Firefly: What DUMBASS decided to cancel it?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I didn't necessarily mean to lump you in with them directly, I was just attempting to point out how Whedon's fanbase thinks everything he does is flawless and God's gift to TV. I also like how they often never credit the other writers and producers that made these shows so good (When was the last time you heard a Firefly or Buffy fan talk about Tim Minear or David Fury, two guys that actually moved on to do other great TV shows and coincidently Minear is no place to be found in Serenity's credits) and like I said always hail it for being so original and unique. It's a very die-hard fanbase. (and although it has a strong likeness to Outlaw Star and Bebop, the actual anime I think alot of the ideas are taken from, in terms of setting at least, is without a doubt Trigun).

I don't really think Fox was intentionally trying to kill the show from the start (if you want an example of that look no further than what TNT did to Crusade), but I think once they figured out no one was tuning in I do think they stopped trying. It's true, DVD sales have been strong, but lots of TV shows' DVD sales are climbing upward. Sports Night actually sold pretty well on DVD for almost a year, but you didn't see that still on the air or coming back anytime soon.
Also it being placed on the sci-fi channel I think is just publicity for Universal's movies, however a slim chance may remain for a return if the movies see alot of success, but don't expect it to come back to someplace like the sci-fi channel with a similar production budget. I without a doubt think it had a much better shot at success on cable to being with like you said. To be honest I do hope it returns as a regular series, but without some key writers, smaller production funds, and the movie changing the storylines I don't think it will be the same show.

Still, I guess to sum it all up I look at it this way, IIRC Fox did not stand in the way of Firefly being shopped around and so it was, but nobody was biting because nobody was watching. UPN even turned it down I think despite the fact their network was airing other sci-fi shows, one them being Whedon's own Buffy, and their ratings standards are much lower than those of the larger networks. Sometimes series get saved because one exec sticks their neck out, Firefly was unfortunate that Fox or any otehr network didn't really have anyone willing to do that. I admit though, if this was the mid-late 90s and Firefly found it's way onto someplace like TNT or sci-fi channel this could be another discussion entirely.[/QUOTE]
I'm really not a Joss Whedon fan at all, I don't like his other shows. You're right about some of the fans though.

I think Crusade is a pretty good comparison, the network wanted something other than what they were getting and didn't let the show succeed. Scifi channel wanted to pick up Crusade mid season, but didn't have money left in their budget until the following year, and I think Firefly was in a similar spot. UPN didn't even really want Enterprise, they were trying to transition from the Voyager/Enterprise/Nowhere Man network into the Moesha/Girlfriends/The Parkers network. Scifi would love to have both of those shows now in production for their big Friday night lineup. Firefly can't really come back as a series because of logistics at this point though, actors/producers/writers aren't available, Fox still owns the rights, etc. The budget isn't necessarily an issue, an arrangement could be worked out where the overseas networks pick up some of the tab (Scifi and Skyone both pay half for Galactica). But its too late now.

Speaking of Crusade, the B5 Rangers pilot got screwed by the Scifi channel, had to be rescheduled after 9/11, and it was in the same timeslot as the Pats-Raiders snowbowl game. I didn't think it was that good anyway though.

I wanted to chime in a bit...

I watched the first episode (Train Job) of this show when it was on TV, and didn't see the big deal. It was confusing, I didn't understand the characters, and I didn't buy the whole western theme. They throw you into an Alliance/Independent bar fight with no background whatsoever. Confusing.

After borrowing a copy, and watching it from the actual pilot, due to the great word of mouth, I'm enjoying it far more. Rank me as one of the people who didn't "get it" when this first aired.

Sidenote... I hated buffy and the spinoff. Kristy Swanson will always be buffy for me.

I'd say Firefly is as much a western as it is sci-fi. I think that made it quite unique. I think that the sci-fi fanboys were expecting a straight sci-fi and didn't get that so many of them were turned off. Plus, Joss Whedon was doing something very different than what he had done previously and that probably turned off some of his fans as well. Personally, I'm watching the series on DVD right now and I like it even more now than when I first saw it. Of course, some of that is probably because I'm watching them in the order they were intended to be viewed in, not according to Fox's ridiculous notion of good programming.

