Final Fantasy XIII -- Review (my first!)

Great review on your part.

Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of FFXIII, its becoming more and more difficult to play. The changes are refreshing, yet disappointing at the same time. Most of the time I catch myself idly browsing the forums when I'm mashing 'x' in longer fights. The actual game-play bits are far too cinematic because of the fast paced, stream-lined mechanics that are supposed to keep it exciting. Paradigm shifts add a little variety of the action, but most of the time I feel like I'm just pulling a lever between dishing out damage and 'Oh shit, I'm dying now'. The story is enjoyable at times, though the only character I really find myself caring about is Sazh.

Its pretty, interesting, and boring all at the same time.

The easier fights for the first 10 or so hours of the game really are just teaching you how each role works and how to handle different kinds of enemies. It is streamlined, and more adept gamers may not be all that entertained with watching cooldowns and stylish combos against easy encounters. And if the narrative and setting aren't pulling you in during these encounters either, it can be even more painful.

I'm not sure how far you are but compared to the first half of the game, the 2nd half is much more intense in terms of battle mechanics.

Hope you find some enjoyment in it later. It is a tough game to widely recommend though.

Great first review Panzerfaust! One bit of constructive criticism from a fellow reviewer on CAG. Put your pictures in your albums, then link them here. That way they won't be as big as they are right now. The way they are now cuts up the flow of the review and takes readers attention away during important parts.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The easier fights for the first 10 or so hours of the game really are just teaching you how each role works and how to handle different kinds of enemies. It is streamlined, and more adept gamers may not be all that entertained with watching cooldowns and stylish combos against easy encounters. And if the narrative and setting aren't pulling you in during these encounters either, it can be even more painful.

I'm not sure how far you are but compared to the first half of the game, the 2nd half is much more intense in terms of battle mechanics.

Hope you find some enjoyment in it later. It is a tough game to widely recommend though.[/QUOTE]

I just defeated
Barthandelus on the Palamecia
, which has so far been the only fight that I've had any real issue with. I believe I gave it about eight tries before I was able to complete it, and once I figured out the routine it wasn't very involving at that point. I do have to say though, that most of my failures were because I have not yet upgraded or even managed my parties equipment seriously at any point. Until recently, the only thing that I have upgraded was some sword to increase my healing for Lightning. Vanille, my frequent main healer, kept taking one shots from the boss because of her low HP.

I did stop shortly after that, once I got my ass handed to me by two common enemies that were resistant to just about everything, because I was too tired to continue after the loooooong boss battle.

I really have no clue on how deep I am into the game. I've pretty much avoided any kind of spoiler since at this point, it feels like the story and boss battles are the only redeeming qualities the game unless the regular gameplay picks up a bit. I'd like to be considering strategy rather than just watching HP gauges to make my paradigm decisions. In addition to that, the more recent twists have made me question the plot, motivations seem convoluted or pointless. It feels a little bit disappointing that I need to rely on the supplemental materials to really grasp why some one is doing something or understand WTF is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review! I've been waiting for this game for so long. I can't get it yet though since my PS3 is broken. Just when I thought nothing could be better than the last final fantasy this came out... amazing!
o.gif

Really nice review dude! I´m still on the edge of buying this game and your review just didn´t make the decission easier. The good parts sound so great, but 20h before it even really begins? I hate to be put "on hold". I guess i give it a try after the sommer - then it´s cheap and i can have it gather dust if i don´t like it (like so many times after FFVII).

Haha yeah this is a tough call to make for a lot of RPG gamers. If it helps, I'd like to clarify that the game doesn't suddenly get good at 20 hours in -- it's a great game throughout. It's just the customization options are very light for most of the game, and even when it "opens up" it's still a very stream-lined RPG.

If that kind of linearity doesn't sound appealing, I'd save the money. But if you don't mind being tugged along, you'll find that it's actually a really well paced and fun experience that will keep you engaged every step of the way.

Nice review for your first time. I own FFXIII for 360 and it is a great game. Especially since the 360 is kind of lacking in the rpg department for good titles. My only disappointment in FXIII was the inability to free roam and side quest until almost the end of the game. I felt that really hurt the experience as a whole.

