Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']are there really no towns to explore? o_O[/QUOTE]

Not in the traditional sense, no. It wouldn't make any sense given the narrative.

[quote name='Draekon']Each one varies on accessories. As for weapons it's something like:

Tier 1 - Level 26
Tier 2 - Level 61 (But starts at 18 or something)
Tier 3 - Level 100 (Stars at ???)

On a side note, got my first Trapezohedron.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck!!!!!!!?
:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Thought I'd devote a new desktop to this game :D, there's some amazing concept art out there.

ffxiiitop.jpg

[quote name='KingBroly']What the fuck!!!!!!!?
:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:[/QUOTE]

It's not that bad actually and accessories are generally low level to star out and some of them don't need it. It just sucks farming post-game for Trapazohedrons and/or gil.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm about 7 hours into Chapter 11, and I still think I'm pretty weak :([/QUOTE]

If you haven't found out already, chapter 11 is larger than first appears. You've probably missed a few zones all together. :p

I've been to
4 zones in Chapter 11 so far. The first area, the first large area; the second area that led me to Oirba (which was near a Warp Cieth stone), and a cave system, which is where I'm at now

[quote name='KingBroly']I've been to
4 zones in Chapter 11 so far. The first area, the first large area; the second area that led me to Oirba, and a cave system, which is where I'm at now
.[/QUOTE]

All I can say is that if you get stuck anywhere, feel free to backtrack. Just try and grab any waypoint missions so you can teleport around easier though. I doubt you've found one yet, but
so long as you've done the first two missions or so, you should find your first one soon.

I've found 4 of them, and I've done 3 of them. I didn't do the other one because
Kaiser Behemoth? Behemoth King kicks my ass enough right now thank you very much.

[quote name='KingBroly']I've found 4 of them, and I've done 3 of them. I didn't do the other one because
Kaiser Behemoth? Behemoth King kicks my ass enough right now thank you very much.
[/QUOTE]

You never know until you try. For all you know, it could be weaker. :p

That wasn't the second mission I was talking about though, but that's a waypoint one for sure.

I've done all the Lower level Missions. I'm missing...#7 I think. I still need to get 5 stars on Mission 2, but I think I'll go back and do those later.

i dont have voice (speech) sounds from the fmv's. and i barely get speech during normal non full time events. anyone else have this problem? suggestions?

i noticed that my characters' voice would move and nothing comes out. I had to turn on subtitles to get whats going on. Subtitles confirmed that I'm not getting dialogue.

[quote name='enufs8d']i dont have voice (speech) sounds from the fmv's. and i barely get speech during normal non full time events. anyone else have this problem? suggestions?

i noticed that my characters' voice would move and nothing comes out. I had to turn on subtitles to get whats going on. Subtitles confirmed that I'm not getting dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried unplugging and plugging back in whatever you are using for (HDMI, optical or RCA) cables?

I'm grinding the shit outta my dudes in Ch. 9, right outside the ship. Did anyone else do this, do you think it'll make the upcoming boss fights easier? I've heard they can get be incredibly frustrating.

Is it possible to
Re-do Missions 21-23 at any point? I'd hate to not be able to get 5-stars on one of those missions, causing me to miss out on Platinum.

you can redo all 64 missions, yes. after you finish mission 64, you get an item (gold watch?) that lengthens the time requirements for the missions, making 5-starring easier.

but mission 64 is hard as fuck.

[quote name='spoo']Have you tried unplugging and plugging back in whatever you are using for (HDMI, optical or RCA) cables?[/QUOTE]

i have sounds for everything else (psn start up, game music, game movies during full time events, combat sounds, voice during nonfull time events, etc).

[quote name='KingBroly']Is it possible to
Re-do Missions 21-23 at any point? I'd hate to not be able to get 5-stars on one of those missions, causing me to miss out on Platinum.
[/QUOTE]

I banged my head against them while I was first in there and got 5s... would've been nice to know but whatever :p

Turtles hurt pretty bad... I'm not looking forward to grinding CP for everyone's 3 secondary classes :(

Chp 9's endboss is a bitch only since it can cast Doom WAAAAAAAY before it's humanly possible to kill him even through a full stagger. Other times... he doesn't cast it at all.

