Final verdict - Which console had the Best games?

Playstation 2 (90 million sold)
Xbox Gamecube (virtual tie at 30 mil)
Dreamcast (10 million)

Which had the best games?

- My pick: PS2: Final Fantasy 10/10-2/12, Gran Turismo 3/4, Resident Evil 4, ....(insert 50 great games)... , Ratchet & Clank, DDR, Damacy, Ico, et cetera, et cetera. My PS2 library is HUGE; I need a bookshelf to hold them all. Awesome console. :applause:

- Xbox - uh... never owned one :cold:

- Gamecube - Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Starfox, Fzero, Metroid Prime 1/2, Zelda Twilight Princess, Eternal Darkness, Skies of Arcadia, and that's about it. Not much to enjoy. Nintendo really disappointed me. SOLD. :bomb:

- Dreamcast - all the good games were ported to PS2 or GC (see above)

Ps2 hands down. probably the best console yet. it has quantity and quality.

however, there were games on the xbox that I liked more than all the ps2 games-- Ninja Gaiden, DOA:Ultimate.

This thread is going to get messy and is just a waste of internet space.

It will turn into a Pro Gamecube vs Anti Gamecube thread INCREDIBLY fast.

Someone is going to say the GC blows and had a shitty lineup, someone will defend it, and it starts from there.

Someone will also bitch about RE 4 being in the OP's PS2 list and not the GC list and we can have another RE 4 fight.

Yes, and then someone can post about how the RE producer wanted to kill himself because RE4 was ported to PS2, then fanboys can talk about how 1000x better RE4 on Gamecube is, and how much more detailed the graphics are, and how the add ons are worthless......

Personally, I think the PS2 had the best games of this past generation, and definitely the most variety. RPG, fighters, rhythm/music games, racers, strategy, and "niche", the PS2 had the most selection of games for the more "seasoned" gamer..yet it still had the BIGGEST mainstream games [GTA, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Ratchet, Jak, SOCOM, Katamari, Ico] and until the 360, really the place to be for the sports games.

PS2 kind of got the retro craze going too, you can have a very nice library of old games alone if you buy all the collections...[Street Fighter Anthology, Sega Genesis Collection, Capcom Classics V1 and V2, Sonic Mega Collection, plus the dozens of arcade classic titles..more games total than VC..save the Nintendo stuff]

Oh, and someone can post "GC!!! OMG ZELDA!!!!"

Ps2 - Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Socom 3
Xbox - Ninja Gaiden Black, Forza
GCN - Metroid Prime, LoZ: WW, RE4

Resident Evil 4 on PS2 may have looked inferior, but it was still a lot of fun (and scary!). That's why I listed it.

PS2 had the same strengths over the other consoles
-as- the PS1 has over the N64 and Sega Saturn. Namely: a shitload of games & variety.

Problem with these threads is that everyone has an opinion. Logically, the PS2 had the most games, so it should really have the most good ones too, by default. From playing, I believe this.

That being said, I think what's amazing is that all 4 consoles listed are worth owning. Each had it's own sets of games that are worth the time and money.

Uh, not to mention that the PS2 is the only one of the 3 backward compatible with anything, and there's a pretty good argument that the ps1 library you could play on it was as good as the xbox and gcn libraries

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']Uh, not to mention that the PS2 is the only one of the 3 backward compatible with anything, and there's a pretty good argument that the ps1 library you could play on it was as good as the xbox and gcn libraries

Dave[/quote]

same could be said about the GCN and GBA player. Also if we talk about online titles... Xbox kills.

Each console had their strengths and weaknesses as far as games go. I say enough debate about the last generation consoles and let's move on.

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']
- Dreamcast - all the good games were ported to PS2 or GC (see above)[/quote]

Lies...Lies...Lies....:twoguns:

If was to vote for personal preference, I would have to go with the Gamecube. ED, Wind Waker, RE4, Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Four Swords, PAC Man VS. and more that I cant think of off the top of my head. But to be fair if the Cube gets 4 stars the others get 3.75. I dont think people realized how great that generation of gaming was, its highly unlikely that it can be repeated, but I hope I am wrong about that.

PS2 had the best sum total of games. GC had the best exclusives. Also not all the best DC games got ported to the PS2/GC/Xbox. Jet Set Radio (original), Shenmue, Power Stone (not the shitty PSP version), Samba de Amigo, Project Justice, and fucking Sega Swirl still remain exclusive. Also the ports, especially RE: CV, were mediocre at best.

Edit: And to Wombat.... a generation where we lost SNK and Sega as first party developers is not "great" by any stretch of the imagination.

I like Nintendo games the most, so GC.

LoZ, Mario, Smash, Pikmin, Metroid, Paper Mario- shit was hype.
Non nintendo games had a good showing- ED, Re4, etc, and when it came to multi platform games I always liked the GC version (I hate the Ps2 analog stick).

[quote name='MightySlacker']I expect a FINAL VERDICT with 100% consensus by the end of the weekend. No one leaves until a verdict is reached.

Dave[/QUOTE]

It's good to know I carry a gun on me at all times, with more than enough bullets to take out all dissenters.