Great first review, think you really nailed it. XIII is certainly not for everyone and has its flaws, but there's still a lot to like if it suits your gaming taste. I hardly cared about the story/characters, but the scenery/environment and awesome battle system more than made up for it. Took about 90 hours to get my platinum.

somone who understands... different isn't necessary bad. This game really isn't for kids or people with problems (like woulden't play this becasue it did not have the familiar victory tune) great review!

nice review! i've recently begun, about 3 hours in and that's because i've been drooling over the graphics/scenery. looking forward towards progressing.

[quote name='panzerfaust']In a time where there seems to be a severe lack of heavy hitting RPGs from the land of the rising sun, Final Fantasy XIII finally makes it's debut in the West. But is it as special as its attention-seeking title makes it out to be? Or is it yet another disappointment?

Citizens of Cocoon

Taking on the Final Fantasy tradition of being a completely different game with a new setting, characters and plot, XIII brings the player to an extremely imaginative world filled with elements of both science-fiction and fantasy. Here, the human populace resides in a planet like structure called Cocoon, floating above the feared world of Pulse. When an entity from Pulse somehow finds itself inside a city of Cocoon, all hell breaks loose as the military tries to quarantine and "evacuate" all civilians who may have come in contact with the Pulse being.

Beginning on a thrilling train ride into the heart of the conflict, the story of Final Fantasy XIII can easily captivate your interest with it's highly original narrative and its colorful cast of characters. The battle hardened, pink haired lead character, Lightning, is bound to be a favorite heroine of many gamers -- but as the rest of the cast is given just as much attention to their individuality, there's a good chance most players will enjoy connecting with at least one of the characters on some level. The plot itself is fast-paced, ambiguous, and at times both the characters and player will feel confused and left out. However, this feeling of being lost is what makes the entire adventure so gratifying at its end, as it is hard not to appreciate how the game wraps everything up.

872096-ss_preview_ff13novojpg_super.jpg

There are plenty of action scenes but the way the
characters interact with each other is what really steals the show

The English voice overs are for the most part very well done, but dialogue itself is often on the heavy side assisted with the frequent use of corny lines. While some of the lines have the potential to make some wince, the voice actors deliver them with the appropriate levels of emotion, uncovering some truly powerful moments between characters as the compelling narrative takes its shape. Those familiar with the dubbing of Japanese animated cartoons will easily tolerate the superior voice work of XIII, otherwise it can take some getting used to. Nonetheless, listening to what the characters are trying to express goes a long way in taking in this heart touching tale of characters, many of whom hate each other at first, but must come together to figure out what exactly their purpose is in a world that no longer wants them.

The Train Ride

Final Fantasy XIII hosts an interesting and risky design that some may refer to as being an "on-rails" RPG. Much of the game involves the player running the characters from point A to point B, encountering enemies along the way and progressing the narratives at the frequent interruption of top-notch, movie cutscenes. Assisting this method of story telling is the casual chatter between characters regarding the current situation as you travel about, as well as exclusive in-battle dialogue that keeps things relevant, and personal.

The options to get off this linear train ride are extremely limited for the first 20 or so hours of the game. Full party, gear and character customization options are introduced at a slow pace before finally opening up to its more satisfying ends.

932981_20090415_790screen003-640x.jpg

The paths you can take may be limited but the locales it takes you
through helps keep the adventure alive

Often assigning you the roles of different characters throughout the game, the design does a fine job of introducing the play-styles of the other party members by forcing you to use them. It also really helps progress the narrative by getting the player more acquainted with the perspectives of individual characters and understanding their plights at a comfortable pace in an otherwise frantic story line. There is no traditional town exploring as the narrative doesn't really allow it, shopping and upgrading are done at save points, and NPC interaction is largely absent. This all makes Final Fantasy XIII a very simplified RPG experience, where its goal is to hold your hand through linear pathways in hopes that you will be more impressed with how the narrative directs the flow of the game, as opposed to the player himself. If this all sound off-putting to you, it might be safe to assume Final Fantasy XIII isn't a RPG for you.

Soldier Girl

Perhaps the freshest aspect of Final Fantasy XIII is it's combat system, pitting you against the wide variety of enemies you encounter on your journey. They come in all shapes and sizes, with designs ranging from intimidating to flat out ridiculousness.

final-fantasy-xiii-dlc-screenshot.jpg

Summons are cooler then ever as are their cheesy,
yet awesome, over the top entrances.