Can some one fill me in on how long the game is? I'm sorry can't really throw out what chapter I'm on. I just got done reuniting my entire party though and escaping in a little ship that seemingly crashed into a building only for me and my team to end up underground in some tunnels or some shit.

Now, I have it on xbox and am about 22 hours in. I'm on the 3rd disc though which has me thinking, "WTF?!" Are there any side quests? And are there ultimate weapons?

Also, any tips and tricks as to which items and weapons are the best to upgrade would be nice. The only items I have bothered to upgrade at this point has been the black belt, and lightning's starting sword.

One thing I don't like about the game is that even though you are presented with the option of using whatever characters you want. Only certain combinations of characters give you access to all the job types. For instance, I'd like to use Lightning, Fang, and Vanille, but then I don't have a synergyst on my team!

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I banged my head against them while I was first in there and got 5s... would've been nice to know but whatever :p

Turtles hurt pretty bad... I'm not looking forward to grinding CP for everyone's 3 secondary classes :(

Chp 9's endboss is a bitch only since it can cast Doom WAAAAAAAY before it's humanly possible to kill him even through a full stagger. Other times... he doesn't cast it at all.[/QUOTE]

I actually managed to get 5-stars on every Mission in there. I only restarted once (right after I posted because I wasn't sure). At 43+ hours, I am at the middle (?) part of
Oerba Village
. I figure it'll take me 60-65 hours to beat the game. I'm almost at max with 3 classes for every character. Sazh is there and gaining free CP, Lightning is next, followed by Snow, Vanille, Hope and finally Fang, who basically needs 100,000 CP to get to max before the end of the chapter.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Can some one fill me in on how long the game is? I'm sorry can't really throw out what chapter I'm on. I just got done reuniting my entire party though and escaping in a little ship that seemingly crashed into a building only for me and my team to end up underground in some tunnels or some shit.

Now, I have it on xbox and am about 22 hours in. I'm on the 3rd disc though which has me thinking, "WTF?!" Are there any side quests? And are there ultimate weapons?

Also, any tips and tricks as to which items and weapons are the best to upgrade would be nice. The only items I have bothered to upgrade at this point has been the black belt, and lightning's starting sword.

One thing I don't like about the game is that even though you are presented with the option of using whatever characters you want. Only certain combinations of characters give you access to all the job types. For instance, I'd like to use Lightning, Fang, and Vanille, but then I don't have a synergyst on my team![/QUOTE]

If you cut through the game and avoid all the side missions (which you will get to soon), you can beat the game in under 50 hours. Otherwise you're looking at a much, much longer game.

@RichMeisterMan
thats why Lightning + Fang + Hope = best party in the game, you get access to every class.

Plus, Lightning + Fang are the best commandos, Hope & Lightning are the best ravagers, and Hope & Lightning are great medics too.

The problem I have with Lightning as Medic is that her windup is SO SLOW. With Hope or Vanille it's instantaneous.

I just got to Chapter 12
HOLY SHIT WHAT A CUTSCENE!!!
. The Chapter 11 boss was a pretty fun fight, even though I only got 3 Stars on it. A question regarding my previous spoiler
Was that a blu-ray logo I spotted on one of those racers? I think it was.
. I'm around 45 hours into the game right now.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Can some one fill me in on how long the game is? I'm sorry can't really throw out what chapter I'm on. I just got done reuniting my entire party though and escaping in a little ship that seemingly crashed into a building only for me and my team to end up underground in some tunnels or some shit.

One thing I don't like about the game is that even though you are presented with the option of using whatever characters you want. Only certain combinations of characters give you access to all the job types. For instance, I'd like to use Lightning, Fang, and Vanille, but then I don't have a synergyst on my team![/QUOTE]

Little do you know, Fang and Vanille are the only two people who can get Bravera and Faithra which are fucking amazing!

[quote name='IRHari']@RichMeisterMan
thats why Lightning + Fang + Hope = best party in the game, you get access to every class.

