First Car Accident

badmrfrosty20

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I got in my first car accident today; i failed to yield the right of way on a left turn. My car is pretty banged up, and I just got it (and my license 8 months ago, too. I'm kind of shaken up by the whole ordeal. Anybody ever been through something like this?

No. I have had my license for three years now, and I haven't been in any car accidents. I'm sorry for your accident, and I hope everyone is okay.

yeah, the first wreck is always bad. Mine happened in the rain when I got broadsided by a truck that didn't have its lights on. It shook me up for a while and I still hesitate on left turns...

I've been in one accident. Wasn't my fault though. I was in the suicide lane (the both ways can turn lane) fully stopped. Some woman made a left turn into the lane, saw I was there, panicked, hit the gas, and slammed into my front driver side bumper. Luckily, there were tons of cars around me, and no less than 4 people offered to witness against her.
Her insurance wound up covering it all, but it still totaled my car. It was complete bullshit too. My car only had cosmetic damage, but because it was old the insurance company told me it was totaled.

At least you weren't this guy:

bad427.jpg

I managed to total a 35,000 dollar sports car. My insurance made it as painless as possible, and there were no tickets involved which always helps. Actually, I ended up money ahead on the deal, maybe you'll be as lucky. This is what we have insurance for. It sucks, but at least you were okay.

In 6 years I've been lucky enough to not have been in an accident. I've never gotten a ticket either. I've never even been pulled over.

[quote name='Moxio']I've never been in an accident, but I have lucked out in several situations.[/quote]

:lol:

Same here. Hell, I nearly get into an accident every day.

Today I was crossing some solid double lines to get from one shopping center across a main road to the other and the stupid car kept going despite there being a red light about 50 feet in front and cars waiting. She almost hit my passenger side.

Long story short, the Carvel was worth it.

I have received speeding tickets though.

I had a 76 year old nun in a Neon swerve into my lane and total my camaro. Her car wasnt totaled, but while my car was spinning the rear axle got torn off among other damages. My insurance company tried to screw me over. I didnt even get a fucking apology from her either, which made me basically say fuck the Catholic religion. I was always taught to ask for forgiveness and this wrinkled old bitch gets to nearly kill me. She got out of her car right afterwards but I couldn't because they needed to use the jaws of life to get me out. Sorry for the rant but thinking about it pisses me off.

Nope, no accidents. But I got worse. My car was stolen a week ago and they found it all stripped of the seats, starter, CD player and a couple things under the hood.

I was drunk a few months ago and i took a turn at 60mph going downhill and lost control of my car and slammed into the curve twice. My car was lowered with a kit, so basically i fucked fucked up my front kit, cracked my rim, fucked my rotor, control arm, etc etc. I couldn't drive the car away and the then some fuckin guy called the cops. The cops were being dicks and shiet. I told them i was drunk and some1 else was driving. They didn't believe the story since i was the only one with marks on me. ( I had called my friends up to help me out, none of them were in the car when this happened). Well long story short the cops let me go without a ticket or anything. I was lucky. I ended paying $1000 to make my car drivable. I havent even replace my rim or my front bumper.

I got in my first car accident today; i failed to yield the right of way on a left turn. My car is pretty banged up, and I just got it (and my license 8 months ago, too. I'm kind of shaken up by the whole ordeal. Anybody ever been through something like this?

The same thing happened to me when I had my license for about that same amount of time. The cop was a total bitch and gave me a moving violation. My car was totaled and my insurance rates went through the roof. Hopefully your situation turns out better than mine.

[quote name='Will1234']

The same thing happened to me when I had my license for about that same amount of time. The cop was a total bitch and gave me a moving violation. My car was totaled and my insurance rates went through the roof. Hopefully your situation turns out better than mine.[/quote]

Actually, the same exact thing will happen to me. I'm also getting a moving violation, although I'm going to try and argue it down a bit and get it off my record. How much was it, and how high did your insurance go up?

I plowed into a minivan about 8 months after getting my license. Thought she was making a right when she rolled forward, and I tried to roll out with her.

[quote name='daphatty']First major accident in only 8 months of driving? Oh yea, your insurance rates (or your parents) are gonna skyrocket.[/quote]

Like, 3x skyrocket.

Hell, if/when I get convicted of my traffic ticket my rates will be like 1.5x higher. For a ticket.
Granted that was over a month ago and they never mailed me my court date! Maybe they forgot! mUAHAHAHA!

I look forward to getting pulled over and the cop telling me there's a warrant out for my arrest b/c the ticket got lost in the mail.

