Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection 2008 $15 @ GameStop/EB

I would so play this game if it was free monthly service. But for what it offers it is no where near appealing for a monthly plan.

A real shame I think SE could make a fortune if they up the price of admin and then offer micro transactions but keep the game free.

This game is worth every penny! To the above person this game has twice the content of wow while easily being 2 dollars cheaper a month. That and the game would be horrible if it was free *looks at maplestory* If you've ever played a true mmorpg before you know the fee is there to keep the game running.

[quote name='crazy blain']Twice the content of WoW?[/quote]

Twice the length. They just up the amount of XP needed for stuff.

O god... o god no. Don't do this to me. I've been clean for to long. I can't jump back in man. I'm straight now man. I'm back in school, I have a job, and I have friends. Like real friends man, I can like see em in everyday life and everything man. O, god, why god? No, no I don't care how cheap it is. It won't stay cheap, I'll need more and more and it'll just eat more of my cash each month. And I'm gonna make an alt, and that's just more money. Plus I'll have to make a mule and that's more money. I'm savin that money man, I had a life planned out. I'm on the straight and narrow. And I'll keep playin and playin, and I'll drop out and I'll quit my job and I'll have nothin again.

O, god. Damn you you pusher. DAMN YOU!

Great game...if you have the time to devote yourself to it. Unless things have changed recently (I'm sure they have, but the changes don't seem to be drastic), you can't just log in and expect to get things done or solo exp (unless you are a BST). For almost everything, a group is needed, and depending on your server/level/class/time you log in, you may be waiting at least an hour or so before something happens.

I got to level 75 with Paladin, White Mage, and Dragoon about 3 years ago before quitting. I had a blast when we were actually doing missions/dynamis/BCNM. The music was fantastic, and the story and it's characters are really well done. But HNM camping (sitting in an small area for literally hours at time waiting for a special monster to spawn) really sucked.

On topic, good deal, but I am going to wait for Square's new MMO (whenever that get's released).

Actually they added level sync (allows everyone to go to the same level and still gain exp towards their real level) and Field of Valor as of late (books which give kill these then heres xp, gil and tabs which can be used towards buffs). I never have to wait longer then 15mins for a party anymore and I play a dd job. The game has definitely changed for the best.

clean for over a year now, I got addicted to this game for 4 years.. (seriously I never got addicting to any game ever, ever WoW) before quitting I was on 3rd stage relic dagger, Jobs I had was 75 Theif/ 75 Red mage/ 75 Ninja / 75 Corsair. yes I do mean jobs.

at 1st it was boring as hell, and not very user friendly for beginners. the more I played, the more addicting it got, the story is pretty amazing, and there is endless quest that will take you forever just to play this game. after awhile it becomes just about gear (armor) & weapons and how to obtain them. I do miss goin out and adventuring w/ friends.

before warn.. people

nearly lost my self playing this... my job, friends, & GF.. playing 6-10+ hr a day. and this game was a huge time sink. I had no self control, lol.. I would never play this again, or any other MMORPG, unless they paid me.

If anyone is considering this, 14-day free trial:

https://secure.playonline.com/freetrialus/

And if you do decide to continue, I'd recommend the 360 version then "obtaining" a back up copy of the PC version from "the internet" and applying your activation codes to that, so then you'll have it for both systems.

I grabbed this a week ago at Gamestop. I decided to start over to get the free month haha.

Also, they have made changes to make it more solo friendly. Level sync has pretty much gotten rid of waiting for more than 10-15 minutes (tops) for a party.

This game easily has more content than WoW, not that I want to start fighting about it. It is just easier to see more content on WoW seeing as that FFXI doesn't have markers showing quest npcs.

I was lucky enough to be a part of the PS2 beta for this. I ended up getting the game and a hard drive free out of the deal. Anyway, the game was a lot of fun, but way too time consuming. You would waste so much time trying to form a group just to try and level up and if one person left or died, you'd be waiting all over again. It sounds like it's changed a bit and making me really tempted to jump back in it. I just don't think I'd have the time for this type of game anymore, though.

[quote name='Joda84'] This game easily has more content than WoW, not that I want to start fighting about it. It is just easier to see more content on WoW seeing as that FFXI doesn't have markers showing quest npcs.[/quote]

I'm curious what you classify as content. The time it takes to max level is MUCH MUCH MUCH longer in FFXI, but I don't classify that as content. Hell, look at 1-10 outside of your town...its just grinding. 10-20 in the Dunes is also more grinding. I don't classify that as content, IMO. Its just a really long leveling process. Blizzard could cut XP by 75% and then it would take the same time.