Plus, Lightning + Fang are the best commandos, Hope & Lightning are the best ravagers, and Hope & Lightning are great medics too.[/QUOTE]

I just don't like Hope though. :whistle2:/

[quote name='KingBroly']The problem I have with Lightning as Medic is that her windup is SO SLOW. With Hope or Vanille it's instantaneous.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. I've played a few times and found myself saying, "CAST FASTER, BITCH!" She'll have full bars but like her arm movement is slow and seems to slow down casting!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I know exactly what you mean. I've played a few times and found myself saying, "CAST FASTER, BITCH!" She'll have full bars but like her arm movement is slow and seems to slow down casting![/QUOTE]

It only gets worse when they get Curasa and Curaja and yet they still cast Cure and Cura instead even though they take up the same amount of ATB. Then there are other times when the rest of your party is effected with Daze/Pain/Fog and yet the healer refuses to cast Ensuna unless everybody is in green health at the moment they begin their next turn.

Oh and there are a few sidequests available in chapter 11, but they aren't much other than the hunts/missions. As for Ultimate Weapons, yeah, everybody has them and they each require you to level up their tier 1 weapons to tier 3, which will take some random catalyst to get to tier 2 and then a Trapezohedron to tier 3 which rarely drops from an Adamantortoise/Adamantoise/Long Gui or can be bought for 2 million gil. Then to top things off, getting enough money to buy one is basically from the same enemy, which doesn't drop Platinum Ingots often enough.

[quote name='Draekon']It only gets worse when they get Curasa and Curaja and yet they still cast Cure and Cura instead even though they take up the same amount of ATB. Then there are other times when the rest of your party is effected with Daze/Pain/Fog and yet the healer refuses to cast Ensuna unless everybody is in green health at the moment they begin their next turn.

Oh and there are a few sidequests available in chapter 11, but they aren't much other than the hunts/missions. As for Ultimate Weapons, yeah, everybody has them and they each require you to level up their tier 1 weapons to tier 3, which will take some random catalyst to get to tier 2 and then a Trapezohedron to tier 3 which rarely drops from an Adamantortoise/Adamantoise/Long Gui or can be bought for 2 million gil. Then to top things off, getting enough money to buy one is basically from the same enemy, which doesn't drop Platinum Ingots often enough.[/QUOTE]

Curasa and Curaja heal for more when your party members are very low on health, Cure/Cura heal more than them and are more efficient at 50%+ish. The AI heavily favors Cure/Cura over the other two, but it WILL cast the more powerful spell in most cases.

You just never see the AI chain Curajas together since by the time the first one goes off, the target's health would be way higher and thus Cure would be better. I've seen Hope start off with a Curaja though, numerous times when Fang (SEN) dipped low or something to that effect.

What they don't do (AI and Auto) is cast the AoE heals enough. After going Combat Clinic from taking an ultimate move of a boss, both medics will start casting 5 Cures on single targets which... eh. Not that efficient in terms of health/second.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Curasa and Curaja heal for more when your party members are very low on health, Cure/Cura heal more than them and are more efficient at 50%+ish. The AI heavily favors Cure/Cura over the other two, but it WILL cast the more powerful spell in most cases.

You just never see the AI chain Curajas together since by the time the first one goes off, the target's health would be way higher and thus Cure would be better. I've seen Hope start off with a Curaja though, numerous times when Fang (SEN) dipped low or something to that effect.

What they don't do (AI and Auto) is cast the AoE heals enough. After going Combat Clinic from taking an ultimate move of a boss, both medics will start casting 5 Cures on single targets which... eh. Not that efficient in terms of health/second.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I already know the trigger points for how they cast each one, but they still drive me crazy regardless. Could get started on the whole auto-battle thing with AoE's when you don't want them and they don't when you do want them. Then if you were to do it manually, it would be too late trying to find the correct spell out of your abilities list.

I should probably write a review of this detailing everything. It would probably be easier for me.

is there any point in the game where you can actually "grind" the only section I found that I could properly do so was in
I believe Chapter 4 or 5 where Hope and Lighting are past the vile peaks and in that facility where if you go up and down the "elevators" the enemies all re-spawn and the leeches give a good 120 CP per battle

are there any parts after Chapter 8 or 9 where I can do the same? Also I'm in the part where
where Lighting, Fang, Hope and Snowall board the ship to save Vanille and Sazh" my last save point was where you're outside the ship looking for another way in and there's a bunch of those mini-robots on the catwalks

[quote name='xCappax']is there any point in the game where you can actually "grind" the only section I found that I could properly do so was in
I believe Chapter 4 or 5 where Hope and Lighting are past the vile peaks and in that facility where if you go up and down the "elevators" the enemies all re-spawn and the leeches give a good 120 CP per battle

are there any parts after Chapter 8 or 9 where I can do the same?[/QUOTE]

The best place to grind honestly, is Chapter 11. I wouldn't worry about gil until post-game. The next best, but only available while you're there, is chapter 13 in the area where each fight gives you like 32k CP each.

