First Blue Dragon Review

[quote name='Zoglog']this game outsold Zelda

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=151799?cid=otc-rss&attr=cvg-general-rss&skip=yes[/QUOTE]

Going off topic, why do people keep bring this up? Outselling Zelda on a console with games more appealing to the Japanese consumer (Wii Sports and Wii Play continue to sell well) isn't saying much, especially about how good this game is. Zelda sold almost twice as much as this game in 2 days. Zelda being outsold isn't shocking at all... what is shocking is seeing how much of a plummet Zelda took after it's first week. Zelda might be huge but guess what, the guy who created Final Fantasy is like a God in Japan. Of course this game still sell in Japan, even on the 360.:lol:

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to this. The artist and composer from Chrono Trigger doing a game with the father of Final Fantasy? Hells yeah I'm buy this game.:D

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You do know that article is out of context.:lol:[/QUOTE]

yup, but it's still impressive that it made 4th in sales rankings considering how many 360's are actually out there in Japan.

the review loses all credibility witht he line, "Twilight Princess isn't the only classic RPG released this Christmas" classic rpg huh.

it's more likely that this game would outsell Zelda due to availability of the Wii.

That being said, this is probably the first game that I'll buy at retail the day it comes out for the 360. With any luck I can do some kind of coupon or something to get it for less than $50, but I won't hold my breath.

[quote name='nasum']it's more likely that this game would outsell Zelda due to availability of the Wii.[/quote]

No--it outsold Zelda because they compared one week's sales out of context. In the week of Dec 4-10 Blue Dragon outsold Zelda. Zelda had launched on the 19th of November, and that's the week Blue Dragon launched. Big deal--everybody who had a Wii already had Zelda. Overall Zelda will spank Blue Dragon hands down.

This game is one of the first compelling reasons to have a 360 for a Japanese consumer. Before there were a couple of games like Dead Rising that were nice, but niche. If they could swing a Dragon Quest 10 exclusive, even for 1 year, the 360 would be in every household!

I'm really interested in Blue Dragon. Hope there's a demo out soon!

[quote name='Kaijufan']I hate Blue Dragon's art style. I am however looking forward to Lost Odyssey.[/QUOTE]

:lol: The art stlye is why it's sellingso well in the first place.

I am curious about how many 360's BD sold.

I'm really excited for this one. To be honest, this could be the Ace in the sleeve for MS, to have the entire creative team of all the best Final Fantasies working for them. I hope Lost Oddessy provides a substantial (but equally as good) counterpoint to Blue Dragon, Giving the RPG gamer something different to choose from.

This whole "It outsold Zelda" stuff is kinda silly. Had they released the same week, it might have been a more fair comparison but they didn't. I think its far more important news that an XBox 360 game actually made it to 4th place on the sales charts.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Will this game work on a American 360 and does anyone know if it is in English?[/QUOTE]
no to both queston

i'm not sure if i read that right. dose it really say under "uppers: Huge challenge spread over 3! DVDs".
three disc's? really? anyone know if this is true. that would make it the first multi-disc 360 game i belive.

[quote name='jz4evr']i'm not sure if i read that right. dose it really say under "uppers: Huge challenge spread over 3! DVDs".
three disc's? really? anyone know if this is true. that would make it the first multi-disc 360 game i belive.[/QUOTE]
asik it is true i remember hearing about this in the ps3 bluray vs 360 debates.

I think the biggest issue of it being on 3 DVD's is if it's mainly FMV cutscenes taking up all that space. If it's like Shenmue and takes up those 3 DVD's in terms of game data THEN that means DVD space won't cut it.
From Software was whining about DVD disc size being too small for "eNCHANT arM" and it's coming out on PS3 so we'll see whether they actually needed it or just wanted to fill up the space with FMV's.
Also I WILL be writing a review when I get it for Christmas. The game's already arrived but it's my parents present. The review will be for got-next.com/ however since I owe a friend for not passing him a review. After that who knows? I still have some import PSP games I can write reviews for and someone will be getting my review of "Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage" for the 360 as well as the Tengai game and many others.

[quote name='jz4evr']i'm not sure if i read that right. dose it really say under "uppers: Huge challenge spread over 3! DVDs".
three disc's? really? anyone know if this is true. that would make it the first multi-disc 360 game i belive.[/QUOTE]

It's true. See guys, DVD was more than big enough for next gen games.

I got my copy of Blue Dragon yesterday. So far, it's pretty good. Definitely high production values, although I personally find the art style (especially the way the main characters are drawn) to be rather off-putting. Everyone looks like a Precious Moments figurine. But aside from that, the graphics are very good. It's hard to tell the rendered cut scenes from the action that you control, and I mean that in a good way.

I've only played about an hour and a half so far, so I'm still just getting into the meat of the combat, magic and skill system. I don't really think it does anything revolutionary, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a very competent Japanese RPG with a few new twists. Actually, come to think of it, this is the first next-gen Japanese RPG that I've played (well, aside from Spectral Force 3, but that's a tactical RPG and it has rather low production values). In fact, Blue Dragon is probably the first honest-to-goodness Japanese next-gen RPG ever (I never played Enchanted Arms, so I can't really comment on that). Ironic that it should show up on the Xbox 360.

Yeah this is pretty much a preview with a review score tacked on to it. It's not even a very extensive preview either - especially since they somehow compare it to Zelda twice, when they're not the same genre at all.

bread's done
Back