Firefox 1.5 is out. (get it before the mad rush)

blackcracker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Firefox 1.5 FINAL released!
Rediscover the web!

The wait is over. Firefox 1.5 empowers you to browse faster, more safely and more efficiently than with any other browser. Join more than 112 million others and make the switch today — Firefox imports your Favorites, settings and other information, so you have nothing to lose!

Direct FTPs: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/ (currently replicating across mirrors)

Anouncements on www.mozilla.org incoming. Just thought I'd give you all a headsup so you can beat the rush. The installer is in the /release/ dir, so this is the real deal.

What's new in Firefox 1.5?

- Over 3,700 bugfixes, enhancements and changes!
- Faster, more accurate rendering.
- Super-fast back/forward navigation
- Many speed, memory and stability improvements.
- Incremental updates with better UI (updates should be

nah, changed over to opera as firefox was getting to large of a program.

I like the simplicity of opera.

So far so good.

I did notice a little oddity with the smiley window on the side of the advanced post, though so far, that's the only issue I've seen.

It didn't burp on my theme, AdBlock or the Google Toolbar.

[quote name='zewone']Installed back to 1.0.7. Scrollbar is back and browsing oddities are gone. I'll stick with this for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Same here, as about 99% of my extensions seem to be incompatible with 1.5 at this moment.

Boy, what an exercise in futility. :wall:

Thanks anyhow, OP. :)

[quote name='Lice']Best part is it can wipe your favorites... which it did to mine.... hip hip hoooray[/QUOTE]

my favorites are all in tact, thanks OP

Got it and everything seems to be working fine. Out of all my extensions the only one not compatible anymore is autofill but I barely used it anyway so no biggy.

By the way, if you're worried about losing your favorites just export them before you dl the new version (to those of you who havent done so yet).

I fixed the problem. It had to do with the theme I was using. I'm using a 1.5 theme now and everything is back to normal.

Updated with no problems here, but I did lose my adblock extension, foxytunes and download them all, couldn't care less about the mp3 toolbar but Adblock and download them all will be severely missed.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']nah, changed over to opera as firefox was getting to large of a program.

I like the simplicity of opera.[/QUOTE]
How is opera compared to firefox, mainly in tab browsing and speed?

[quote name='chaarlieee']How is opera compared to firefox, mainly in tab browsing and speed?[/QUOTE]

I think Opera is believed to be faster and more customizable.

[quote name='Moxio']I think Opera is believed to be faster and more customizable.[/QUOTE]

I used Opera for a while and I would actually say it is slower. I do not know about customization but I have no idea how Firefox could be beat with open source.

Also this version is running nice and quick, I like the faster Fowards and Back thing.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']nah, changed over to opera as firefox was getting to large of a program.

I like the simplicity of opera.[/QUOTE]

word. opera 8.51 just came out too.

[quote name='chaarlieee']How is opera compared to firefox, mainly in tab browsing and speed?[/QUOTE]

Tabbed browsing=the same. I don't see any difference in tabbed browsing between the two.

Speed=I see a slight edge to opera with the edge coming in the lack of memory hogging.

Opera doesn't have all the extensions
but sometimes those extensions get to be so many that I found firefox slowed. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed firefox over the years and still use it from time to time. But right now on my computer things run better, smoother, quicker (and strangly a little brighter) on opera. I'll try out the new firefox after awhile.

Being tech savvy, I'm embarassed to ask, can anyone tell me where I can find the version #? :oops: My Firefox doesn't have an 'about' menu selection unless I got hit w/ something that deletes it but I haven't visited any 'naughty' sites & no one uses this comp except me.

[quote name='jaykrue']Being tech savvy, I'm embarassed to ask, can anyone tell me where I can find the version #? :oops: My Firefox doesn't have an 'about' menu selection unless I got hit w/ something that deletes it but I haven't visited any 'naughty' sites & no one uses this comp except me.[/QUOTE]
On the top, click on help => about mozilla firefox

I downloaded opera earlier and I'm going to try it out for a day or longer to see which one I like better.

[quote name='jaykrue']Being tech savvy, I'm embarassed to ask, can anyone tell me where I can find the version #? :oops: My Firefox doesn't have an 'about' menu selection unless I got hit w/ something that deletes it but I haven't visited any 'naughty' sites & no one uses this comp except me.[/QUOTE]

On my fresh install of Firefox 1.5, I have a Help > About Mozilla Firefox menu option that shows the version number. If you don't have that, you could type about:config in your address bar; I believe the key named extensions.lastAppVersion should show the version of Firefox you are using (it shows 1.5 for mine).

