Final Fantasy XIII-2 $44.99 at toysrus.com

Page not found twice.

Still, it isn't surprising. When stores like BB, Gamestop, Amazon all have their stupid little pre-order DLC bonuses, companies like Toysrus that don't are trying to play catch-up.

considering that the first one was awful, not sure why anyone would even consider buying this game for more than 15$ anyway. thanx for sharing tho.

Just a heads up...TRU shipping sucks. I remember there were numerous games that took a week after they came out to arrive. Madden 12, F3AR just to name a few.

I got FF XIII, erm, 1, about two months after it came out for $25 at K-Mart. So, expecting the same on this one.

[quote name='OregonDealz']Fwiw, many people may currently have free 2 day shoprunner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're right. I didn't think about that. Why would I pay the discounted price, and not get the game on release day? If that's the case, I would just wait until the price dropped.

the game isn't shoprunner eligible.. if it is wheres the option?? i have shoprunner... and theres no option for it??.. btw this si the best price so far for the game that I've seen for preorders, yes I know the game price may drop later on but I liked the first 1 so hopefully the 2nd will be better.

ok, looks like the new retail price for FFXIII-2 is $45, good to know, i believe i also saw the same price over at newegg recently

seeing as how this game is pretty much content taken from the first ff13 so it could fit on the 360, it shouldn't be a full price game.

If it hits $30 during release week, I will buy it. Otherwise I will just wait it out until it hits below $20. Probably could score the collectors edition for $45 a week after anyways. xD

Hmm... I really enjoyed FF13 and am looking forward to playing XIII-2. Not sure if I should buy early and help this game succeed or wait until it's $20 or less this time. I also kinda want the collector's edition for the soundtrack, but I suppose I could purchase that later.

[quote name='exaznkid']ok, looks like the new retail price for FFXIII-2 is $45, good to know, i believe i also saw the same price over at newegg recently[/QUOTE]

Newegg still lists 59.99.

Hopefully they kept the paradigm combat system from FFXIII and threw out everything else. That was by far the best part of that game. $45 for a pre-order square game is a hell of a deal, but I'll wait for some reviews. Brown claw!

If you are a day one purchaser, this is a nice deal. That being said, this game received less than a warm reception in Japan and one would assume the result will be similar or, likely, worse here. This is probably going to drop in price fast if you don't feel compelled to get it right away. Fortunately, my crazy backlog means I can wait.

[quote name='Lanman']If you are a day one purchaser, this is a nice deal. That being said, this game received less than a warm reception in Japan and one would assume the result will be similar or, likely, worse here. This is probably going to drop in price fast if you don't feel compelled to get it right away. Fortunately, my crazy backlog means I can wait.[/QUOTE]

It received a perfect score in Famitsu... Was it not well received by Japanese gamers? (Not sure where I'd find such information).

I just think it's cool for people to hate final fantasy games. Thanks op for posting this. The sweet spot for me is 40 shipped for a new copy or 50 for the collector's.

Whether or not the content has been "cut" to make it fit on the 360 is irrelevant to me. If it gives me another 40-50 enjoyable hours like FFXIII did then it's money well spent in my book.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I just think it's cool for people to hate final fantasy games. Thanks op for posting this. The sweet spot for me is 40 shipped for a new copy or 50 for the collector's.

Whether or not the content has been "cut" to make it fit on the 360 is irrelevant to me. If it gives me another 40-50 enjoyable hours like FFXIII did then it's money well spent in my book.[/QUOTE]

Ever since a few game journalists started hating on Final Fantasy and other JRPGs, frequenters of such sites hopped on the bandwagon. Regardless, the haters are in the minority since FF13 is one of the best selling RPGs this console generation (beat Oblivion, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, and will probably only be eclipsed by Skyrim). Not saying that numbers mean everything, but clearly the haters are a small but vocal group.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I just think it's cool for people to hate final fantasy games. Thanks op for posting this. The sweet spot for me is 40 shipped for a new copy or 50 for the collector's.

