Finding Internships

v1et r1ce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
So I'm about to go into my 2nd year of college this Fall majoring in Accounting and Finance. I go to school for 6 months, and then I go on coop for 6 months. Since I have no experience in the field, I am a bit worried in finding a good coop, so I want to find an internship to get some experience.

I tried to find one for the summer, but that didn't work out. What are some ways in finding one?

Go to your school's career center. At this point in your college career, it's probably the best thing you can do, since you probably don't have any contacts who could hook you up at this point.

And FWIW, getting internships in finance is pretty tough, from my experience. I double majored in economics and finance with pretty much straight As (an A- here and there) and frankly, it doesn't mean jack-shit for finding internships in those fields. There's no substitute for experience, unfortunately.

My advice as an accountant? Don't do accounting :D

If you're set on it, kiss as much ass as you possibly can to get a great internship with the big 4 or other large local firms. It will really set your career off the right way. Show up at career fairs, join the professional fraternity (I think it's BAP, I haven't kept up since I joined), and get in good with your professors because odds are that they know people high up in the field. I've become really disenchanted with the whole process because it came off as so snobby and fake to me.. not to mention now that I'm working, I want to bash my head into the cubicle walls from staring at spreadsheets all day. But to each his/her own.

[quote name='QiG']My advice as an accountant? Don't do accounting :D

If you're set on it, kiss as much ass as you possibly can to get a great internship with the big 4 or other large local firms. It will really set your career off the right way. Show up at career fairs, join the professional fraternity (I think it's BAP, I haven't kept up since I joined), and get in good with your professors because odds are that they know people high up in the field. I've become really disenchanted with the whole process because it came off as so snobby and fake to me.. not to mention now that I'm working, I want to bash my head into the cubicle walls from staring at spreadsheets all day. But to each his/her own.[/QUOTE]

Sure going into the Big 4 is a great way to start your career... if you are interested in making basically minimum wage per hour because you work so much to make the partners money and being treated like shit. I quit that shit after about six months because I knew it was just going to get worse and got a reasonable job at a local firm making more money for less hours and never looked back. Basically, if all you care about is your resume and the gamble of possibly making really good money down the road due to your experience in exchange for less money now, sure, do the Big 4. If you actually want to have a life, go elsewhere. They likely pay more too.

However, for an internship, Big 4 is the way to go. You only have to endure it for a few months even if you do it in busy season, and they coddle the interns to try to get them to stay on as full-timers; don't fall for it. The pay is great, the hours aren't bad in the summer internship, and you get paid for overtime unlike a real staffperson. Plus it looks great on a resume. Just don't fall for their bullshit and get out after the internship and find a real job.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think I might go the Big 4 route. I would only work for 6 months until I start coop.

So should I talk with my school's career center about it? Or should I start somewhere else?

Sounds like you're going the accounting route, but I'll share my experience in finance.

Got an internship in my senior year of undergrad with one of the biggest asset managing firms in the U.S. Worked there for 6 months and then got hired on after that. I got the internship through a friend who was interning there and got hired because I did a good job and made a good impression with the managers.

Fast forward 4 years and I'm unemployed and back in school. Just finished my 1st quarter of grad school and LUCKILY got an internship for summer. I'm now doing an internship in the corporate finance dept. @ a health insurance firm. That one I got through career services and NAILING the interview. You have no idea how on point you have to be to beat out 8 other MBA students from a top school. So check out your local career center.

DO NOT do nothing this summer. Go volunteer anywhere. Trust me it looks good on your resume that you're volunteering and not just sitting on your ass. PLUS the people you work with can give you a great recommendation when applying for that internship.

Best of luck

bread's done
Back