Actually, the same exact thing will happen to me. I'm also getting a moving violation, although I'm going to try and argue it down a bit and get it off my record. How much was it, and how high did your insurance go up?

I went to court and entered a "guilty not accepted" plea. I signed a paper and paid about $100. It didn't show up on my record because I went a year without getting another ticket or getting into an accident. They should allow you to do the same sort of thing. As for my insurance rates, they went up pretty high, I think they almost doubled.
They are starting to go down a little bit though.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Nope, no accidents. But I got worse. My car was stolen a week ago and they found it all stripped of the seats, starter, CD player and a couple things under the hood.[/quote]

that sucks ass. I hope they catch that asshole

My first accident was really bad. Drunk pedestrian + crossing highway in black clothes + 1 AM = Bad Results. Pretty much left school because of that, and it is one of the reasons I am living at home again

not my fault, but still am shookin up because of it

im a very very cautious driver. even though racing your car isnt a good idea.......ive never been in an accident and ive raced on some busy streets.........too bad i wont be able to drive for another 2 yrs.......

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']Nope, no accidents. But I got worse. My car was stolen a week ago and they found it all stripped of the seats, starter, CD player and a couple things under the hood.[/quote]

My first accident was really bad. Drunk pedestrian + crossing highway in black clothes + 1 AM = Bad Results. Pretty much left school because of that, and it is one of the reasons I am living at home again

not my fault, but still am shookin up because of it[/quote]

:shock: Holy shit ... I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to me ...

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']Nope, no accidents. But I got worse. My car was stolen a week ago and they found it all stripped of the seats, starter, CD player and a couple things under the hood.[/quote]

:shock: Holy shit ... I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to me ...[/quote]

yea it was nuts. I was coming home from Spring Break to study for an Accounting test when it happened.

[quote name='badmrfrosty20']I got in my first car accident today; i failed to yield the right of way on a left turn. My car is pretty banged up, and I just got it (and my license 8 months ago, too. I'm kind of shaken up by the whole ordeal. Anybody ever been through something like this?[/quote]

nope I have so far only gotten into accidents with parked cars, walls, ralings, and other non moving objects at very low speeds so luckly I'm still in the clear as far as accidients go.

[quote name='daphatty']First major accident in only 8 months of driving? Oh yea, your insurance rates (or your parents) are gonna skyrocket.[/quote]

.....I died a little inside when I saw that.

hows the job?

Don't worry too much about it. The key is that everybody was okay. Your insurance will cover it, and hopefully you'll learn from this...

[quote name='RandyTsai']I was drunk a few months ago and i took a turn at 60mph going downhill and lost control of my car and slammed into the curve twice. My car was lowered with a kit, so basically i shaq-fued shaq-fued up my front kit, cracked my rim, shaq-fued my rotor, control arm, etc etc. I couldn't drive the car away and the then some shaq-fuin guy called the cops. The cops were being dicks and shiet. I told them i was drunk and some1 else was driving. They didn't believe the story since i was the only one with marks on me. ( I had called my friends up to help me out, none of them were in the car when this happened). Well long story short the cops let me go without a ticket or anything. I was lucky. I ended paying $1000 to make my car drivable. I havent even replace my rim or my front bumper.[/quote]

Not cool at all, I have lost 4 famliy members from drunk drivers...

I totaled a Mercury Bobcat in 1982. For those who know the San Fernando Valley, I headed up Tampa towards Ventura Blvd. when I T-boned a Datsun 240Z at the Victory intersection. It was about 2 AM and I can't really say if it was me or the other guy who ran the light.

My crankcase opened up on impact and the gush of oil caused my to spin around several times until I came to rest in the exact opposite position and direction in the intersection. The seatbelt definitely did its job. Considering the bruise I had running diagonally across my chest I can only wonder how badly I would have smash my face on the steering wheel otherwise.

I was pretty dazed and when I came to it was to the voices of some passing stoners going, "Dude, dude, are you alright?" As Igathered my wits I horrified to discover I couldn't find my glasses. Since my driver's license plainly indicates I cannot drive without corrective lenses and my car was ina position that could put my story in doubt, I got pretty worried. First, I had to gather up all of the 5.25" floppies. I was coming from a friends house where I'd just gotten a bunch of Atari 800 software. The box had beeen on the passenger seat and it opened up when it hit the windshield, sending the contents all over. Once I had the floppies out of the way I managed to find my glasses lodged under the passenger seat. The bruise on my chest didn't hurt yet so this was the first indication of just how bad it could have been if my whole body wasn't belted in place.

It was pretty bad at the time but nobody had anything worse than bruises and ruined cars.