[quote name='Draekon']The best place to grind honestly, is Chapter 11. I wouldn't worry about gil until post-game. The next best, but only available while you're there, is chapter 13 in the area where each fight gives you like 32k CP each.[/QUOTE]

so you suggest just waiting until Chapter 11? Is there any specific part or will I just know when I get to it?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I banged my head against them while I was first in there and got 5s... would've been nice to know but whatever :p

Chp 9's endboss is a bitch only since it can cast Doom WAAAAAAAY before it's humanly possible to kill him even through a full stagger. Other times... he doesn't cast it at all.[/QUOTE]

He casts Doom? I must've been damn lucky. It only took me two tries to beat him, but he never cast Doom.

I'm up to Chapter 10, and I haven't really grinded too much. Seems like the best place to do that is Chapter 11 anyway.

Also found what seems to be a decent weapon upgrade guide. So far the only thing I've upgraded is Lightning's Gladius to Helter Skelter. Still a ways to go before tier 3.

Meh, I'll throw together an accessory/weapon guide really quick based off of the guide. Should be simple and will probably finish it by the end of the day.

[quote name='xCappax']so you suggest just waiting until Chapter 11? Is there any specific part or will I just know when I get to it?[/QUOTE]

If you're just doing it to progress through the story and want maxed out Crystarium, just do missions or farm the two enemies near the exit of the Archlyte Steppe on your way through the story. If you're doing it for any other reason, don't bother until post-game. There's no point in saving CP for it as you can get a growth egg for x2 CP gain and the max is 999,999... which isn't much at all.

Was
Barthandalus
the one everyone is saying is hard at the end of Chap9? He actually seemed fairly easy to me, other than his big charge attack taking Lightning down to about 60hp making me cringe every time, really didn't want to have to redo a 20min boring fight like that again.

[quote name='halfbent']Was
Barthandalus
the one everyone is saying is hard at the end of Chap9? He actually seemed fairly easy to me, other than his big charge attack taking Lightning down to about 60hp making me cringe every time, really didn't want to have to redo a 20min boring fight like that again.[/QUOTE]

I had a slight problem with it and many others do. I died once from
killing off two or three heads and then suddenly one of the spell AoE's completely killed off everybody at once with some stupidly high number (never saw a number like that again from him...). The other two times were from the large laser and one was from Doom.

Yeah, basically it was unnecessarily long with a possibility of getting Doomed to death after a XX minute long fight. His ultimate move shouldn't have brought you that low unless 1. you weren't topped, 2. you didn't switch to a paradigm with a SEN in it...

Here's a quick basic page thrown together to give an idea of what to expect when I finish this. Doing this more for a friend so I don't have to loan him my guide when I loan him my game, but if anybody has any input on theme/colors or anything else, I may change/add it. Thinking of taking off Increment since it's kindof pointless.

Yeah, I'd always top off as he was charging (Light only has about 1.1khp atm) with a COM/MED/SEN role. I can definitely see where the problems could come from him tho.

[quote name='Rodimus']I think I'm about to fight the Chapter 9 boss that everyone is going crazy about. Any suggested teams or paradigims?[/QUOTE]

Eh, just give it a shot or two with how you think it should be done and if that doesn't work the tips are:

1) Destructo takes a while to fire.
2) Switch to Sentinel when it does it Destructo shot. (This can make the battle take too long)

or

1) Deal enough damage during Destructo shot and it'll go "Ugh!" and the shot will be lessened by half as well as temporarily postponed to take longer.

I just reached Chapter 13. I'm at 48:49:53 right now. The amount of HP some of these enemies now have is absolutely ABSURD, and the bad part is if I want to grind there aren't any stronger enemies out there where I can get a lot of CP quick. I assume Chapter 13 is going to be pretty short as I beat 12 in about 4 hours.

32k CP in 2 minutes + ~1 running back and forth in Chapter 13. You should cap out all 3 major classes + stock 999,999 before you finish the end boss. Farming there for secondary classes is kind of overkill, should do that after you get Growth Egg but it's your call.

bread's done
Back