Now, I know about Dynamis, Limbus, Assaults, Missions, etc. There is a lot of content...but IMO there is just more in WoW.

Also, I should note I don't play WoW or FFXI currently, but played both at one time. FFXI has a special place in my heart for being a huge, mysterious world that I never even began to touch. WoW had a special place in my heart for the huge boss fights and epic encounters.

[quote name='Spoon_si']before warn.. people[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Are you trying to say "Be forewarned"? Oh man...

I've had some not-so-great experiences with this game, myself. I started out with the Japanese PC version, before the American one ever came out. Like most other people here, I found it to be a horribly un-fun grind, and not user-friendly in the slightest. Losing experience (and leveling down) when you die is a horrible idea, and some nights I would make zero progress, or even negative progress because of it. It was also impossible to go solo, and a pain to get into a group.

So... yeah, not a fan.

[quote name='bassec']I'm curious what you classify as content. The time it takes to max level is MUCH MUCH MUCH longer in FFXI, but I don't classify that as content. Hell, look at 1-10 outside of your town...its just grinding. 10-20 in the Dunes is also more grinding. I don't classify that as content, IMO. Its just a really long leveling process. Blizzard could cut XP by 75% and then it would take the same time.

Now, I know about Dynamis, Limbus, Assaults, Missions, etc. There is a lot of content...but IMO there is just more in WoW.

Also, I should note I don't play WoW or FFXI currently, but played both at one time. FFXI has a special place in my heart for being a huge, mysterious world that I never even began to touch. WoW had a special place in my heart for the huge boss fights and epic encounters.[/quote]

Well FFXI world is a lot bigger (yes, I have been everywhere in WoW). Now while you can argue that WoW has more quests, the quests in WoW are tons of collect this and kill that (do hundreds of the same quests really count as tons of content?!?!?).

While both games are fun and different, FFXI isn't for people who want their hands held (nothing wrong with it). Just sometimes people don't want everything plotted out on the minimap for them.

Now level wise, I enjoy not being able to max out in under a week or two (casually). I actually feel like I actually accomplished something in FFXI.

good point on the kill quests...but in the same vein, FFXI just expects you to kill. WoW gives you at least a measly reason to do so (random equip or potions.)

[quote name='Joda84']While both games are fun and different, FFXI isn't for people who want their hands held (nothing wrong with it). Just sometimes people don't want everything plotted out on the minimap for them.

Now level wise, I enjoy not being able to max out in under a week or two (casually). I actually feel like I actually accomplished something in FFXI.[/QUOTE]

I always get a kick out of how FFXI fans justify their choice of MMORPGs, and this is typically what I see. It's a very glass-half-full way of saying "FFXI is incredibly difficult, frustrating, and user-unfriendly." I gave FFXI a chance, I really did, but it chose to go the un-fun route at every single turn.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I always get a kick out of how FFXI fans justify their choice of MMORPGs, and this is typically what I see. It's a very glass-half-full way of saying "FFXI is incredibly difficult, frustrating, and user-unfriendly." I gave FFXI a chance, I really did, but it chose to go the un-fun route at every single turn.[/QUOTE]

Not our fault you didn't "get" the game. If you want a wimpy, easy MMORPG, then by all means, keep your WoW for all we care.

Almost at my 5-year mark as an FFXI player. It's a hardcore MMO that doesn't pull any punches. You have to EARN your stuff, not be literally handed it like all these other wanna-be MMOs.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I always get a kick out of how FFXI fans justify their choice of MMORPGs, and this is typically what I see. It's a very glass-half-full way of saying "FFXI is incredibly difficult, frustrating, and user-unfriendly." I gave FFXI a chance, I really did, but it chose to go the un-fun route at every single turn.[/quote]

I play almost all mmo's out there. My favorite all time is still Everquest (1). FFXI is great and so is WoW, just FFXI is a lot different. Not all WoW fans could handle the difficulty of FFXI.

[quote name='Nogib']Not our fault you didn't "get" the game. If you want a wimpy, easy MMORPG, then by all means, keep your WoW for all we care.

Almost at my 5-year mark as an FFXI player. It's a hardcore MMO that doesn't pull any punches. You have to EARN your stuff, not be literally handed it like all these other wanna-be MMOs.[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name='Nogib']Not our fault you didn't "get" the game. If you want a wimpy, easy MMORPG, then by all means, keep your WoW for all we care.

Almost at my 5-year mark as an FFXI player. It's a hardcore MMO that doesn't pull any punches. You have to EARN your stuff, not be literally handed it like all these other wanna-be MMOs.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

"If you hate the game that we struggle to enjoy, go play a better one!"