My sister had a bad one last spring. It was Spring of last year when I got a call from Allison asking if I could come get her. I was surprised since she'd only left the house a few minutes earlier. She had just gotten to the main artery on her way to the 126 when this 16 year old with a shiny new license and a shiny new Jeep tried to pull out to make a fst left. She was looking for oncoming traffic up the road and failed to notice my sister's Suburu Outback immediately in front of her. Weird thing was that the girl's name was also Allison. She was so hysterical that my sister had to calm her down so she could call her parents. MY sister's car was wrecked but she had to play surrogate mommy to the one who'd done the damage.

[quote name='el bobo'][quote name='RandyTsai']I was drunk a few months ago and i took a turn at 60mph going downhill and lost control of my car and slammed into the curve twice. My car was lowered with a kit, so basically i shaq-fued shaq-fued up my front kit, cracked my rim, shaq-fued my rotor, control arm, etc etc. I couldn't drive the car away and the then some shaq-fuin guy called the cops. The cops were being dicks and shiet. I told them i was drunk and some1 else was driving. They didn't believe the story since i was the only one with marks on me. ( I had called my friends up to help me out, none of them were in the car when this happened). Well long story short the cops let me go without a ticket or anything. I was lucky. I ended paying $1000 to make my car drivable. I havent even replace my rim or my front bumper.[/quote]

Not cool at all, I have lost 4 famliy members from drunk drivers...[/quote]

Wow. That really, really sucks, man. Were they close members?

Man, dealing with that must be hell.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']Nope, no accidents. But I got worse. My car was stolen a week ago and they found it all stripped of the seats, starter, CD player and a couple things under the hood.[/quote]

:shock: Holy shit ... I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to me ...[/quote]

yea it was nuts. I was coming home from Spring Break to study for an Accounting test when it happened.[/quote]

Well, I got another car already. I just left my old car at the towing station. BTW, I hate people that work for towing co. They're the most depressed, sad, meanest people I've ever had to talk to. Just talking with the towing people was a pain in the ass cause they didn't want to help me. They were extremly rude, it was in a very bad part of town, bums sleeping outside, and the fat ugly lady I was talking to kept snorting up her snot. She was extremly disgusting. I just wanted to get out of their before their depression rubbed off on me.

I don't know if this is true (probably wouldnt work in your case anyway if your a minor because I think you have to appear in court), but I read that if you get a ticket you have to mail in you write a check for a little more than the amount you're suppose to say (ex: if the ticket is for $102 you write the check for $105). When they send you back the return check for the extra $3 or whatever you just dont cash it. I read that as long as you dont cash the check the transaction is not complete and they can't put points on your liscense.

My first accident was a while ago when I was just starting to get driving. My parents got a nice used car that would be mine when I got my license, which we had to go about an hour and a half away to get it. By the time we got close to my home, it was night time. My mom asks me if I want to drive the rest of the way home, I say "Not really." So she has my dad pull into a parking lot so I could drive, despite me saying I didn't want to.

Being tired from the long ride and being in a new car that I hadn't gotten to drive at all. I wasn't used to the how the manual shifting was since the previous car I drove had it next to the steering wheel. I accidentally put it in drive and hit the car in front of me. It was an SUV, so my car got all the damage. We left because we didn't want to wait however long 'til they got back, so I drove home and my dad took the blame for it and was charged with hit and run driving in a parking lot. I'm grateful for it since I probably would've gotten my temp-license suspended or something like that.

I got over it, the looks like it did before, and I've become a better driver for it. I've almost been hit by dumbass drivers a few times in Ohio. With people not seeing me when they should be paying attention.

one accident SUV ran into my husband and i (husband was driving) in rear end cuz she didn't notice the red light hit us so hard that we hit the car in front of us and that car hit the next car and so on and so fourth for 5 cars... air bags didn't go off hubby sill has wrist problems car was half the size it was when we got in it and there was gas everwhere lucky it didn't blow up from a spark oh and it had less than 10000 miles on it it was a honda civic jsut over 6 months old, hit by landrover... i image her insurance went up big time as she had to pay for five cars plus her own and my car buy itself cost the insurance company 18000$ and the irony of it is i got an increase in my insurance premium because she hit me... and she even got a ticket from the cops too and still my insurance went up... grrrrr..

be carful driving, it's dangerous... perhaps this accident will make you more vigilent and prevent a more serious one in the future.

