. This is what will make me buy a PSP...[/QUOTE]
It is the PSX version with added stuff

...'cheat'? It's called "dumbfiring". >_> If there's someone standing between me and my target, and I shoot, of course I'll hit the person standing in the way. You can always see if someone's in the way of a gunshot or a crossbow shot if your intended target shows a 0% chance to be hit.

I must recommend the FFT battle mechanics guide over at GameFAQs. It is fantastic. Though, as someone who knows way too much about the game as it is, I can probably answer some questions. For example:

- enemies don't have a substantial advantage in the hit percentage department, you're just not wearing equipment that gives you evasion. Or, the enemies are using abilities that can't be evaded for whatever reason (summons, Earth Slash/Shockwave, Holy, Iaido/Draw Out, etc). But you can use those unavoidable attacks too, of course.

- Line of sight is line of sight no matter what you're using, it has nothing to do with stats. The only exceptions are longbows, which can arc over friendly units to hit enemies.

- Evasion is calculated against whatever target ends up taking the hit. It's not a 'guaranteed hit' if it's not the intended target. For example, try placing someone with Shirahadori/Blade Grasp in front of your gunner, then shoot three or more panels forward. They'll evade, as long as BG goes off.

- Magic guns are based on their weapon power, user's faith, and target's faith ONLY. MA has nothing to do with it.

It's an awful lot more fun when you understand what's going on instead of assuming everything is a cheat. :)

those who were wondering about the FYE crisis core game

they sent me FF 1 for the psp

filed a dispute and sent the game back

fye changed their site to show its FF 1 not the crisis core game

can anyone refresh my memory on how jp works....
if my character is a squire, and he use an item skill (which is chemist' skill) does he get JP for chemist and squire? or just squire ?

ty

[quote name='b3b0p']Is this worth getting over just ripping and playing my FFT PSX on my PSP for my portable tactics fix?[/QUOTE]

There are quite a few improvements made to it, including

New characters
New FMVs
New battles
New Jobs
New translation
New Multiplayer Modes
the handy psp sleep button

I called it a "cheat" because it's a cheap strategy. Not because it's a literal cheat. I think in the end it should not be allowed. It should be simple, if a target is not in line of sight for weapons lacking arching projectiles (basically anything but a bow), you should not even be allowed to carry out the action. Same as if you tried to cast a spell outside of its effect radius.

[quote name='greydemise']i am THIS close to buying a PSP again just for this title[/quote]
Same here (well this and Disgaea, though more so for FFT). I'm concerned about the slowdown, but usually people make too big of a deal about this type of thing so I'm not really sure what to think.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Same here (well this and Disgaea, though more so for FFT). I'm concerned about the slowdown, but usually people make too big of a deal about this type of thing so I'm not really sure what to think.[/QUOTE]
The slowdown isn't terrible. It's definitely noticeable, but the game is still very much playable. Nothing more than a minor annoyance.

Any deals going on this right now? I just got a PSP for cheap and would like to grab this for slightly less than $40.

[quote name='Greg4cr']Any deals going on this right now? I just got a PSP for cheap and would like to grab this for slightly less than $40.[/quote]

use the 10% off coupon from gamestop. It'll knock it down to $35.99

[quote name='ZerotypeX']use the 10% off coupon from gamestop. It'll knock it down to $35.99[/quote]

Yep, that looks like my best bet since I already used my buy.com google checkout discount.

It's a shame I missed out on the $20 deal, I can't bring myself to drop anywhere near $35-40 for this game :/ (not including tax)

[quote name='Greg4cr']Yep, that looks like my best bet since I already used my buy.com google checkout discount.[/quote]

actually, i forgot all about buy.com. If you use their google checkout and they off you a subscription to a magazine and you don't choose one. It supposedly gives you a $10 rebate for not choosing a magazine so that would bring it down to $19.99+s/h and/or tax

i got problems getting the ultima, anyone have any tips ?
i tried the one thats on gamefaqs...... by equipping Ramza a Jujitsu Gi and a Jade Armlet, doesnt work :( celia/letie keep using charm on him

im on the first part of limberry btw

[quote name='yuckfou']i got problems getting the ultima, anyone have any tips ?
i tried the one thats on gamefaqs...... by equipping Ramza a Jujitsu Gi and a Jade Armlet, doesnt work :( celia/letie keep using charm on him

im on the first part of limberry btw[/QUOTE]
I believe the Ultima demons (not 100% sure) cast it too, over the next couple stages. I gave up on getting celia/letie to cast it, and then got it by accident the next stage or the one after.

yea,..... i played again last night without any intention to get the ultima,.... then celia cast it on me.... totally random
but id suggest for anyone else to get a couple battle form that like MeanMuenster said

btw so far this game has been great, the slow down is not a prible mat all for me since i usually watch some movie when im playing anyway.

The new character, sidequests has been great.....
i just got dark knight (mastering black mage is a pain in the ass T.T 2 hours of grinding) and im about 2-3 hrs away from the end of the game (without counting the dungeon side quest)... the game feels way too easy now that i have DK, and all the overpowered melee class

This game is $30 at Amazon.com and Best Buy right now, so those not wanting to pay $40 should jump on one of those deals. Amazon gets you free shipping and probably no tax either, so a great deal.

Finally finish this game, 50 hours of gameplay i think, and i still have 2 sidequest that i havent done yet, and not planning too.....

[quote name='yuckfou']Finally finish this game, 50 hours of gameplay i think, and i still have 2 sidequest that i havent done yet, and not planning too.....[/QUOTE]
Man, that's nothing. Everyone I know who got it back in '98 maxed the clock without blinking. Unfortunately, now it will take me a year to even get to where you're at.

So is this game worth the $30?

I'm hesitant because I played FFTA and didn't like that one very much, is this one a lot better?

bread's done
Back