Final Fantasy XIII-2 Pre-Order $47.99 and free shipping @ Newegg

Anyone know if they are changing crap in this one? Specifically will there be a more open world and some exploration? I really want to like a Final Fantasy game again but they don't make it easy.

[quote name='Mad dog']Dude, you're fast.[/QUOTE]

Hah. I was watching some shitty anime and grateful for an excuse to pause it for a minute.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Anyone know if they are changing crap in this one? Specifically will there be a more open world and some exploration? I really want to like a Final Fantasy game again but they don't make it easy.[/QUOTE]

There's supposed to be more exploration than XIII at least. Other changes off the top of my head include quick time events for cinematic action sequences in battle, and a party system similar to something like Nocturne where you recruit enemies/monsters to fight for you.

I have the CE pre-ordered as well. Aside from XII (and the MMOs) I haven't played a FF I dislike, even if I like some more or less than others. I'm sure this one will be great as well even if not on par with some of the others in the franchise.

[quote name='sevenfold']Hah. I was watching some shitty anime and grateful for an excuse to pause it for a minute.

There's supposed to be more exploration than XIII at least. Other changes off the top of my head include quick time events for cinematic action sequences in battle, and a party system similar to something like Nocturne where you recruit enemies/monsters to fight for you.

I have the CE pre-ordered as well. Aside from XII (and the MMOs) I haven't played a FF I dislike, even if I like some more or less than others. I'm sure this one will be great as well even if not on par with some of the others in the franchise.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I forgot I had seen something about recruiting the monsters and maybe building their stat/abilities? I remember it seemed pretty cool. I guess I'll pre-order a CE and if it sucks I'll just get rid of it. Seems like I'll probably like it though from what little I've heard so far.

My situation, rather pay $28 more for DLC/4CD OST.

20% off + CA tax= lukewarm since 25% or B1G1half common

I wonder why they're doing some sort of Fringe alternate universe storyline(thats what this is right?) instead of doing a game centered around Fang and Vanille? At least your party isn't some sort of rock band this time around.

Why'd you guys bump the score up? I had it rated as 1/5 stars because of the first terrible hallway game. Terrible game was terrible, and while FFXIII-2 may have towns, it's still lacking in all the other traditional FF features, not to mention all the characters and story being super cheesy like a soap opera.

Anyhow, I recommend waiting until it hits the bargain bin of under $15. And when it does, I'm sure we'll see that deal marked here on CAG.

[quote name='neuropunk']Why'd you guys bump the score up? I had it rated as 1/5 stars because of the first terrible hallway game. Terrible game was terrible, and while FFXIII-2 may have towns, it's still lacking in all the other traditional FF features, not to mention all the characters and story being super cheesy like a soap opera.

Anyhow, I recommend waiting until it hits the bargain bin of under $15. And when it does, I'm sure we'll see that deal marked here on CAG.[/QUOTE]

You're suppose to rate the deal, not how much you enjoyed the game. People actually have different opinions and believe it or not, some of us actually liked FFXIII. Crazy, I know.

[quote name='shadowrage']I wonder why they're doing some sort of Fringe alternate universe storyline(thats what this is right?) instead of doing a game centered around Fang and Vanille? At least your party isn't some sort of rock band this time around.[/QUOTE]

Hmm? This literally takes places moments after the ending of the original. And I hope people realize that just because it simply isn't as liner anymore, doesn't mean you'll suddenly enjoy the FFXIII universe. If you didn't dig the first one, I'd be very weary here.

Have the CE already pre-ordered myself, but this is a good deal.

[quote name='mrniceguy8']You're suppose to rate the deal, not how much you enjoyed the game. People actually have different opinions and believe it or not, some of us actually liked FFXIII. Crazy, I know.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Hmm? This literally takes places moments after the ending of the original. And I hope people realize that just because it simply isn't as liner anymore, doesn't mean you'll suddenly enjoy the FFXIII universe. If you didn't dig the first one, I'd be very weary here.