My mom backed up her PT Cruiser out of her garage into my dad's truck because she didn't see the truck when she lookked back. I think she didn't have her glasses on, which she is blind without. She worked at Sam's Club for 20 years without seeing that there were signs above the aisles. Luckily the truck got no damage at all and the Cruiser had a big dent in the back door. He was able to use one of those dent removers and save hundreds of dollars by getting most of it out.

Until last year, I had been driving for five years with no problems. However, in the past 17 months, I've been hit three times, none of which were my fault. I have really bad luck out there on the road, apparently.

The first time, a tractor trailer ran off the road, overcorrected, and hit me, tearing the roof of my car like the lid off a can of sardines (while I was in it). That totaled my car. More details on that one in this thread. The second accident, an old guy turned right on red but didn't see me in the intersection. He clipped my car and left only minor scratches. Just a few weeks ago, I had a green light at an intersection, but yielded to an ambulance that was trying to enter the intersection. A lady was talking on her cell phone and ran right into the back of me at 35 mph. He car is totaled and mine needs a new bumper.

I was fine after my first accident, but after being hit twice again, and witnessing a bad bus accident in Sweden this summer (link1 link2), I'm a bit nervous on the road, especially around tractor trailers.

[quote name='badmrfrosty20'][quote name='el bobo'][quote name='RandyTsai']I was drunk a few months ago and i took a turn at 60mph going downhill and lost control of my car and slammed into the curve twice. My car was lowered with a kit, so basically i shaq-fued shaq-fued up my front kit, cracked my rim, shaq-fued my rotor, control arm, etc etc. I couldn't drive the car away and the then some shaq-fuin guy called the cops. The cops were being dicks and shiet. I told them i was drunk and some1 else was driving. They didn't believe the story since i was the only one with marks on me. ( I had called my friends up to help me out, none of them were in the car when this happened). Well long story short the cops let me go without a ticket or anything. I was lucky. I ended paying $1000 to make my car drivable. I havent even replace my rim or my front bumper.[/quote]

Not cool at all, I have lost 4 famliy members from drunk drivers...[/quote]

Wow. That really, really sucks, man. Were they close members?

Man, dealing with that must be hell.[/quote]

Two of them were, my two uncles, but the other two were aunts, and I didn't know them. It wasn't too horrible, but my mom was wreaked all but one of her brothers/sisters died. She is okay now, but still that must be pretty rough going through that.

I was really shaken up with my only accident, and it wasn't really a serious accident. I was impacted in the driver's side by a huge SUV (we were both going to fast in a parking lot). Because I was hit on the side, the other driver was at fault. The accident totalled my car (it was old, so it was worth very little), and I still get a little nervous when cars head towards my side. Like with the OP's case, everyone was okay, which is what really mattered... and chalk it up as a learning experience.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I was drunk a few months ago and i took a turn at 60mph going downhill and lost control of my car and slammed into the curve twice. My car was lowered with a kit, so basically i shaq-fued shaq-fued up my front kit, cracked my rim, shaq-fued my rotor, control arm, etc etc. I couldn't drive the car away and the then some shaq-fuin guy called the cops. The cops were being dicks and shiet. I told them i was drunk and some1 else was driving. They didn't believe the story since i was the only one with marks on me. ( I had called my friends up to help me out, none of them were in the car when this happened). Well long story short the cops let me go without a ticket or anything. I was lucky. I ended paying $1000 to make my car drivable. I havent even replace my rim or my front bumper.[/quote]

I don't feel particularly sympathetic to this story since 1) you were driving drunk, 2) you were not arrested for driving drunk, and 3) you were driving drunk in a suped up car.

My first and only accident happened at work. I was delivering for Cousins Subs and hit a delivery driver from a pizza place.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Until last year, I had been driving for five years with no problems. However, in the past 17 months, I've been hit three times, none of which were my fault. I have really bad luck out there on the road, apparently.
[/quote]

Just remember, once is an accident, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.

It was raining and I skidded into the back of a bronco with a plow kit that hit the car in front of him. 3 cars, not bad. The worst part was that it was right in front of my highschool so everyone saw or actually heard it first...

One of my freinds was driving his car and lost control, swerving off the road.

He was instantly killed by a thick wood fence beam that went right through him.

Very disturbing, and he was young, too.

[quote name='Staind204']I don't know if this is true (probably wouldnt work in your case anyway if your a minor because I think you have to appear in court), but I read that if you get a ticket you have to mail in you write a check for a little more than the amount you're suppose to say (ex: if the ticket is for $102 you write the check for $105). When they send you back the return check for the extra $3 or whatever you just dont cash it. I read that as long as you dont cash the check the transaction is not complete and they can't put points on your liscense.[/quote]

It's not.

bread's done
Back