[quote name='neocisco']I'd say Firefly is as much a western as it is sci-fi. I think that made it quite unique. I think that the sci-fi fanboys were expecting a straight sci-fi and didn't get that so many of them were turned off. Plus, Joss Whedon was doing something very different than what he had done previously and that probably turned off some of his fans as well. Personally, I'm watching the series on DVD right now and I like it even more now than when I first saw it. Of course, some of that is probably because I'm watching them in the order they were intended to be viewed in, not according to Fox's ridiculous notion of good programming.[/QUOTE]

I think the show wasn't that different in the characters and general plots than his previous series. For instance there was always one ever lingering evil. For Firefly it was the Alliance (though he never gets around to telling you why they are so bad) and in something like Angel it was Wolfram & Hart. The villans are pretty similar IMO too, you can compare someone like Niska on Firefly to any number of Buffy or Angel villians. I'm not saying that it was exactly the same or that the similarities were even a bad thing, but I could see the basic similarities in the writing and characters between Firefly and his other series. Usually when series have the same writers/producers they have things in common like that though.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I think the show wasn't that different in the characters and general plots than his previous series. For instance there was always one ever lingering evil. For Firefly it was the Alliance (though he never gets around to telling you why they are so bad) and in something like Angel it was Wolfram & Hart. The villans are pretty similar IMO too, you can compare someone like Niska on Firefly to any number of Buffy or Angel villians. I'm not saying that it was exactly the same or that the similarities were even a bad thing, but I could see the basic similarities in the writing and characters between Firefly and his other series. Usually when series have the same writers/producers they have things in common like that though.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I just think the western/sci-fi hybrid setting confused a lot of people who were expecting something standard (except the Whedon fans).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'](and although it has a strong likeness to Outlaw Star and Bebop, the actual anime I think alot of the ideas are taken from, in terms of setting at least, is without a doubt Trigun).[/QUOTE]

I think you're overestimating the popularity and influence of anime—essentially making the same mistake the Whedon fans you're complaining about do. Yes, Firefly was a sci-fi western. But then, Star Trek was originally pitched as "Wagon Train in space." Trigun didn't exactly invent the genre.

[quote name='trq']I think you're overestimating the popularity and influence of anime—essentially making the same mistake the Whedon fans you're complaining about do. Yes, Firefly was a sci-fi western. But then, Star Trek was originally pitched as "Wagon Train in space." Trigun didn't exactly invent the genre.[/QUOTE]

True, but Star Trek had elements of a western. Most of it took place in space, was very furturistic and so on. I'm not a fan but I don't remember most of the show taking place on desert planets with old-fashioned whore houses, had them attempting train robberies and carrying revolvers. Shows like Firefly and Trigun were essentially westerns in style, setting, and design, with some space/sci-fi action thrown in. I don't regard them even as the same kind of show really. They intentionally mix the genres more and it's pretty common. Star Wars is more or less Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress tossed into a distant galaxy and some small changes made.

Besides I never said those anime shows "invented the genre". Lots of shows, espeically now days, are often billed as "imagine such and such a series set in _____." or "imagine so-so with more _____ in it." I (and lots of others say it as well) named those shows because they also have many plot elements that are very similar too. For example, finding mysterious, unconscious girls in suitcases and so on. Things like that leads many to believe anime like those were an influence on the show.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']True, but Star Trek had elements of a western. Most of it took place in space, was very furturistic and so on. I'm not a fan but I don't remember most of the show taking place on desert planets with old-fashioned whore houses, had them attempting train robberies and carrying revolvers. Shows like Firefly and Trigun were essentially westerns in style, setting, and design, with some space/sci-fi action thrown in. I don't regard them even as the same kind of show really. They intentionally mix the genres more and it's pretty common. Star Wars is more or less Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress tossed into a distant galaxy and some small changes made.

Besides I never said those anime shows "invented the genre". Lots of shows, espeically now days, are often billed as "imagine such and such a series set in _____." or "imagine so-so with more _____ in it." I (and lots of others say it as well) named those shows because they also have many plot elements that are very similar too. For example, finding mysterious, unconscious girls in suitcases and so on. Things like that leads many to believe anime like those were an influence on the show.[/QUOTE]

Okay, fair enough. I confess, though, aside from the setting, which we seem to agree isn't singularly unique (Wildarms, anyone?), I don't really see the Trigun/Firefly comparison. Any specific examples you think are particularly egregious?