Have the CE already pre-ordered myself, but this is a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I have the CE ordered too and am really looking forward to this. Story sucked on the first one, but i enjoyed the battle system, gorgeous visuals, and linearity (to an extent).

[quote name='mrniceguy8']You're suppose to rate the deal, not how much you enjoyed the game. People actually have different opinions and believe it or not, some of us actually liked FFXIII. Crazy, I know.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Well said.[/QUOTE]
Would you rate Imagine Party Babyz for Wii if it just came out for $13 less as 5 star?

Just because a bad game is cheap doesn't make it a good deal though, is my point.

[quote name='apokalypse']I have a quick question, is the omega pre-order bonus from amazon significant enough to make it a better deal in terms of value?[/QUOTE]

If they did release the Omega dlc later on,i would guess it would be around 400 MS points at most which is 5 bucks, and this preorder saves you 12 dollars... So i think this newegg preorder is the better deal cause free S&H and no tax...

I would love to know how rare the collector's edition is going to be. If it's not then we'll probably see it for 40 bucks a few months down the road, then again it could be limited and sell out. From what I heard the UK collector's edition was almost sold out already with pre-orders.

I have the collector's edition pre-ordered at Amazon but I don't know if I should keep it. As a CAG I'd be pissed if I could get it for 40 bucks less a few months later, especially when you consider my huge backlog and the fact that I haven't quite finished FFXIII yet. The thing is I'm a huge fan of Naoshi Mizuta, the FFXI music he did is some of my favorite game music ever (I still listen to The Sanctuary of Zi'tah like everyday), so I really want to get the 4-disc soundtrack and would be pissed if I missed out on it. Decisions, decisions....

I don't want to alarm anyone, but Final Fantasy 13-2 is the sequel to Final Fantasy 13.

I know, right!? I just saved you $48 and 20 hours of tutorials and horridly awkward soap opera style drama.

[quote name='neuropunk']Would you rate Imagine Party Babyz for Wii if it just came out for $13 less as 5 star?

Just because a bad game is cheap doesn't make it a good deal though, is my point.[/QUOTE]

One, I don't think I'd give a crap enough to go around and rate games I'm never going to play. Two, while FF13 was underwhelming I didn't think it was a bad game. Three, the deal (which is what you rate) is solid.

Just because you have a raging hate boner for the game doesn't make you right.

I really enjoy how people pass off opinion as fact. Do you really think anyone who disliked FF13 will buy FF13-2? Do you really need to come in here and "warn" people of their folly?

People love Madden games, I don't. Doesn't mean I should go into every Madden thread and bash the game. It's like people who get pissed at reviewers who rate a game lower then what they feel it deserves. They are OPINIONS, not fact.

Don't like the game? Don't buy it. If it is a new game I can see you trying to warn people who may not have heard about it or looked into it. But FF as a series is around 20 years old and FF13 is two years old. Plus, FF13-2 isn't even out yet. /rant

[quote name='Slowdance']I don't want to alarm anyone, but Final Fantasy 13-2 is the sequel to Final Fantasy 13.

I know, right!? I just saved you $48 and 20 hours of tutorials and horridly awkward soap opera style drama.[/QUOTE]

What, did you sign up for CAG just so you could troll? Some of us actually liked FF XIII. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sarcasm, but seriously....go back under your bridge unless you want to bring something of value to the site.