Being able to see foes before engaging them sometimes allows room to walk past them if desired, or perhaps getting the upper hand by sneaking up on them for a preemptive strike. Once engaged, the game transitions to a battle screen and the fight begins. Those familiar with previous Final Fantasy's will recognize many familiar spells and abilities along with the reoccurring "ATB" gauge -- but that's where the similarities stop, as XIII is an entirely different animal of a game.

As one the biggest departures from the battle design of many Final Fantasy titles, only one party member is allowed to be controlled (the party leader), and upon that character losing the last of his or her hit points, the battle is lost. Upon losing a fight (and you will likely die to many tough encounters until figuring out the best approach), you have the option to "Retry." This option allows you to make critical tweaks to your party's makeup before attempting the fight again. While sometimes challenging, the game progresses at an appropriate pace so that all challenges are surmountable -- although you are more then free to go back and grind out some extra power to make yourself more capable.

Final Fantasy XIII is turnbased in the sense that every combatant is on a cool down -- they have to wait until their time gauge fills up before acting. As it fills, the player can choose a string of actions they wish their character to perform in sequence (i.e. "Fire Fire Blizzard Sparkstrike"). An Auto option will string together a list of attacks for you depending on the situation, and there's really only a few places where you will feel the need to choose them yourself. The A.I. that controls your other party members acts out in a similar manner. Rest assured, there are more important things to be worried about during a fight, making the auto option a blessing as opposed to being something that plays the game for you.

Most often the goal of battle is to link attacks properly to fill your opponent's "chain gauge" until it "staggers", at which point it will take increased damage. Forget to attack the same unit frequently enough, and the gauge will empty -- making you attempt the process again. This makes being able to execute an only partially filled gauge of attacks very handy in keeping your progress on enemies healthy.

ff13battle.jpg

Losing the party leader in a battle results in instant defeat, but the convenient "Retry"
option is always at hand for you to use.

Once introduced to the Paradigm system, the ability to change the roles of your party members at any time (before or during battle) presents a wide range of strategic opportunities, and the game's large variety of enemies call for your fingers to be at the ready in order to switch up your approach on a fight at any moment. Going all out with two spell caster roles and a melee fighter may seem right at one moment, but finding that you suddenly need to switch them to healers and a defender to survive at the next moment is one of many situations that make Final Fantasy XIII's combat intense and tactical, which shines its brightest during the game's epic boss encounters.

As said before however, much of the first half of the game has you using limited versions of characters and the system can seem a bit slow compared to its thrilling nature in the 2nd half of the game. But thanks to the game's delicate introduction to the mechanics, once your options are all accounted for you'll know exactly how to use the system to its full potential.

A larger, more mentionable flaw of it all though is that some enemies may present more a battle of patience rather than one of interest. This can make guarded treasures frustrating to obtain because while you may crave them and know very well you can conquer the foe protecting it, the fact that the fight ahead contains nothing but a 5+ minute routine can be very off putting. The slow opening up of the system also puts a damper on replaying the game, as you already know the ins and outs and just want to get to the full experience.

Gunblades and Boomerangs

As with the narrative and battle system, the leveling aspect of Final Fantasy XIII is also introduced to the player at a controlled pace. Each character can develop their skills and stats through a colorful grid system called the Crystarium. Earning Cystarium Points after every battle allows players to freely choose what roles they'd like their characters to advance through. Unless looking to go out of your way to farm more points, it's optimal to specialize your characters in the areas the game originally sets them towards, as you won't have enough CP to flesh out all of their trees. Depending on how points are spent, each party member will at least be solidly trained in 2-3 roles, ready to switch between them instantaneously at the player's command.

The number of options a player can choose from when developing their party is also limited for much of the game, often leaving you waiting for a big boss encounter to unlock the further levels of available trees. The feeling of progression is there but as with the rest of the game's design, the opportunities to express individuality are limited for much of the game.

In addition to stats and abilities, accessories and weapons also can be upgraded with junk you pick up off fallen enemies. Once introduced, this can be done at any save point (which are very frequent), along with any of your shopping needs. It's an expensive process and while helpful, it's much more powerful towards the later portions of the game. Weapons you will find aren't always an immediate upgrade to what you currently wield, in fact you may prefer a certain item for a long period of the game depending on how you've focused your Crystarium.