Much like this new generation, I think a lot of thought needs to be placed on exclusive titles. A lot of titles were cross platform. Not many people had all three system, so if they had a PS2 they couldn't get it on XBOX with better graphics. I think it all comes down to preference; much like when one reviewer gives a game a 10, but another reviewer gives the same game a 2. It all about what you enjoy and not what someone else likes. If you like Pokemon why should you give a shit about what someone else thinks.

[quote name='pdat2003']If you like Pokemon why should you give a shit about what someone else thinks.[/quote]

Let me guess, you're a pokemon fanatic :roll:

I would say the Xbox. The GC just didn't seem to have that many games. The PS2 had a shitload of games but most of them were filler.

With their first console, MS made online console gaming, which had barely been done before, better than online PC gaming. Seeing Splinter Cell's real-time shadows in 2002*, playing online co-op with voice in RS3, and of course the Halo LAN parties were all great. No other console came close in terms of fun for me.

*This is still not standard in every new game for some reason.

The Gamecube has some highly polished games which are just wonderful... but not enough of them. Their third-party support was laughably bad. Very good, but limiting.

The PS2 is the catch-all of the masses. Huge third-party influences, though the sheer number of titles mean many went undersold or were just unloved. Lots of filler material was just horrible. Still, many gems if you sift around the junk. It has many worthwhile exclusives as well that appeal to a large variety of people. A few of us actually liked Eternal Ring.

The XBox was a median. Too heavy saturation of sports games, some decent but not stellar first party efforts, and some third-party gems of ultimate doom. The library is too limiting for some people to make it a sole console, but it does have some seriously good titles only it has. Some of us actually liked Blinx. Strong unified online gives it a nice multiplayer edge.

The Dreamcast was always the more eclectic weirdo hippy of a system. Seaman and 7th Cross Evolution were just bizarre. Good first pary support, but it lost a good deal of its third party followers to the PS2's hype machine. Many of the good games were indeed ported (oddly, Sonic Adventure DX for GC suffered slowdown at some points when the DC had no issues), but it still has its bizarre games the majority really hates. We loved the VMU, but only until it ate all our batteries.

Therefore... the best system is what fits the player's tastes. The PS2 has the most options if one takes the time to deliberate. I loves them all.

Xbox and PS2 are tied, in my eyes -- Xbox slightly in the lead.

At first, I loved the ps2 because of its backwards compatibility, but then after picking up an Xbox, I loved the live feature and the hard drive.

If we're just talking about games, I would give a slight edge to the ps2, but I liked playing all ports on Xbox because of four-player capability.

Slight edge to ps2 for games, I'll leave it at that I guess since we're opening up a can of worms already!

lol the xbox sucked... it had.... uh Halo and uhh.... Halo 2. GC didnt have many games either, but it at least had more that were good. PS2... had a bunch that were good. So I guess PS2 deserves the win, although its kinda hard to decide between ps2 and gc cause GC had some games that were really awesome, like Wind Waker and Fire Emblem.

[quote name='Spades22']lol the xbox sucked... it had.... uh Halo and uhh.... Halo 2. GC didnt have many games either, but it at least had more that were good. PS2... had a bunch that were good. So I guess PS2 deserves the win, although its kinda hard to decide between ps2 and gc cause GC had some games that were really awesome, like Wind Waker and Fire Emblem.[/QUOTE]
I thought Halo 2 sucked, but there were still a lot of other great games on Xbox. Also crossplatform games were almost always best on Xbox.

PS2, hands down. I have a somewhat broad taste in games, but I'd say if I have any preferences it would be RPGs and off-the-beaten-path games. The only genre that the PS2 didn't completely cover was the FPS genre. Even then, my favorite console shooter of last gen, Black, was on the PS2 (and Xbox).

The PS2 had a very varied library of great games, many of which went largely ignored. Culdcept is one of my all-time favorites. But that's just the tip of the iceberg: Katamari Damacy, Gitaroo Man, Samurai Champloo, Chaos Legion, Shadow Hearts, Disgaea, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts, Ape Escape, Maximo. I could go on all night. I have been over my collection repeatedly, weeding out the fluff, and I still have over 200 PS2 games. It's by far my all-time favorite system, and I started gaming with a Pong machine.

The GC had a great lineup as well, it was just abandoned too soon by both 3rd parties and Nintendo themselves. Not counting Zelda that will be released in a couple of weeks, it could be argued that the last truly "great" GC game was RE4. Of course, many of my favorite GC games others either overlooked or hated: Gotcha Force, P.N.03, Kirby's Air Ride, Billy Hatcher, Phantasy Star Ep. 1&2 and III: C.A.R.D. are all standouts for me.

The Xbox came in last for me, but was still a very good system. I'd say already that the 360 is on the road to having a MUCH better lineup, but the Xbox still gave us some greats such as JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, DOA:XBV, KOTOR, Steel Battalion, Rallisport, etc.

PS2 easily because of the exclusives. GC for the most part after that though XBox did have some good exclusives, mostly 3rd party games like "Breakdown", "Phantom Crash", "Panzer Dragoon Orta", "Jet Set Radio Future", "Ninja Gaiden" and "Dead Or Alive" franchise.