I for one have the CE pre-ordered from Amazon for the OST and the Omega DLC. I'd rather have it now with my CE than wait who knows how long for SE/MS to agree on a price/date for DLC, but this is a pretty good deal. Thanks for sharing, OP.

yes some of us actually enjoyed the first game....

i would go for this if it included the pre-order bonus. i really want the boss dlc thing so i guess i have to stick with amazon

havn't finished XIII yet but i'm going to go ahead and preorder this one. I liked the first one enough and this is a not too bad price as the game isn't even out yet

[quote name='darthmalice777']What, did you sign up for CAG just so you could troll? Some of us actually liked FF XIII. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sarcasm, but seriously....go back under your bridge unless you want to bring something of value to the site.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, christ. I realize I'm in the minority who actually liked FF13 and that's just fine, but the constant bitching and moaning every time someone has the nerve to post any FF-related deal got old a long time ago. It's like a contest to see who can cry the hardest about a game they didn't like. This must be what it's like to be a big fan of The Phantom Menace or something. :lol:

[quote name='neuropunk']not to mention all the characters and story being super cheesy like a soap opera.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... No different than every single other Final Fantasy.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, christ. I realize I'm in the minority who actually liked FF13 and that's just fine, but the constant bitching and moaning every time someone has the nerve to post any FF-related deal got old a long time ago. It's like a contest to see who can cry the hardest about a game they didn't like. This must be what it's like to be a big fan of The Phantom Menace or something. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hey I liked TPM. It was by no means a a top 3 SW movies, but I thought it was decent, but I am a SW nerd so whatever.

Also, OMG you played FF13 recently. You read that guys?! Get dem pitchforks ready, it's lynch mob time!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, christ. I realize I'm in the minority who actually liked FF13 and that's just fine, but the constant bitching and moaning every time someone has the nerve to post any FF-related deal got old a long time ago. It's like a contest to see who can cry the hardest about a game they didn't like. This must be what it's like to be a big fan of The Phantom Menace or something. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The FF deal rant threads are only rivaled by the HDMI cable threads where people crucify anyone that posts an HDMI cable that costs more than a penny per foot.

A lot of people enjoyed FF XIII. It doesn't have to be the greatest game ever or even the greatest Final Fantasy ever to be enjoyable. Like most things on the internet, though, there's a very vocal minority who think that if they whine loud enough and have the most "extreme" opinion on a subject they can convince everyone their opinion is representative of a larger group.

[quote name='darthmalice777']What, did you sign up for CAG just so you could troll? Some of us actually liked FF XIII. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sarcasm, but seriously....go back under your bridge unless you want to bring something of value to the site.

I for one have the CE pre-ordered from Amazon for the OST and the Omega DLC. I'd rather have it now with my CE than wait who knows how long for SE/MS to agree on a price/date for DLC, but this is a pretty good deal. Thanks for sharing, OP.[/QUOTE]

popcorn.gif

I liked XIII as well. Though part of me wishes they would release an hd remake of FFVII

[quote name='Vanacloud']If they did release the Omega dlc later on,i would guess it would be around 400 MS points at most which is 5 bucks, and this preorder saves you 12 dollars... So i think this newegg preorder is the better deal cause free S&H and no tax...[/QUOTE]

It is 240 MSP in Japan. I assume it will be the same once it is on the Marketplace here. I'm not getting the CE but I'm not sure that it is worth the difference to switch since I have amazon credit.

Odds are, Amazon will has just as good of a deal or better at some point and time. I member last year I got the Collector Gude for liek 15 bucks with shipping. Still have it to this day and plan on keeping. My fave. Guide I own.

For the peopel asking about the game, after reading about it in xbox magazine and other places. It will play a bit more like Star Ocean Last Hope. ( underrated IMO ) with the side quest and such. Which is a HUGE plus for me.

This game won't sell well though and a year from now it's gonna be considered an underrated game just because a lot of people wont even buy it for the fact of part one being so linear. I thought it was a good game and all but not really for a Final Fantasy....didn't seem like it was one really.