Whether or not the content has been "cut" to make it fit on the 360 is irrelevant to me. If it gives me another 40-50 enjoyable hours like FFXIII did then it's money well spent in my book.[/QUOTE]

honestly I think the whole "cut to fit the 360" is a load of sony fanboy crap, there was a huge freakout and outcry when the 360 got FF, so I wouldn't put to much stock into it, that said, I probably won't get it immediatly, my backlog is big enough as is

[quote name='bshirk']It received a perfect score in Famitsu... Was it not well received by Japanese gamers? (Not sure where I'd find such information).[/QUOTE]
Famitsu gives every game a near perfect score.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I just think it's cool for people to hate final fantasy games.[/QUOTE]
Not really. The problem is that Square E butchered my once beloved ex favorite video game series of all time. They cut out all the classic FF tropes, staples, elements and features. Plus they cut out and gutted the game of any gameplay or options. You play throughout a 30 hour long hallway with 1 huge area. No exploration, everything is automated (even when you manually press a button to attack) and you can't even control any part members aside from the main.

FFXIII is devoid of content and features. Most importantly it is lacking gameplay, options and exploration. Therefore it does deserve all the hate and people should pass up on FFXIII-2.

[quote name='neuropunk']

Not really. The problem is that Square E butchered my once beloved ex favorite video game series of all time. They cut out all the classic FF tropes, staples, elements and features. Plus they cut out and gutted the game of any gameplay or options. You play throughout a 30 hour long hallway with 1 huge area. No exploration, everything is automated (even when you manually press a button to attack) and you can't even control any part members aside from the main.

FFXIII is devoid of content and features. Most importantly it is lacking gameplay, options and exploration. Therefore it does deserve all the hate and people should pass up on FFXIII-2.[/QUOTE]

With the way the battle system is it wouldn't work at all to control all three characters. Besides, it's incredibly easy to get the other two to do exactly what you want.

And I liked the linear areas. It helped with pacing and the problem a lot of RPG's have of not being clear where you're supposed to go.

[quote name='bshirk']Ever since a few game journalists started hating on Final Fantasy and other JRPGs, frequenters of such sites hopped on the bandwagon. Regardless, the haters are in the minority since FF13 is one of the best selling RPGs this console generation (beat Oblivion, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, and will probably only be eclipsed by Skyrim). Not saying that numbers mean everything, but clearly the haters are a small but vocal group.[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 2 I don't even consider a full RPG. It's more or less an action RPG, kind of. It does have a great RPG-ESQUE story, but not true gameplay elements. Dragon Age II was enjoyable to me too. I don't understand why people have to believe every game needs to be a game of the year contender to be worth money. I don't think trying something new at times hurts either. People complain things don't change, then they complain when they do. I was fine with the transformation from dragon age 1 - 2. FFXIII had it's place as a different paced Final fantasy game and I was fine with the end product. Millions agree.

"'People who don't like cats,' said Valancy, attacking her dessert with a relish, 'always seem to think there is some particular virtue in not liking them.'" - Blue Castle, Lucy Maud Montgomery

I think people who complain about the gameplay being automatic just don't really get the system or were playing only to move on and not to 5 star the battles. I found FFXIII the most strategic of the games. The sum total of my strategy in most Final Fantasy Games was over level and power through. I didn't mind the linearity of XIII but do look forward to the more expansive world they seem to have developed for this one.

I have preordered to support the game. I did report the price drop to amazon and hope they will price match.

[quote name='whoknows']With the way the battle system is it wouldn't work at all to control all three characters. Besides, it's incredibly easy to get the other two to do exactly what you want.

And I liked the linear areas. It helped with pacing and the problem a lot of RPG's have of not being clear where you're supposed to go.[/QUOTE]
True JRPG / FF fans don't give a **** about story if the gameplay is garbage. Not being clear where you're supposed to go? This is what's wrong with gaming nowadays. So many hand holding games these days that are made for casuals.

That is total BS that the battle system wouldn't work another way. The battle system worked for FF1-10, so they could change the battle system to be like that. I don't understand why you can't issue commands to each party member. I mean, Lost Oddyssey you can issue commands to each member. And LO is a current gen game, may i add.

Apologize if this is slightly off-topic, but what's the general feeling on the FF XIII-2 pre-order bonuses? I'm leaning towards going with Best Buy and their book, only because I'm thinking the DLC offered by Gamestop and Amazon will be available later on to download.

Thoughts?

[quote name='neuropunk']True JRPG / FF fans don't give a **** about story if the gameplay is garbage. Not being clear where you're supposed to go? This is what's wrong with gaming nowadays. So many hand holding games these days that are made for casuals.

