Fired reporters challenge Fox TV license

whats new the media distorting facts, like we did not know that. But anyways the media should come under fire the try to put their own spin on everyting. Maybe we should have certain news channels that are for entertainment and one that has the correct news. Just an idea.

News is entertaining, no one would watch "10 more died in Iraq this hour" or "another 12 people dead this hour in Iraq".

The news has to be made up somewhat otherwise no one would watch.

I think it's great that the guy on MSNBC was fired by Fox Sports and he's like "I couldn't have been happier. See I had 8 months left on the deal, so they had to pay me that money. It was the best money I ever earned".

[quote name='MrFriday18']whats new the media distorting facts, like we did not know that. But anyways the media should come under fire the try to put their own spin on everyting. Maybe we should have certain news channels that are for entertainment and one that has the correct news. Just an idea.[/quote]

We are not talking spin here, but an out and out false story. Did you notice this in the middle of the story:

In 1998, the two filed a civil court lawsuit seeking employee protections under the state Whistleblower Act that resulted in a $425,000 jury award to Akre. That verdict was then overturned in 2003 when an appeals court accepted Fox's defense that since it is not technically against any law, rule, or regulation for a broadcaster to distort the news, the journalists were never entitled to employee protections as whistleblowers in the first place.

So it's ok for new outlets to just make stuff up? Funny, I don't see a howl of protest against FOX for doing this like they did CBS. It's a big difference too. CBS didn't verify documents for a report, FOX wanted its reporters to change their story and lie. Which is worse?

[quote name='ZarathosNY']So it's ok for new outlets to just make stuff up? Funny, I don't see a howl of protest against FOX for doing this like they did CBS. It's a big difference too. CBS didn't verify documents for a report, FOX wanted its reporters to change their story and lie. Which is worse?[/quote]

The difference is that CBS had a shred of integrity.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='ZarathosNY']So it's ok for new outlets to just make stuff up? Funny, I don't see a howl of protest against FOX for doing this like they did CBS. It's a big difference too. CBS didn't verify documents for a report, FOX wanted its reporters to change their story and lie. Which is worse?[/quote]

The difference is that CBS had a shred of integrity.[/quote]

And that even without the possibly forged documents, there is still good reason to question whether Dubya received preferential treatment in the Guard and fulfilled his service.

I just don't listen to the news except for weather, sports, etc. That way I don't have to sift through the bullshit.

[quote name='MrFriday18']Maybe we should have certain news channels that are for entertainment and one that has the correct news. Just an idea.[/quote]
Maybe we should. The only way that that's ever going to work, though, is if the 'fake' news channels are clearly labeled, or else its going to be difficult to figure out what news channels are real, and which ones are just making shit up.

In other words, I think we need a law forbidding Fox from claiming that its presenting news. Just like ads for psychic hotlines, they should be required to put "For entertainment purposes only" on the bottom of all their news broadcasts. :)

[quote name='Drocket'][quote name='MrFriday18']Maybe we should have certain news channels that are for entertainment and one that has the correct news. Just an idea.[/quote]
Maybe we should. The only way that that's ever going to work, though, is if the 'fake' news channels are clearly labeled, or else its going to be difficult to figure out what news channels are real, and which ones are just making shit up.

In other words, I think we need a law forbidding Fox from claiming that its presenting news. Just like ads for psychic hotlines, they should be required to put "For entertainment purposes only" on the bottom of all their news broadcasts. :)[/quote]

Yeah, Bill O'Reilly actually does that - he always says "If you're listening to me for news, that's crazy - go pick up a newspaper. This is entertainment"

I may disagree with him, but I have to give him points for being the most honest guy on Fox (I don't even think Mike Moore is that transparent)

bread's done
Back