Fox had a string of bad moves with Futurama, Family Guy, and Firefly. Everyone needs to go see Serenity to keep the hopes of a Sequel alive...

Just got back from seeing Serenity. Never watched the show, read some reviews and decided to see it. Possibly since being new to this universe, I thought it was OK at best. Some good scenes but the movie was long in places and slow paced. It seemed more like a long episode than a movie. Also, I didn't really care that the whole thing was about who created the revers. I'm sure that would have been a bigger thing had I seen the series, as someone who's new to this I thought woopee.

It really is too bad they have such a limited selection of Toys for the film, 2 Jaynes, 2 Mals, and a reaver. I could care less about the action figures, but I would have jumped on a fairly accurate, reasonably sized replica of the ship Serenity. Oh well, my guess is someone will make something eventually.

yeah I believe it was in theatre on 9/20 and will be released on dvd 12/20...supposedly they made less then it cost to make it, they were short approx $14million. So they are trying to capture in on the sci fi fans to buy it, get it for a gift b4 the holiday...there is an email with a detailed response on tvguide.com

http://www.tvguide.com/Movies/FlickChick/

Yep, deleted scenes, commentary track, blooper reel, and a few featurettes. Funny fact, the date the pilot episode finally aired was December 20th, 2002 (the last episode aired) the same day the dvd is coming out.

Sigh. I just watched all 14 episodes again - this time on my DVD set. I'll be watching Serenity again very soon too. I'm still in denial that this show never had a chance - every episode is excellent and the characters are great (especially Jayne - "I'll be in my bunk" :D). Why Fox, why?

The movie convinced my wife to finally watch the show and she loved it and now wants to watch the movie again, this time after seeing the series (she's convinced the show is way better than the movie though which I probably agree with).

[quote name='javeryh']Sigh. I just watched all 14 episodes again - this time on my DVD set. I'll be watching Serenity again very soon too. I'm still in denial that this show never had a chance - every episode is excellent and the characters are great (especially Jayne - "I'll be in my bunk" :D). Why Fox, why?

The movie convinced my wife to finally watch the show and she loved it and now wants to watch the movie again, this time after seeing the series (she's convinced the show is way better than the movie though which I probably agree with).[/QUOTE]

I've seen bits and pieces of the show on sci fi... its ok........... i was foolish enough to buy Serenity on DVD... saw it once and never saw it again. I'll buy the show when it drops below 19.99, but hell no im not paying 40 bucks for it.

[quote name='javeryh']Sigh. I just watched all 14 episodes again - this time on my DVD set. I'll be watching Serenity again very soon too. I'm still in denial that this show never had a chance - every episode is excellent and the characters are great (especially Jayne - "I'll be in my bunk" :D). Why Fox, why?

The movie convinced my wife to finally watch the show and she loved it and now wants to watch the movie again, this time after seeing the series (she's convinced the show is way better than the movie though which I probably agree with).[/quote]

You should watch Farscape next =]

The movie convinced my wife to finally watch the show and she loved it and now wants to watch the movie again, this time after seeing the series (she's convinced the show is way better than the movie though which I probably agree with).[/quote]

It's not so bad, there's plenty of scifi shows to fill the void left by Serenity - it's like getting upset because they cancelled one of the billion cop, lawyer, or reality shows. I've got it worse because I loved Carnivale and what the heck am I going to watch in it's absence?

I rented Serenity not long ago, thought it was worth the price of admission, whatever that turns out to be based on my monthly subscription. :D I didn't really get any desire to watch the show though, and any future episodes if they brought it back would suck since
Steve the pirate would be out of the picture.
Too many space sci-fi series are crap or get old too fast for me to bother getting excited about any of them.

[quote name='camoor']It's not so bad, there's plenty of scifi shows to fill the void left by Serenity - it's like getting upset because they cancelled one of the billion cop, lawyer, or reality shows. I've got it worse because I loved Carnivale and what the heck am I going to watch in it's absence?[/quote]

It's not the scifi that I'll miss - it's the humor. I like Joss Whedon - Buffy and Angel are two of my favorite shows ever and it would be nice for something of his to be on the air...

