FINALLY a Universal Friend Code?

SilverPaw750

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
According to a recent interview, your "Mii code" may be constant across all online games, with the exception of more child oriented ones (Pokemon Battle Revolution, for instance). This is seperate from your Wii Code so it is possible to have multiple profiles on one Wii, which is clever.

This is something we pretty much knew already, but it’s nice to have an official confirmation. A portion of Gamers interview with Justin Dowdeswell from Next Level Games…

G: So how does getting online work?

NLG: In the menu, there’s a spcial NWFC icon. You can see a random list of players from your continent, or play with your friends. Players will be ranked by stars, and the max number of players is four. Only two Wiis can be connected (excuse is to avoid lag), so to play with four you need two people on each Wii.

G: Can you play against people from all across the world?

NLG: Parties are limited to regions corresponding to continents. This limits connection problems caused by distance and you’ll still have plenty of people to play with. Regions are: USA, EU, Japan, AUS. Rankings are also region-specific.

G: And the Mii code, how’s that work?

NLG: Each Mii generates a Mii code that remains constant. This code will be used for all online titles in the future.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=18630

Thoughts?

I cuold definitely live with that. And I can understand that Nintendo want's to keep a safe online playing environment for their system. At least we can be assured that people we are playing with aren't asses half the time.

Though I would like to suggest that Nintendo have another option that can be enabled by adults to do random play. This might come in the form of ID/age verification (which most likely can lead to security problems). But, yeah, I can live with a universal friend code.

One friend code, fucking yes. I am happy. Although I don't care about mics, because I don't have to hear the 13 year olds whining at me telling me I cheated when I kick their ass at strikers, lol.

First of all the interview is in French, and it could have been translated wrong.

Secondly, I will wait for an in depth explanation of what he actually meant before getting excited. For all we know he could have meant future Mario Strikers games and not ALL online games.

Thirdly, he could be flat out wrong or Nintendo may decide to change things. So again I would take this with a grain of salt.

Remember people. Nintendo has already confirmed, at least twice, that game specific friend codes were the deal.

It doesn't answer if that means Friend Codes stay with your Mii or if you have to re-enter them every time.

But definitely a step in the right direction.

Better if true but not great. Only two connections and only playing against people in your region is a bad idea. I play with people around the world on my DS. It would be far better to have the option in game on if you want to go worldwide or not.

It's been over six months, it's fairly obvious that Nintendo still doesn't care about online gaming. Maybe they are still going by the "Gamers don't want online" philisophy?

[quote name='chodax']I dont get how it will lag with 4 seperate players for a game like pokemon. It's all turn based anyways[/quote]That restriction is just for Mario Strikers. I will be rather happy if this is actually the case (one code for my Mii), but I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='halu102']Though I would like to suggest that Nintendo have another option that can be enabled by adults to do random play. This might come in the form of ID/age verification (which most likely can lead to security problems). But, yeah, I can live with a universal friend code.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if this is what you're suggesting, but I think the "random list of players" he mentions does just that. From what I understand, the game recommends a few randomly selected players with similar records as you, kind of like Mario Kart DS's matchmaking system.
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Although I don't care about mics, because I don't have to hear the 13 year olds whining at me telling me I cheated when I kick their ass at strikers, lol.[/quote]
I'm not a huge fan of voice chat against opponents (for the same reason), but if they make any team-based games, team chat would be really nice to have.
[quote name='Scrubking']Nintendo has already confirmed, at least twice, that game specific friend codes were the deal.[/quote]
Really? The only quote I remember is that the system would be similar to the DS. When did they confirm game-specific codes?
[quote name='Baron O Hell']Only two connections and only playing against people in your region is a bad idea.[/quote]
I've read that the region restriction is for random matches only. You can still play against people in other regions if you have their friend code registered.

Also: shame on GoNintendo for not specifying that most of this information was referring specifically to Mario Strikers Charged (i.e. the region limitation and the 2-Wii limit).

Really? The only quote I remember is that the system would be similar to the DS. When did they confirm game-specific codes?

Gamespy, a Nintendo rep and (supposedly) the Nintendo eu website.

Of course Nintendo could have changed their minds since then, but I won't believe it till I see it.

Screw confusingly-translated English. This just sounds like it's just refering to Mario Strikers' online features, which we've known about for awhile now.

I'll wait for this to be officially said by a higher up in Nintendo, in English.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']According to a recent interview, your "Mii code" may be constant across all online games, with the exception of more child oriented ones.[/QUOTE] So, with the exception of all Wii games? Zing!

[quote name='UndyingForce']not being able to play randomly with others online sux hard (timezones issues)[/quote]Hmmm? You can play randomly with people on all games, just with strikers it's limited to your region (probably NA, Japan, and "Europe").

I know I just misunderstood what you said, though. Could you elaborate?

I would love that Mii = "Profile"
Would be VERY, VERY nice IMO.

Not great, however, would be a step up. Now if we can access our Mii's through some Nintendo site, be able to add Miis (friends) through the internet from CLICKING..then :applause: but then, that would defeat the purpose of "friend code" ..lol

[quote name='Scrubking']Proven false
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/28/friend-codes-linked-to-mii-said-mario-strikers-producer/[/quote]

Well crap. At least this method is being used for Strikers. We can only hope that other developers jump on the bandwagon. Maybe this is a Nintendo-sanctioned design and he wasn't supposed to say anything about it?

I still wonder how the Mii friend code thing is going to work. If there is a Mii in your Mii plaza are they automatically added to your friend list or do you still have to provide a code?

bread's done
Back