This game wouldn't have anywhere near the player base that it does if it lost its "Final Fantasy" name. Fans of the series have had to do some serious mental gymnastics to convince themselves that this game is better than the alternatives that are out there.

You gotta remember also Kirin, some people don't want their stuff handed to them aka WoW. They like to work towards it and feel like they earned it. That is a big reason ffxi has stayed around the same numbers for as long as it has. Once you reach near endgame there is so much to do you don't even know where to start and it isn't all dungeons to raid either it's progressing in the storyline.

[quote name='Lorddraco07']You gotta remember also Kirin, some people don't want their stuff handed to them aka WoW. They like to work towards it and feel like they earned it. That is a big reason ffxi has stayed around the same numbers for as long as it has. Once you reach near endgame there is so much to do you don't even know where to start and it isn't all dungeons to raid either it's progressing in the storyline.[/QUOTE]

Sure, one of the things I *did* appreciate about XI was its attempt at stronger storytelling. And I have no doubt there are tons of things to do in the game, but holy balls, they could make the gaming experience *so* much more balanced and user-friendly with a couple tweaks. Masochistic gameplay doesn't make something good, it just makes it masochistic. That may be well and good for a select audience, but the game could have been so much more!

If it hasn't already been said, the game has made many recent changes to help the player solo more. But again, like any MMO, it does require a time commitment. Before buying it, I recommend taking a look at the wiki to know exactly what you are getting into.

Wiki link: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

[quote name='Joda84']Well FFXI world is a lot bigger (yes, I have been everywhere in WoW). Now while you can argue that WoW has more quests, the quests in WoW are tons of collect this and kill that (do hundreds of the same quests really count as tons of content?!?!?).

While both games are fun and different, FFXI isn't for people who want their hands held (nothing wrong with it). Just sometimes people don't want everything plotted out on the minimap for them.

Now level wise, I enjoy not being able to max out in under a week or two (casually). I actually feel like I actually accomplished something in FFXI.[/QUOTE]

The sense of accomplishment is why I've stuck with FFXI all these years. Been playing it since a couple of months after its U.S. release. They listen to their players and have changed the game accordingly. But this is not a game that holds your hand. For someone playing their first MMO, I recommend WoW. For someone looking for more of a challenge, FFXI is the way to go. (Note: Chain of Promathia, as far as mission content, is frustrating as hell but they eased the challenge on this somewhat.)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I always get a kick out of how FFXI fans justify their choice of MMORPGs, and this is typically what I see. It's a very glass-half-full way of saying "FFXI is incredibly difficult, frustrating, and user-unfriendly." I gave FFXI a chance, I really did, but it chose to go the un-fun route at every single turn.[/quote]

Wait...

So instead of talking about this DEAL you're deciding to use it as a platform to voice your dislike for it and to bash those that do like it over and over with each and every reply?

Wow, what an ass.

This deal makes me think a lot more FFXI newbies might be starting up. With the level matching system, it's all I can do to dust off my level 69 Red Mage and get addicted...again.

It definitely was the most addicting MMO I ever played.

I played this game for 1-2 years long ago, I was pretty serious about it but never played more than 4 hours a day at the most. I'll be honest, I didn't really get anywhere in the game, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it. The in game videos, the cinematography of some scenes, the music, its an experience I'll always love. I even beat the Shadowlord (was that his name? The credits rolled after we killed him), and I never had a problem finding parties being a Bard/WHM but even so it was brutal. A bad group and you would waste your whole night. I bought a copy when it hit $20 a while back and played for about 2 weeks but just couldn't get back into it. That part of me has died and I didn't know anyone in game anymore.

That is my final recommendation, if you can find some people to play it with you, or make friends on-line very quickly, then you will get a lot out of this, but if you prefer the solo experience, WoW is probably more fun for you. There is a lot more instan gratification anyway.

REALLY thinking about picking this up now...

*Do you guys think 3-4 hours a day would let me progress in the game since the changes have been made?

I'm surprised Square hasn't done some marketing blitz on xbox live and give the game away for free, and just have people pay for the subscription.

I have to say, I absolutely ADORE Final Fantasy. Nevertheless, this is easily one of the worst games I have ever played in my entire life. Easily within the top 10 worst games I've ever paid for. I had to give it a go, just because it was Final Fantasy. I stopped playing it for good after owning it for about two weeks. Terrible MMO, terrible game altogether. Absolutely blows my mind that enough people still pay to play this crap to keep the servers up...

