Finally getting my game systems online

addicted2games

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hey everyone. I am probably the only person that doesnt have my game consoles online, but I want to do it soon. I am thinking of getting a wireless router to hook to my computer. Which is better/easier to setup, Linksys or Netgear? Other suggestions? I want something that is reliable and easy to use/setup. I know I have to get the 360 network adapter, and the PS3/Wii have wi-fi. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as well as a cheap place to get the router. Thanks.

Use the linksys WRT54G router and flash DD-WRT onto it. This way you can use it as a wireless adapter but since it is a router, it has four ethernet ports for connecting. The router costs $40 bucks as well at newegg last time I checked so even if you only use it for your xbox 360, its well worth the money. For your main router which will not be the wireless bridge, I would still recommend this router.

Prussia, all my systems are in two different rooms nowhere near my computer. That setup you recommend will still work right. I dont really know too much about this network setup stuff. What is DD-WRT and flashing it? Sorry for the noob questions.

DD-WRT is a hacked firmware for your router. By hacked, it's not unstable in the least bit and although technically it voids your warranty, you can just put linksys's firmware back on and no one will know the difference. Flashing also is just replacing a router's firmware with different firmware. Now what I was talking about was buying two of the WRT54G routers from newegg or wherever you prefer. Then setup one of the routers as your main router at your computer. The other router you should flash DD-WRT onto and then follow this guide, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge, in order to setup a wireless bridge. It also will work perfectly if your modem and consoles are in separate rooms.
Popsci did an article about using this method a little while after I did it. Here's the link: http://www.popsci.com/node/30580

What I did was just get my main internet line installed near my Xbox 360. So I used a wired port for the 360 and got a wireless card for the PC. It's much cheaper that way but I'm assuming your internet is already set up and you don't have that option?

bread's done
Back