Having actually played ffxiii-2 (imported it) it is better then the first one. The story is subjective as some people might like it and some may hate it. The gameplay has improved though and you no longer have to wait for it to be fun. Its also a bit less melodramatic then the first one. Its not a corridor rpg either. Its still pretty linear compared to something like skyrim but its definetly not as bad as ffxiii was. I imported it because I thought it would be pretty bad so I was intrigued by how bad it would be but its surprised me and its pretty fun and better then I thought it would be.
Also note that I hated the first one except the battle system and I thought it was overly dramatic as well.

i have the collector's edition preordered on amazon, but im debating whether to order this instead. 4disc ost... ill rip that to FLAC and never touch the discs again... what else comes in the limited edition? would be nice if it also came with that book best buy preorders get. ill probly preorder this from newegg as well and cancel one of them before ship date...

and for people who are going thru amazon for the omega dlc: in JAPAN they are giving omega for free from this week til like jan 7 or something. dont know if theyll do something similar here or not though...

[quote name='IndelibleSin']i have the collector's edition preordered on amazon, but im debating whether to order this instead. 4disc ost... ill rip that to FLAC and never touch the discs again... what else comes in the limited edition? would be nice if it also came with that book best buy preorders get. ill probly preorder this from newegg as well and cancel one of them before ship date...[/QUOTE]

With the CE, you get fancy packaging, a 4-disc soundtrack, and 20-page artbook pamphlet.

fdYtw.jpg

Amazon: For $76 (GoldBox discount, no tax) with Omega DLC
Best Buy: $86.50 (~8% tax assumed) with hardcover book (the actual story has already been fan-translated here)
GameStop: $86.50 (~8% tax assumed) with alternate costume DLC

So let's take a look at Newegg's offering...

Newegg: For $48 (no tax), regular edition -- No bonuses

So, it basically comes down to

"Are the CE contents & retailer bonus worth $28/$38?"

I'm still struggling with that question myself.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']With the CE, you get fancy packaging, a 4-disc soundtrack, and 20-page artbook pamphlet.

fdYtw.jpg

Best Buy: $86.50 (~8% tax assumed) with hardcover book (the actual story has already been fan-translated here)

I'm still struggling with that question myself.[/QUOTE]I'm not sure how much work it'd take, but you could sell the art book, the soundtrack, and/or the retailer bonus to at least make up that difference (Amazon would be better/easier than eBay):

Art book: $20
Soundtrack: $30 (physical FF soundtracks are a rarity over here, so you could get away with this value minimum)
Best Buy hardcover book: $20 (not everyone is aware that it's been translated)

If you did that, then by your example you'd end up with the game in the CE packaging for under $20, possibly less if the DLC preorder bonuses end up being valuable.

Personally, I'm getting the CE from Best Buy (I've loved FF my entire life, I enjoyed FFXIII, and I've heard fantastic things about this game's soundtrack), but I wish there was a way to know if the preorder DLCs will be offered to others at a later date. It'd make my decision easier, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkSageRK']With the CE, you get fancy packaging, a 4-disc soundtrack, and 20-page artbook pamphlet.

fdYtw.jpg

I'm still struggling with that question myself.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting this deal plus the $20 Collector's Edition guide on Amazon. $67 for the game and a hardcover guide seems like the best deal to me. I want the DLC but not that bad.

Also should be noted that the guide has its own artwork section.

[quote name='sevenfold']A lot of people enjoyed FF XIII. It doesn't have to be the greatest game ever or even the greatest Final Fantasy ever to be enjoyable. Like most things on the internet, though, there's a very vocal minority who think that if they whine loud enough and have the most "extreme" opinion on a subject they can convince everyone their opinion is representative of a larger group.[/QUOTE]

this guy said it best.

anyway i might jump on this deal.

fdYtw.jpg

I'm still struggling with that question myself.[/QUOTE]
ah thanks, id never seen that picture before. it does look pretty. hmm... still i cant say im sure i want the collectors... would be a no brainer if it included all the preorder bonuses...

oh and thanks for the link to the translated story. seems super short for a hardcover book. might it be filled with pretty pictures? although i guess if its a preorder bonus it must be pretty minimal.

as for the DLC im pretty sure theyll sell it eventually. in japan theyre already giving the omega dlc for free and then will sell it later as well as 2 other dlc coming out right after that. so they have plans for dlc already and theyll probly sell it the week the game comes out.

bread's done
Back