OP or anyone ... Aside from the hyperbole that you state, I am curious what are the big new features that FF1.5 has. Which of the listed features will help me 'rediscover the web!'? I'm pretty illiterate to be honest (2nd definition) with the
language of web browsers, can you or someone else point out the interesting features of this release? (That can be read sarcastically but it is posted in honesty.)

[quote name='blackcracker']Firefox 1.5 FINAL released!
Rediscover the web!

The wait is over. Firefox 1.5 empowers you to browse faster, more safely and more efficiently than with any other browser. Join more than 112 million others and make the switch today — Firefox imports your Favorites, settings and other information, so you have nothing to lose!

Direct FTPs: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/ (currently replicating across mirrors)

Anouncements on www.mozilla.org incoming. Just thought I'd give you all a headsup so you can beat the rush. The installer is in the /release/ dir, so this is the real deal.

What's new in Firefox 1.5?

- Over 3,700 bugfixes, enhancements and changes!
- Faster, more accurate rendering.
- Super-fast back/forward navigation
- Many speed, memory and stability improvements.
- Incremental updates with better UI (updates should be

[quote name='chaarlieee']On the top, click on help => about mozilla firefox

I downloaded opera earlier and I'm going to try it out for a day or longer to see which one I like better.[/QUOTE]
Ok, I think I'm done with opera. :)

For some reason, there is a one second delay when I click on bookmarks. Also, opera won't let me open up multiple home pages like firefox does (maybe opera does, someone has to tell me how to do it though).

My concern is that most of my beloved extensions would cease working as well (as other's have mentioned.) I think I might wait a month or so to give the devs time to update them.

Although Mr. A's comment about FF becoming a large program has been something I've noticed from time to time. I'll check my processes and FF will be using 25-50% of my memory. Even if I close all of my tabs it doesn't really seem to shrink back down.

Help menu, then About Mozilla Firefox. At least in my Windows version, that's the sequence.

Should show something like this for 1.5:

[URL=http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firefox150lt.jpg][/url]

[quote name='Deadpool']Now i feel like a retard.. which one do i DL for windows XP? just the source?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you want the folder that says Win32 and then the extension that ends .exe

[quote name='shrike4242']Help menu, then About Mozilla Firefox. At least in my Windows version, that's the sequence.

Should show something like this for 1.5:

[/QUOTE]

Well this is what I've got (circled in red) :

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm pretty sure you want the folder that says Win32 and then the extension that ends .exe[/QUOTE]

mmmmm.... pretty sure...

[quote name='jaykrue']Well this is what I've got (circled in red) :

[/QUOTE]
I can only wonder what you did to have that not work. :D

Try this:

Go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ .

Do a Properties of firefox.exe.

Go to the version tab, and then select the last entry, Product Version. That should show you which version it is.

That came from my newly installed version of 1.5.

I've been using Firefox 1.0.7 sparingly for a while now. I'd be convinced to make the switch if I could get Session Saver to work properly. Every time I try to reload Firefox after a crash, the tab session becomes corrupt and I lose all my open tabs. Also, does bugmenot still work?

Also, this page has some comparisons of most browser speeds across most platforms.

Seems this version is almost like the devil in disguise. First I lost all my search plugins and bookmarks. I thought ok probably because its a fresh copy. Then when I tried to install the search plugins half of them just show up as blank entries. I looked in the search plugins folder and there were only the basic plugins. I asked someone in the firefox message boards to see if anyone knew about this and they all said that the search plugins have moved to the the profile under documents and settings why the hell did the people decide to do that? Anyways after I deleted the search plugins that are not compatable with firefox, which sucks because I have a bunch that use, seems the extensions all aren't compatable and they won't update so I have to manually search for the latest versions, which turned out to be a tedious process but I ended up finding all of the updates. This is a ridiculous release so now I just downgraded back to 1.0.7 where I know everything will work and I don't have to trim things that I want just because there not compatable.

[quote name='JimmieMac']For a "tech savy" guy you sure do have a bunch of shit in your Quick Launch bar.[/QUOTE]

What can I say? I hate cluttering up my desktop & I don't like using the start menu.

does anyone else have trouble with imageshack?
I csn see thumbnails fine, but whenever I click them, they often dont fully load for some reason,

this has been happening since I had the older version of firefox (the one just before 1.5), anyone know why?

bread's done
Back