[quote name='javeryh']It's not the scifi that I'll miss - it's the humor. I like Joss Whedon - Buffy and Angel are two of my favorite shows ever and it would be nice for something of his to be on the air...[/quote]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193210061X/102-4179848-1423334?v=glance&n=283155

"Farscape is my favorite television show, with Firefly at a close second, so when this book appeared on Amazon I snatched it right up, especially after reading the impressive and thought-provoking Smart Pop book on Firefly, Finding Serenity."

OK, I guess I'll start watching Farscape next but where can I get the DVDs for cheap. There's no way I'm paying over $100 per season for something I know nothing about.

EDIT: If anyone wants to send the first season my way I'll gladly pay for blanks and postage...

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I guess I'll start watching Farscape next but where can I get the DVDs for cheap. There's no way I'm paying over $100 per season for something I know nothing about.

EDIT: If anyone wants to send the first season my way I'll gladly pay for blanks and postage...[/quote]

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ADV710342

Starburst editions are what i have. 3 sets per season, 7-8 eps in each set. They are superior to the previous season releases. Grab the first one and see if you like it.

Cool - thanks. $16 for 1/3 a season sure beats $100 for the entire thing at once. Still, it's going to come to $50 per season and if I get hooked this will get expensive... hmmm... I'll probably try the first set...

[quote name='javeryh']Cool - thanks. $16 for 1/3 a season sure beats $100 for the entire thing at once. Still, it's going to come to $50 per season and if I get hooked this will get expensive... hmmm... I'll probably try the first set...[/quote]

Between TBS and your local fox affiliate, chances are you can tune in at any time during the weekend and catch a Farscape episode in syndication. If you have TIVO, all the better. Although lousy baseball is now cutting in (jk baseball fans - actually I don't watch sports in general - I know, what a shocker)

Great show, absolutely. I would go so far as to say the episode "Out of Gas" is the best television hour I've seen in my 35 years of TV watching. It's a damn shame that the show was canceled, but to be honest, I can see why it was, and yes, I do blame the network.

1: Was shown completely out of order. I saw the first episode, and was pretty damn confused. I HATE jumping in the middle of something. I hate Angel, and X-Files for the same reason. Got them all on DVD, watched from the beginning and LOVED all three.
2: Was shown in a poor timeslot. The target audience isn't exactly known for being home and ready to watch TV on a friday evening,
3: Was VERY sporadic. It was shown one week, then not again for two weeks, then the next week, then skip another week. I couldn't have kept up with it if I'd wanted to, and a lot of other people feel the same.

Bottom line is, it's a good program, but it didn't have a prayer as things stood. Stick it on SCI/FI channel, or something, and it might have been big.

[quote name='camoor']Between TBS and your local fox affiliate, chances are you can tune in at any time during the weekend and catch a Farscape episode in syndication. If you have TIVO, all the better. Although lousy baseball is now cutting in (jk baseball fans - actually I don't watch sports in general - I know, what a shocker)[/quote]

Yea, but depending on what episode you see you might not know wtf is going on since the show is pretty story driven(or spoil a surprise)

[quote name='Revenantae']Bottom line is, it's a good program, but it didn't have a prayer as things stood. Stick it on SCI/FI channel, or something, and it might have been big.[/quote]

LoL - it was on scifi when it was cancelled.

[quote name='camoor']LoL - it was on scifi when it was cancelled.[/QUOTE]
No, it was on Fox when it was canceled. It was later shown in reruns on SCI/FI to drum up interest in Serenity.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Yea, but depending on what episode you see you might not know wtf is going on since the show is pretty story driven(or spoil a surprise)[/quote]

Really? I never found it to be too much of a problem, it basically goes like this

Spiky reptilian appearance or S&M outfit = bad guy

All others = good guy

There were some episodes that turned this formula around, but they were generally one-offers designed to throw you for a loop.

It seemed as if at the end of the series that the writers were doing some serious drugs, as there were several episodes taking place in the mindspace of the characters, or else creating plot devices that linked the characters thorough hokey psychic bonds.

[quote name='Revenantae']No, it was on Fox when it was canceled. It was later shown in reruns on SCI/FI to drum up interest in Serenity.[/quote]

So did scifi channel do the Farscape peacekeeper wars miniseries that wrapped the story up then? I could have sworn sci-fi did the last episodes of Farscape.

[quote name='camoor']LoL - it was on scifi when it was cancelled.[/quote]

Revenantae is talking about Firefly, not farscape

bread's done
Back