Fantasy

wallpaper-451714.jpg

The beautiful art direction of this game is apparent at every turn

Final Fantasy XIII is arguably one of the prettiest games to ever grace the hands of gamers -- if not by technical standards then definitely by aesthetic ones. Its art is brilliantly imaginative, and character design is both creative and beautifully simple, with the battle animations being especially cool. Characters move and pace around the battle field before unleashing their dazzling combos, making combat just as enjoyable to watch as it is to control. Environments also give a great sense of immersion in the fantastical world the game takes place in, and while you may be on a set path, the game makes sure to give you the best camera angles over the rich landscapes, futuristic cities, and the rugged caves you'll be passing through. All this while accompanied by one of the highest of quality soundtracks, featuring epic orchestrated pieces, jazz, catchy beats, and heart pounding battle themes, Final Fantasy XIII is truly an experience to take in -- and a masterful definition of "fantasy."

Conclusion

Slicing straight through this game still leaves you with a womping 45-50 hour experience, and with the plethora of hunting missions that become available and new, optional areas to explore that amount of game time can easily double.

Its gorgeous presentation, tactical gameplay, memorable characters and captivating narrative are enough to make this title one of the finest and most unique RPGs to be released on the PS3 and 360. However, while Final Fantasy XIII bleeds quality, it's departure from traditions and limited nature in both exploration and customization may keep many from wanting to take up the journey.

Narrative and Characters:

Corny dialogue doesn't keep this extremely imaginative and original tale at bay, and the characters are full of emotional depth.

Progressive Design:

Really makes sure the player sees each character fully realized in both the story and within the gameplay. Each aspect of the game is introduced at a steady pace, but the slow introduction of mechanics can hurt the initial re-playability of the game.

Battle System:

Stylish and dazzling, Final Fantasy XIII's system is fresh and provides plenty of tactical (and challenging) action throughout the entire length of the game. However, The occasional enemy can be more of an endurance test as opposed to good fun, and the introduction of all the mechanics that makes the system so enjoyable is also brought about in a steady, but slower than optimal manner.

Aesthetics:

The definition of fantasy, gorgeous visuals and creative character design accompanied by a brilliant soundtrack make for a memorable experience.

Love it or Hate it: WARNING

Its melodramatic dialogue and gradual linear progression along with the lack of many traditional RPG elements are bound to turn many gamers off. Customization options are light for most of the game and even afterward they pale in comparison to deeper RPGS. If after reading the review or watching videos you are still skeptical, be assured that this game can be easily hated despite its inherent quality.

The Experience -- 9.3
[/QUOTE]

thank you for sharing, I love fantasy

zero

Finally put this game back into my 360 and I'm about 12 hours in. Still don't quite understand what the hell a l'cie or Pulse l'cie or Fal'cie is. I love the Paradigm system. A little more exploration would be welcomed.

fal cies are like demi-gods that run the workings of the world, with some being responsible for the sheltered life of mankind within Cocoon. fal'cies brand people to carry out what they cannot do -- these branded people are called li'cie, and turn to crystal upon carrying out their task, or become a monstrous ci'eth if they fail.

the group of characters you play were branded by a fal'cie from the feared world of Pulse below, and are enemies of the state as a result.

pay attention during the cutscenes! put on subtitles.

Good review.

A quick summary of my impressions were that FFXIII is good, but not great.

Gameplay, specifically the battle system is the key reason FFXIII is a good game. The story is incomprehensible, and is filled with cliches and hardly anything interesting. People have tried to explain it but at the end it just falls flat, and its not the reason people continue playing. The music is excellent, as expected from Square-Enix, as well as the graphics.

Post-game is a joke unfortunately. There is no variety between the 64 missions that you can take, as its all 'walk to x, kill x monsters, complete mission, go look for next stone'. I'm still doing all 64 missions for the sake of achievements, but I think they could've tried to give it some more variety.

A final note is that while teleportation stones are very nice for quick traveling, I feel that there is a lot of tedium involved in running around to find and complete missions. I do appreciate the minimalist design in not having towns or stores per se, but this game really does suffer from severe linearity.

tl;dr FFXIII is fun battle-wise and impressive visually and musically, but fails in every other department.

- AK

Great review, well organized! I just started playing this game yesterday. Only about 2 hours in and it is a great game so far. :applause:

bread's done
Back