That is total BS that the battle system wouldn't work another way. The battle system worked for FF1-10, so they could change the battle system to be like that. I don't understand why you can't issue commands to each party member. I mean, Lost Oddyssey you can issue commands to each member. And LO is a current gen game, may i add.[/QUOTE]

So if a game tells you what you're supposed to do/where to go it's for casual gamers? :lol:

And I like the battle system. It was a nice change and something that hasn't been done before.

[quote name='whoknows']So if a game tells you what you're supposed to do/where to go it's for casual gamers? :lol:

And I like the battle system. It was a nice change and something that hasn't been done before.[/QUOTE]

I've always hated the argument of linerty in RPGS. Look, no matter what game you play whether JRPGS, Western RPGS, Strat's, ETC; you always have to go to a certain location to a trigger an event. You have to go from place to place to move the story along anyway on a predetermined path. Some games have more to do then others; so be it. Usually after 45 hours I feel a game tends to grow a bit redundant on me.

[quote name='whoknows']Did I say something about the linearity in RPG's? I'm confused. :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

I was quoting you who was quoting the disgruntled guy up there. Seriously, we aren't entitled to anything as gamers and if we don't like something don't buy it. Why I have to sort threw pages in the beginning of bellyaching is beyond me.

[quote name='bshirk']Ever since a few game journalists started hating on Final Fantasy and other JRPGs, frequenters of such sites hopped on the bandwagon. Regardless, the haters are in the minority since FF13 is one of the best selling RPGs this console generation (beat Oblivion, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, and will probably only be eclipsed by Skyrim). Not saying that numbers mean everything, but clearly the haters are a small but vocal group.[/QUOTE]

Alot of people bought it when it came out not knowing of its flaws. Others bought it believing "it can't be as bad as people say", of which I was one. And I was wrong. Sales don't mean people liked it.

Ive bought every single FF on a main console on release day since the SNES days. Im skipping this one. Im done. Im sick of them getting progressively worse and worse and calling it a step forward.

Itll be a dub by june, maybe less. Screw SE. They are garbage now. I have enough backlog to last me a decade. One more bad game that ill force myself through a little later than normal wont kill me.

[quote name='neuropunk']True JRPG / FF fans don't give a **** about story if the gameplay is garbage. Not being clear where you're supposed to go? This is what's wrong with gaming nowadays. So many hand holding games these days that are made for casuals.

That is total BS that the battle system wouldn't work another way. The battle system worked for FF1-10, so they could change the battle system to be like that. I don't understand why you can't issue commands to each party member. I mean, Lost Oddyssey you can issue commands to each member. And LO is a current gen game, may i add.[/QUOTE]

u mad? Who are you to decide the definition of a "true JRPG/FF fan"? Like the poster mentioned, I don't mind linearity because of a more tighter narrative. Although Uncharted isn't a RPG, it's a good example of this concept.

$4.99 or bust for this kusoge.

"Wikipedia goes on to list four qualitative characteristics which can earn a game the kusoge label:
1. The game is boring or too easy and has little actual play value.
2. The game is ridiculously hard.
3. The game’s scenario or setting is badly conceived and inconsistent.
4. The game is not true to its genre, or makes excessive, forced use of other genres."

I haven't played it, but I imagine 3/4 these apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ff13 was ok. Which was not great for the series standard. I was not happy when just about two months after release, there was a chance to get the game at 20 bucks. Sometime these Japanese developer misjudge their sales projection and produce and ship their 'flagship' games at a very high volume. So when the initial shipment is way more than the demand, retailers will drop the prices to move the rest of the stock. I could remember ff13 and Tekken 6 comes to my mind. Tekken 6 was like 25-30 just about a month after release and their 150 bucks wireless stick edition was available for 50-60 bucks not too long after launch.

So as a gamer looking from the outside, I'll give it a chance but not at their full asking price of sixty bucks. One other thing i want to mention is, i played 13 on ps3 and 3sexy and cg Cutscenes on 3sexy was a little bit blurry compare to ps3 counterpart. So, go with ps3 version if you want the game. But I Assume there aren't gonna be a lot of cg cutscenes since this time 360 version also only comes in one disc

bread's done
Back