[quote name='AlienLX']Xbox

Knights of the Old Republic has a lot of weight on my decision, which is one of the best games I've ever played.[/QUOTE]
I came back to this thread just to mention KOTOR but you beat me to it. KOTOR is not only one of the best games I've ever played, it also has probably the best story in a game ever.

PS2 without a second thought. It had tons of 3rd party exclusives, and just in general it had the games I wanted to play.

In terms of Qaulity the GCN is the best. Yes there is less games to choose from. However there is no way you could never own or not want to play a GCN.
The GCN had at least one game everybody wants to play.

The PS2 have variety but that is you will allways own more PSX games then PS2 games and so on. The PS2 had variety this time around. The PS2 was the DVD/Game system to own. Also the PS2 had many creative games.

The X-Box was just the PC users branch off. Basically it was a cheap PC and still is JUst get yourself a X-Box for $40 bucks and MOD the living daylights out of it. However the system was too PC based and less American based.

It is really dumb when you think bout it.

There's no fucking way I'd consider any system but the PS2 for this. I had all four consoles and I really enjoying playing all of them, but the Playstation 2 not only had the most good games, but also many of the absolute best that came out this generation.

The Xbox had Kotor I and II, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden and Forza. The Halos were ok. I have about 30 Xbox games, but I think I've only played about 10 of them. :lol:

On the GameCube, there was SSBM, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Paper Mario, Mario Kart DD, Pikmins and Wind Waker. I own about 20 GC games and have only played about half.

But on the PS2...
well... I have a custom made shelf for all my PS2 games.... And I've played about 80% of them out of.... oh 100ish.

I definitely choose GameCube by some distance. There are a lot of great games for it, especially great exclusive games, and it claims the best game of the generation with Super Smash Bros. Melee.

PS2 is probably next, but only barely over Dreamcast. PS2 has some good stuff, but even with a few good unusual games I was disappointed at how many PS2 games are cookie-cutter crap. I definitely play my Cube a hell of a lot more than my PS2, so there you go.

Dreamcast follows closely with some good stuff, but not a long enough lifetime to have enough good stuff. Still probably just as many top-quality games as PS2.

Never saw any need to own an Xbox, clearly in my view the machine had very little in the way of exclusive games worth playing. I don't care for Halo/Halo2, and if I did the PC versions are better anyway. JSRF is good and maybe a couple other Sega games, but that's about it.

It's weird how Smash Brothers is enough to make GCN the number one for many people, but Halo isn't claiming slots for the X-Box?

I think the biggest example of why the PS2 is the clear winner is that every single person that picks the PS2 has a different reason for picking it: for some it's great first party games like Gran Turismo and various platformers, and for others it is great franchises like GTA and Devil May Cry, while for some it's the big RPG's, for others its niche games, and for some it's all of the above.

There's no one answer why the PS2 is on top,

PS2 without a doubt. There were still a lot of great games for the other 2 consoles, but the PS2 just had a ton more good RPG's as well as more quirky titles IMO.

For me I think overall PS2 ends up winning, simply because there was more variety. Nintendo all the really good games just contained Mario/Zelda... whereas Playstation you could basically play a really good game from any genre and there were many great series all with completely different characters. I needed a break from Mario after playing him for a good 8 years or so.

Xbox in my opinion. Ninja Gaiden Black and the Halos were fantastic, and it's hard to argue with the Halo 2 Live replayability.

Gamecube runs a close second with Metroid Prime, Zelda and SSB:M.

My favorite games for the PS2 (GTAs and RE4) were released on other consoles.

Topic should have a poll.

The PS2 has the best overall selection and most great games. There are a lot of very good games for the GC, but not nearly as many as are available on the PS2. As for the XB, I can't think of more than 4-5 games I've actually enjoyed playing.

Like I give a fuck.

You know who wins? Me. I do. I just bought Sega Genesis Collection, Capcom Classics 2, Bully, and Shadow of the Colossus to play on my PS3. After I finish FFXII, of course.

My whole GC catalog? Still with me. I loved Metroid Prime, and I look forward to Metroid Prime 2. On my Wii.

Now, I boxed up and put away the Xbox games that I can't yet play on my 360. Bad, bad, BAD back-compatibility decisions there. I have a ton of good games I'd like to finish on the Xbox. I also have a wife who will kick my ass if I have more than 3 consoles plugged into my TV.

In the end, I'm still enjoying the hell out of "last gen" games. Other than the 360, there ain't shit out now not named Zelda I want to really tuck into, so I'm cool for now.

And, of course, I also wanna play Xenogears again soon.

Of course PS2 has the best games overall but I played my Xbox more than my PS2. Why? Xbox live..thats why. 16:9 and 480p support on most games probably swayed me to play my Xbox more. I think thats the reason Ive sold my Xbox and kept my PS2, Ive played most of the "A" games on Xbox while I have a backlog RPGs for the PS2(thats the only reason I bought one anyway).

Which console had the best games? The one YOU enjoyed playing the most.

I don't know why people create threads like this. We have at least one a week.

bread's done
Back