Firmware 1.8 Adding PSOne Classics to Vita

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
http://stickskills.com/2012/07/03/f...gn=firmware-1-8-adding-psone-classics-to-vita

Sony promised its fans at this year’s E3 that PSOne Classics would finally make their way to the PlayStation Vita in the summer, and thanks to the upcoming firmware 1.8 update, that promise will be fulfilled.

There are a few caveats, though. First, there’s no official release date for this firmware. It’s expected in the summer, but a month hasn’t been locked down quite yet. Second, and more importantly, not all PSOne Classics will work on the Vita through the first update. Different games will become available as time goes on, and while you won’t have to buy the games multiple times to play them on your different Sony devices, you may not be able to download your favorite game right when this update happens. It’ll happen eventually, but it’ll take some time.

Are you excited to play some of your favorite games on the Vita? Do you think it’ll take too long to get some of the best content on the device? Let us know what you think in the comments below about PSOne Classics on the Vita.

Once again this is great to hear but...

"no official release date for this firmware"
"not all PSOne Classics will work on the Vita through the first update"

I'm honestly curious - what exactly is the draw of PS1 support? Every PS1 classic I've played on the PS3 has not aged well in my opinion - are there some PS1 games that I've just forgotten about that are real standouts?

[quote name='handsomepete']I'm honestly curious - what exactly is the draw of PS1 support? Every PS1 classic I've played on the PS3 has not aged well in my opinion - are there some PS1 games that I've just forgotten about that are real standouts?[/QUOTE]

For me, a lot of it is just having access to a good chunk of my collection on the go. It's nice to be able to dip into the PSX Final Fantasies, Vagrant Story, Resident Evils, Metal Gear, all of that, regardless of having them at home.

I get that it's not a huge necessity, but for me handheld gaming has always been at least a little bit about emulating past titles that the new hardware can handle. I was pretty stoked when I saw there's an FFX remake coming for Vita for this same reason.

All personal preference at the end of the day. I just happen to still love pretty much every PSX game I own.

PS1 games on the 5" OLED should make them look pretty good actually. Not amazing, but the colors will br crisp, yet the image won't be blown up on a 40-50" screen.

If the FF games aren't playable on the first try, the PSBlog will be flamed. This they already know.

Gonna get MGS and play through the series back to back

What ps1 games can the psp not handle? I've not really researched it, but have played Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania: SOTN. Both work great.

[quote name='nickerous']What ps1 games can the psp not handle? I've not really researched it, but have played Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania: SOTN. Both work great.[/QUOTE]

This is for the Vita, as the title says.....Vita

Will I be able to use one save file seamlessly between my PS3 and Vita? Or at the very least will it just be a matter of transferring the file back and forth via USB?

[quote name='humidore']Will I be able to use one save file seamlessly between my PS3 and Vita? Or at the very least will it just be a matter of transferring the file back and forth via USB?[/QUOTE]

We don't know yet, hopefully that's what is taking so long

[quote name='6er']This is for the Vita, as the title says.....Vita[/QUOTE]

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. Why is PS1 support so monumental for the vita when several ps1 games were available for the psp? What I meant was, did the ps1 games suffer on psp? Why were people so up in arms over no ps1 support on vita when psp handled them? Or, is everyone so excited about them on the vita's big screen?

Theoretically, the games will look better. Similar to how PSP games look better on dat OLED. But that's just me guessing. I'm just excited to play SOTN on the go.

[quote name='jwk94']Theoretically, the games will look better. Similar to how PSP games look better on dat OLED. But that's just me guessing. I'm just excited to play SOTN on the go.[/QUOTE]

Indeed they will, and I'm sure they will have several filter options aswell.

Im really anticipating this, its sad when I'm anticipating PS one support THIS much, for a brand new handheld. I just can't pay 40 bucks for a vita game, and they aren't friggin dropping.

[quote name='nickerous']What ps1 games can the psp not handle? I've not really researched it, but have played Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania: SOTN. Both work great.[/QUOTE]
Pocket Fighter and Motor Toon Grand Prix do not work on the PSP and will, presumably, on the Vita. Those are the two I remember off the top of my head. I think one of the more recent releases has the same limitation.

[quote name='nickerous']Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. Why is PS1 support so monumental for the vita when several ps1 games were available for the psp? What I meant was, did the ps1 games suffer on psp? Why were people so up in arms over no ps1 support on vita when psp handled them? Or, is everyone so excited about them on the vita's big screen?[/QUOTE]

One big reason is due to the current lack of games to play on the Vita.

Adding PSone support would boost the amount of content available to play on the system.

I'm personally playing Xenogears through my PSP and would love to play it on my Vita's larger, brighter screen.

I also might purchase FF9 and some other classic RPGs.

I would love to replay Symphony of the Night on the Vita. I want the VIta to have the PS1 support, but if they can do something where it also enchances the PS1 game that would be great.

bread's done
Back