[quote name='Sparticane']I have to say, I absolutely ADORE Final Fantasy. Nevertheless, this is easily one of the worst games I have ever played in my entire life. Easily within the top 10 worst games I've ever paid for. I had to give it a go, just because it was Final Fantasy. I stopped playing it for good after owning it for about two weeks. Terrible MMO, terrible game altogether. Absolutely blows my mind that enough people still pay to play this crap to keep the servers up...[/quote]

Too bad you're in the minority. The game isn't for everyone but it is a fine mmo for what it is. It doesn't hold your hand at all but thats the fun of it. I use to think it was horrible but after giving the game a second try and actually getting past level 10 I loved the game. So once again don't diss it unless you got past level 10.

[quote name='Orbiting234']Wait...

So instead of talking about this DEAL you're deciding to use it as a platform to voice your dislike for it and to bash those that do like it over and over with each and every reply?

Wow, what an ass.[/QUOTE]

I prefer to think of it as keeping people from making a horrible mistake with their money and time. But yeah, I guess I am kind of an ass. ;)

[quote name='Lorddraco07']So once again don't diss it unless you got past level 10.[/QUOTE]

I got well past level 10, and I still diss it. But I've already made my viewpoint clear, so there's no point rehashing it yet again.

Online reviews haven't exactly been kind to the game either, so it's not like we're in the minority. A split, perhaps, but not the minority.

Hmmm...price is tempting, but I'm determined to save my potential MMO hours of addiction and monthly fees for Champions Online. :tempted:

[quote name='Spoon_si']clean for over a year now, I got addicted to this game for 4 years.. (seriously I never got addicting to any game ever, ever WoW) before quitting I was on 3rd stage relic dagger, Jobs I had was 75 Theif/ 75 Red mage/ 75 Ninja / 75 Corsair. yes I do mean jobs.

at 1st it was boring as hell, and not very user friendly for beginners. the more I played, the more addicting it got, the story is pretty amazing, and there is endless quest that will take you forever just to play this game. after awhile it becomes just about gear (armor) & weapons and how to obtain them. I do miss goin out and adventuring w/ friends.

before warn.. people

nearly lost my self playing this... my job, friends, & GF.. playing 6-10+ hr a day. and this game was a huge time sink. I had no self control, lol.. I would never play this again, or any other MMORPG, unless they paid me.[/QUOTE]
This, it's like shooting up heroine.

Yeah Final Fantasy XI is a bit more hardcore than WoW and thats from first hand experience :p I remember playing countless hours just to get the Lu Shang Fishing Rod lol... WoW has a more addicting essence to it but Final Fantasy you have to work with a good group in order to level up and you can only level up with groups unless you are a Beast Master in which you have your pets fight for you which means you need to have a really good guild/party/friends etc... such as chain attacks and such for more damage etc... Good game but it was just too slow for me but if you're a hardcore mmo gamer that like Final Fantasy feeling then its a good game.

But yeah this game like all mmos are not for the weak hearted and those who are prone to leaving everything because of addictions and this game isnt like WoW when you can just do daily quests then quit, if you're in a party then be sure to play 1-3 hours with them or getting into parties just takes as much time...

So FFXI is not for the light hearted, I can see that. As a result, what kind of things can we expect from FFXI? Is there a particular wiki or fansite that is good to read up on before trying the trial?

it's so tempting.. i've been quit for so long now.. had one of the most pimped red mages on my server and just lost interest in the game..... wish i could get back into it without having to devote my life to it..

there's so many memories attached to this fella right here..
DuelistChapeau.jpg

So I'm most likely going to pick this up for 360 today when I go into work. Does anyone know if I will need the messenger pad? Or do they just use headsets in it?

[quote name='FlamingMoogles']So I'm most likely going to pick this up for 360 today when I go into work. Does anyone know if I will need the messenger pad? Or do they just use headsets in it?[/quote]

Hmm... I think my brother-in-law (who owns this for PS2, PC, and 360) used a USB keyboard to communicate. It's cross-platform so I don't think voice chat is supported.

I've never played the game (or any MMO for that matter) but I enjoyed the discussion of whether or not it sucks. I've always felt that I would like it, but I stayed away for various reasons (monthly fees, time, etc.)

[quote name='Nikadimas']Hmm... I think my brother-in-law (who owns this for PS2, PC, and 360) used a USB keyboard to communicate. It's cross-platform so I don't think voice chat is supported.[/quote]

Voice chat is technically supported, but only between 360 users. You won't be able to tell who are 360 users unless they tell you. You can create 360 parties via live and chat.

Played for 2 1/2 years when the Japanese version came out. It was my first MMO, and while I enjoyed it, it was a HUGE timesink. I would literally sit there for hours sometimes trying to set up a party. That said, the level sync option sounds really nice.

To any new players that want to try it, and I think someone already mentioned it already, try the 14 day trial on the PC and see if you like it, but $15 is a steal for the amount of content.

bread's done
Back